Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The slightly contrasting color is deeply offensive

First time seeing a KTM? OEM and Aftermarket orange parts all manage to be a slightly different shade of orange. Partly because orange anodize is difficult to get a consistent result from, partly because KTM doesn't care, partly because KTM owners are not discerning when it comes to bling. Even when it comes to stickers or decals, it's all varying shades of orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On a 390 even the factory parts stop being the same shade of orange after a while. You can always spot a commuter cause the frame will have faded to near yellow.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Slavvy posted:

On a 390 even the factory parts stop being the same shade of orange after a while. You can always spot a commuter cause the frame will have faded to near yellow.

So KTM frame colour fade can be treated the same as chicken strips?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

KTM owners are not discerning when it comes to bling.

You saw that swingarm (and its price) right?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes, and I'd like to call "right arm" to the stand to testify to the fact that money/taste/restraint is no object as long as it's ktm colorway bling.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

Yes, and I'd like to call "right arm" to the stand to testify to the fact that money/taste/restraint is no object as long as it's ktm colorway bling.

:wave:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You could trap ktm owners for study using an anodised orange widget, a tv box and a stick.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Worth watching for the end.
https://i.imgur.com/t3Uhnz6.mp4

Slavvy posted:

You could trap ktm owners for study using an anodised orange widget, a tv box and a stick.

True. I bought some valve stem caps with valve stem core removers in them in bright orange. If I ever get a husky I’m 100% buying blue wheels with blue hubs. Maybe also blue rims.

builds character fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 10, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

True. I bought some valve stem caps with valve stem core removers in them in bright orange.

Lol I’ve got those too 😎

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Isnt that the enduro bike built from a gixxer :q:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
An RD350 spec race from 1983 at Donington park where some young kid named Niall Mackenzie gets second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGz00VTKgQ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Behold, the most Honda thing Honda ever put on a Honda:

It's a sight glass windscreen wiper, you turn the bit in the middle with a screwdriver and it has a little squeegee blade on the inside that wipes the crap off the glass.

It ticks all the Honda boxes:
- innovation nobody asked for or really needed
- fiendishly clever yet robust design
- technically does DO something, but nothing particularly useful or helpful
- only available on select models

Skreemer posted:

An RD350 spec race from 1983 at Donington park where some young kid named Niall Mackenzie gets second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGz00VTKgQ

Watched this last night, excellent racing.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 11, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Slavvy posted:

Behold, the most Honda thing Honda ever put on a Honda:

It's a sight glass windscreen wiper, you turn the bit in the middle with a screwdriver and it has a little squeegee blade on the inside that wipes the crap off the glass.

It ticks all the Honda boxes:
- innovation nobody asked for or really needed
- fiendishly clever yet robust design
- technically does DO something, but nothing particularly useful or helpful
- only available on select models

My GL1100 had it and so does my (now) CB400F.
They're wonderful and you're right. Quintessential Honda.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you need to squeegee the inside of your sight glass you need an oil change anyway. I've never needed this feature, and would prefer less holes in my engine/sight glass. I suppose it's better than a dipstick you have to stand the bike upright to use.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

If you need to squeegee the inside of your sight glass you need an oil change anyway. I've never needed this feature, and would prefer less holes in my engine/sight glass. I suppose it's better than a dipstick you have to stand the bike upright to use.

Harleys are designed to use the dipstick on the side stand :smug:

This never, ever causes problems when people change wheels or suspension, of course.

Also: when the gl1100 was new it would have been helpful because oils weren't anywhere near as good at absorbing and carrying away combustion byproducts so goo buildup wasn't unusual.

It is completely redundant on the efi cb1300f I took the picture of, literally only there to add to the bike's prestige in the most nerdy, hard to notice way aka pure strain Honda thinking.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 11, 2021

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

God dammit, Honda, that's so cute.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Harleys are designed to use the dipstick on the side stand :smug:

This never, ever causes problems when people change wheels or suspension, of course.

:eng99: I never considered that. I'll never complain about having to check a sight glass or dipstick upright again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m curious how that doesn’t leak after being exposed to thousands of miles of road grime on the outside and oil crud on the inside

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m curious how that doesn’t leak after being exposed to thousands of miles of road grime on the outside and oil crud on the inside

It's made by Honda, you heathen!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a tiny spring loaded shaft seal :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honda loves making very tiny fully functional versions of regular sized parts. It's kawaii

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Same with my GL1100, except like everything else on that bike it has deteriorated to nigh uselessness and doesn’t wipe anything clean for poo poo.
Granted, the bike sat non-operational in a crusty hovel of a garage for who knows how long and the owner had been dead for about six years and I still rode that bike around for several months, and it would probably still start tomorrow if I asked it to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

It's made by Honda, you heathen!

I don’t doubt that it works perfectly, I just want to know HOW

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

(apologies for posting Reddit/FB content)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that's sick. some of my best memories after my mom passed was spending Quality Shed Time putting her new gas tank on her Magna after she dented the original in a tip over and never got to put the new one she bought on.

rebuilding her CRF230L was a pain in the loving dick though :D

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's a woman! On a motorbike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocIH8rBdJ8

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like the passing mention towards the end of the incredibly regressive boxing-style rider weight brackets that were implemented purely to stop women attempting to race the fast bikes.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
"That better be a rock.

.... oh god dammit"

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

LodeRunner posted:

"That better be a rock.

.... oh god dammit"

Ehh, that's pretty much as good a spot as you could hope for for a patch.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Let's put a sexually suggestive comment in there.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

prukinski posted:

Ehh, that's pretty much as good a spot as you could hope for for a patch.

Yeah I patched it today. Also took the extra 15 minutes to wipe down my rim which will look nice for all of a week. But hey that's the only time I can easily get to the drat thing.

edit- now time to tear apart the Brammo to attempt a diagnosis

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 19, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Let's put a sexually suggestive comment in there.

Been watching Ryan F9 eh.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LodeRunner posted:

Yeah I patched it today. Also took the extra 15 minutes to wipe down my rim which will look nice for all of a week. But hey that's the only time I can easily get to the drat thing.

edit- now time to tear apart the Brammo to attempt a diagnosis

You don’t need to tear it apart for diagnosis, I can tell you from here it was a nail.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hah

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You don’t need to tear it apart for diagnosis, I can tell you from here it was a nail.

Hooo boy do I have the Instagram for you

https://instagram.com/punhubonline

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE NAIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Isn’t parking like this flirting with disaster?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For that guy, yes. Maybe he had a Harley before that bike? They have a stand that locks into place when the bike's weight is on it so they physically can't roll forward off the stand unless you stand them upright to release the lock.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Well the sign would stop it anyway. But you'd also have to reverse up the hill to get away feom there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

For that guy, yes. Maybe he had a Harley before that bike? They have a stand that locks into place when the bike's weight is on it so they physically can't roll forward off the stand unless you stand them upright to release the lock.

The locking side stand is, and I say this with no hint of irony or hyperbole, Harley’s greatest contribution to motorcycling.

It’s THAT good of an idea and it blows my mind that no other manufacturers have copied it

I wonder if it has something to do with the fear of the side stand locking if you take off with it extended? Either way Honda could engineer around that I’m sure