Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Splicer posted:

I understand the FA switch but continue to dislike how authoritarianism locks you out of space communism.

anarcho-communists only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jazerus posted:

the zroni should give a special psionic megastructure that lets you mess with the shroud in incredibly ill-advised ways

fwiw this is in the gigastructures mod and it is great
it auto starts the Unbidden a while after you build it and being able to cause a midgame Crisis and fight the Khan at the same time is fun

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They should make Necroid and Lithoid precursors. An entire tombworld system that processes your pops twice as fast or something and a system full of barren worlds and powdered Lith.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The gigastructure mod should change the Vaultum to give a computer planet world :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dirk the Average posted:

Not particularly a big fan of how you apparently must join the imperium. If your federation is strong enough, and dislikes the proposed emperor enough, you should absolutely be able to opt out of the galactic community at that point and go it alone. At that point there should be a CB to bring those who seceded in line, and likewise the option for the empires that left to destabilize the empire or join the rebellion.
You aren't forced to join, you're forced to join either the empire or the rebels. If you're strong enough to go it alone you're strong enough to bring victory to the rebels

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
argghhhh I can't believe how much of a pain population management is in this game; after about 50 years it feels like 80% of my time is spent shuffling pops between planets and managing district and building construction. I grabbed a mod to start each planet with all its building slots unlocked and that helps some; unfortunately, even when I have the minerals for the buildings + districts I can't just build them all out at once without the upkeep crashing my economy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Leal posted:

The gigastructure mod should change the Vaultum to give a computer planet world :v:
Would you get an achievement for cracking it?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

fashionly snort posted:

argghhhh I can't believe how much of a pain population management is in this game; after about 50 years it feels like 80% of my time is spent shuffling pops between planets and managing district and building construction. I grabbed a mod to start each planet with all its building slots unlocked and that helps some; unfortunately, even when I have the minerals for the buildings + districts I can't just build them all out at once without the upkeep crashing my economy.

I lied; I can believe it. I'm just a sucker who's apparently too dumb to ever stop banging my head against this particular wall

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

anarcho-communists only

I read this as "arachno-communists." Commie spiders are going to web up the bugeoisie.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dirk the Average posted:

Not particularly a big fan of how you apparently must join the imperium. If your federation is strong enough, and dislikes the proposed emperor enough, you should absolutely be able to opt out of the galactic community at that point and go it alone. At that point there should be a CB to bring those who seceded in line, and likewise the option for the empires that left to destabilize the empire or join the rebellion.

If you didn't want to join the Imperium you should have either voted against the proposition or left the Galactic Community when you saw the writing on the wall.

I imagine anyone who leaves the Galactic Community before the Imperium forms will have a high opinion modifier for anyone else who's not a part of the Imperium, specifically to facilitate forming a counter-Federation.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
So I got Horizon Signal to trigger, which seems like an interesting and long storyline. Problem is that after a few decades of psychic transcendence and gene modding I don’t have a single pop left of my founder species. I read up on workarounds and they sound like such a giant pain in the rear end that I’m just gonna pass on the whole thing rather than start a new colony of inferior beings and hope it makes a scientist pop up at some point.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Embrace the worm

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

fashionly snort posted:

Let me repeat a post I made a year ago:

:pray: Dear paradox, I would pay $20 for a dlc that fixes the midgame micro hell. Pop management, constant planet management. :pray:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just convince yourself that resettlement doesn't exist. play egalitarian so that there's a tiny penalty for using it and let that convince your brain that it's bad.

you'll make maybe 5% less resources at most over the entire game and you'll be much happier for it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jazerus posted:

just convince yourself that resettlement doesn't exist. play egalitarian so that there's a tiny penalty for using it and let that convince your brain that it's bad.

you'll make maybe 5% less resources at most over the entire game and you'll be much happier for it

This doesn’t work with necroid origin, btw, where only necrophages can be governor class.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

wilderthanmild posted:

Create "volunteers" or "expeditionary force" mechanic similar to the one from HoI4. Like you can send a certain percentage of your total fleet power to go assist and either control them or give up control to the assisted faction.

ahhhh if it already exists in other paradox games, why is it not in stellaris? you should be able to do that to assist other empires at war, too. please stellaris team, just start porting these things in

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

ulmont posted:

This doesn’t work with necroid origin, btw, where only necrophages can be governor class.

Yeah, that's my primary use case here =( I really like the origin and *most* of the gameplay (abduct, conquer, necrophage!), but my god the micro

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Me: I got 2 relic worlds and yet antigravity wont show up god dammit I want my ecumonoplises!

Also me: Had secrets of the first league waiting to be researched

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Now I want an Egalitarian equivalent to the Galactic Imperium that spreads compulsory democracy all through the cosmos.

You can achieve this to a degree through the workers' rights laws, but other empires are free to not comply and I want to smash a 'liberate' button until they do.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jazerus posted:

5%? Maybe having played void dwellers recently skewed my view but I'm pretty sure it's far more than that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Let me repeat a post I made a year ago:

:pray: Dear paradox, I would pay $20 for a dlc that fixes the midgame micro hell. Pop management, constant planet management. :pray:

Them adapting Carrying Capacity is supposed to do this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

5%? Maybe having played void dwellers recently skewed my view but I'm pretty sure it's far more than that.
Yeah, even just the initial 10 pop shuffle per colony will net you huge returns.

For me it's not about the returns though. When I'm one pop away from a new slot and one pop unemployed I've a choice between resettling or just letting it sit there and having to check back to see if I'm allowed build that alloy plant or whatever yet. Even if I could queue them up so they'd build automatically once the slot unlocked that would be less bad. As it is it requires a lot of tedious and unnecessary attention to unimportant detail.

Or you hand it off to sector AI which... oof, we do not see eye to eye on what to build when

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Aethernet posted:

Now I want an Egalitarian equivalent to the Galactic Imperium that spreads compulsory democracy all through the cosmos.

You can achieve this to a degree through the workers' rights laws, but other empires are free to not comply and I want to smash a 'liberate' button until they do.

Isn't that just "pass all the workers rights laws and then all the sanctions". The other empires are free to not comply but they'll take monstrous penalties if they do that, and if they leave the galactic community you can denounce and crush them.

Edit: Actually it's better than that - Castigation denouncements cost 25 Influence and can be proposed by any empire if the 4th Mutual Defense Resolution is passed against an empire that is either in breach of the Galactic Law or is not a member of the Galactic Community

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 19, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if they'll fix the resort world so it's possible to build it up without unemployment.
Maybe when they make science vessels work the project after an anomaly without manually ordering it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gort posted:

Isn't that just "pass all the workers rights laws and then all the sanctions". The other empires are free to not comply but they'll take monstrous penalties if they do that, and if they leave the galactic community you can denounce and crush them.

Edit: Actually it's better than that - Castigation denouncements cost 25 Influence and can be proposed by any empire if the 4th Mutual Defense Resolution is passed against an empire that is either in breach of the Galactic Law or is not a member of the Galactic Community

Don't think I've ever seen the 2nd mutual defense resolution pass, even.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

fashionly snort posted:

Yeah, that's my primary use case here =( I really like the origin and *most* of the gameplay (abduct, conquer, necrophage!), but my god the micro

Go Xenophobe. Necrophages get a special purge that rapidly converts the population to your primary. (Less efficient than the slow way, but infinitely faster.)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Poil posted:

I wonder if they'll fix the resort world so it's possible to build it up without unemployment.
Maybe when they make science vessels work the project after an anomaly without manually ordering it.

Resort worlds, independently of living standards, should have at least the option of "throw consumer goods at them for unity/amenities". Infinite spare entertainer jobs perhaps? Or just having a better jobs/slot option than commercial megaplex. It already gets 50% clerks for free, the resort being 99% clerks is very weird

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phosphine posted:

Resort worlds, independently of living standards, should have at least the option of "throw consumer goods at them for unity/amenities". Infinite spare entertainer jobs perhaps? Or just having a better jobs/slot option than commercial megaplex. It already gets 50% clerks for free, the resort being 99% clerks is very weird
Well if they're changing building unlocks from pops to city districts they're going to have to change something

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

imo could have unemployed non-slaves on resort worlds default to hedonist jobs instead of unemployed.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

Go Xenophobe. Necrophages get a special purge that rapidly converts the population to your primary. (Less efficient than the slow way, but infinitely faster.)

I wish I had known this forever ago, this is super helpful!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wish I had known this forever ago, this is super helpful!

Yeah, it's insanely useful and a shame it's tied to xenophobe because it makes playing a necrophage so much better no matter what your other ethics.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I am incapable of not roleplaying to some extent so I've never played necrophage without xenophobe, because it feels like eating prepatents requires a bit more disregard for their welfare than a neutral empire could muster

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Phosphine posted:

I am incapable of not roleplaying to some extent so I've never played necrophage without xenophobe, because it feels like eating prepatents requires a bit more disregard for their welfare than a neutral empire could muster

While necrophages are typically depicted as being murderous in science fiction, in real life there's many insects that are generally scavengers (either of flora or fauna) rather than predators. Perhaps a neutral species is the intergalactic equivalent of termites or yellowjackets. And even in larger vertebrates, there's many species that prefer necrophagy when possible, such as vultures or hyenas, and only hunt when forced to do so.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Kaal posted:

While necrophages are typically depicted as being murderous in science fiction, in real life there's many insects that are generally scavengers (either of flora or fauna) rather than predators. Perhaps a neutral species is the intergalactic equivalent of termites or yellowjackets. And even in larger vertebrates, there's many species that prefer necrophagy when possible, such as vultures or hyenas, and only hunt when forced to do so.

I mean sure, but this one starts with an enslaved species they murder to grow :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaal posted:

The pak'ma'ra from Babylon 5 come to mind.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

"Necrophage" is kind of a misnomer, as they don't eat the dead, they transform living people into more of them. They're parasites, not scavengers.

Ironically, even Master of Orion III had an attempt at a parasitic race. And while you occasionally got lore-bits about them trying to create artificial hosts to achieve peaceful coexistence, in actual game mechanics they just ate foreign population and replaced them with more of themselves. Not unlike the Stellaris-version!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They're vampires. And since vampires are cool so are they. They just leave the process open so you can come up with your interpretation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, I did make a Necrophage-race just called "vampires" and using space elf portraits. Then I made a parasite race using that ugly flesh-thing-in-a-bowl portrait and made them a criminal Mega Corp for added comedy. Capitalism literally eating people!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Libluini posted:

To be fair, I did make a Necrophage-race just called "vampires" and using space elf portraits. Then I made a parasite race using that ugly flesh-thing-in-a-bowl portrait and made them a criminal Mega Corp for added comedy. Capitalism literally eating people!

The space vampires portraits that are just the human portraits in goth colors is the most important mod I use. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Baul would get nothing, as you already get a huge planet and a relic, but if pressed I would give them whatever Irassia didn't get as something from the Grunur.

wait, you get a huge planet from the baol precursors? this was the first time i ever got this chain but mine was a barren world :(