Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

Manuela is strange because I genuinely don't know enough about Japanese culture to understand her core conflict, like I guess women who aren't good at cleaning up are considered un-marriageable or something? They keep being like "you date too many people and your bedroom is too messy to be married" but I don't understand why that's true and every time it comes up characters are like "well Manuela your personality sucks" without ever getting into why it sucks. But it doesn't matter much because on CF you can marry her to Ferdinand who ends up being a house husband while she takes over as prime minister and that's okay with me.

I don’t think it’s a Japanese culture thing, I think it’s more that stuff mentioned combined with her being an alcoholic and just generally giving off the vibe of being a lowkey mess. Or in other words, the C-Rank Cyril support. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
It's become clear to me that there are two skills for magic Reason and Faith but there are in fact three types of magic. Black, White and A Diamond On The Front Cover. It's almost like the game is trying to gloss over something. Something to do with a legacy from earlier games perhaps?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The third type is Dark Magic, which is what Hubert and Lysithea (plus Hapi from the DLC, and Edelgard if you get her to Reason B) use. Which is mostly a legacy mechanism, yeah, and it's tied to the Reason skill the same way black magic is. Downside is that it doesn't get the class bonuses from Warlock, but the upside is that it gets cooler spells with more various bonus effects. It's never discussed why those specific characters get their own set of spells, but one can make plot based assumptions should one desire to do so.

Sudden Javelin posted:

I gather the Hilda recruitment window is really fuckin tight?

I had her at a B support already and she showed up on the first day she was available and asked to join. Dunno if that's a specific mechanism for that scenario or I just got lucky, but yeah you've basically got one weekend to recruit her (and Cyril) and one to do their paralogue and if you miss it that's it.

quote:

Hanneman/Manuel

One detail that is super easy to miss is that if you don't recruit them, they leave the Church and join up with Edelgard. I think you only see them in Dimitri's paralogue, where Hanneman will talk about being real devoted to Edelgard's vision.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Prurient Squid posted:

It's become clear to me that there are two skills for magic Reason and Faith but there are in fact three types of magic. Black, White and A Diamond On The Front Cover. It's almost like the game is trying to gloss over something. Something to do with a legacy from earlier games perhaps?

It’s Black, White and Dark. Dark users are pretty limited (Hubert, Edelgard and Lysithea, and from the DLC Hapi and one more character), and their spells aren’t elemental like Black but are weird purple stuff and are named things like Miasma Delta (Miasma Δ) or Hades Omega (Hades Ω). Dark Magic is just a different type of Reason magic, with different skills and classes that affect it (Dark Tomefaire buffs Dark Magic, Black Tomefaire buffs Black etc, but characters will learn the appropriate ones for their magic when leveling Reason so it only really matters with the locked-in class skills)

Previous games did narratively distinguish between Dark and Anima (ie Black) in that Dark was usually curse-y or spooky or corrupting or w/e and this game does too; Dark magic is clearly Slytherin stuff, so playable the characters who use it all have some connection to the Slytherins, and the NPCs with it are (almost always; Field Of Revenge seems to break this rule unless it’s to indicate the Slytherins are working with both sides) Slytherins themselves.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 19, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Gee Lysithea, why does your mom let you cast two plagues of locusts?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had her at a B support already and she showed up on the first day she was available and asked to join. Dunno if that's a specific mechanism for that scenario or I just got lucky, but yeah you've basically got one weekend to recruit her (and Cyril) and one to do their paralogue and if you miss it that's it.

Their paralogue is actually the only one that persists a little past the timeskip for this reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

WrightOfWay posted:

Warp is nice but 4-5 range Warp is pretty underwhelming. And then Hanneman doesn't even have that going for him. I think they're the 2 worst pure mages in the game, but hey, at least they're free to recruit.

I should point out that Manuela isn't actually a pure mage. Her strength growths are on par with her magic growth, and she gets bomber speed to go with her sword affinity. If you don't recruit her, she ends up working for Edelgard and her final class ends up being Assassin of all things.

She's a really good loving unit. And the DLC gave her better options to use her awkward stat spread. Personally, she's my favorite instructor unit out side of Shamir.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 19, 2021

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I just relate to Manuela on a spiritual level.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Manuela is extremely weird because she's a Speed-heavy character with equal Str/Mag growths, but starts off in a healing class and is hampered by a wonky Faith spell list and a bane in Reason.

She's kinda Myrmidon-esque considering her growth rates, and in fact they're very similar to Petra - Petra has 5% more Strength, Manuela has 10% more Magic and Res growths.

She's a potentially good character just blunted by her bases, starting class and (relatively) late recruitment.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Manuela is a hot mess and that's what makes her the most relatable character.

Also her supports with Edelgard are some of both characters' best supports in the whole game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Trickster Manuela OP.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just got back to the post Jeralt killing cutscene and the Flame Emperor was described as being created by the blood of the defiled beast. Knowing the Flame Emperor is Edelgard this sounds super ominous.

To be honest she kind of reminds of Magneto in one of those origins type X Men films now. I.e. supports the bad guy because she agrees the end justifies the means whilst harbouring her own grudge.

e: Calling it, Edelgard is a superweapon or some kind of human atom bomb.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 19, 2021

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah Manuela is extremely weird because she's a Speed-heavy character with equal Str/Mag growths, but starts off in a healing class and is hampered by a wonky Faith spell list and a bane in Reason.

I get that people are lured in by the false premise a lot that the best thing or defining trait of staff users/bishops whatever is healing but I wouldn't pigeonhole those classes that way. Manuela packs a lot of utility.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Prurient Squid posted:

I just got back to the post Jeralt killing cutscene and the Flame Emperor was described as being created by the blood of the defiled beast. Knowing the Flame Emperor is Edelgard this sounds super ominous.

To be honest she kind of reminds of Magneto in one of those origins type X Men films now. I.e. supports the bad guy because she agrees the end justifies the means whilst harbouring her own grudge.

e: Calling it, Edelgard is a superweapon or some kind of human atom bomb.

Didn't you play CF first, or was that someone with a similar avatar?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

Mercedes had to cut her hair or else she would die.

Mercedes is totally Marilyn Monroe but an anime mom, which is a weird vibe.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Mercedes is a mom friend not a mom theres a difference. :colbert:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

When you guys say that Fire Emblem has Slytherin in it you mean that Hubert is the whole Slytherin house himself right?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, he hates those guys, how dare you. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rimusutera posted:

I get that people are lured in by the false premise a lot that the best thing or defining trait of staff users/bishops whatever is healing but I wouldn't pigeonhole those classes that way. Manuela packs a lot of utility.

Ward and Silence are useful but situational, and her Warp range is the worst out of all the possible Warpers because of her worse Mag in practice. Couple that with not learning Physic and bad movement til she goes to Gremory, and it's kinda hard to not feel like you're just babying her to an acceptable level of use through her default class set-up (though this applies to most of the Church people other than Seteth/Catherine/Shamir).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Prurient Squid posted:

When you guys say that Fire Emblem has Slytherin in it you mean that Hubert is the whole Slytherin house himself right?

No, we're talking about Those Who Slither In The Dark, which most posters shorten to Slitherers or Slytherin.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Can abilities stack? I know magic ones can-- classes with heal on characters who learn heal naturally get double the uses. Could a class with a ___faire skill double if a character has S+? What about the magic range+1 abelites, can you combine those? Or is it only for spells and the like?

I just finished Cindered Shadows and am going to start the Golden Deer route. What do people like for Byleth's gender for that route? I figure if I do ever do Azure Moon I'll go girl-Byleth to marry Dimitri, since from what I hear the story is all about him personally. Not sure I'd do Silver Snow but I'd probably aim to marry Rhea, and since she apparently swings both ways I can go either. Not sure about Golden Deer though. Was thinking of building them differently than what I did on my CF run, which was your standard brigand/war master type. Maybe magic or bows? Other than hilarious edge cases like making Byleth a dancer what are some other fun but non-obvious builds for them?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Well, Claude's the only route exclusive and he's only an s-rank for f!byleth, so you might want to have that option open.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I always like playing FByleth to get Sylvain like automatically. Also allows you to do Pegasus Knight Byleth which is great since PegKnight is great. It's not your first run right? So you should have enough renown to buy up your professor level and give you the chance to train flying right away.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

Can abilities stack? I know magic ones can-- classes with heal on characters who learn heal naturally get double the uses. Could a class with a ___faire skill double if a character has S+? What about the magic range+1 abelites, can you combine those? Or is it only for spells and the like?

Everything stacks with itself except for fiendish blow.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

If an ability is learned by Mastering a class and another class has that ability built in as one of its three abilities, it can't be assigned as one of the five optional ability slots. If its learned from tutoring skill ranks it can be stacked with built in three class abilities. That about sums it up. (edit: contrary to the above post, this also includes Vantage on Hero and possibly something else but I cant remember off the top of my head)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ward and Silence are useful but situational, and her Warp range is the worst out of all the possible Warpers because of her worse Mag in practice. Couple that with not learning Physic and bad movement til she goes to Gremory, and it's kinda hard to not feel like you're just babying her to an acceptable level of use through her default class set-up (though this applies to most of the Church people other than Seteth/Catherine/Shamir).

Some of the most powerful / useful combat arts in the game are the essentially 1 tile repositionals like shove and swap, 5 tile warp range might feel bad compared to 15 tile warp range but its still increadibly powerful.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 21, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Rimusutera posted:

If an ability is learned by Mastering a class and another class has that ability built in as one of its three abilities, it can't be assigned as one of the five optional ability slots. If its learned from tutoring skill ranks it can be stacked with built in three class abilities. That about sums it up. (edit: contrary to the above post, this also includes Vantage on Hero and possibly something else but I cant remember off the top of my head)

Unarmed combat, probably. I guess I didn't think about that and vantage because what would stacking them even do?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Unarmed combat, probably. I guess I didn't think about that and vantage because what would stacking them even do?

Right, unarmed combat is the third! I suspect thats actually why the restriction is there, to prevent a player stacking useless abilities. Dark Bishop just happens to also get Fiendish Blow.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Pegasus Knight might be fun but also the girl only DLC classes sound sick so I think I'll go F!Byleth. Not sure I wanna S-support Claude though. I spoiled their ending and it doesn't sound like you marry him, and what's the point of shipping in a game where you don't end up with a husbando?

Weird question but: does anyone use a name other than Byleth? If there was an avatar customization I might but it seems like, for a protagonist insert Byleth has a pretty well defined look, backstory, and personality. I just can't imagine calling them something else.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I tend to just use my name or various nicknames. With the FemylethxClaude ending he ends up returning to Fodlan after loving off a bit and you two do get married

Also Peg Knight is a ladies class, are you thinking of Wyvern? Even then it makes sense to just end in Wyvern Lord for what its worth, the early flying access is good for transitioning to that.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 21, 2021

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Just keep going down the Ars Goetia list.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Female Byleth is mechanically superior on every route, though I guess on AM she loses the benefit of instant recruiting Sylvain. Pegasus Knight's early flight is just more useful than the male only classes. That said, if you want to go male Byleth to marry someone in particular, or just for a change, he is at worst the second best unit on each route and is perfectly viable even on Maddening.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Warmaster Byleth wrecks all sorts of poo poo. Though, once you master it, you can buy it back for F.Byleth to wreck even more poo poo.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Weird question but: does anyone use a name other than Byleth? If there was an avatar customization I might but it seems like, for a protagonist insert Byleth has a pretty well defined look, backstory, and personality. I just can't imagine calling them something else.

For the GDQ run of Three Houses, they named the PC "Von Aegir" :v: Also, they had Joe Zieja call in during to help commentate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gonna have a hard time not just doing infinite Golden Deer runs because Claude is so much fun to hang out with.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Marianne: I don't know of how much use I'll be...

DAMNIT GIRL, YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE IN MY CREW WITH PHYSIC! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?

also while I didn't romance her as a guy and am now girl-Byleth I feel like M!Byleth and Marriane is the OTP, because of the Gilligan's Island theme song

edit: oh wait, question. So the time-skip. Is it ever explained what the gently caress happened to Byleth? He was just like "Yeah I was asleep for five years!" on CF and everyone was like "oh that's cool." Is this the kind of thing I'll get more info on now that I'm running with the Golden Deer or is the entirety of it "yeah Byleth slept for five years because of... uh... the goddess?"

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 22, 2021

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
That's basically it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

edit: oh wait, question. So the time-skip. Is it ever explained what the gently caress happened to Byleth? He was just like "Yeah I was asleep for five years!" on CF and everyone was like "oh that's cool." Is this the kind of thing I'll get more info on now that I'm running with the Golden Deer or is the entirety of it "yeah Byleth slept for five years because of... uh... the goddess?"

I think it never gets directly stated but you get enough information through the routes to make an educated guess about what happened.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also if you know anything about manaketes going to sleep when they are injured is just something they do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Digital Osmosis posted:

Marianne: I don't know of how much use I'll be...

DAMNIT GIRL, YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE IN MY CREW WITH PHYSIC! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?

also while I didn't romance her as a guy and am now girl-Byleth I feel like M!Byleth and Marriane is the OTP, because of the Gilligan's Island theme song

You might want to watch the Seteth/Flayn A support and then come back to us with the question.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the reason to go male byleth is to master war master so you can have quick riposte on all future NG+ runs on both versions of byleth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

the reason to go male byleth is to master war master so you can have quick riposte on all future NG+ runs on both versions of byleth

:hmmyes:

Similarly it's a lot of fun to get male Byleth to inherit female-only skills like Darting Blow. I had a ton of fun on Maddening playing a War Master Byleth with Darting Blow + Quick Riposte and a near-100% crit rate :black101: