Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

exquisite tea posted:

The Witcher 1 is maybe one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. Every single thing about it... was awful. It's remarkable that CDPR made TW3 only eight years after that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Uh, is the building system in Valheim supposed to be this god damned annoying? I find myself with the build menu stuck open for long periods just searching for a suitable spot to even make anything.

I should've realized I wouldn't like this game with the heavy focus on building that it has but alas, I'm terrible at building three dimensionally and this game doesn't seem to make that any easier.

This may be of interest to you, Deakul; Valheim mod that cleans up the building QoL

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Valheim just reached 3 million copies sold.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's still crazy that they were able to push the freaking Aurora engine (Neverwinter Nights 2) to even have these graphics.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

It's still crazy that they were able to push the freaking Aurora engine (Neverwinter Nights 2) to even have these graphics.

I mean Shadow of Mordor and War are running on LithTech. :v:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Det_no posted:

Valheim just reached 3 million copies sold.

It's a really good game. It has some rough edges and some not-so-smooth transitions, but they really tapped into something with their pve style survival sandbox rather than the usual ARK/rust/whatever type pvp based game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is it any fun to play solo, or is it a deep rock galactic kind of thing where you can technically play solo but you really need a group to get the most enjoyment out of it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Palpek posted:

It was actually the older Neverwinter Nights 1 version of the engine:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-witcher-retrospective

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orv posted:

I mean Shadow of Mordor and War are running on LithTech. :v:

are you telling me Shadow of War is a Shogo: Mobile Armored Division mod?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it any fun to play solo, or is it a deep rock galactic kind of thing where you can technically play solo but you really need a group to get the most enjoyment out of it?

It's perfectly fine solo, quite fun in fact. You do need to enjoy these types of games though. If you hate picking up rocks and sticks and chopping down trees and mining stuff so you can build a house and get better gear this game probably won't do much to make you think otherwise.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Anyone play Windbound? I noticed it's on sale and I'm on a survival & sailing kick from Valheim, wondering if it's worth grabbing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I loved the way people ran under cover when it rained in the first witcher

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 18, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ZearothK posted:

:captainpop:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Joe Man posted:

It was actually the older Neverwinter Nights 1 version of the engine:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-witcher-retrospective
drat, that's crazier than I thought.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

When did this sort of low poly look start to get popular? It's not a complaint, but I feel like a lot of games are converging on this aesthetic and I don't know why.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Deep Rock Galactic is another recent good title that has the low poly style.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GrandpaPants posted:

When did this sort of low poly look start to get popular? It's not a complaint, but I feel like a lot of games are converging on this aesthetic and I don't know why.

It's been rising in popularity in the past few years.

I think it's popular among indie devs because of both a) PS1 nostalgia and b) it lets you use fancy 3D lighting/postprocessing effects without needing to spend a million years/a lot of money on assets. Personally, I love it, better to give a game a nice style than to aim for realism on a budget.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

The late 90s-00's are up for the nostalgia cycle.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
that doesn't look anything like 90s-00s games though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that doesn't look anything like 90s-00s games though

It looks like what you remember them looking like.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GrandpaPants posted:

Because photorealism is dogshit and minimialism is cool and also better for gameplay.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kchama posted:

While I agree with everything else, NMS 10000000000000% did it to themselves. It's one thing to promise the moon and deliver something not as well executed as promised.

It's another thing to promise the moon and have absolutely none of it actually exist. That's what NMS did and why I don't trust them as a developer and never will. They lost my money forever. Sucks to be them, but I'm not going to forgive them just because they're a small indie studio. I wouldn't forgive a big studio for it either. If you want my patronage then don't blatantly lie about stuff just because you think no one will ever try to actually see if you were lying or not. I don't care how much they added to the game. A lot of it was straight up stuff they promised at release and then quietly didn't ever say that it was cut. "Oh they lied big deal", it is a big deal because the only metric you have to use that a game might be good or not before release is what a developer puts out, so making it okay to lie about it as long as you eventually, someday, put in the features you had lied about existing is basically just a scummier version of Early Access.

That's what it comes down to, to me. Be honest. If it turns out to not be the best, then that's forgivable because trying doesn't mean succeeding. If you bullshit lie about stuff, and especially keep lying about it until release date, then get lost forever. And I do mean forever.

It's another thing to hide all console footage so you can trick customers into buying a beta that might not be fixable on the hardware they own.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought The Turing Test was supposed to be a standout game based on all the hype it got after release, but it really seems to fall on its face compared to The Talos Principle and Soma despite coming later. Also, the subtitles don't work and the developer apparently thinks this is part of their "artistic vision" and that is just insulting.

Maaaaaaan

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

This rules. Witcher 1 rules.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fallom posted:

I thought The Turing Test was supposed to be a standout game based on all the hype it got after release, but it really seems to fall on its face compared to The Talos Principle and Soma despite coming later. Also, the subtitles don't work and the developer apparently thinks this is part of their "artistic vision" and that is just insulting.

Maaaaaaan

Where did you see hype for The Turing Test? :psyduck:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Propaganda Hour posted:

I hosed a she-elf once.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

Witcher 1 was amazing for the sense from the actual characters at so many points that they were just fed up with the bullshit that goes on in their life/society.

