Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Thinking I will get a Mister at some point this year mainly for arcade and microcomputer stuff, since I am pretty flushed with home consoles. I'm very excited to see that Cave Gen 1 and CPS2 appear to be possible, but I would plunk down the cash immediately if CPS3 or CV1000 (Mushihimesama, Espgaluda, etc) ever get supported. Is there any hope either will be possible some day? It wouldn't be a deal breaker if not but it would definitely increase my incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm not a dev but I think the current big projects are hitting the limits of both what the system can handle and what devs can possibly do.

PS1 will be coming eventually, and the guy who did the SNES core (srg320) has started a Saturn project recently but even he's not sure if it'll fit in the MiSTer.

Jotego (the dev on the CPS1 and 2 cores) said this last year when he was working on CPS1 and was asked if CPS3 was possible:

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1260651228507168768

MiSTer is a massive amazing project already, but I think the the big exciting leaps still available will be older items still in progress, like the X68000, PC88, and PC98 cores.

IMHO get into for what it already has, if more comes, well you got that for free. I had mine set up before there even was SNES support, so this has been a real trip seeing it grow. But even if it never had grown, I would still be talking it up to my friends about how great it is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Getting savestates and rewind on Gameboy spoiled me a bit and there's a big part of me that would really like to see if that can be done on more cores.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

elf help book posted:

IMHO get into for what it already has, if more comes, well you got that for free. I had mine set up before there even was SNES support, so this has been a real trip seeing it grow. But even if it never had grown, I would still be talking it up to my friends about how great it is.
That is a great way to look at it. I got into this entirely for the Neo Geo core, and everything else has been icing on the cake. So much so that it's now a normal sized cake buried under a skyscraper of frosting.

When I let myself daydream about cores we haven't seen yet, I find myself coming back to beat-em-up arcade titles like The Simpsons, Ninja Turtles, X-Men, and even that Data East Avengers game.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I picked one up because it was cheaper than getting odes and a replacement pce to replace my busted sega cd and turboduo. getting rgb out without any mods was bonus, having a nes with clean video output was bonus, replacing my consolized neogeo which I never use because multicarts never have the games I want to play on them is bonus. the arcade cores, the amiga core, being able to play a gba on full sized screen, all bonus.

like, if you're sitting on the fence and the initial investment isn't a hardship, it's a box that's filled with unexpected wonders and more keep getting added to it.

if the passive cooling aluminum cases do a decent job of keeping it cool and it can run without fan noise, it's totally unobtrusive, tiny and covers a really large swath of game consoles, arcade machines and computers from the early '70s up to the mid '90s

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Voice of Labor posted:

order one of these now and maybe it will have come in by the time you get the rest of your decisions squared away

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/

I would, knowing what I know now, get a blister board instead of the usb hub board.

mister addons is still the place to pick stuff up at.

you need snac cables for whatever controllers you want to plug in and an analog io board

Thank you. I'll be looking into that Blister board.

Why should I get the VGA/Composite adapter? Shouldn't I probably stick with my component input on my CRT? If so, what's the best way to get that signal to my TV?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Yes, I have been astounded at the depth of stuff here. Neo Geo and the potential for PS1 is what tipped the scale on me buying a Mister. However I've found so much there that I never got to play with before or was never practical to that it's been a huge source of value for me. Particularly stuff that it's simply not reasonable to get functional maintained hardware and have it take up space in my home.

The other thing is that it has all been relatively easy to get running. The scripting and updates are pretty good and get you 90% of the way there. A few special cases require a little more massaging but not that much.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Chinook posted:

Thank you. I'll be looking into that Blister board.

