Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
On a fresher note, Civvie released a video of the Early Access of HROT. He's also running a donation for Red Cross given the winter storms. Playing Slavjank for goodness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvKWMfNtceI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
on the one hand, the extreme majority of the Plinkett reviews have been boring and aimless since Baby's Day Out

on the other hand, the latest one did include Make Picard Gay

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I thought the Plinkett Ghostbusters 2016 review was pretty good. I like the parts where RLM pointed out how to make the jokes better with less improv and better editing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I enjoyed the Plinket stuff with the prequels because it had been about over a decade and plenty of time to cement peoples thoughts of the movies. I think Mr. Plinket as a character was good in the sense that he's a mix of grumpy, overly critical and absolutely insane that you couldn't take the entire review seriously. A mix of nonsense with some sincere honesty. The newer Mr. Plinket videos feel more like a ranting persona than in-depth. Mike could have waited some years before doing one on something like TLJ or Picard when the air finally settles.

Best of the Worst is my favorite series.
Nerd Crew was the worst imo; but yeah Re:view and BOTW are the ones I watch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It definitely feels like they keep doing Half in the Bag out of obligation because they clearly have a lot more fun on their other shows.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nerd Crew was much funnier when that guy did the comparison video with Collider and it was spot on (though Jay felt it ruined the joke).

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

It definitely feels like they keep doing Half in the Bag out of obligation because they clearly have a lot more fun on their other shows.

quarantine half in the bags have been good when they watch random poo poo; there's just nothing interesting to say about comic book movies and it feels like that's all they did in normal years, probably because that's all people actually click on

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Not RLM related, but this video talking about paid advertisements on YouTube and why they're declared explicitly but other things like for product placement in a TV show doesn't necessarily need to, popped up in my recommendations earlier. Surprisingly interesting despite the dry-sounding subject matter.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dragonatrix posted:

Not RLM related, but this video talking about paid advertisements on YouTube and why they're declared explicitly but other things like for product placement in a TV show doesn't necessarily need to, popped up in my recommendations earlier. Surprisingly interesting despite the dry-sounding subject matter.

you phrase this like you're unfamiliar with tom scott and if so boy do you have a good channel to binge ahead of you

if you want another long watch he's got a nice big similar video on copyright:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jwo5qc78QU

but even if you don't he's also been making real neat, well-researched video for youtube for a decade + he (along with siivagunner) are channels that make me wish you could put an entire youtube channel on shuffle play

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

volts5000 posted:

I thought the Plinkett Ghostbusters 2016 review was pretty good. I like the parts where RLM pointed out how to make the jokes better with less improv and better editing.

"Stop dancing!"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Nerd Crew was the worst imo; but yeah Re:view and BOTW are the ones I watch

I adored Nerd Crew, the intro alone was amazing. I think the thing it made fun of is dead now, so it doesn't have punch anymore, but the corporate backed official hype podcasts that showed their loyalty to the products they were shilling through ostentatious displays of merchandise were all over the place when everything was a cinematic universe and big movies based on comic books were hitting every other month. The like hundreds of services that all advertised on podcast that they'd just send you a box of poo poo that no one wanted, whole panels of grown people somehow getting excited about logos and obsessing over trailer frames, the shameless promotion and clout chasing... it was a whole industry. It was not Very Cool.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Nerd Crew is just genuinely funny whenever they decide to chuck out a video for it and when they broke character in some of the videos, those were actually the best parts. I have never not laughed at Rich looking at the Ghostbusters toy and just choking on laughter trying to explain it.

Plus the Collider guys had a melt down everytime they made a video, so that was just the the icing on top.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also the parody was so good Shatner thought it was real and added to his hatred of them which was hilarious

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Ruggington has started posting out of context anime clips again and holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPZ3U6Budu0
I don't say this very often, but this honestly feels like a pisstake of the thing it's trying to be instead of a straight example.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dew Yamamoto seems like it's too on the nose in a series starring Coga Cota.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

Half in the Bag in particular but RLM in general is just in the slot of stuff I liked in college but I just don't have the mental energy for relentlessly negative shows anymore. I'd just rather listen to knowledgeable people talk about things they care about than whine about Hollywood's latest multi-million dollar toy commercial failing to be high art again (again).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m the opposite I prefer negative stuff to nostalgia driven fake positivity which seems to be trending in review shows

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Fake poo poo is always going to be bad, obviously, which is why I can't care about people having a mental breakdown about Star Wars or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Uh yes it’s also why I don’t care about whatever stupid this is good actually series.

Though I don’t know who actually melts down about Star Wars anymore. Outside the short time when right wingers pretend they always liked the Star Wars actually.

Unless your saying behind negative at all is melting down but that would be stupid

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Sorry I said I didn't like your favorite YouTuber.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ah retreating childishly, not unexpected

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
I can tell winning this argument means a lot to you so I fully concede.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If there's one thing we must strive not to be on this forum, it's childish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPdWCz2ja0

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I don’t know who actually melts down about Star Wars anymore. Outside the short time when right wingers pretend they always liked the Star Wars actually.

I mean there's been all that poo poo about two-faced chuds with The Mandalorian lately. Star Wars is sadly still a net-nazi free outrage machine.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Half in the Bag in particular but RLM in general is just in the slot of stuff I liked in college but I just don't have the mental energy for relentlessly negative shows anymore. I'd just rather listen to knowledgeable people talk about things they care about than whine about Hollywood's latest multi-million dollar toy commercial failing to be high art again (again).

To be fair, a lot of the most recent Half in the Bags have been them talking about what ever the gently caress they found on streaming platforms and it's a lot better for it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
RLM is like half botw by weight at this point and that's them having the times of their lives watching trash that while bad they're usually having a good time which isnt really relentless negative or mean or whatever.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

BigRed0427 posted:

To be fair, a lot of the most recent Half in the Bags have been them talking about what ever the gently caress they found on streaming platforms and it's a lot better for it.

That actually sounds like it could be pretty fun. Especially since services like Amazon have apparently zero content restrictions.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

RLM is like half botw by weight at this point and that's them having the times of their lives watching trash that while bad they're usually having a good time which isnt really relentless negative or mean or whatever.

Idk when I stopped watching them it felt like it was just copy+paste whinging about Marvel's latest copy+paste movies so if they're in a different place then gently caress yeah.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 19, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Best of the Worst owns. Hope they get Patton back and have a fun time this time.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I mean I can't even remember the last negative one they've done. It actually been pretty positive HiTB's for over a year now.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
That's longer than when I gave up on them so I'm clearly out of date. Clearly I need to give them a revisit now.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 19, 2021

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Re:View is my personal favorite but at this point they have plenty things I love. Plinkett being the worst by this point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Wheel of the Worst is the instant click for me. I'll never get over Night Of The Lepus and them losing their poo poo over the rabbit screams and the whole thing in general.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Idk when I stopped watching them it felt like it was just copy+paste whinging about Marvel's latest copy+paste movies so if they're in a different place then gently caress yeah.

lol they were always more positive to Marvel's stuff than it deserved.

Zedd posted:

Re:View is my personal favorite but at this point they have plenty things I love. Plinkett being the worst by this point.

Their secret best stuff is the commentary tracks but re:View is their best show.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The only input I have on RLM chat is that I really liked the plinkett reviews because between all the weird jokes about killing his wife it took the time to, mostly, explain why the prequels were bad and I really liked that. Maybe it's because I'm dumb and enjoy people explaining why things are bad. I could never really get into half in the bag because almost every episode I've been linked just tends to be full of them saying a thing is bad because it's dumb or schlocky. And that it's not as good as movies like Gremlins.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

And that it's not as good as movies like Gremlins.

This is true of most movies though.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol they were always more positive to Marvel's stuff than it deserved.

Doesn't change that those episodes were dull as dirt.

Yardbomb posted:

This is true of most movies though.

The only movie as good as Gremlins was Gremlins 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Small Soldiers is Gremlins 3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh those episodes did stink but it's an easy million views for them a pop and it was never the majority of the content I don't think.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It must've been a hoot when Joe Dante and Zach Galligan said their idea for 3 was great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was either their Deadpool 2 or Guardians Vol. 2 video that gave us Mike's wonderful Michaelangelo impression so they're good actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched that movie so many times as a kid, even played the I think PS1 game lol, still love it on a semi-recent rewatch too.