Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It still continues to be a crime that Claude isn't bisexual.

Also I have no idea why Gilbert is even a S-Rank option. Alois has his fans, but I've never heard anyone speak glowingly of Gilbert.

It's also worth noting that since Jeritza is locked to one route (and was added later) and Yuri is DLC, the only male you could marry in the base game was Linhardt. Not to knock on the guy, but the lack of options is pretty harsh on gay/bi dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Of gently caress it. I can start a new run and come back to this one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, I think we got the short end of the stick here, but FByleths have some really good marriage options, and I'm just happy for them. And there are a lot of M/M pairings in the supports, some of which are pretty heartwarming. Overall still way better than the trainwreck that were Fates gay romances.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I think we got the short end of the stick here, but FByleths have some really good marriage options, and I'm just happy for them. And there are a lot of M/M pairings in the supports, some of which are pretty heartwarming. Overall still way better than the trainwreck that were Fates gay romances.

How many are there? I know there's Linhardt/Caspar, Ferdinand/Hubert, Dimitri/Dedue, Felix/Sylvain and Yuri/Balthus, but the Golden Deer were infuriatingly straight. Raphael/Ignatz ends with Ignatz marrying Raphael's sister, and Claude/Lorenz doesn't really go anywhere. I think the only same-sex supports that could be possibly read as a romance might be Hilda/Marianne.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly Linhardt and Caspar isn't that gay. Especially next to Ashe and Caspar in the same room.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly Linhardt and Caspar isn't that gay. Especially next to Ashe and Caspar in the same room.

They have a similar ending to Ike and Soren which is where I think most of it comes from, though I agree with you.

Wondersmith
Feb 18, 2013
Caspar and Ashe have nearly the same 'traveling the world together' ending as Caspar and Linhardt. It's like Ike/Soren vs Ike/Ranulf

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

In honor of Valentine’s Day I’m sharing the incredibly nerdy poo poo I commissioned last month

https://twitter.com/nickostrem/status/1352179877722644481?s=21

I’ve said Ingrid reminds me of Swift before and I couldn’t get that thought out of my mind until I had someone more talented draw it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Wondersmith posted:

Caspar and Ashe have nearly the same 'traveling the world together' ending as Caspar and Linhardt. It's like Ike/Soren vs Ike/Ranulf

Yeah but Caspar/Ashe's support is all about taking care of a cat, the gayest act out there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah but Caspar/Ashe's support is all about taking care of a cat, the gayest act out there.

I dunno, Dorothea plotting an opera where she plays Edelgard's role is pretty gay, too.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Claude: Slip this poison into their food and they'll be crapping their pants for weeks.
Hubert: And when does the brain haemorrhage kick in?
Claude: The what?

Claude and Hubert have attained support level B.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 14, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Been doing my first playthrough of this game (which I had to buy a Switch for, thank you COVID check). Some random thoughts:

1) Fear the Deer.
2) Raphael is totally Big McLargeHuge from MST3K's Space Mutiny
3) Goddamn it was hard recruiting literally everybody before part one ended.
4) Remember that stupid Harry Potter twitter joke about how the students get sorted into "brave, smart, evil, and miscellaneous"? Yeah, that applies to this game too.
5) I wish there was fanart of Byleth and the characters from the Trails JPRGs fishing together.
6) Game told me I jumped straight from A to S support with Dorothea immediately after part two started. Yeah I may have a problem.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Been doing my first playthrough of this game (which I had to buy a Switch for, thank you COVID check). Some random thoughts:

6) Game told me I jumped straight from A to S support with Dorothea immediately after part two started. Yeah I may have a problem.

Nope this is a sign that you’re playing this game correctly, congrats on winning

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ignatz is such a hairstyle disaster. My dude in part one your hair was drat weird but how did you go five years and decide the Moe Howard Classic was the right 'do to replace it? Seriously how did you manage a lateral move like that?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Fire Emblem: Three Stooges

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ignatz is such a hairstyle disaster. My dude in part one your hair was drat weird but how did you go five years and decide the Moe Howard Classic was the right 'do to replace it? Seriously how did you manage a lateral move like that?

It's amazing that there are three notably terrible haircuts in Part I (Ignatz, Lorenz, Linhardt) and Ignatz is the only one that kept being terrible.

Then again, at least he's consistently terrible, I still maintain that Ingrid went from 'amazing' hair to 'oh dear'.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's amazing that there are three notably terrible haircuts in Part I (Ignatz, Lorenz, Linhardt) and Ignatz is the only one that kept being terrible.

Then again, at least he's consistently terrible, I still maintain that Ingrid went from 'amazing' hair to 'oh dear'.

I don't remember. Did she cut it off, or does she just wear it up after the skip?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

I don't remember. Did she cut it off, or does she just wear it up after the skip?

Wears it up. It’s braided behind her.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Iggy is my beautiful sniper boy and I love him dearly but my God his hair. Also Leonie and Sylvain's "Wait, you're a g-girl?!" support is really drat funny if you see it with their part two outfits.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 18, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Flayn is great because she's so mature and totally not naive at all and is actually the least naive person who ever lived.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Lol right before the final fight in Crimson Flowers Edelgard pulled me aside and was like "Professor, now I have to tell you the dark secret about the power you wield. You see, the reason you had the goddess living inside of you is because... your mom probably descended from the goddess." The two options were something like "Thank you for telling me" and "I still don't understand." I picked the later one because I felt like I had missed something and thought it would be funny. To which Edelgard responded "Professor, now I have to tell you the dark secret about the power you wield. You see, the reason you had the goddess living inside of you is because... your mom probably descended from the goddess."

What a weird and pointless reveal. Is this something that comes up more or is clarified on the other routes? Because it was very funny to see it being played as a shocking twist or whatever in Crimson Flowers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Lol right before the final fight in Crimson Flowers Edelgard pulled me aside and was like "Professor, now I have to tell you the dark secret about the power you wield. You see, the reason you had the goddess living inside of you is because... your mom probably descended from the goddess." The two options were something like "Thank you for telling me" and "I still don't understand." I picked the later one because I felt like I had missed something and thought it would be funny. To which Edelgard responded "Professor, now I have to tell you the dark secret about the power you wield. You see, the reason you had the goddess living inside of you is because... your mom probably descended from the goddess."

What a weird and pointless reveal. Is this something that comes up more or is clarified on the other routes? Because it was very funny to see it being played as a shocking twist or whatever in Crimson Flowers.

One thing you learn after playing multiple routes is that no one has all the information. Byleth's origins are mainly revealed in Verdant Wind (Deer route) and the DLC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah it gets explained more in the DLC and on other routes.

Spoilers for the full explanation
Rhea's been experimenting on people to create a vessel to reincarnate her mom into. Byleth's mom was one of those failed experiments, a kind of golem that Rhea created outright. She fell in love with Jeralt and when they had a kid Rhea was really fixated on it and hoped it would be the missing key to be the Sothis vessel (turns out she was right!).

The stuff with the Sword of the Creator was Rhea trying to kickstart Sothis incarnating in Byleth's body and taking it over like she'd previously tried with their mom.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 19, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Prurient Squid posted:

Flayn is great because she's so mature and totally not naive at all and is actually the least naive person who ever lived.

As Flayn joined my class I was ready to kill everyone in Fodlan if something bad happened to her.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah it gets explained more in the DLC and on other routes.

Spoilers for the full explanation
Rhea's been experimenting on people to create a vessel to reincarnate her mom into. Byleth's mom was one of those failed experiments, a kind of golem that Rhea created outright. She fell in love with Jeralt and when they had a kid Rhea was really fixated on it and hoped it would be the missing key to be the Sothis vessel (turns out she was right!).

The stuff with the Sword of the Creator was Rhea trying to kickstart Sothis incarnating in Byleth's body and taking it over like she'd previously tried with their mom.

To add to this Rhea saved Jeralt a lot time ago by giving him some of her blood which extended his life much longer than normal, which is one reason why his age is so ~mysterious~. But one of the reasons why Byleth was successful is because his birth was the combination of Jeralt's Rhea-inbued blood mixed with Sothis' crest stone. Oh, and the crest stone that Byleth has in his heart was actually pulled from his mother's chest by Rhea when Byleth was born. Verdent Wind gives a lot of backstory and history to Rhea and her motivations that the other two routes don't. It's the lore route.

Lorenz's hair gets worse after the time jump and I'm upset that Mercedes' hair gets put up, her side loose ponytail is really pretty. I've found absolutely no interest or purpose in using Manuela or Hanneman.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

do u believe in marigolds posted:

To add to this Rhea saved Jeralt a lot time ago by giving him some of her blood which extended his life much longer than normal, which is one reason why his age is so ~mysterious~. But one of the reasons why Byleth was successful is because his birth was the combination of Jeralt's Rhea-inbued blood mixed with Sothis' crest stone. Oh, and the crest stone that Byleth has in his heart was actually pulled from his mother's chest by Rhea when Byleth was born. Verdent Wind gives a lot of backstory and history to Rhea and her motivations that the other two routes don't. It's the lore route.

Lorenz's hair gets worse after the time jump and I'm upset that Mercedes' hair gets put up, her side loose ponytail is really pretty. I've found absolutely no interest or purpose in using Manuela or Hanneman.
The purpose of using Manuela and/or Hanneman is to get access to some of the best support conversations in the game. That, or just eating with them a lot I guess.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 19, 2021

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Recruiting either Hanneman or Manuela is the only way to get the Experience Gem (via their paralogue) to help underleveled units catch up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Mercedes had to cut her hair or else she would die.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Hanneman and Manuela can Meteor/Bolting support, they have a solid list of supports, but that means fighting uphills against Manuela's Reason bane.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Why fight uphill against Manuela's reason bane when you can have FOUR WARPBOTS

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Rimusutera posted:

Why fight uphill against Manuela's reason bane when you can have FOUR WARPBOTS

Why settle for one or the other?!

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Recruiting either Hanneman or Manuela is the only way to get the Experience Gem (via their paralogue) to help underleveled units catch up.

I recruit them every time but I just never use them. I hate their characters and I feel at the point I get them I'm more invested in others. Although I guess Hanneman could be a Dark Bishop if you aren't team Eagles.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Warp is nice but 4-5 range Warp is pretty underwhelming. And then Hanneman doesn't even have that going for him. I think they're the 2 worst pure mages in the game, but hey, at least they're free to recruit.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
warp is warp

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Also, Hanneman's a great character with a fantastic design. Even if I don't really use him, I still get him for his supports and color commentary.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Hanneman's a great example of a book that can be judged from it's cover and you'll get it 'mostly' right, but a snap judgement will miss one key aspect of his character that completely recontextualizes everything about him.

"Ok, so I've talked to him and looked at his character design and he's obviously a quintessential fussy, fuddy-duddy noble scientist-professor"
"Well yes he is that, but he's also a revolutionary working under the nose of the Church to blow up the whole Crest-based status quo. "

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 19, 2021

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

It's not so much that other routes have the full information on Blythe's origins, it's more that the Crimson Flowers route had a moment that highlighted what you don't know and then was like "I'm going to tell you everything you need to know. Did you understand what I told you?" when what it told you was insufficient and wrong.

Anyway, Hanneman rules (as a support character and not as a unit on the battlefield, I never used him for that.) I like that every single one of his supports is basically "why yes I am obsessed with studying crests" until A support where he adds "IN ORDER TO DESTROY THEM" and it never feels weird or extra or distractingly plot twisty. He's pretty solid about it, tbh. There's one support chain -- I don't remember, Lysthia maybe? -- where he's like "I'm a crest scholar sure, but first I'm a person" and you buy it. That's relatively effective characterization, especially given the fairly flat characters in this game.

Manuela is strange because I genuinely don't know enough about Japanese culture to understand her core conflict, like I guess women who aren't good at cleaning up are considered un-marriageable or something? They keep being like "you date too many people and your bedroom is too messy to be married" but I don't understand why that's true and every time it comes up characters are like "well Manuela your personality sucks" without ever getting into why it sucks. But it doesn't matter much because on CF you can marry her to Ferdinand who ends up being a house husband while she takes over as prime minister and that's okay with me.

edit: Oh, so I'm about to beat CF and will do the DLC next. If I play more, which I probably will at this point, I'm going to do the Golden Deer route. What does Rhea's affection change? I've seen things like her paralouge get changed if you have a C+ or higher support with her. Does the story change along with that? I'd love to be able to understand what she's doing and why while still smacking her down but if that's a CF only thing and I'm just skipping story content by having a low support with her I'm down to grind her support up.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 19, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Digital Osmosis posted:

edit: Oh, so I'm about to beat CF and will do the DLC next. If I play more, which I probably will at this point, I'm going to do the Golden Deer route. What does Rhea's affection change? I've seen things like her paralouge get changed if you have a C+ or higher support with her. Does the story change along with that? I'd love to be able to understand what she's doing and why while still smacking her down but if that's a CF only thing and I'm just skipping story content by having a low support with her I'm down to grind her support up.

On VW/AM, Rhea's C support is just for her paralogue. On SS, completing the support chain gives you the option to S rank her at the end.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I've still not played Silver Snow though I have every intention to (though that's in the same pile of intention as "I should really dent my backlog instead of constantly playing Monster Hunter"). When I do, it will both be my first "recruit everybody" run, and also I'm intentionally using people I've never used i.e. Manuela, Hanneman, Anna.

I gather the Hilda recruitment window is really fuckin tight?

Dr. Cool Aids fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sudden Javelin posted:

I've still not played Silver Snow though I have every intention to (though that's in the same pile of intention as "I should really dent my backlog instead of constantly playing Monster Hunter"). When I do, it will both be my first "recruit everybody" run, and also I'm intentionally using people I've never used i.e. Manuela, Hanneman, Anna.

I gather the Hilda recruitment window is really fuckin tight?

You have two weeks to recruit Hilda for Silver Snow, I believe.