Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

sweet geek swag posted:

"Nearly had him"? What world was he in?

Between that and the Beta bounty hunter tournament... It seems the team behind Slammow has high confidence and expectations in their bad bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

"Nearly had him"? What world was he in?

:lol: Seen a few good delusional moments this year. Slammow thinking it was thiiiiiiiiiiiis close to beating Black Dragon's gotta be up there with Ray Billings thinking Tombstone was still moving meaningfully with a whole wheel gone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Think Beta should have stuck with their traditional wedge

Its a very good wedge

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its a very good wedge

My big worry is that Ribbot's wedglets might be able to get under that skirt. We'll see what comes of it. That might just put Ribbot in hammering distance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Its a very good wedge

Uhhhhhhhhhh yes

What a shocker

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeeeeeah, that was exactly what I was afraid was going to happen.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

beta :frogout:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bounty Hunter spoiler

Beta also gets hosed right up in that same configuration in the bounty match. I wonder if they couldn't use the wedge for some reason

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Its a very good wedge

Nice job overthinking this one

Beta noooo :(

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

hammerbots suck

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ribbot is gonna get blasted in half vertically by Uppercut

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Ribbot is gonna get blasted in half vertically by Uppercut

Probably. Uppercut is nasty.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Bounty Hunter spoiler

Beta also gets hosed right up in that same configuration in the bounty match. I wonder if they couldn't use the wedge for some reason

The true legend won the bounty hunter event

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think Whiplash had the control and aggression. Dunno about the damage, but if Huge won it it was not by much.

Once again just loving relentless by maybe the best driver in the game.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 19, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Huge did better than last year at least

If Huge and Whiplash fight every year, Huge has to win one eventually

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Can't argue with that decision really.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

sweet geek swag posted:

Can't argue with that decision really.

By the rules, Whiplash wins a decision

For this particular type of fight, they really should scrap the 3 min rule and just let the bots fight until there's a KO. Its not like Whiplash was stalling per se, but outside of getting in a lucky lift, Whiplash was basically clinching the entire time. Which I find kinda lame

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Valkyrie is a real contender for most improved bot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Hypershock winning would be really funny, but I dont see that happening

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

hydra is too good

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ok there was clearly a point where Hypershock was knocked out but Hydra just kept on flippin :black101:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hypershock was doing well until their weapon stopped working. From that point on though...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

is pepsi ok posted:

hydra is too good

Nah

Uppercut would have beaten them if they used their longer weapon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I almost believed Hypershock had a chance for a second there.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

I almost believed Hypershock had a chance for a second there.

Durability has always been Hypershock's problem. It always has something going wrong, which leads me to believe it just isn't very well built.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
beta had the worst wedge ever. there was so much ground clearance on it i don't understand who thought it was a good idea

uppercut will launch a bot out of the arena entirely by the end of the tournament, if it doesn't fling itself out of the arena first. have i called it vertical tombstone yet? because it is. currently praying for tombstone vs uppercut (tombstone will probably lose but gently caress it will be an amazing hit)

tombstone owns as usual. is their blade a bit smaller than other ones or is it just because it was black? might be better for stability

the saddest moment is still hypershock being bad and breaking too easily, they got a drat good hit on hydra and the driving was on point

whiplash showing again even when you're at a disadvantage, good driving will (usually) win

gigabyte's match making me think again that if somebody could build an extremely reliable full body spinner, they could carry the entire season

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Will Bales leaning into his reputation and making adjustments seconds before the match is so good.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Interesting. They actually mention upgrading the floor at the start of the Beta bounty hunter episodes. Think it's the first / only time in the series that they even make a reference to the new floor they did for this season...

They've mentioned the improvements a couple times earlier, and done at least a little camera work to show it.

What's odd is how crazy the hazards have been, even the ancient spikes have suddenly popped out a few times and I didn't think those would still be rigged up.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

Durability has always been Hypershock's problem. It always has something going wrong, which leads me to believe it just isn't very well built.

Tale of the Tape mentioned they had some logistics issues and a whole bunch of parts were in shipping limbo until the last second this year. Granted, that doesn't exactly explain the prior years issues...but I can't help but like the bot/team. I think the announcers are on to something when they say Will is at his best when he throws caution to the wind and goes full aggression, though.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 19, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

That's not true. There are real sports like long jump, javelin throw, and other Olympic sport that determine which nation produces the best steroid regimen athletes. They're just not entertaining and therefore not a viable business.

lol what, the olympic games are a super viable business. Just not for the nations paying for them.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The true legend won the bounty hunter event

Same recurring theme in the bounty hunter episode as the main tournament was: JESUS JUST FIRE THE GODDAMN HAMMER BETA, YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKS.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Looking back, I can't believe I had Malice defeating Gigabyte in my bracket. I'm happy to be wrong about Ribbot though.

Did anyone have a perfect 8/8 on their bracket? It looks like Ribbot caused a lot of 7/8's.

Mumbling fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 19, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

sweet geek swag posted:

It needed prongs of some sort to reduce the odds of landing face-first on its weapon too many times.

Part of me is hoping to see Tombstone or Copperhead eat Hydra, but certainly the robot itself is cool and effective and having a somewhat novel flipper win would do good things.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

oh jay posted:

Same recurring theme in the bounty hunter episode as the main tournament was: JESUS JUST FIRE THE GODDAMN HAMMER BETA, YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKS.

Apparently beta can't fire the hammer while moving or the sudden stop from the magnets engaging causes the target to slide out of range.

lol

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Mumbling posted:

Looking back, I can't believe I had Malice defeating Gigabyte in my bracket. I'm happy to be wrong about Ribbot though.

Did anyone have a perfect 8/8 on their bracket? It looks like Ribbot caused a lot of 7/8's.

Speaking of!

Congrats to Tunicate who was the only person that correctly predicted the Beta/Ribbot fight! No one got a 8/8 for this half of the bracket.

Here are current standings:

7 points
Coaaab
Fish of Doom
Esoter1c
Queering Wheel

6 points
Kloaked00
Great Bear
Beepsandboops
No Broccoli Please
Oh Jay
PostNoveau
Mumbling
Halloween Jack
Guava Moment

5 points
Tunicate
KennyMann666
Slick Goku Baby

4 points
Zedd

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

5 out of 8 seems okay... but then I took Huge and Madcatter all the way so I can only get 2 more points on that side of the bracket... :cry:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Got owned on my unposted bracket, thank god I didn't put that up.

Rampage looking mighty similar to Bite Force, but Bite Force is such a smart design. Low as possible with a chunky but appropriate vertical spinner to ensure perfect control and stability. It also makes me wonder how Uppercut could retool for next year to make their bot a little more controllable during turns while keeping their spinner big and punchy.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Ribbot is a very good B+ bot with a fair vertical spinner and overall design, I just didn't expect Beta to basically redesign their bot to make it easier for them to lose :argh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mad Catter vs. Tombstone: Yeah, that went as expected.

Hijinx vs. Upper Cut: Congratulations Upper Cut, you are the winner of the 2021 Battlebots Breakdancing Competition. The cute robot never wins.

Black Dragon vs. SlamMow!: I've been saying to myself, "Black Dragon seems to have problems igniting its flamethrower. Just once, I'd like to see them ineffectually douse their opponent in fuel, then finally ignite it and make a huge fireball."

Beta vs. Ribbot: Yeah, that didn't go as expected. The cute robot never wins!

Huge vs. Whiplash: Hydra should be banned from Battlebots for the crime of being the only bot that ever had a boring fight with Huge. Huge has a brilliant plan for not losing, which is not the same as a plan to win.

Sub Zero vs. Valkyrie: Valkyrie is a very sexy robot, but it always seems like it's light as a feather. Did they upgrade their weapon?

Gigabyte vs. Malice: Gigabyte seems to drive really well for a spinner bot! It was nice of them to make a good-faith effort to commit suicide toward the end of the match. Powerful Karen vibes from the bunny ears lady. Both teams projecting a lot of "Sid from Toy Story" energy but they're good sports.

Hydra vs. HyperShock: This show finally has its top heel, a bot that performs brilliantly and I hate them for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

gigabyte's match making me think again that if somebody could build an extremely reliable full body spinner, they could carry the entire season

I believe this has been the case since the early days of robot fighting and it's just a tough engineering challenge.

:rip: Blendo, the perfect battlebot

Halloween Jack posted:

Black Dragon vs. SlamMow!: I've been saying to myself, "Black Dragon seems to have problems igniting its flamethrower. Just once, I'd like to see them ineffectually douse their opponent in fuel, then finally ignite it and make a huge fireball."

Every time I see a bot do this I think of Gob on Arrested Development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1Nv9sMr1w

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 19, 2021