Why should I get the VGA/Composite adapter? Shouldn't I probably stick with my component input on my CRT? If so, what's the best way to get that signal to my TV?

the board gives you s-video. but yeah, if you have component ins that would probably be the way to go. I don't know how to go from the vga out on the io board to component though and from my experience trying to get a usable s-video signal, it's probably going to be less straight forward than grabbing the first signal converter that comes up on amazon

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What's next after the DE10? It's been out a few years so I imagine another, more powerful, solution is waiting in the wings. It seems like just a matter of time before late 90s/early 00s stuff is able to be FPGA'd. Or am I totally misunderstanding the tech?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

the board gives you s-video. but yeah, if you have component ins that would probably be the way to go. I don't know how to go from the vga out on the io board to component though and from my experience trying to get a usable s-video signal, it's probably going to be less straight forward than grabbing the first signal converter that comes up on amazon

Thank you for your reply. I’ll start doing my research. I appreciate your previous suggestions, too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Waltzing Along posted:

What's next after the DE10? It's been out a few years so I imagine another, more powerful, solution is waiting in the wings. It seems like just a matter of time before late 90s/early 00s stuff is able to be FPGA'd. Or am I totally misunderstanding the tech?
The "problem" is that the reason the DE10 is so attractive is that it's subsidized since ostensibly its intended use is for Universities. The next hypothetical upgrade is thousands of dollars rather than hundreds. So "what's next" remains to be seen since who knows what will or won't fall under that category in the future.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Want if we find a way to duct tape two de10 nanos together :pseudo:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Honestly, just turn it up to 11. Simple.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Waltzing Along posted:

Get started writing a PS2 core now. Maybe you'll be done by the time a MiSTer 2 exists.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hatty posted:

n64 emulation. if you tape 4 together you can do gamecube

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Getting component out of the analog io board only requires a vga to component cable and editing the ini to ypbpr =1. It's incredibly simple and doesn't require anything fancy on the cable front, though obviously quality matters. I've been using a junk vga to component cable I found in my miscellaneous cable bin and it worked just fine.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Jadius posted:

Getting component out of the analog io board only requires a vga to component cable and editing the ini to ypbpr =1. It's incredibly simple and doesn't require anything fancy on the cable front, though obviously quality matters. I've been using a junk vga to component cable I found in my miscellaneous cable bin and it worked just fine.

I bought the VGA to component cable from https://misteraddons.com/ and it works great.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Hot Stunt posted:

I bought the VGA to component cable from https://misteraddons.com/ and it works great.

Monoprice sells what appears to be identical cable for a fair bit cheaper.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Bonobos posted:

Monoprice sells what appears to be identical cable for a fair bit cheaper.

If it's the same one then it's definitely worth picking up. I didn't really shop around because I wanted all my stuff to arrive at once.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nate RFB posted:

The "problem" is that the reason the DE10 is so attractive is that it's subsidized since ostensibly its intended use is for Universities. The next hypothetical upgrade is thousands of dollars rather than hundreds. So "what's next" remains to be seen since who knows what will or won't fall under that category in the future.

Yeah, the degree to which it's discounted (or, really, to which the FPGA on it is marked up) is absolutely absurd. The DE-10 Nano costs less than just getting the FPGA on it by itself ($135 for the DE-10 Nano vs. $228 for the model of Cyclone V on it). Until you can get another FPGA board with a more powerful FPGA than the 5CSEBA6U23I7 for around the same price, we probably won't see a MiSTer successor.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hatty posted:

The limiting factor for something like this becomes the performance of the interconnect between the boards. Presumably users with no I/O boards or the digital board could use the second set of GPIOs for some kind of high speed interface, considering it's been discussed as a place to add more RAM if it was ever needed, but it's still a lot more limiting than what can be done within a single larger FPGA. You'd also only gain systems that had a lot of independent components to simulate which could be split up reasonably, anything with larger single components is still out of the question.

And that's not even getting in to the complication of synchronizing the boards loading cores, resetting, etc.

It's not impossible but it's unlikely that it'll ever make sense.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Looks like Misteraddons is back open. Does he not have the Analog IO board?

edit: Derp, that's the standard one

is this basically what I should be grabbing?

Chinook fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 20, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

get the blister not the usb hub

also a case

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

get the blister not the usb hub

also a case

Where do I buy the blister? What cables would I need to connect it?

And what case?

I know it’s a lot of questions but I appreciate it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

when mister addons gets cases in stock, they have variants for -every- configuration.

here's the blister board and snac cables. note that the blister board just is the usb hub but with inputs better split between usb and snac serial, however you were intending to connect your mister main board to the usb hub, you'd do the same with the blister. you need a dedicated snac cable for every system, ie. if you have 2 nes controllers and 1 snes controller, you would need 2 nes snac cables and 1 snes snac cable.

https://bliss-box.net/store/

hooking the usb hub to the main board, there are two ways to do it, but the little u bracket micro usb passthrough thingy seems fine. you'll probably get one packaged with your order.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 20, 2021

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

here's the blister board and snac cables.

I don't see a link...

Thanks for the info on cases. I'll keep an eye out

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol, yeah, I suck at posting. fixed

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

bliss-box seems to be out of a lot of the snac cables. (SNES for instance). Does this work as a regular USB hub if needed, to use whatever 8bitdo controllers I have in the meantime, until they restock?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's got 5 regular usb ports. so it's like 5 usb/2 serial as opposed to the usb hub which is 7 usb ports.

e: you'll also need snac adapters, one per port so 2 or 3 of these guys

https://misteraddons.com/products/serial-native-accessory-converter-snac

it adds more to the cost than I would really like, but if it's supported by the core, 0 latency original hardware controllers are really the way to go

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 20, 2021

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

it's got 5 regular usb ports. so it's like 5 usb/2 serial as opposed to the usb hub which is 7 usb ports.

Sweet. Thanks. Got the DE-10 coming from elsewhere, will buy the standard IO board, 128mb RAM, and VGA to component cable from misteraddons.

And I'll grab the blisster board from your link.

Should be all I need for the short term, huh?

I'm just sure I'm forgetting some cable or power supply

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chinook posted:

Looks like Misteraddons is back open. Does he not have the Analog IO board?

edit: Derp, that's the standard one

is this basically what I should be grabbing?

You need a power cable.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Waltzing Along posted:

You need a power cable.

Is this good? What is generally recommended?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RT3ZPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://misteraddons.com/products/in-line-power-switch

the power brick is an lte 5v 2 amp model

pn lte12ws-s1

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 20, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

https://misteraddons.com/products/in-line-power-switch

the power brick is an lte 5v 2 amp model

pn lte12ws-s1

His USB board comes with the split power already.

So you just need the normal power adapter with a switch on it. Unless you decide to spend the extra $100 for a blisster. I have the normal USB and use an xbox wired controller and it is fine. I can see the appeal of original controllers, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Like this?
https://www.amazon.com/UPBRIGHT-Addonics-LTE12W-S1-LTE12WS1E-AAPAC5V-UK/dp/B0748CZZMG

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you are hooking it to a CRT I feel that Blister / SNAC would be overkill if you're looking to save a bit of cash. A wireless xbox one controller is pretty serviceable to me.
Not all cores support SNAC either.

Have a look at the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KlRObr3Be4zLch7Zyqg6qCJzGuhyGmXaOIUrpfncXIM/edit#gid=0

Depends how sensitive to latency you are I guess.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Waltzing Along posted:

So you just need the normal power adapter with a switch on it. Unless you decide to spend the extra $100 for a blisster. I have the normal USB and use an xbox wired controller and it is fine. I can see the appeal of original controllers, though.

Yeah I ended up getting the blisster so I'll probably need the splitter.

I have all the original controllers and honestly I really would like to use them, so I might as well have the option down the road. Will wait for a bit until the adapters are in stock, though (and I want to buy the snac adapter cables, ugh)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if the barrel plug is the right size, yeah.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

blister is $80, usb hub is $50...yeah I guess when you figure in the additional cost of snac adapters and cables that does end up being an extra 100+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

if the barrel plug is the right size, yeah.

But doesn't the DE10 nano kit come with a power supply? That should work, right?