Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

One day, the mayor of Munchkinland is going to break out of his attic and make us all sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/BrianPallister/status/1362453830454173702?s=20

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's never really going to be an issue cuz I doubt the thing is going to get out in time but how does the federal government administer dosage allocations to Manitoba if it's off doing it's own thing?

Your original allocation - whatever the gently caress you are doing = actual allocation?

Did he put a single ounce of thought into this?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jun 28, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

apatheticman posted:

It's never really going to be an issue cuz I doubt the thing is going to get out in time but how does the federal government administer dosage allocations to Manitoba if it's off doing it's own thing?

Your original allocation - whatever the gently caress you are doing = actual allocation?

the vaccine pallister bought doesnt exist, its completely fake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he's hopeful it will one day exist though

just have to build all those mrna labs from scratch and get them up to production volume in the next couple months.
nbd really

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

infernal machines posted:

just have to build all those mrna labs from scratch and get them up to production volume in the next couple months.
nbd really

apatheticman posted:

DariusLikewise posted:

the vaccine pallister bought doesnt exist, its completely fake

Look at all this anti-western bias from the Laurentian Elites! smdh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
wonder how likely it is that some of that vaccine investment money is going to people/companies that happen to be connected to manitoba politicians

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

Look at all this anti-western bias from the Laurentian Elites! smdh

i have as much faith in the rural alberta advantage as the next man, i'm just saying they've got a lot on their plate here

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

wonder how likely it is that some of that vaccine investment money is going to people/companies that happen to be connected to manitoba politicians

The venn diagram will be a circle

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nbd really

They already got sinks!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
brings me back to my high school days, brewing up mrna vaccines in the ol' chemistry lab

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Same but it was MDMA

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the owner of the alberta vaccine company they are buying from is literally former alberta pc politician mike hughes

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

manitoba is going to give them 7.2 million dollars upfront to produce a vaccine that hasnt started human trials and wont be approved this year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, they will be building all their own manufacturing labs, apparently

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Your perfidious lily livered beanpole of a premier is actually strong and tough for making 28 Days Later a reality

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know the answer is actually "To funnel as much government money into the pockets of his friends", but why in hell is Pallister doing this? It would be one thing if he was doing this a year or even 6 months ago, before vaccines that were proven to work were actually things, but this is just infuriating. I know he gives zero fucks and probably already has his ticket to Costa Rica for his final "gently caress you" flight to his summer home, but what the hell?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Randalor posted:

I know the answer is actually "To funnel as much government money into the pockets of his friends", but why in hell is Pallister doing this? It would be one thing if he was doing this a year or even 6 months ago, before vaccines that were proven to work were actually things, but this is just infuriating. I know he gives zero fucks and probably already has his ticket to Costa Rica for his final "gently caress you" flight to his summer home, but what the hell?

It's a performative gently caress you to Trudeau to make the federal Liberals look weak, meanwhile this totally real vaccine will take even longer to get out than whatever supply the feds do end up securing- you best pray he doesn't tell them to gently caress off when there IS real vaccine available.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

blatman posted:

alberta essential workers might be getting some weed money:
https://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/alberta-workers-covid-kenney-copping/wcm/d809c554-067e-4b8e-bf37-333d299ed3b3

it isn't enough to justify kenney being a worthless hack but at least it's something, here's the official alberta government webzone https://www.alberta.ca/critical-worker-benefit.aspx and here's eligibility for private sector:

what worries me about this is your employer has to apply for you, and employers are all dogshit

Lol liquor and cannibis store employees are exempt.

gently caress me I guess.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

the owner of the alberta vaccine company they are buying from is literally former alberta pc politician mike hughes

hahaha, i didn't think it'd be that obvious but hey

that said i can't really make too much fun of that considering i'm in quebec and oh boy do we have our own "public-private partnerships"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's a performative gently caress you to Trudeau to make the federal Liberals look weak, meanwhile this totally real vaccine will take even longer to get out than whatever supply the feds do end up securing- you best pray he doesn't tell them to gently caress off when there IS real vaccine available.

the federal vaccines will be shipped to this company who will resell it to Manitoba

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DariusLikewise posted:

Ken Hughes, please. Fucker used to run Alberta Health Services so I guess was kind of my boss?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

While all the cynical takes are likely correct, it's not a bad thing to try to bring vaccine production capabilities back to Canada.

Politically by moving first they can put the squeeze on any federal plans to promote vaccine production facilities. Either the feds support their plans or they set up a competing plan in Ontario or Quebec -- and either move boosts the local provincial conservatives. The cons get to claim to be national leaders in biotech, or they have another example of the federal liberals not caring about western canada.

Their intentions may not be pure, but the prairie provinces desperately need to diversify their economies, so I for one hope they manage to make it work. I hope it works really well and conservative pride in their splendid vaccine production facilities help reduce anti-vax sentiment on the right.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

What the feds finally did with plans to manufacture Novavax in Quebec is about the best scenario for Canada, even though the decision should have been made much much earlier when pharma was proposing the same plan at the outset of covid.

The Alberta/Manitoba home-grown vaccine is entirely grift and unfeasible. You can't just jam some smart people in a lab and synthesize a vaccine overnight, and there's many good reasons why it doesn't make any sense in Canada. It will be many years before anything useful would possibly come out of this asinine plan, and it completely ignores the limiting factor that is hitting every country: supply of vaccine doses.

Why are vaccines in such low supply? It's not a lack of factories or skilled labor. It's not a lack of formularies either, there's got to be over a dozen good candidates now.

No, the problem is a sharp lack of materials. The vials, which require very tough and sterile glass. The saline medium the actual vaccine is suspended in, which is 99% of the fluid that gets injected into your arm. The caps, which must ensure a very consistent seal and withstand the same constrains as the glass. The seals, very specialized medical grade rubberized plastic that must meet all those constraints and easily pierceable and resealable for multiple doses.

All those materials are only manufactured in a few places on the planet, you can count on one hand how many. Why? Not profitable during non-pandemic times so only a handful of companies cornered the market to produce these materials en masse that they can make money and supply everyone. Lot of said companies cornered those markets with state funding and assistance in beneficial trade deals to crush competition. So now we're all at the mercy of a limited supply of materials because society is structurally built to accommodate this kind of system.

Attempting to do a WW2'esque restructure of manufacturing is impossible in a neo-liberal mindset, because the companies that manufacture those materials will not share the tooling skill or techniques needed to replicate the same material spec. Vaccines aren't useful if the bottles burst or the seals break or the caps come off or the medium freezes solid in the extreme cold storage necessary.

Bit of a rant, but Canada is best to simply buy in small bulk and wait for the shipments. Even when we get Novavax manufactured here, we won't be able to make much due to said material shortages. Pallister and those other fucks are just feeding lies to their base as usual while getting tacit approval for another form of grift.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah but they're hitting all the right notes politically which is their only objective, they still would prefer the people die. Another "brilliant" play to be rewarded at election time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Isizzlehorn posted:

Bit of a rant, but Canada is best to simply buy in small bulk and wait for the shipments. Even when we get Novavax manufactured here, we won't be able to make much due to said material shortages. Pallister and those other fucks are just feeding lies to their base as usual while getting tacit approval for another form of grift.

i have zero faith in american pharmaceutical companies or america in general. making vaccines in canada is a great idea, if we make too much vaccine we can ship it to other countries that are being under served by the american companies.

we need to be making as much vaccine as possible world wide. this pandemic isnt going to be over until everyone on earth is vaccinated.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol this owns

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-housing-landlords-my-old-apartment-1.5916904

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

quote:

They said many people don't understand the costs they face to maintain their buildings — labour, taxes and property costs have all gone up.

Albert Cohen owns between 20 and 30 rental units on P.E.I. including apartments, townhouses and single-family homes.

:qq:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it does, but does PEI rent control remain across tenants?

in ontario the rent can be set arbitrarily for a new tenant, it just can only increase by the set amount once the tenancy begins. hence the whole "renoviction" thing

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

in ontario the rent can be set arbitrarily for a new tenant, it just can only increase by the set amount once the tenancy begins. hence the whole "renoviction" thing

quote:

Lanthier said she believes it's a big problem on the Island. Many people may not realize that even if tenants change, the rent can only increase the amount set by the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission (IRAC).

For 2021, landlords can raise the rent one per cent.

Seems like a cool system without any teeth.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

While all the cynical takes are likely correct, it's not a bad thing to try to bring vaccine production capabilities back to Canada.

Politically by moving first they can put the squeeze on any federal plans to promote vaccine production facilities. Either the feds support their plans or they set up a competing plan in Ontario or Quebec -- and either move boosts the local provincial conservatives. The cons get to claim to be national leaders in biotech, or they have another example of the federal liberals not caring about western canada.

Their intentions may not be pure, but the prairie provinces desperately need to diversify their economies, so I for one hope they manage to make it work. I hope it works really well and conservative pride in their splendid vaccine production facilities help reduce anti-vax sentiment on the right.

pallisters deal does poo poo to bring production to canada, hes shovelling money on his friends to try and research a vaccine that hasnt hit human trials yet. if our end goal was vaccine production we could have started something at the beginning of this pandemic not a loving year into it. all we are doing right now is playing political pool because the cons and libs are convinced we are headed for a fall federal election.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

in ontario the rent can be set arbitrarily for a new tenant, it just can only increase by the set amount once the tenancy begins. hence the whole "renoviction" thin

Yes. The article explains it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apatheticman posted:

Seems like a cool system without any teeth.

That makes sense then, and also why enforcement is nonexistent.

Saalkin posted:

Yes. The article explains it.

I skimmed it but missed that line about IRAC guidelines applying between tenants

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
lmao imagine voting right now

what loving for

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

pallisters deal does poo poo to bring production to canada, hes shovelling money on his friends to try and research a vaccine that hasnt hit human trials yet. if our end goal was vaccine production we could have started something at the beginning of this pandemic not a loving year into it. all we are doing right now is playing political pool because the cons and libs are convinced we are headed for a fall federal election.

like the university of manitoba has two vaccines that are ready to head to clinical trials but we are throwing money specifically at a company owned by pallisters buddy? a company that literally just bought a lab because previously it was being run out of the dudes house?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

quote:

Cohen said it is important for the government to find a balance so that rents are reasonable for both tenants and property owners.

"Because if the property owners can't charge enough rent, then, you know, they're not going to come in and supply rental housing to the market," Cohen said.

"Then there's going to be even fewer rental houses or rental apartments available to people which could have, you know, the opposite effect of what the regulators want."

What are they going to do, pick up their condos and go home?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
you know what this pandemic needs is some conservative austerity. that's what the people are obviously clamoring for at this exact moment in time. I am paid to read into these situations and give input that will be the basis for major decisions.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fisting by many posted:

What are they going to do, pick up their condos and go home?

we just introduced a vacant property tax in toronto, to discourage empty "investment" properties. naturally, TREB busted out that exact same line about how this would discourage landlords and affect the rental market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

we just introduced a vacant property tax in toronto, to discourage empty "investment" properties. naturally, TREB busted out that exact same line about how this would discourage landlords and affect the rental market.

oh no spraying DDT is discouraging the mosquitos! :ohdear: