Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
you don't need to create smoke chimneys for smelters and forges???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

It's using clean coal so it's fine without

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

It's using clean coal so it's fine without

:golfclap:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tempora Mutantur posted:

The wiki claims wards stop hostile spawns (in addition to locking down building), is that true?

According to a loading screen tip, every player built structure stops spawns

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

i hope there is a setting somewhere that i can crank up the stop-spawn radius

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Streamer CohhCarnage made a couple of short tips videos regarding building/flattening ground that helped me out with both leveling some difficult spots and also saving some stone when extending buildable space outward.

Earth smoothing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnapSrdEPg

Raising earth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxplJ1KM20

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Broken Cog posted:

I think that the crafting benches do not count as "structures" for those purposes. I'm putting torches out to do that, which is also making a small sink for my resin oversupply.

Couple of questions as I'm 20 hours into this game - What's the max comfort rating you can pick up? Highest I'm seeing is 8, but I don't know if that's an absolute limit or not. Is there a way to just ... destroy items so they aren't eating inventory space or laying on the ground somewhere?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jinnigan posted:

i hope there is a setting somewhere that i can crank up the stop-spawn radius

I haven't had a lot of time to play with the game but I have my little noob shack and I feel like I can't walk outside without getting a greyling up the butt.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cobbsprite posted:

I think that the crafting benches do not count as "structures" for those purposes. I'm putting torches out to do that, which is also making a small sink for my resin oversupply.

Yes they do. Any structure with a radius displayed when on the ground when you build it aka wards, forges, crafting benches, and a late game crafting table, stop spawns.

Also I apologise for misleading everyone earlier, the Ategir harvesting trick only works with Barley and Flax :(

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

After the Draugr laid siege to my inland camp, I've decided to move my base of operations to this little islet in the middle of a large lake. Unfortunately the whole place is a little bit low so I just burned up 5 chests of stone to get this foundation set up. I might use the debug cheat here and skip the colossal amount of stone this would take to make fully level.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Super into all these base tours etc! Please keep posting.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Also I apologise for misleading everyone earlier, the Ategir harvesting trick only works with Barley and Flax :(
RIP my carrots

(Actually it’s nbd turns out seed carrots work rly well. Now I just have to find barley and or flax)

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Its time to head into the mountains :)

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Omnicarus posted:

After the Draugr laid siege to my inland camp, I've decided to move my base of operations to this little islet in the middle of a large lake. Unfortunately the whole place is a little bit low so I just burned up 5 chests of stone to get this foundation set up. I might use the debug cheat here and skip the colossal amount of stone this would take to make fully level.

Building on stilts is also an option and lets you hide stuff under the buildings which is kinda nice.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

4 comfort

Buller posted:

Its time to head into the mountains :)
Good luck! Probably my favourite biome in the game.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Building on stilts is all fun and games until greydwarves start slapping them.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

are you using the raise ground foundation trick cohhcarnage posted

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Finding out that Im gonna have to go back to grinding a bit in the swamp to build mountain-tier gear, oh well.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Cobbsprite posted:

Building on stilts is all fun and games until greydwarves start slapping them.

How long would they have to hit it for it to actually do anything? Trolls raided my base and even with my slow response my stuff was barely hurt.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

are you using the raise ground foundation trick cohhcarnage posted

Not initially but I am now, that definitely makes it easier

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

.Couple of questions as I'm 20 hours into this game - What's the max comfort rating you can pick up? Highest I'm seeing is 8, but I don't know if that's an absolute limit or not. Is there a way to just ... destroy items so they aren't eating inventory space or laying on the ground somewhere?

This little area was comfort 10 before I added some other stuff and I didn’t really look again after that, buff lasts for 17 minutes I think?

And for deleting items, just drop them outside of workbench radius and they despawn in a day or so.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Captain Mediocre posted:

Tame wolves. I go out with 4 wolves whenever I'm in the forests and they tear everything apart up to swamp-tier without me lifting a finger.

They also chase down deer and boar for you while you stare at your feet looking for mushrooms.

Interestingly they continue to breed and give birth out in the wild. My local area is slowly becoming filled with 'wild' tame wolves roaming the forests destroying the ecosystem and it rocks.

What the hell i've been playing for days and have literally never encountered a wolf. Building my own personal wolf army sounds like extremely my poo poo.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Please everyone watch this video it will save you so much time and stone if you're gonna raise ground to build a base

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd really like more objects that are just big piles of one thing. A stack of metal bars made from an inventory stack of bars, a pile of coins, a charnal pit of all these trophies i don't know what to do with

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Word of advice to any aspiring archers out there: Start shooting every single bird you see. You are going to need all those feathers at some point, and there aren't many other consistent methods of getting them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SquirrelGrip posted:

This little area was comfort 10 before I added some other stuff and I didn’t really look again after that, buff lasts for 17 minutes I think?

And for deleting items, just drop them outside of workbench radius and they despawn in a day or so.

I've built everything and maxed out comfort at 17 but I'm unclear if being in a stone building is more comfortable, so it may go higher.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Word of advice to any aspiring archers out there: Start shooting every single bird you see. You are going to need all those feathers at some point, and there aren't many other consistent methods of getting them.

It would be nice if they added something like bird nests you could loot feathers from. Sometimes it's really hard to find birds standing around and then arrows seem to go through some of them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Abisteen posted:

Streamer CohhCarnage made a couple of short tips videos regarding building/flattening ground that helped me out with both leveling some difficult spots and also saving some stone when extending buildable space outward.

Earth smoothing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnapSrdEPg

Raising earth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxplJ1KM20

Holy poo poo the second video especially is useful.

I'm currently building on a hilly meadow because I want to many levels on purpose but this will be great for the arena.

TeaJay posted:

It would be nice if they added something like bird nests you could loot feathers from. Sometimes it's really hard to find birds standing around and then arrows seem to go through some of them.

I had a bird try to land in the spot under some spikes and it died. Not controllable but it is funny.
Every time I return home at least a couple deer have killed themselves in noble sacrifice to my land.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

is there a boar limit

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've built everything and maxed out comfort at 17 but I'm unclear if being in a stone building is more comfortable, so it may go higher.

My building doesn't go above 17 and I have stone in it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Broken Cog posted:

Mine wasn't far north-east of spawn, just one quick boat trip away. Showed up almost immediately when I started exploring in that direction.

He always seems to spawn in Black Forests, so I figure he usually won't be that far out.

ClassH posted:

He was decently far for us, not on the main island at all. Didn't find him till after we started looking for swamp biomes to find crypts.

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated because we've cleared multiple islands now and we still haven't found him. Is he easy to miss? The game shows you an alert and marks him on the map, right?

We're all sitting on massive piles of gold and gems with nothing to do with it

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Is there a way to make the boar pen self-sustaining so I don't have to keep feeding them? It gets tiresome.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cobbsprite posted:

Is there a way to make the boar pen self-sustaining so I don't have to keep feeding them? It gets tiresome.

No but you can dump full 50-stacks of veggies in there and they'll only eat what they needa as they need it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated because we've cleared multiple islands now and we still haven't found him. Is he easy to miss? The game shows you an alert and marks him on the map, right?

He's always in black forests. That being said, on our world we haven't spotted him and we've been playing for a week, 10 of us, all spread out in different directions. We ended up just using the seed "42060lolxd" and he's really close to spawn on that one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I was going through the top clips in the Valheim Twitch directory, and Cohh actually accidentally captured footage of Thor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I found that if you add a little shelf above your benches you can store your upgrades and save floor space.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Inzombiac posted:

Holy poo poo the second video especially is useful.

I'm currently building on a hilly meadow because I want to many levels on purpose but this will be great for the arena.

I had a bird try to land in the spot under some spikes and it died. Not controllable but it is funny.
Every time I return home at least a couple deer have killed themselves in noble sacrifice to my land.

Hell yea, I got one with my pickaxe midair when it tried to land by me while I was mining

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

he's also usually on the coast iirc

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Hey guys, if you get poisoned by blobs just log out and log back in and it will be gone.

You're welcome.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I can't find the gif of it, but I saw someone build an item stand on top of a chest then build another chest on top of the item stand, effectively letting you stack crates without needing to build frames or walls. Seems super useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey so uh I was boating around and had to turn around because I started going down what I thought was a river but closed up, and as I was backing up I looked over on the shore and saw the Grim Reaper? It was raining and I hadn't seen it before so needless to say it was extremely eerie. I kept looking to see if it was going to disappear but as I sailed away it stood there completely still the entire time. :psyduck: