Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The 2001 draft class of quarterbacks is certainly interesting in retrospect.

Only one QB drafted in the first round (Vick). Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round and every UGA fan laughed their rear end off when the Cowboys picked Quincy Carter because of all the massive red flags about everything with him. Carter turned out to be not the worst QB taken, a testament to just how bad this class was.

I was so mad when we passed on Vick to take some RB from a mid major I'd never heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

a neat cape posted:

This is where I am with Herbert too.

No one can take away his rookie year tho

I think Herbert has more fundamentals than Allen does. More importantly, he doesn't have the idiot eyes

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

If only he had kept that streak going.

I get triggered just seeing his name in print

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Nodoze posted:

I think Herbert has more fundamentals than Allen does. More importantly, he doesn't have the idiot eyes

He's got the idiot hair

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

is 2013 considered the gold standard for “no qb talent” drafts

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's sort of the standard for no talent drafts. Off the top of my head Hopkins was the only 1st rounder worth a poo poo.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's sort of the standard for no talent drafts. Off the top of my head Hopkins was the only 1st rounder worth a poo poo.

Lane Johnson is pretty good, as are Eric Reid and Travis Frederick (RIP). Later in the draft you find Ertz, Leveon Bell, Kelce, Honey Badger, Keenan Allen (3rd!!). A few others but that's pretty much it actually. So if you were drafting OL you did ok unless you bit on Eric Fisher or Joeckel but iirc they both had legitimate cases as to why they'd be studs forever.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

pasaluki posted:

He's got the idiot hair

Only when he cut it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, looking it over it's not as bare as I remember. Lots of guys who are solids contributors, plenty who have had long productive careers, and even some household names. Just a total lack of star power at the top. As far as Baltimore goes I knew Matt Elam would suck day one. However I also "knew" Arthur Brown was the perfect modern middle linebacker.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nodoze posted:

Only when he cut it

He said he's growing it back!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

a neat cape posted:

He said he's growing it back!

Yeah, best offseason news so far

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The 2001 draft class of quarterbacks is certainly interesting in retrospect.

Only one QB drafted in the first round (Vick). Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round and every UGA fan laughed their rear end off when the Cowboys picked Quincy Carter because of all the massive red flags about everything with him. Carter turned out to be not the worst QB taken, a testament to just how bad this class was.

There were even moments where people thought Carter might be a decent pro.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I get triggered just seeing his name in print

As far as I know Cassel is a decent guy and it's a hell of a thing he ever had an NFL career, but :same:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think one of the reasons the 13 draft stands out so much as being god-awful is because the 11 and 12 drafts were so good.

outside the quarterback position you can make a pretty compelling argument 2011 was the best draft class of all time.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

a neat cape posted:

How were EJ Manuel and JP Losman 1st rounders
There seems to be a common thread there...:shepicide:

Losman was a really athletic player who moved well and had an absolute cannon, but his footwork and throwing motion were utter poo poo and his pocket awareness was next-level bad. I'll never forget one example in particular: the Bills were playing the Jets, were up 4, with ~2 minutes left, and Losman takes the snap and rolls out lazily to the right, with an unblocked Jets defender bearing down on him from the left edge. Losman's literally just standing there, double-clutching the ball, dancing, and then he gets annihilated from behind, fumbles, and the Jets recover and return it for a TD for the win.
Apparently, he was also kind of a poo poo head and seemed to struggle processing defenses. Jameis Winston level ball security issues on top of everything else.

Manuel was a reach in a weak QB class, and selected mostly on the basis that he looked like a franchise QB: he was tall, he could throw the ball hard, etc. etc. He seemed like a genuinely good guy who was trying hard, but his processing speed was glacial and he would crumble under pressure. Turfing passes and poo poo. Then he would get frustrated and play even worse. He would, on occasion, look really good, like in the second half of the Jaguars game in London, but he played so horribly in the 1st half he was almost benched for Josh Johnson, who had been on the team for a few days at that point. That 1st half was some Brian Brohm level poo poo.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Eifert Posting posted:

I think one of the reasons the 13 draft stands out so much as being god-awful is because the 11 and 12 drafts were so good.

outside the quarterback position you can make a pretty compelling argument 2011 was the best draft class of all time.

Then make the case. Prove it! Why was the 2011 draft class the best of all time?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ponder wasn't a reach. The Vikings just hoped his shoulder would heal and he would get his arm strength back. It never did so now we think of him as a noodle armed reach.

He would have been good if not for the injury.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MrLogan posted:

Ponder wasn't a reach. The Vikings just hoped his shoulder would heal and he would get his arm strength back. It never did so now we think of him as a noodle armed reach.

He would have been good if not for the injury.

No he wouldn't have

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Metapod posted:

No he wouldn't have

I know you love Jake Locker, but I think Ponder was better.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Then make the case. Prove it! Why was the 2011 draft class the best of all time?

So at QB you just have Cam Newton, Eh, I guess not the best but when he inevitably breaks you have &e as a backup.

Even Cam may have a hard time breaking because your offensive line has Tyron Smith and Nate Solder at tackle, and some combination of Clint Boling, Rodney Hudson, Jason Kelce and Mike Pouncey at interior O-line. Those are the weakest aspects of the team.

At WR you just have some nerds named AJ Green, Julio Jones outside and Randall Cobb in the slot. You have Vincent Brown and Dwayn Harris (who can return your kicks if you don't want to risk Patrick Peterson) for depth.

At tight end you're making due with Kyle Rudolph Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron

You have Mark Ingram and Demarco Murray at HB

Offense is good, not great, right? OK at Defense you have:

Cameron Heyward and Jurrelll Casey inside, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Heyward and Robert Quinn outside. Just FYI you cut 4 or 5 pro-bowlers.

Your linebackers include Von Miller, Aldon Smith and Justin Houston. If you wanted to have someone who isn't a pass rusher you get a KJ Wright, Malcolm Smith or Mason Foster.

I'm not sure anyone's ever actually getting a pass off with that pass rush, but if they did you'd have Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman outside, Jimmy Smith regulated to slot corner, Byron Maxwell for depth.

Safety admittedly is weak, but look at that pass rush. Who's ever getting a ball more than 5 yards downfield? Iunno, Rahim Moore.

I guess it's more appropriate to say it's DEFINITELY the best draft ever for pass rushers, after going through it. It is a little weak at interior O-line and DB outside a couple stand outs.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It would have been pretty cool if Michael Vick was drafted nowadays when offenses are made for guys like him and not back then when loving Jim Mora Jr. wanted Vick to run a West Coast offense

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I'll never forget one example in particular: the Bills were playing the Jets, were up 4, with ~2 minutes left, and Losman takes the snap and rolls out lazily to the right, with an unblocked Jets defender bearing down on him from the left edge. Losman's literally just standing there, double-clutching the ball, dancing, and then he gets annihilated from behind, fumbles, and the Jets recover and return it for a TD for the win.

Lance that exact poo poo right there was my lowest point as a Bills fan. Up until that point I had made it but something about that just owned me so hard. I still to this day have no idea what he was even trying to do, and I wish JP Losman was never born.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

pasaluki posted:

Lance that exact poo poo right there was my lowest point as a Bills fan. Up until that point I had made it but something about that just owned me so hard. I still to this day have no idea what he was even trying to do, and I wish JP Losman was never born.
Dude, I get it man. We all loving knew what was going to happen the minute that cursed play began. It was as inevitable as death itself. The only people who didn't see it coming were J.P. Losman and Dick Jauron.
I still can't believe we have a quarterback who doesn't suck.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Still feel like for me the McKelvin fumble against the Patriots was the defining play of that wicked ugly uniformed era, but woof, this is a drat fine candidate.

https://youtu.be/vySGAGUe3zg

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MrLogan posted:

I know you love Jake Locker, but I think Ponder was better.

ponder always had a noodle arm, shoulder or no

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ponder wasn’t as big a reach as Manuel but he was never going to be a good NFL QB.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The thing about most QBs who aren't #1s is that usually they have glaring faults that mean they'll never play in the NFL. There's been 118 QBs drafted in the last ten years, not counting UDFA, and 10-15 teams need QBs or could use upgrades this year. Turnover rate for the position is absolutely nuts.

Gut says to treat QBs like anyone who isn't Lawrence level is a coin flip at best on being good. Obviously the EJ Manuels and Christian Ponders of the world are going to bust, but NFL GMs still take that low chance that the guy might turn into something good to great because the competition is that much worse.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I remember Ej having one good game. To beat the panthers.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I know it's difficult because they have one more year of games to start and develop or crash and burn, but how good or bad is the next class of QBs? Say, how Sam Howell would compare to the non-Lawrence QBs in this draft?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know it's difficult because they have one more year of games to start and develop or crash and burn, but how good or bad is the next class of QBs? Say, how Sam Howell would compare to the non-Lawrence QBs in this draft?

I mean, it's a year out after a year of very little college football, but generally it's thought to be much weaker.

Obviously, grain of salt as there's a whole season for people to Burrow, but at this stage last year everyone was drooling over Fields and Lawrence already

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thinking the Niners should grab a WR or DB, is Surtain II likely to be there at 12th?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 20, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

howell is really good; he’d probably be in the convo with fields and wilson for the 2nd pick

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

tarbrush posted:

I mean, it's a year out after a year of very little college football, but generally it's thought to be much weaker.

Howie Roseman, on why he traded up for Wentz: "The 2017 QB class isn't very good"

People say next year's class sucks every year

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Howie Roseman, on why he traded up for Wentz: "The 2017 QB class isn't very good"

People say next year's class sucks every year

Yeah. But it's almost certainly not going to be 3 qbs in the first three picks good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. But it's almost certainly not going to be 3 qbs in the first three picks good.

it probably will be close, quarterback is the only position that matters and teams are desperate for them so quarterbacks will continue to climb. it's almost impossible to imagine the number one pick not being a quarterback in the future.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

ngl I’m upset that the Eagles are likely taking a QB here. I realize it’s the best choice and all, but the idea of Smith or Chase or even Waddle being on my team had me embarrassingly excited. We haven’t had a truly good wideout on the roster since Maclin.

It’s generally believed that Fields goes to the jets, right? That would leave Lance and Wilson. Lance is the comedy option due to Wentz having just left.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Declan MacManus posted:

howell is really good; he’d probably be in the convo with fields and wilson for the 2nd pick

Yeah, fields and Wilson would ordinarily be #1 caliber guys in good-average QB years.

Howell looks like he’s going to be a first rounder but there will be questions about that offense’s complexity given how much of it looks like a middle ground between the Briles tree and what Ole Miss was doing under late freeze, but he’s got an NFL arm from a velocity and air standpoint with the main questions being how choppy and weird his feet get and how deep into a progression he can get. I love what I’ve seen of his ball flight and accuracy though—reminds me a lot of Baker coming out in the way he picks his spots.

The real question next year to me is Slovis. I think he’s got a bigger arm and more complicated offense with how Harrell runs his offenses, but the injury concerns and fact that he looks less accurate than Howell with better talent around him makes that interesting.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It’s generally believed that Fields goes to the jets, right? That would leave Lance and Wilson. Lance is the comedy option due to Wentz having just left.

There’s been a lot of chatter about Wilson being QB2 and he’s consistently being mocked to the Jets. I dunno if I buy that though. Joe Douglas in his only draft has gone for ceiling and athleticism with his premium picks and I think he’ll probably favor Fields.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

There’s been a lot of chatter about Wilson being QB2 and he’s consistently being mocked to the Jets. I dunno if I buy that though. Joe Douglas in his only draft has gone for ceiling and athleticism with his premium picks and I think he’ll probably favor Fields.

i mean wilson has a really high ceiling because he’s got a big ole fuckin howitzer for an arm, probably the most raw arm strength of anyone in this class not named trevor lawrence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He also has off-platform throws so of course he's the next Mahomes