Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

chumbler posted:

Where's the Xenoblade X port, nintendo?

I'm up for it even though at this rate I'm never even going to finish the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
put poppi in smash you cowards

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

theshim posted:

she'd be too OP, it would kill the game

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

theshim posted:

People would complain about having to play :bahgawd:Tiger, Tiger:bahgawd:.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

Where's the Xenoblade X port, nintendo?

Kind of hoping that gets the full remake treatment.

Monolith is probably in the Zelda mines currently, though.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 19, 2021

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

OK goons, tell me: should I play Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

I've already spent dozens of hours with XBC:DE (currently up to Mechonis Field). I've enjoyed it greatly, despite going in with minimal anime experience beyond Zelda and Pokemon. I'd also like to check out the sequel now that it has a representative in Smash. Besides, after yesterday's Direct, I don't have many Switch titles on my radar.

Here are a few of my favorite things about the first game:
  • gorgeous, immersive worlds with secret locations, not unlike Breath of the Wild
  • the staggering array of wildlife, which really puts BotW to shame; this game deserves some kind of award for outstanding achievement in huge arachnids
  • the excellent soundtrack, especially the classical/ambient arrangements
  • dozens of alternate costumes
  • seemingly hundreds of sidequests - even the tedious ones are repetitive in a therapeutic way
  • combat, for the most part (I still get overwhelmed at times by all the different systems, so I'm frequently grateful for Casual Mode)
  • a strong, surprisingly layered main cast, without any particularly grating personalities
  • Miqol's voice actor, and the voice acting in general, although that might just be all the posh British accents clouding my judgment
I also like the sheer ambition of the plot, which starts as a quaint coming-of-age tale and doubles in scope every couple of hours. It just keeps introducing new wrinkles and twists, even if some of them miss the mark. I wasn't a huge fan of the Alcamoth chapter, which seemed to halt the momentum of the main story. I could probably do without Alvis, too.

Again, just looking for opinions on XBC2. Even though I'll probably buy it regardless. :homebrew:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

XBC2 offers much of the same (except for the costumes) but with a slight reduction in the amount of "bring me 10 caterpile asses" sidequests. The combat is a little different as your characters will be switching weapons/movesets on the fly, but with the caveat that any character can fill the tank/dps/healer role depending on the blade assigned to them. And unlike Sharla, the healing blades actually provide useful damage output in addition to their utility.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

And Tyler Too! posted:

XBC2 offers much of the same (except for the costumes) but with a slight reduction in the amount of "bring me 10 caterpile asses" sidequests. The combat is a little different as your characters will be switching weapons/movesets on the fly, but with the caveat that any character can fill the tank/dps/healer role depending on the blade assigned to them. And unlike Sharla, the healing blades actually provide useful damage output in addition to their utility.

Seconding the recommendation. The world of 2 feels a bit less open because you can't just walk everywhere (you have to fast travel between different "Titans"), but it's still gorgeous. You will meet many of your favorite monsters (including Territorial Rotbart and Immovable Gonzalez), and the characters are very likeable. The design of some of the "Blades" can be a bit off putting, though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Worse story (in most people's opinion), better* gameplay (in my opinion), it's more of the same.

*as long as you can stomach the Blade gacha seriously who thought it was a good idea.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

XC2 isn’t as good as the first one but it’ll definitely scratch the same itch. But beat the first game first!

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

Immovable Gonzalez

This was the first time I took a screenshot of a monster name. I absolutely lost my poo poo. And then when I found his friend Gentle Rodriguez I lost my poo poo AGAIN.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I found the gameplay and combat systems in 2 to be a lot better than 1 because they're more focused and less daunting. The first game basically has you set up an MMO skill bar, the second game only has four abilities available at a time and has restrictions on how you swap to other blades to get to 4 new ones. It's not perfect, I definitely got systems fatigue after a while of more and more new systems and terminology for the game, but once you understand it it flows really, really well. And there's several things you can just ignore unless you really want to min-max for secret bosses and such or doing NG+, like the mercenary missions or pouch stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My only gripe with XBC2 is the literal gacha system for unlocking the unique blades, and the fact that Overdrive Protocol is extremely goddamned rare so if you got a blade on one character than you wanted on another, sucks to be you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The blade gacha is not a bad idea in theory for making a playthrough feel somewhat individualized, but like come on guys, you have to know how human minds respond to that sort of thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

And Tyler Too! posted:

My only gripe with XBC2 is the literal gacha system for unlocking the unique blades, and the fact that Overdrive Protocol is extremely goddamned rare so if you got a blade on one character than you wanted on another, sucks to be you.

That said, grabbing the DLC (which you should do anyway, because the 'expansion'/quasi prequel game Tora is arguably even better than the main game itself) largely neutralizes these complaints; you get enough Overdrive Protocols to, if not use them freely, at least move enough essentials to be perfectly fine so long as you plan a little bit, and the combination of piles of extra crystals, and the unique DLC specific blades (especially Corvin and Cosette) are good enough to more than cover any Gacha gaps you might have.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 18, 2021

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The gacha thing can also basically be considered a non-issue because standard rare blades can actually be way, WAY better than any of the unique named ones. All the crystals you get through normal play will unlock plenty of dudes. If there is a specific unique one you want so you can see the story content with them and their side quests and poo poo then yeah it does suck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The gacha thing can also basically be considered a non-issue because standard rare blades can actually be way, WAY better than any of the unique named ones. All the crystals you get through normal play will unlock plenty of dudes. If there is a specific unique one you want so you can see the story content with them and their side quests and poo poo then yeah it does suck.
i mean, using the characters with unique designs feels better than the ones with generic designs. thats just basic fact. they have unique animations, voice lines, etc. its a video game, 'feel good' is 99% of the engagement and the actual mechanics are just there to try and facilitate that

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean, using the characters with unique designs feels better than the ones with generic designs. thats just basic fact. they have unique animations, voice lines, etc. its a video game, 'feel good' is 99% of the engagement and the actual mechanics are just there to try and facilitate that

You get like a dozen unique blades through the story to use if you care that much about their aesthetics.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There are enough 5* Unique blades you can get through the story and side quests, the DLC if you get it, plus the five pity blades you will get based on random numbers, that you can have a good variety. Unfortunately, if you want specific random rare blades you’re probably gonna be using a lot of legendary cores, especially for blades like KOS-MOS who have a <1% chance of appearing.

I guess you have to randomly pull the NG+ blades too, right? That is one of the reasons I’ve been hesitant about doing NG+ but with the Pyra/Mythra in Smash announcement I’m really feeling it

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have gotten exactly one 4* generic blade, and I almost have all of the unique ones. The 4* blades are rarer than the "rare" blades.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A good 4* generic blade is rarer, yeah. They can have that double orb skill where it produces a second, random-colored orb when you do a special with them which some people think makes them better than many rare blades. But I never had a problem beating the high-level unique monsters with my rare blades so :shrug:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I think this is a bit overstated; it's technically true, I guess, but it requires an engagement level with the game and amount of expertise and effort to find and farm a 'good' non-unique blade that just isn't commensurate with the degree to which they may or may not be better.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You get like a dozen unique blades through the story to use if you care that much about their aesthetics.

But I want the ones the game won't loving give me

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Optimist Prime posted:

OK goons, tell me: should I play Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Yes and if you decide to do this, get the DLC as well. It adds QOL stuff, some fun quests, bonus goodies, extra blades that fill some gaps, arena quests to unlock more goodies and blades.

Plus an entire extra prequel with new areas, teammates, and iteration on the gameplay mechanics. As a prequel it's full of heavy background spoilers of course.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The bigger thing is that you don't really need any of the non-story blades at all for the main story. Wulfric and Mythra are very good damage blades, Brighid is one of the best tank blades in the game and even though Dromarch is one of the worst unique healers, he still has a break art and a group heal and that's all you really need. You can easily find generic blades if you need to fill out your roster's blade combos a bit. You'll still need to pull blades for field skills but you don't need additional combat blades at all.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There are enough 5* Unique blades you can get through the story and side quests, the DLC if you get it, plus the five pity blades you will get based on random numbers, that you can have a good variety. Unfortunately, if you want specific random rare blades you’re probably gonna be using a lot of legendary cores, especially for blades like KOS-MOS who have a <1% chance of appearing.

I guess you have to randomly pull the NG+ blades too, right? That is one of the reasons I’ve been hesitant about doing NG+ but with the Pyra/Mythra in Smash announcement I’m really feeling it

New game plus is fun! Yeah, you do need to pull the NG+ Blades but I didn't find it to be too bad. I luckshat Obrona onto Nia very early on and drat is she a fun Blade!

CaptainPsyko posted:

I think this is a bit overstated; it's technically true, I guess, but it requires an engagement level with the game and amount of expertise and effort to find and farm a 'good' non-unique blade that just isn't commensurate with the degree to which they may or may not be better.

I never bothered with any of the generic Blades and I still managed to beat all the Superbosses. :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes but people want the unique rare blades and if they know there are unique rare blades they dont have, theyll want them

most actual gacha games are perfectly clearable with low rarity units you get for free, but fate/grand order still makes millions of dollars a day

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

yes but people want the unique rare blades and if they know there are unique rare blades they dont have, theyll want them

most actual gacha games are perfectly clearable with low rarity units you get for free, but fate/grand order still makes millions of dollars a day

Yeah this is the long and the short of it, alot of people want the cool poo poo. The whole system is built to make you want the cool poo poo, you can clear the main campaign easily with whatever Blades but alot of people will still want the unique with the best designs or most OP abilities

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Silver Falcon posted:

New game plus is fun! Yeah, you do need to pull the NG+ Blades but I didn't find it to be too bad. I luckshat Obrona onto Nia very early on and drat is she a fun Blade!

I never bothered with any of the generic Blades and I still managed to beat all the Superbosses. :shrug:

Exactly. Maximizing a generic blade is firmly into win-more/time trial/speed runner/Doing Stupid CharOp Tricks territory.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I just started playing XC2 after playing XC:DE and loving it, but the one thing that makes me want to just stop playing is how terrible the minimap and compass is in XC2 in comparison to DE. It's borderline useless, especially when all the little distance icons on the compass start overlapping.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yetee's graphic t-shirts of the day are XC1 and XC2 cast arrangements, in case somebody was interested

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Going to go against the grain and say give it a chance but only a small one. I'm a big fan of the original and I'm currently about midway through the DE but XB2 was a huge disappointment to me.

Tutorials were really poor, gameplay systems take forever to get interesting, character designs are awful and the voice acting was a significant step back from the first game. Story was even more bizarre than the first game and yet the themes were even simpler and less interesting. Super cringey female designs and the godawful gacha system just added insult to injury. The Poppi minigame was a final gently caress you and really hammered home that the devs either hate the players or just entirely lack respect for their time.

The first game you could sort of zone out and grind the miniquests but nearly everything in the second game feels like a tedious grind that also requires you to pay attention.

Anyways don't be me who kept thinking it would get better and dump trucked time into it, thinking things open up, watching 30 minute YouTube videos about the combat because the games tutorials are so poorly implemented and hoping it gets better in X hours. If you don't like it in the first 5-10 hours just give up because the things you dislike just get way worse.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

The Gunslinger posted:

Going to go against the grain and say give it a chance but only a small one. I'm a big fan of the original and I'm currently about midway through the DE but XB2 was a huge disappointment to me.

Tutorials were really poor, gameplay systems take forever to get interesting, character designs are awful and the voice acting was a significant step back from the first game. Story was even more bizarre than the first game and yet the themes were even simpler and less interesting. Super cringey female designs and the godawful gacha system just added insult to injury. The Poppi minigame was a final gently caress you and really hammered home that the devs either hate the players or just entirely lack respect for their time.

The first game you could sort of zone out and grind the miniquests but nearly everything in the second game feels like a tedious grind that also requires you to pay attention.

Anyways don't be me who kept thinking it would get better and dump trucked time into it, thinking things open up, watching 30 minute YouTube videos about the combat because the games tutorials are so poorly implemented and hoping it gets better in X hours. If you don't like it in the first 5-10 hours just give up because the things you dislike just get way worse.

Frankly I agree with everything you said, except that the sidequests in 2 are also just significantly worse. 1's sidequests are all usually short and if they're longer are segmented into separate quests which each give a reward while 2's just feel like they drag on and on and on forever while feeling like they give basically the exact same as one quest in 1. The lack of an NPC affinity chart and the sidequests just not feeling like they were interesting at all unless they were about a particular Blade (and even then were pretty hit or miss) also made it really hard to care for anyone, while I'm always surprised going back to 1 how much the NPC Affinity chart forcing me to track down NPCs and actually make it easy to remember specific names and their rough traits and relationships made me actually invested in these rando NPCs even if it's just "help my child got stuck on this reef find him".

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
XC2 deserves every criticism it gets, and it's also my favorite in the series.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Detective Eyestorm posted:

This is completely fair and deserved for XC2 and I 100% agree with it. :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So now that I'm emulating my Wii-U on my PC with CEMU, I'm finally getting some real mileage from XBX. I liked this game on console, but the font was so small and my couch is like 8 feet back from my TV. It was borderline unreadable, and I have 20/20 vision. Having it on PC is beautiful! 60FPS, 4K resolution, including 21x9 if I don't mind a stretched UI, and the game just feels right at home. I absolutely love how much detail and care went into making NLA. And while I prefer the characters and music (and story) of the original Xenoblade Chronicles, this game is still very well put together and I'm looking forward to putting more time into it. Currently I'm only about 10 hours in.

I'm also pumped as poo poo to get a Switch next month and getting to reply XBC again as well as XB2. Love this series!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Detective Eyestorm posted:

Same but XCX. XC2 gets more criticism than it deserves :colbert:.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I also fired up XCX on cEmu and it’s mostly great, but are you getting weird jitter/stutter during cutscenes in 60fps mode? Any idea how to fix it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aerox posted:

I also fired up XCX on cEmu and it’s mostly great, but are you getting weird jitter/stutter during cutscenes in 60fps mode? Any idea how to fix it?

I was until I switched back from Vulkan to OpenGL, then made sure the async option was turned on. So far has t been an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I was until I switched back from Vulkan to OpenGL, then made sure the async option was turned on. So far has t been an issue.

That fixed it; thanks!