Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a shipping container pervert myself. Build like a brick shithouse and all of it is structural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Elviscat posted:

Buy your uncle an account.

He also bought full scale plans for an old steam locomotive and built a tiny one to ride around his property.

He would make for an interesting poster if he wasn't a racist CHUD.

Oh, and two other people in my family have bought boxcars, lol.

TIP fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 19, 2021

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rytheric posted:

So I hate to advertise, but if yall played eve echoes you'd also get to hear the stories that don't make it to the forum such as how I got pink eye today, and the idea of towing a sailing canoe behind a motorcycle plus several more.

played toilet eve and got pink eye. i think we can connect the dots on that one

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is it like a freight boxcar or from an old Amtrak train or something?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

net work error posted:

I think he specifically bought one that was used for refrigerated cargo so that it came fully insulated.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

net work error posted:

Probably freight.

People convert containers into homes and a boxcar is bigger volume, higher load ratings, plus it loads from the side.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tip posted:

I think he specifically bought one that was used for refrigerated cargo so that it came fully insulated.

Okay so that's something that I hadn't considered. That's a pro move.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tip posted:

He also bought full scale plans for an old steam locomotive and built a tiny one to ride around his property.

He would make for an interesting poster if he wasn't a racist CHUD.

Oh, and two other people in my family have bought boxcars, lol.

Is your family the Boxcar Children?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

um excuse me posted:

Okay so that's something that I hadn't considered. That's a pro move.

Now how do we GroverRail it?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Anias posted:

Probably freight.

People convert containers into homes and a boxcar is bigger volume, higher load ratings, plus it loads from the side.

Boxcars also come with wood flooring that looks good once you sand it down and treat it.

Plus you get those huge doors on both sides. My uncle keeps those open and put windows and french doors in the openings to let in a lot of light, but when a tornado comes he just closes the big doors and doesn't have to worry about flying debris or anything since all the walls are thick steel.

It's honestly a lot nicer than I expected when I first heard about it, much better than living in a shipping container.

It's basically like a shotgun house, except the entrances are in the middle. His is laid out with a bathroom on one end, then kitchen, then dining room, then living room, then bedroom. The second boxcar is for extra storage and a larger entertaining space.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
I need pictures of this boxcar for research purposes

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, in GroverTruk I have a fold away Thai mattress. I have nothing in my grovertruk bedroom except the mattress and sleeping bag with blankets.

Having more than 4 sets of clothes stresses me out.

Why does having more than 4 sets of clothing stress you out? GroverTruk doesn't have a LaundryWagon?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Sorry everyone I somehow locked this thread at midnight and honestly don't know how I did it. Hope it doesn't happen again lol

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

fennesz posted:

Why does having more than 4 sets of clothing stress you out? GroverTruk doesn't have a LaundryWagon?

Having more than 4 sets is just too much. I find it just piles on the floor and there are stragglers that never get washed. I never put them up etc. If it's 4 sets of clothes I am able to make sure they get on their hangers and such. I would prefer to wash clothes twice a week than once a week and have to deal with the clutter.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Sorry everyone I somehow locked this thread at midnight and honestly don't know how I did it. Hope it doesn't happen again lol

I saw that it was locked and legit was like :ohdear:

Glad it's not cause you fell in a vast underground reservoir of poo while looking for gold pressed latinum

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Rytheric is like the mathematical perfection of goon...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Seconded.

Tip posted:

Boxcars also come with wood flooring that looks good once you sand it down and treat it.

Isn't that wood flooring treated with a bunch of really nasty chemicals to keep them waterproof? Or were just pallets that had that treatment, I'm not sure...

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Space Kablooey posted:

Seconded.

Isn't that wood flooring treated with a bunch of really nasty chemicals to keep them waterproof? Or were just pallets that had that treatment, I'm not sure...

I lived in a chem lab for a decade. I am already one with the nasty chemicals lol. I think its just pressure treated 2x2 cores laminated into planks, charred on the bottom and painted on the top. Water is doing some damage where the paint has rubbed off.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

Here is a Playlist of me sailing for those who were interested in my voyages.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcSjIBUk1DQ7gIpn20yprdfoBptQo4N3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOt3oQ_k008

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I'm sailing. ⛵
I appreciate that song. Usually I'm on a boat by lonely island comes to mind.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I'm going to work on the floor of GroverTruk this weekend. I'm probably going to use 1x2 or 3 slats on top of the box floor, put a layer of reflectix down on top of the slats, then nail slats onto of the sub slats with 3/4 inch foam board on top of the reflectix on either side of the slats followed by plywood sheathing. I would have preferred more insulation but oh well.

Edit: ugh. I was just laying down the slats in my mind and realized if I put the plywood down, I lose the ability to take the siding off my walls which is important if I need to adjust the position of the studs making up the door frame for my French doors. Do I put down the floor and potentially risk having to rip it up again or get the doors first?

I have heard many diys say to buy your doors and windows first before framing, but thats the more expensive part lol. Maybe I done goofed by not following that advice.

So what do yall think. Doors before floors or floors before doors?

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 19, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rytheric posted:

I lived in a chem lab for a decade. I am already one with the nasty chemicals lol. I think its just pressure treated 2x2 cores laminated into planks, charred on the bottom and painted on the top. Water is doing some damage where the paint has rubbed off.

As another person who survived working as a chemist, that should absolutely be your sign that you should put more, not less, effort into evading the exotic stuff.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Tulip posted:

As another person who survived working as a chemist, that should absolutely be your sign that you should put more, not less, effort into evading the exotic stuff.

I feel I had a more of a meh, if I get cancer this is the life I chose mentality. Though when I started breathing in all the dust and lime while working as a construction inspector I did start getting more cautious about my air quality and siliosis. My lungs are probably going to hate me in the future. But that was more me willing to throw myself into danger rather than having someone else put me into dangerous situations. If I start exhaling plumes of hydrochloric acid through my sindged nose hairs in a lab because I neglected to use a fume hood that's different than someone dumping tons of lime beside me and having to take cover to breathe. The inverse is also true. I can live in a shoddy shack, but I'd build the MurderHaus that I rent out to higher standards than I would to build for myself.

Edit: Also, I'm leaning toward doors before floors.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

So I'm going to work on the floor of GroverTruk this weekend. I'm probably going to use 1x2 or 3 slats on top of the box floor, put a layer of reflectix down on top of the slats, then nail slats onto of the sub slats with 3/4 inch foam board on top of the reflectix on either side of the slats followed by plywood sheathing. I would have preferred more insulation but oh well.

Edit: ugh. I was just laying down the slats in my mind and realized if I put the plywood down, I lose the ability to take the siding off my walls which is important if I need to adjust the position of the studs making up the door frame for my French doors. Do I put down the floor and potentially risk having to rip it up again or get the doors first?

I have heard many diys say to buy your doors and windows first before framing, but thats the more expensive part lol. Maybe I done goofed by not following that advice.

So what do yall think. Doors before floors or floors before doors?

Why the hell are you going to install 3/4" foam board under flooring? Like, are you gonna do firring to prevent foot traffic from crushing that foam to dust wherever you walk?

I don't understand the thought process here

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

Why the hell are you going to install 3/4" foam board under flooring? Like, are you gonna do firring to prevent foot traffic from crushing that foam to dust wherever you walk?

I don't understand the thought process here

The 1x2 slats are going to be supporting the weight of the flooring which I guess you can say will work like a furing strip. And you don't really walk much in that room as there isnt much space for it. You take one step and sit down or lay down. I could see if they have 1/2 foam board but I believe 3/4th will be adequate

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 19, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rytheric posted:

I looked through a family photo album and the closest I could find were some pictures of abandoned murdertruks on his property. I'll see if my mom has any pictures.

Space Kablooey posted:

Hmm, I dunno. I'm no boxcar expert but places do sell reclaimed wood from boxcars and suggest they make good surfaces for tables. Hopefully they're not doing that if they're literal poison.

https://www.reclaimeddesignworks.com/products/view/boxcar-planks
We have a limited supply of reclaimed boxcar planks. These oak or maple planks were used as the original flooring in railroad boxcars and were removed when the railroad car was decommissioned. These planks are beautifully worn from years of use and their size and thickness make them ideal for residential or commercial use as table tops, bar tops, islands, benches, shelving and more. Each plank is roughly 2-1/4” thick x roughly 12” wide x 8’ long.  Availability and exact sizes vary, so please contact a sales rep for more info on these unique products.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Space Kablooey posted:

That would only be a problem in the truck if there was a risk of fire. Oh wait...

:grovertruk:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

The 1x2 slats are going to be supporting the weight of the flooring which I guess you can say will work like a furing strip. And you don't really walk much in that room as there isnt much space for it. You take one step and sit down or lay down. I could see if they have 1/2 foam board but I believe 3/4th will be adequate

Wait, so your firring strips and foam board are also going to serve as your subfloor? Like, you're not even gonna lay lauan down?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

Wait, so your firring strips and foam board are also going to serve as your subfloor? Like, you're not even gonna lay lauan down?

Am I going to lay lauan down on a boxtruck floor? For a 5.5ft by 7ft room? No. I'm just going to have plywood resting on furing strip with reflectix and foam board for insulation.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Thank god we're back. I was already having withdrawals even with discord.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

OniPanda posted:

Thank god we're back. I was already having withdrawals even with discord.

Lol. Sorry for my fat fingers.

In other news. I have another date tomorrow. The second of the year is just too busy to schedule anything so I've moved on. So third of the year and I are going to a burger joint. My elderly roommates at my boss's house are recommending I take one of their vehicles instead of the GroverTruk so im conflicted. They're saying to bring them to my boss's house and show them I'm not crazy before introducing them to the GroverTruk.

For the record, I have shown three women the GroverTruk so far and even had the "first date" with one sharing pizza inside of it then watching anime with them at their place afterwards. Only one has blocked me, so I don't know how bad it truly is as an idea. So im one for three with GroverTruk as the first date idea.

Edit: I tried to introduce number 3 to toilet eve as I told her I was using it as a financial discipline simulator. She said she probably wouldn't be interested after I told her about the concept of spreadsheets in space.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 20, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

What was the anime

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Antivehicular posted:

What was the anime

She introduced me to Aggretsuko

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Solid choice

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I dont know. I wasn't the biggest fan. It was okay. It wasn't that relatable to me though I understood it a bit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OP, have you considered burying the truk (and/or haus and/or shitter) once it's fitted out? That way you could have it double as a bomb shelter, just like the guy in Canada who made that huge, creepy underground compound out of old school buses.

e: Found a video tour of the place I'm thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3pHt1lkHuM

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 20, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

OP, have you considered burying the truk (and/or haus and/or shitter) once it's fitted out? That way you could have it double as a bomb shelter, just like the guy in Canada who made that huge, creepy underground compound out of old school buses.

This could work but the exhaust can't be modified due to the delicate balance of failing factors inside the engine bay. The truck would have to be buried upside-down with the exhaust pipe fully above ground

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ry, don't end up like this.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Ry, don't end up like this.

Lolol. That is incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

mewse posted:

This could work but the exhaust can't be modified due to the delicate balance of failing factors inside the engine bay. The truck would have to be buried upside-down with the exhaust pipe fully above ground

I mean, you wouldn't want the exhaust below ground. Geothermal doesn't really work that way unless geothermal is nothing but grovertruks buried from the rys of ancient past.