Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Am the only person who legitimately liked Joker?

I mean, I just don’t understand why everyone on the internet hates it so much.

I just didn't love it, really. It's a weird artifact in that it's a skillful emulation of the kind of movies they made in the 70s, but all the energy of it is in how it recreates a now-historical style and the ideas are pretty muddled and don't have much of anything to say about alienation, society, or Batman/The Joker. What's the statement, other than how those old movies are cool and not like what's made now?

The parts where they forced in stuff from Batman was kind of annoying as well, but I would love to see a sequel that's 1985 Batman Begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Joker movie is a lot like Rick and Morty.
The media itself is fine if you like it, but there are some really vocal "fans" who get way too into it and use it as some sort of validation of their own lovely behavior, to the point that it spoils the source material by association.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t hate the joker but it’s a movie that teases you that is has some kind of message or theme but it just never comes together.

Also that weird speech at the end that has nothing to do with anything and turns out to be a director insert is embarrassing

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t hate the joker but it’s a movie that teases you that is has some kind of message or theme but it just never comes together.

Also that weird speech at the end that has nothing to do with anything and turns out to be a director insert is embarrassing

I thought the whole point of the movie was that he never would have become the Joker if he had been able to get the mental health care that he obviously needed instead of falling through the cracks of a system designed specifically to make sure people like him fall through the cracks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

the_steve posted:

I thought the whole point of the movie was that he never would have become the Joker if he had been able to get the mental health care that he obviously needed instead of falling through the cracks of a system designed specifically to make sure people like him fall through the cracks.

That happens at the beginning but it weirdly doesn’t come up much outside the set up. Then he becomes a hero of the people.

That’s what I mean if they stuck to that fine but him becoming a heroic figure with no real goals outside being accepted undercuts that.

Like the big speech is about what is and isn’t funny which is only brought up in that scene

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

the_steve posted:

Yeah I thought this was the point of the movie too. Joker was made by Gotham City and the events of the plot were completely preventable: If the rich cared a little more there wouldn't be so many people out of work, if Arthur's medication hadn't been cut off halfway through the movie he likely wouldn't have gone off the deep end; if there had been better mental health funding instead of just a single overworked case worker he might not have been in such bad shape to begin with; if society wasn't so enabling to rich jerks like the men on the subway they probably wouldn't have felt entitled to beat Arthur just for laughing at them, leading to the first killings.....etc, etc.

I like the complexity in the movie of how most of the murders Arthur commits are........understandable, but not completely justifiable. We understand why Arthur killed his mother, the last fleeing prick on the subway, his coworker, and the late night host, but at the same time you can't say that those characters deserved to die.

Anyway overall I liked the movie even if I didn't think it was perfect.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Feb 18, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
If you changed the title of the film from Joker to Mime and you had Joaquin Phoenix mope around being a lovely mime what you’d end up with is the exact same movie, but nobody would have seen it outside of a Warner Bros. “For Your Consideration” mailer.

It was a cynical move on the part of the film’s creators and WB to put asses in seats and to get a big-name actor to sign on the dotted line.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Isn't Schall Kristen bannable?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

letthereberock posted:

A Knights Tale is an intentionally silly movie. Joker seems to have aspirations of being a serious film for serious people.

Knight’s Tale may not be the greatest movie of all time but there’s nothing about it I would change. Babe is the same way.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Blue Moonlight posted:

If you changed the title of the film from Joker to Mime and you had Joaquin Phoenix mope around being a lovely mime what you’d end up with is the exact same movie, but nobody would have seen it outside of a Warner Bros. “For Your Consideration” mailer.

It was a cynical move on the part of the film’s creators and WB to put asses in seats and to get a big-name actor to sign on the dotted line.

and yet WB still sold something like 75% of the box office rights to it because they had no faith in it making money, too bad it made a billion

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Knight’s Tale may not be the greatest movie of all time but there’s nothing about it I would change. Babe is the same way.

Babe is excellent; Babe 2 is a weird mix of slapstick and existential dread. That one scene where the dog thrashes about drowning while all the animals watch silently really hosed me up as a kid. (Luckily Babe saves him, which is presented as a selfless act and not the bare loving minimum you do when you see someone dying jesus christ what was wrong with those animals)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Aces High posted:

and yet WB still sold something like 75% of the box office rights to it because they had no faith in it making money, too bad it made a billion

WB combines studio cynicism with being weirdly bad at it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

thepopmonster posted:

Isn't Schall Kristen bannable?
... What?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CharlestheHammer posted:

WB combines studio cynicism with being weirdly bad at it.

I don’t know, I thought it was hilarious when they decided to just dump their entire theatrical release slate on streaming without telling anyone and caused Christopher Nolan to have a tantrum.

Her last name sounds kind of like “small” doesn’t it?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

hyperhazard posted:

Babe is excellent; Babe 2 is a weird mix of slapstick and existential dread. That one scene where the dog thrashes about drowning while all the animals watch silently really hosed me up as a kid. (Luckily Babe saves him, which is presented as a selfless act and not the bare loving minimum you do when you see someone dying jesus christ what was wrong with those animals)

oh yeah i remember this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7WjrvG1GMk

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Blue Moonlight posted:

Her last name sounds kind of like “small” doesn’t it?
....................... What?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Don't post small Bart.

Or Schall Kristen.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

Don't post small Bart.

Or Schall Kristen.

That's a big Kristen stretch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hyperhazard posted:

babe 2 was Siskel's last film of the year

e: sorry, Film of the Year

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My wife and I are watching deadliest warrior (rewatching in my case) and um ooof.

Between American Police being deadlier German Special Forces or the SS experts probably were there on January 6th....

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Joker didn't age well because it presented the riots at the end as a bad thing. The whole movie makes a point that all these people were being abused and neglected by the rich who had a death grip on the levers of power, but somebody lit a car on fire so I guess it wasn't worth it in the end.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

grittyreboot posted:

Joker didn't age well because it presented the riots at the end as a bad thing. The whole movie makes a point that all these people were being abused and neglected by the rich who had a death grip on the levers of power, but somebody lit a car on fire so I guess it wasn't worth it in the end.

I mean, I've only seen bits and pieces of the film, but yeah, isn't there a part where Thomas Wayne straight up says on live tv that the poors should just bootstrap themselves out of it and quit whining and crying?
And then everyone is shocked_pikachu.jpg when the people finally hit their breaking point.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

bunnyofdoom posted:

My wife and I are watching deadliest warrior (rewatching in my case) and um ooof.

Between American Police being deadlier German Special Forces or the SS experts probably were there on January 6th....

I'll always remember the time they spent leading up to the controversial episode of IRA vs Taliban.

Or Vampires vs Zombies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is Knights Tale the one where a medieval crowd at a joust starts singing We Will Rock You?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yep that’s the one

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah it owns.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

It's definitely a Batman movie then.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bobjr posted:

I'll always remember the time they spent leading up to the controversial episode of IRA vs Taliban.

Or Vampires vs Zombies.

I enjoyed that show at the time, but looking back on it now, I can't help but cringe. I feel like it was the granddaddy of the myriad YouTube channels where they try to "scientifically" explain why Superman would beat Goku in a fight, when it's just a bunch of nerds banging their action figures together and yelling "Donate to my Patreon!"

At least the Deadliest Warrior guys got to play with a bunch of cool weapons with all those jelly filled prop mannequins.

That, and there was always this ad for a plus sized dating site that played when that show was on, and the commercial was always hilarious to me.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

At one point they did mention they didn't want it to be Deadliest Weapon instead of Deadliest Warrior, so whatever their combat simulator program was, they started introducing variables like "loyalty" and "loves the thrill of battle".

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
The Deadliest Warrior video game still kicks rear end though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

XeeD posted:

The Deadliest Warrior video game still kicks rear end though.

It was unbalanced as hell and it was awesome.

Step 1: Pick Pirate
Step 2: Press Circle to use gun
Step 3: Like 50% of the time if you do it fast enough at the start of a match it'll headshot and win you the round in 1 hit.

Like in a "realistic" fighting game where a good hit to the head or neck can end the round they gave one character a loving gun and bombs. IIRC there was also a combo as the pirate to chug rum and all it did was make your dude harder to control. Game owned.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Step 3: Like 50% of the time if you do it fast enough at the start of a match it'll headshot and win you the round in 1 hit.

Like in a "realistic" fighting game where a good hit to the head or neck can end the round they gave one character a loving gun and bombs. IIRC there was also a combo as the pirate to chug rum and all it did was make your dude harder to control. Game owned.

Sounds like Bushido Blade a bit, what with the ability to kill your opponent if you hit them in the right place. The second one had a character called Highwayman who had a rapier he could quickdraw and throw, so my friends and I had a metagame where we'd play Highwayman vs Highwayman and see who could insta-death-sword-throw the other first.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

lmao hell yeah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blue Moonlight posted:

The House of Mouse’s version of Tom Hooper’s Cats.

The star of Sirius vs the Jellicle Moon.

the_steve posted:

The Joker movie is a lot like Rick and Morty.
The media itself is fine if you like it, but there are some really vocal "fans" who get way too into it and use it as some sort of validation of their own lovely behavior, to the point that it spoils the source material by association.

Do those fans even exist, like the whole leadup to the movie was that gang weed memes designed to parody an idea of racist gamer bros or whatever had somehow convinced people the joker was an unironic icon for them and they then assumed that the movie would literally cause the gamers to rise up

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the best thing about the joker was all the people who were absolutely, dead-on convinced that the movie was going to cause a rash of movie theater spree shootings

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alaois posted:

the best thing about the joker was all the people who were absolutely, dead-on convinced that the movie was going to cause a rash of movie theater spree shootings

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

So is Cruella like...trying to be Joker but for Disney characters?

We live in a humane society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, with Bernie Bros or Snyder Bros you could maybe find at least one guy who actually lives up to the stereotype used as a rallying cry, but Joker seems to have been the centre of its very own Satanic Panic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alaois posted:

Was that just some VERY poor fact correlation or something? 'There was a shooting at a previous Batman movie, that means that there will be shooters at the Joker movie too, because that one shooting was definitely because of Batman and he wouldn't have been just as willing to hit, like, Trolls if that was the big movie that day'.

Although that logic doesn't account for Batman V Superman being safe. I guess even would-be mass shooters have standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Was that just some VERY poor fact correlation or something? 'There was a shooting at a previous Batman movie, that means that there will be shooters at the Joker movie too, because that one shooting was definitely because of Batman and he wouldn't have been just as willing to hit, like, Trolls if that was the big movie that day'.

Although that logic doesn't account for Batman V Superman being safe. I guess even would-be mass shooters have standards?

there was a bunch of poo poo about the dude who shot up the theater in Aurora being a Joker fanboy and how the Joker movie is going to embolden incels and drive them to shoot up more theaters to appease their idol or some poo poo