Setting it up so Geralt is all amnesic for plot purposes worked pretty well for the point learning and reacting to how lovely everything is for witchers and non-humans.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I accidentally read a Haven spoiler. Whoops. Someone please tell me it isn’t like that Passengers movie before I play it again? I only did an hour or two.

New JRPG bundle looks good. If it sticks around long enough, I might be able to grab like half of the whole thing. My poor backlog.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Begemot posted:

It's been rising in popularity in the past few years.

I think it's popular among indie devs because of both a) PS1 nostalgia and b) it lets you use fancy 3D lighting/postprocessing effects without needing to spend a million years/a lot of money on assets. Personally, I love it, better to give a game a nice style than to aim for realism on a budget.

It also means that I haven't had to upgrade my PC since I built it in 2014.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Irritated Goat posted:

I accidentally read a Haven spoiler. Whoops. Someone please tell me it isn’t like that Passengers movie before I play it again? I only did an hour or two.
There's a bad ending that is bleak as all hell but it's super easy to avoid. Other than that I can't think of anything that would be comparable to that movie.

EDIT: Honestly I'm not even really sure what you're asking. I'm having serious trouble figuring out what the spoiler could even be that would make you think of Passengers :psyduck:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 19, 2021

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

There's a bad ending that is bleak as all hell but it's super easy to avoid. Other than that I can't think of anything that would be comparable to that movie.

EDIT: Honestly I'm not even really sure what you're asking. I'm having serious trouble figuring out what the spoiler could even be that would make you think of Passengers :psyduck:

The idea I got was there was some mental fuckery going on with the relationship

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
My memory of W1 could be clouded by 2 and 3, but I remember being impressed by how Geralt had friends and acquaintances, and gasp even had conversations with them :monocle: (despite the dumb amnesia crap). That sense of belonging of an RPG protagonist to the world was pretty new for me, and it really made others like Shepherd seem like friendless losers, who think "tell me about your species" is a good icebreaker and not awkward at all. You're a spaceman Shepherd, you should know what a Quarian is. You moron.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Irritated Goat posted:

The idea I got was there was some mental fuckery going on with the relationship
There is not.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

In a way, yes!

And yes I would like a mech game with the nemesis system.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
A game where your job is to torture people. I feel like you should get put on some kind of list for buying this game. What is wrong with people.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...ticyx_f1yySovo0

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"This game is not available in your region." And good riddance, too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh it's the Agony studio, of course it is. Guess if you've got a schtick and your studio doesn't die.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Desperados 3 is such a great game, I'm so glad that the Commandos genre is doing just fine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apple subpoenaed Valve for six years of sales data on hundreds of Steam games (initially over 30,000!) as part of their legal battle with Epic. For some reason.

Apple posted:

Apple’s Request 2 is very narrow. It simply requests documents sufficient to show Valve’s: (a)total yearly sales of apps and in-app products; (b) annual advertising revenues from Steam; (c)annual sales of external products attributable to Steam; (d) annual revenues from Steam; and (e)annual earnings (whether gross or net) from Steam. Apple has gone as far as requesting this information in any readily accessible format, but Valve refuses to produce it.

[...]

Request 32 asks for documents sufficient to show: (a) the name of each App on Steam; (b) the date range when the App was available on Steam; and (c) the price of the App and any in-app product available on Steam. This is basic information relating to the identity and availability of games over time on Steam, is necessary to determine the scope and breadth of the digital distribution marketplace, and is “relevant to showing competition” between these platforms.

Valve posted:

Apple wrongly claims those requests are narrow. They are not. Apple gave Valve a list of 436 video games it says are available on the Epic Game Store and Steam, and (a) demanded Valve identify, from 2015 to the present, every version and all digital content or items for each of these games on Steam, then (b) provide exhaustive information about all of them, including:
  • The dates on sale, plus every price and price change, from 2015 to the present (RFP 32);
  • Gross revenues for each game version and item, broken down individually (RFP 2); and
  • All of Valve’s revenues related to these versions, content and items (RFP 2).

[...]

Later, in seeking to compel Samsung, this Court noted that “Apple firmly takes the view that in the Epic case, the relevant market is Epic alone.” Id. (Dkt. 296 at 4). Valve is not in either of these markets — Valve is not Epic, and Fortnite is not available on Steam.

[...]

Apple claims the information it demands is uniquely obtainable from Valve, yet much of what Apple seeks is sales and pricing information for third party games. That information belongs to the third party developers of those games, not Valve. But instead of seeking it from those developers — and being required to establish substantial need to obtain their information — Apple takes a shortcut by subpoenaing Valve.

[...]

Somehow, in a dispute over mobile apps, a maker of PC games that does not compete in the mobile market or sell “apps” is being portrayed as a key figure. It’s not. The extensive and highly confidential information Apple demands about a subset of the PC games available on Steam does not show the size or parameters of the relevant market and would be massively burdensome to pull together. Apple’s demands for further production should be rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds like apple is looking to see if it's worth making its own game store