Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It's nuts that they would put the system on a Traditional. I guess it does add some weight to it. :rimshot:

It's a textbook case of letting Engineers design a user interface. They probably had those same controls on a Hammond project box while they were prototyping. The whole thing could have been salvaged if they bothered to call down the javascript web guy upstairs to get his input on the interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

Gibson's insistence on these makes a little more sense when you think about Henry J's desire to be a boomer lifestyle brand. This level of "as seen on TV!" fiddly nonsense is a perfect boomer bait.

It also isn't even that bad of an idea, they just completely hosed the user interface and ended up making it miserable rather than helpful

Yea you’re totally right on both counts. Rest in piss Hanky J.

former glory posted:

It's nuts that they would put the system on a Traditional. I guess it does add some weight to it. :rimshot:

It's a textbook case of letting Engineers design a user interface. They probably had those same controls on a Hammond project box while they were prototyping. The whole thing could have been salvaged if they bothered to call down the javascript web guy upstairs to get his input on the interface.

Right. “We just need a basic/crude UI in order to develop the technology. Whoops we forgot to go back and develop the UI. To market, drat the torpedoes!

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 17, 2021

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

former glory posted:

Perfect, a Les Paul with MORE neck dive.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chalupa Joe posted:

Perfect, a Les Paul with MORE neck dive.

Les Paul’s aren’t the ones known to dive that’d be the svelte SG. Please update this not-bad joke accordingly. Heh

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Les Paul’s aren’t the ones known to dive that’d be the svelte SG. Please update this not-bad joke accordingly. Heh
I had an SG with the robotuners for a while. Was kinda fun for doing one-man Sonic Youth since it held a few different tunings, had to use a massive bass strap to keep the neck from diving or sliding around. Sold it after I got bored with it, and wasn't crazy enough about the burstbucker pickups to keep it, and not crazy enough about the rest of it to replace the pickups.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Robotuners would make a lot more sense in a guitar with the tuners in the body, headless style. The weight would be less annoying and there'd be zero incentive to make them small like regular heads.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Didn't Gibson send out replacement tuners and nuts for people that complained enough? I swear that was a thing.

Which is very Gibson. "This is the way we do things! (Unless you're a customer we don't want to lose)"

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Rip rupert Neve. I did get to talk to Steve vai once. Incredibly nice guy compared to a lot of musicians.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

With all the people who have received a knighthood over the years, you think Neve would've. :-/

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
https://i.imgur.com/AeCYOwZ.mp4

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

oh thats too bad about Neve, RIP

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Of all the generally inoffensive youtube guitar men, this is the one that I find annoying and I'm not even sure why. I'm sure he's a lovely dude.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Huxley posted:

Of all the generally inoffensive youtube guitar men, this is the one that I find annoying and I'm not even sure why. I'm sure he's a lovely dude.

He has a whiff of fratboy about him. But afaik he went to berklee so who's to say?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Huxley posted:

I have nothing against the guy personally but I will not pass up a chance to link to a song from his original EP that he released last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32snLUJyRuk

It sounds like he was trying to cover the Home Depot theme song, haha.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My hot take is that you should just write instrumental music if you have literally nothing interesting to say with your lyrics. That song's like he made refrigerator poetry out of the 100 most-used rock lyrics.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

My hot take is that you should just write instrumental music if you have literally nothing interesting to say with your lyrics. That song's like he made refrigerator poetry out of the 100 most-used rock lyrics.

I unironically want to home-make a shoegazey type thing called "Dinner for 5" where all the lyrics are ingredients and recipes distorted past the point of being able to understand them, just to save me having to write something profound.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I want to make angry political music but also have no idea how to write lyrics so I figured I'd just make a grindcore album so I could yell "THE RENT IS TOO drat HIGH" in an incomprehensible belch-voice for 30 seconds and call it done.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The ingredient list to homemade sandwich bread and yelling about the rent are really two fronts of the same war, IMO.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I think that guy gets lumped into the same group as other gimmicky types in the algo, like Jared Dines and the Terry Tenpenny (???) guy who plays guitars with a million strings, or the other guy who plays slayer on a lute or whatever. "Can I shove this guitar sideways up my own rear end?????" (you can see the thumbnail). It must be tuned to recommend them when people are new to the instrument, because I used to get them and haven't seen one in the recs in a long time.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

former glory posted:

Dave got a Les Paul with robo tuners on the bench, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nv1oqsuYUs

I haven't even watched it, but it must be a disaster. My money is on him breaking at least one string.

Oh Henry J. I hated him, but part of me misses him because now Gibson seems to be properly run by non-cokefiends so we're not going to get the constant laugh parade that was Gibson of the last 30 years or so. If it was Henry's idea, it was probably wackadoo bullshit. I kinda want a Firebird X just for pure comedic value. What a piece of poo poo.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Lester Shy posted:

They gave him way too many "Runnin" magnets in that set but the crazy bastard took that challenge and nailed it.

That's the most flaccid group "....YEAH!"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lester Shy posted:

My hot take is that you should just write instrumental music if you have literally nothing interesting to say with your lyrics.

At least sing about the classics like the devil, nuclear war, or Margaret Thatcher/Ronald Reagan

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Huxley posted:

I unironically want to home-make a shoegazey type thing called "Dinner for 5" where all the lyrics are ingredients and recipes distorted past the point of being able to understand them, just to save me having to write something profound.

Tool did it. I'm not sure it's shoegaze, but I'm pretty sure they have a lot of pedals to stare at.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

former glory posted:

I think that guy gets lumped into the same group as other gimmicky types in the algo, like Jared Dines and the Terry Tenpenny (???) guy who plays guitars with a million strings, or the other guy who plays slayer on a lute or whatever. "Can I shove this guitar sideways up my own rear end?????" (you can see the thumbnail). It must be tuned to recommend them when people are new to the instrument, because I used to get them and haven't seen one in the recs in a long time.

Steve Terreberry? I noped out of watching him when I learned he came down a little too hard on Richard Benson. I think of Steve as the Jim Carrey of guitars and all that implies.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BDA posted:

I want to make angry political music but also have no idea how to write lyrics so I figured I'd just make a grindcore album so I could yell "THE RENT IS TOO drat HIGH" in an incomprehensible belch-voice for 30 seconds and call it done.

Literally just scream what you feel. If you need inspiration listen to this over and over again until it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWSr4NlPqEc

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

homewrecker posted:

I have nothing against the guy personally but I will not pass up a chance to link to a song from his original EP that he released last year:

It’s impressive how these deftly lyrics avoid any drama or tension. Every line is a synonym for “something routine and unexceptional is happening” - heart is pumping blood, legs are moving, thoughts are happening in brain etc

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 19, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

homewrecker posted:

Ok so I've never released an original song into the wild so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But this guy is a professional YouTube guitar player, a self proclaimed expert on guitar gear and tone.

That song has like the least inspiring, most generic "rock" guitar tracking I've ever heard. Also, why are the guy's vocals like 8 times louder than everything else in the mix? Was the song mixed by the same people who make karaoke music?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 19, 2021

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Normally musician youtube is friendly, but the comments in there are murdering him. I feel embarrassed for him, but that thing sounds like 3 guys who had to pull a song together in 5 mins.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think that's what happens when you have no point of view and no real passion for anything other than the technical aspects of constructing a facsimile of rock and roll. Even a song screaming about how you have nothing to say is more gripping.

edit: I just imagine Damon Edge and Helios Creed from Chrome kicking in the door to this place and taking over all sneers and spit and absolutely zero chops and murdering these dweebs and it's making me giggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=530gC6BztnA

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 19, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I know what happened. He's in Nashville.

That's how a huge number of studios mix music there. I've heard other amateur mixes from bands who record in Nashville studios and a lot of them sound like that. Mixed like vocals are the only thing anybody will care about, tailor-made for radio, inoffensive and easily digestible as possible. Bland, low energy, bored. I knew I recognized that "mix the vocals literally 3 times louder than everything else, and also keep them dry as hell" bullshit. I bet they had some country music guy recording them who has never heard anything heavier than Brad Paisley and didn't know what to do with a group who wanted to sound like anything resembling rock.

There are good producers in Nashville who can make rock and metal sound great but clearly this guy didn't find them. Of course this doesn't explain the uninspired lyrics that sound like they were written at gunpoint, but it might help explain the general sound of the recording.

edit:

former glory posted:

Normally musician youtube is friendly, but the comments in there are murdering him. I feel embarrassed for him, but that thing sounds like 3 guys who had to pull a song together in 5 mins.
Wow, I checked the comments and yeah... oof. I'm kind of shocked they were never disabled actually.

edit 2:
So I just heard the guitar solo. I can't believe how bad it is. There is not one single satisfying note in it.
This guy has other videos of himself noodling around that are way more inspired than that nonsense. I wonder what the hell happened at that studio, lol.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 23, 2021

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Wow, Have Heart and the comments section are simply amazing. Out of morbid curiosity I watched a more recent video of his, about how you can use unconventional types of guitars for different genres, and he literally talks about how beginner to intermediate guitarists end up sounding generic when they use a tele for country and so on. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I just imagine Damon Edge and Helios Creed from Chrome kicking in the door to this place and taking over all sneers and spit and absolutely zero chops and murdering these dweebs and it's making me giggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=530gC6BztnA

:hmmyes:

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I don't like that guys videos and I don't like that specific song and I generally just don't like people that play PRS (sorry, Santana excluded). But his stank face during the solo was the most human I've ever seen of the little I've watched and it looked like he was having fun playing the guitar, so good on him.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I played a friend's Hamer that's basically a PRS type thing and it feels so wonderful that I'm becoming concerned.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

The first 50-100 comments are very negative. Everything after that is just positive. It's almost like YouTube has some kind of algorithm going on that boosts sensationalism...

polynominal-c fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 19, 2021

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I played a friend's Hamer that's basically a PRS type thing and it feels so wonderful that I'm becoming concerned.

I had a Korean Hamer double cut and a PRS SE at the same time, and the Hamer was better in every way except resale value.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

I had a Korean Hamer double cut and a PRS SE at the same time, and the Hamer was better in every way except resale value.

The very same. The resale on these is criminally depressed. Which means I must have one or three. I can't believe how "sweet" the stock pickups sound.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

GreatGreen posted:

Ok so I've never released an original song into the wild so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But this guy is a professional YouTube guitar player, a self proclaimed expert on guitar gear and tone.

That song has like the least inspiring, most generic "rock" guitar tracking I've ever heard. Also, why are the guy's vocals like 8 times louder than everything else in the mix? Was the song mixed by the same people who make karaoke music?

Thought I was in the smashing pumpkins thread for a minute here.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a Hamer slammer short scale bass it's the size and body style of a double cut Les Paul.
It's great for playing "lead bass" on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
My first guitar, in like 98?, was a SLAMMER by Hamer LP-style double cut and it was a lot of fun. I sold it right before the plague hit .