Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it was The Male Online from the viz I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

I don't know what Keir Starmer sounds like :smuggo: The benefits of never watching video anything.

I don't even own an MP4 decoder.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I just watch zoetropes of Keith and make a faint wibbling noise to myself, the effect is the same

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

in
our
our
Excellent work cleansing propertarian and centrist slanders from new Madness song comrade.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Aidan_702 posted:

Hi everyone yesterday I got my first dose of the vaccine (not sure why so early but I’m assuming because I have/had asthma?). Anyway some advice:

Holy poo poo a ‘good’ reaction to the vaccine is the absolute worst I have felt in years. I wanted someone to come along and punch me hard enough to put me in a coma. I was fine, although felt a little ‘weighty’ afterwards but at the post 8 hour mark the intense chills and boiling hot insides along with every muscle screaming in pain started. I had spooky dreams about doom eternal and the need to pick up never ending green key cards. I had actual pools of sweat by my legs in. I can only imagine what my reaction to actual COVID is and god I don’t want to go outside until I’m 99.9% immune as measured by some godlike AI. At the moment I still feel a little giddy and wondering if I actually make sense

So if you get the vaccine please make sure you have enough
1) painkillers (paracetamol and ibuprofen are okay to take with it)
2) as much liquid as can fit in your home and
3) preferably someone to look after you and ensure you don’t burn you house down while you sit with your head in your hands having diarrhoea and the only food you could face eating - tomato soup - explodes or something.

I know someone else is gonna be like “I had mine and just felt a little sleepy!” Well gently caress you

A friend of mine with asthma who is about 10 years younger than me got his a week or so ago (England).

Sounds somewhat like the reaction I had to the flu jab a couple of months ago. (And also like the reaction I had to eating Quorn about 3 years ago which decided me never to eat Quorn ever again.)
Did you have Pfizer or Oxford? (Ed: just saw your later comment about it being something 'old school'.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 19, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1362703567757455362?s=19

This is surprising and welcome. Hopefully the same is applied to gig economy workers across the board.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

God if we could end the fake self-employed bit, that'd be amazing.

Now the Uber drivers are employees they should unionise!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Womp womp

https://twitter.com/sammisam147/status/1362497533990305792?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

haha eat poo poo darren

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe the right wing grift machine treated a working class northern lad as an expendable commodity. Maybe if he'd been more conservative...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Two good bits of news in one day. gently caress off Grimey

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol this is great

https://twitter.com/JeremiasPrassl/status/1362701794661584897?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's the specific effect of that? I dunno what that makes the company liable for. If they have to pay you minimum wage for being logged in that'd be funny but that seems too much to hope for.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Sad to hear about the technical error that logs them out every 5 seconds when not driving.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What's the specific effect of that? I dunno what that makes the company liable for. If they have to pay you minimum wage for being logged in that'd be funny but that seems too much to hope for.

I assume if you're logged in that means you're available to pick up passengers, so hard to defraud by having it on when you're sitting on the couch.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also it's presumably bad news for the Govt. If Uber now needs fewer drivers (because they'll have to pay them at least minimum wage, so there's encouragement to have as few as they can get away with), that's fewer people employed.
And I guess it opens the doors for similar cases from delivery drivers who 'work' for Deliveroo, Just Eat, etc.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

I assume if you're logged in that means you're available to pick up passengers, so hard to defraud by having it on when you're sitting on the couch.

Yeah. I suppose the only other concerns would be drivers idling in the middle of nowhere or declining every job - but Uber could deal with that the way actual employers deal with productivity issues.

The reality of this will probably be that Uber just fucks off out of the UK because their model almost certainly won't turn them a profit if they have to treat drivers like humans.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^^Uber doesn't make money anyway, it was burning investor cash to undermine workers rights while establishing a service monopoly. This has wrecked their business model at a strategic level.

You'd have thought that Uber would raise the obvious objections about logging in at home, I'd guess the court assumed the location tracking in the app also permits them to declare when people are on roads or not as a proxy for in a car and on the job.

Good result overall though and going to do wonders for all app delivery workers.

namesake fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 19, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

Yeah. I suppose the only other concerns would be drivers idling in the middle of nowhere or declining every job - but Uber could deal with that the way actual employers deal with productivity issues.

The reality of this will probably be that Uber just fucks off out of the UK because their model almost certainly won't turn them a profit if they have to treat drivers like humans.

I thought it hadn't turned a profit anywhere anyway and just ran on VC money.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Supposedly (pre-COVID) London is one of only three or four places in the world where Uber is profitable, so I doubt they will be in a hurry to withdraw.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Though they will be working on rolling the abysmal prop 22 out nationwide in the US, so maybe they'll decide to focus on that future with more upside.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BristolCouncil/status/1362469713620721668?s=20

Why the hell is a Labour council advertising loans to improve empty homes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

treat drivers like humans.

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it hadn't turned a profit anywhere anyway and just ran on VC money.
Yeah the whole thing was a techbro pipe to eventually have (tech) non-human workers or (capitalist) ~non-human workers~.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

peanut- posted:

Supposedly (pre-COVID) London is one of only three or four places in the world where Uber is profitable, so I doubt they will be in a hurry to withdraw.

But Uber will threaten to leave and we need to pretend that other companies will not immediately step in to that market, better give Uber an exception to the law.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Who the gently caress owns empty property?

Oh, it's landlords.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

not read the ruling but "working time" here implies exactly what you're saying. Assuming they've decided that it's the same as how the requirement you be paid follows the employers requirement you be on site, oncalls aside.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

It would fine if it was tied in to a requirement to affordable rental or sale, as a way to bring housing stock back in to circulation.

Of course it won't be....

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
A reminder that over 95% of Uber drivers are already licensed taxi drivers

The best outcome of this is Uber cannot run at a profit and are replaced by a local government provided taxi app which performs exactly th same function

Now that Uber has sold off its self driving car subsidiary it's only purpose for capital is disciplining Labour - if it can't do that in the UK it doesn't serve much purpose. Of course they are going to fight this tooth and nail since it's their entire reason for being but it's a good step for the UK at least.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

OwlFancier posted:

I think minimum wage is exactly what it means. If you are at work for an employer, they have to pay you minimum wage even if they have no work for you = diametric opposite of the gig economy business model. If the business is actually viable it should be able to do this. We call them taxi companies.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OzyMandrill posted:

I think minimum wage is exactly what it means. If you are at work for an employer, they have to pay you minimum wage even if they have no work for you = diametric opposite of the gig economy business model. If the business is actually viable it should be able to do this. We call them taxi companies.

taxi companies absolutely dont do this fwiw, at least none round here. its always points on the fare without minimum wage, the gig contractor model absolutely did its job

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/TheMattWain/status/1362718569964920833?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

I wouldn't say using a Pixel (or one of the cheaper generic Androids that allow access to the dev interface) and running a GPS spoofer is that hard. If they somehow are able to restrict that, I'm willing to bet someone has already worked out a way to do it with a Pi and an RTL dongle.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't say using a Pixel (or one of the cheaper generic Androids that allow access to the dev interface) and running a GPS spoofer is that hard. If they somehow are able to restrict that, I'm willing to bet someone has already worked out a way to do it with a Pi and an RTL dongle.

Spoofing your location doesn't help you with the fact that if you are "logged in" but not picking up any rides Uber are gonna figure you out pretty quickly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

taxi companies absolutely dont do this fwiw, at least none round here. its always points on the fare without minimum wage, the gig contractor model absolutely did its job

That's always been the case for taxis and minicabs in London (some PHVs like limos and shuttle services are waged rather than per-trip, but if it's something you just use to get home from the pub it's fares-based).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jacksbrat posted:

I think it was someone in here who said Adam Curtis sounds like Keir Starmer so thanks for completely changing my viewing experience. He also reminds of the friend from What We Do in the Shadows, the one they have to abstain from killing despite looking like he's full of delicious blood. There would be some tortured metaphor to be made here about him being a useful idiot for the labour right ghouls but after the spy cops abstention stuff I'm sure he's in the coven.

Some excellent graphic design.

I feel inspired to invest in Britain by disembodied pair of hands and woman who seems to be getting strangled at first glance.

Powerful messaging.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

peanut- posted:

Spoofing your location doesn't help you with the fact that if you are "logged in" but not picking up any rides Uber are gonna figure you out pretty quickly.

Yeah I mean this is just a new form of fudging the numbers on your timesheet

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Try getting an Uber from Heathrow to east London, or any other trip they don't fancy doing, and you'll see they've already worked out a way around it - they just drive off from whatever west London side-street they've plotted up at and head for the Uxbridge Road where they get "caught in traffic" long enough for the user to cancel the trip, something that actually earns them a share of the £10 cancellation fee and doesn't hurt their driver rating.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

Yeah and if there's an actual contract of employment presumably Uber could say to a driver 'you haven't had any rides in your area for the last month, move somewhere busier'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

A reminder that over 95% of Uber drivers are already licensed taxi drivers

That number is *supposed* to be 100%, because to my knowledge anywhere in the UK built-up enough for Uber to be interested in operating in require a PHV license (or their local equivalent). The PHV is just a criminal record check on top of a normal license though (fighting this requirement was one of the big "innovations" they tried to bring to the London minicab market).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What a massive oval office

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1362729819105026048?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really weird that his calls for everyone to shut up and rally around the leader to pose a united front against the Tories only started in the last 10 months. :iiam: