Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Oh Jesus, that font and those little triangles, they are absolutely deliberately chasing the 40s wartime nostalgia there, making it look like a ration book or i dunno, the packaging on a box of mothballs or something. How completely cynical.

More and more I feel good about having left. I didn't want to, and I might still vote for them, but I can't support them. Plenty of charities and campaigns out there helping people directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

Oh Jesus, that font and those little triangles, they are absolutely deliberately chasing the 40s wartime nostalgia there, making it look like a ration book or i dunno, the packaging on a box of mothballs or something.
I hope they can make the brand smell nice and banned by the EU because of the cancer.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

These labour memes are still on an upward trajectory. One of the very first ones was a gif of kier walking into a beam of light in a dark auditorium with THEY SAID WE COULDN'T BUILD A COUNTRY FIT FOR HEROES emblazoned over it.

I cba to find it right now though

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Lol what an odious loving prick.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/multiplebears/status/1362676546616627200?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think the only thing more fruitless than following British journalism would be tweeting about them

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol at the calls for unity after spending four years slagging the poo poo out of Corbyn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
re pronounchat yesterday:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
top news story today is harry dumping the royal family lol

i really hope he does the tackiest crap imaginable. celebrity big brother or whatever

tv ads for burger king

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

prince harry on the masked singer

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The thing is Dirge has three meanings.

There is the informal but common meaning of it (a slow, miserable or boring speech.) And the literal meaning which is a sad song of mourning.

I suspect the first tweet about Keith's speech was using the Lieteral meaning of Dirge while the reply tweet used the informal meaning.

The third meaning of Dirge is of course the best Jet based Decepticon.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Dirge_%28G1%29

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

tv ads for burger king
Can't do anything that claims a relation to a royal title, he'll have to do McDonald's if he can get it. More likely In-N-Out or Tim Horton's.

The Question IRL posted:

The thing is Dirge has three meanings.
Fourth is an ironic misspelling of dirigible.

heckin chonky dirge

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can't help reading this in extreme Chandler Bing voice.

Oh, that'll teach me for thinking I'm clever at 4am.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Fourth is an ironic misspelling of dirigible.

heckin chonky dirge

BOVRIL

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i like old fashioned, balls out advertising

GUINNESS MAKES YOU VERILE

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

To be fair, this has always been business as usual under the Labour right. Conferences are stage managed. Trying to make them actually a bit democratic was something Corbyn was trying to do, so they were always going to roll it back. Same with nobbling CLPs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

i like old fashioned, balls out advertising

GUINNESS MAKES YOU VERILE
Guinness reminds me a bit of cold Bovril. Similarly polarizing too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Guinness reminds me a bit of cold Bovril. Similarly polarizing too.

Guinness is maybe the one thing we successfully stole valour from the Brits for

(Arthur Guinness may technically be Irish but he would have argued against it and he was a complete oval office and traitor)

E: lmao

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1362758365273800707?s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 19, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you're taking that road, Scottish born Presbyterian and hater of Popery John Jameson, who first successfully ran a still in Stirling before failson-in-lawing off to Dublin, is right there too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Guinness is maybe the one thing we successfully stole valour from the Brits for

(Arthur Guinness may technically be Irish but he would have argued against it and he was a complete oval office and traitor)

you would have been good at giving the storehouse tours

i love guinness original :guinness:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

If you're taking that road, Scottish born Presbyterian and hater of Popery John Jameson, who first successfully ran a still in Stirling before failson-in-lawing off to Dublin, is right there too.

A fair point, I think it's funnier with Guinness though, essential being the emblem of our nation abroad (and actually having the real emblem of our nation as its logo) - yet its founder kept busy shopping in Irish republicans to the authorities, and his descendants are nothing but generation after generation of parasitic landlord oval office.

Fwiw, I've met one of the big-money Guineas scions socially a few times , and he's actually a very pleasant and deeply insane person to chat to. Nevertheless, I wish his bloodline ill

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Failed Imagineer posted:

he's actually a very pleasant and deeply insane person to chat to.

This is how I want to be described in my old age.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i remember years ago i was chatting to a local radio personality here and he told me that in the old days the pubs around the ship yards in Belfast had to serve guinness from tin baths, such was the influx of patrons after knocking off time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

taxi companies absolutely dont do this fwiw, at least none round here. its always points on the fare without minimum wage, the gig contractor model absolutely did its job

That's what I was wondering, is it they have to pay you minimum wage or is it they have to ensure that your average income per hour worked is not less than the minimum wage (subject to spotty enforcement)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

There hasn't even been any kind of attack campaign or smears against him. This is literally just the outcome of people see the things he's said and done.

There's been editorials calling him poo poo, but those were just reactions to him actually being poo poo and mostly involved pleading for him to be less poo poo.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

That's what I was wondering, is it they have to pay you minimum wage or is it they have to ensure that your average income per hour worked is not less than the minimum wage (subject to spotty enforcement)

neither. If you have a poo poo day, you have a poo poo day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He really ate poo poo in november but I can't remember exactly what might have caused that.

Other than maybe the general "announce the government's policy five minutes after they do and claim it was your idea" bit.

Spangly A posted:

neither. If you have a poo poo day, you have a poo poo day.

Fair enough. I was thinking it seemed a bit surprising that there wasn't already a way for employees to be treated that way.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

IIRC it's the latter, averaged over 4 weeks (or some other period of time), minus your actual fare earnings (i.e. if you're on-shift for 120 hours over that period and earn less than £1046 in that time from fares they have to top you up to £1046, not give you £1046 plus fares)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

Fair enough. I was thinking it seemed a bit surprising that there wasn't already a way for employees to be treated that way.

I think there are differences between Uber-style gig economy and actual cab jobs, mostly relating to employment protections, but I'll be hosed if I can remember them. It's been a while.

the app on/working time parts of the judgement will have major consequences for a few local companies if they're pressed. I know a guy working for one company that sets regular hours for shifts, requires their own app be on during work hours (to route journeys and moniter drivers), and still pays points on the trip. I've nudged them to consider getting a union involved before because I couldn't see how the operation aligned with UK law, this seems to confirm that.

They're in deep poo poo if they end up owing backpay on top of the employer contributions and working through tax changes.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IIRC it's the latter, averaged over 4 weeks (or some other period of time), minus your actual fare earnings (i.e. if you're on-shift for 120 hours over that period and earn less than £1046 in that time from fares they have to top you up to £1046, not give you £1046 plus fares)

people working with the company I mentioned got their averages (for the self-employment fund last year) from the office so they seem to track them, so this fits.

I'll ask the guy later if he's ever had a wage topup/fallen below minimum wage.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 19, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I did think this was how minwage rules were supposed to work but fortunately my company is pretty clear and not actually too bad on paying me while I am at work, so I never had to check. The fixed rate jobs have always worked out better than minwage by a decent margin. So it's never come up.

That said I also would not be remotely surprised if companies were regularly getting away with not doing that for whatever reason.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

i remember years ago i was chatting to a local radio personality here and he told me that in the old days the pubs around the ship yards in Belfast had to serve guinness from tin baths, such was the influx of patrons after knocking off time

drink enough of 'em and you can help refill the bath

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

namesake posted:

^^^^Uber doesn't make money anyway, it was burning investor cash to undermine workers rights while establishing a service monopoly.

When I last looked Uber was making money on its core ride-hailing business, but was ploughing such vast sums into marketing, compensation, weird poo poo like flying taxis and chasing the white elephant that is autonomous driving that it was overall lossmaking despite that.

I wonder what this means for the drivers themselves. Uber doesn’t really have a good way of preventing drivers from driving with Ola or Bolt or whoever.

It’s also a bit premature to celebrate: first because Uber will I suspect say that the case turned on their old business model and now they are more careful not to exert the kind of control over drivers that would make them into workers. That would need to be litigated again.

But second because If there’s any real risk that the ruling would extend to the entire gig industry, I think we will see legislation to protect Uber, Deliveroo etc. Partly because we have a Tory government and partly because inadequate though it often is, gig economy income is still income and if companies like Uber scale back right now, that means immediate job losses in a horrible economy, and even the Tories don’t actually want that (unless the jobs being lost are organised labour).

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Aidan_702 posted:

Hi everyone yesterday I got my first dose of the vaccine (not sure why so early but I’m assuming because I have/had asthma?). Anyway some advice:

Holy poo poo a ‘good’ reaction to the vaccine is the absolute worst I have felt in years. I wanted someone to come along and punch me hard enough to put me in a coma. I was fine, although felt a little ‘weighty’ afterwards but at the post 8 hour mark the intense chills and boiling hot insides along with every muscle screaming in pain started. I had spooky dreams about doom eternal and the need to pick up never ending green key cards. I had actual pools of sweat by my legs in. I can only imagine what my reaction to actual COVID is and god I don’t want to go outside until I’m 99.9% immune as measured by some godlike AI. At the moment I still feel a little giddy and wondering if I actually make sense

So if you get the vaccine please make sure you have enough
1) painkillers (paracetamol and ibuprofen are okay to take with it)
2) as much liquid as can fit in your home and
3) preferably someone to look after you and ensure you don’t burn you house down while you sit with your head in your hands having diarrhoea and the only food you could face eating - tomato soup - explodes or something.

I know someone else is gonna be like “I had mine and just felt a little sleepy!” Well gently caress you

Lol I read this like an hour after getting the Oxford/AZ vaccine myself and you have me bricking it a bit. 5 hours in and just a slowly ramping up headache atm...

TreeTrunks
Aug 16, 2018
I had the Oxford/Az jab and had a sore arm and felt a bit hungover for a day or so. I've heard if you've had covid previously, then you'll have much more pronounced side effects

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My nan had covid and got the AZ jab a few days ago. Don't think she got symptoms but then her with-covid blood oxy/pulse rate are healthier than mine so she's just got magic blood or something.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

]
heckin chonky dirge

Pay for your covid bonds with dirgecoin

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

TreeTrunks posted:

I had the Oxford/Az jab and had a sore arm and felt a bit hungover for a day or so. I've heard if you've had covid previously, then you'll have much more pronounced side effects

This is reassuring.

Tesseraction posted:

My nan had covid and got the AZ jab a few days ago. Don't think she got symptoms but then her with-covid blood oxy/pulse rate are healthier than mine so she's just got magic blood or something.

This is good too, hooray for bulletproof nans :unsmith:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's ridiculous. She once broke her arm on a fall and only found out the next day saying it was still sore and got told to ask the GP who was like "I'm pretty sure that's broken" and the x-ray confirmed it was broken in like 2 places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My grandmother once fell over and then complained about her back hurting for a few weeks afterwards. We put cold compresses and warm pillows on it, but the pain persisted so she went to the doctor. Turned out she'd broken her spine.