Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I'd be surprised if a week+ without power and multiple preventable deaths didnt piss off a pretty sizeable portion of Texans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I'd be surprised if a week+ without power and multiple preventable deaths didnt piss off a pretty sizeable portion of Texans.

Is it enough to overcome this, though?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Clearly people aren't mad enough or organizing enough

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Jesus Christ you’re all putting words in my mouth.

The fact that nobody, not even the capable, do anything to make anything better is loving frustrsting. I beat this drum a while ago before this happened. It’s not specific to this, this is just the latest dumb poo poo. People should be protesting for better loving representation in general. At some point if we are going to just roll over and let these lovely loving people do whatever they want with no pushback, then apathy has to get some of the blame.

There’s zero consequences for anything for these people. poo poo is just getting worse.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

mlmp08 posted:

I like how cole’s argument went from just “gently caress Texas” to backing it up to a very vague call for protests at some point in the future.

Hes probably extremely frustrated since this was entirely preventable and taking it out in the wrong way.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I get the temptation to blame them for their own mess- I really do. But the people who will reap are already - and have been- reaping it, because they were already down. This is just beating them while they are down.

It pisses me off for a variety of reasons, one of them being that we have resources for this. I know it isn't as simple as "Press Button, Deploy Forces" but come the gently caress on. (Yes, I know about the restrictions of using forces in the US. I'm just disgusted that I've seen what the military is capable of.)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boop the snoot posted:

None of these problems are problems we didn’t know about.

none of them

You’re not going to change my mind. People should be protesting this. People should have been protesting a LOT of poo poo for a while now. Agree to disagree.

Because you are angry and trying to win an argument, you are attempting to reframe the point of contention to be that "people should have been and should be protesting this". But the contention people have with you is the "gently caress them, this is their own fault" portion and, this associated smugness of people who state this from a position as if they have taken effective and meaningful action to avoid situations like this.

Your point that people need to demand political action, later, is not where issue is being taken and it's dishonest to imply otherwise.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

boop the snoot posted:

The words your are using read that way, even if they aren't what you mean. You are pissed off and its making you communicate poorly.

boop the snoot posted:

There’s zero consequences for anything for these people. poo poo is just getting worse.

I don't disagree with you, and I mostly hope my family gets the gently caress out of there. It would be nice if the people had a voice in Texas, but your voice there is determined by your pocketbook.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bulletsponge13 posted:

I get the temptation to blame them for their own mess- I really do. But the people who will reap are already - and have been- reaping it, because they were already down. This is just beating them while they are down.

It pisses me off for a variety of reasons, one of them being that we have resources for this. I know it isn't as simple as "Press Button, Deploy Forces" but come the gently caress on. (Yes, I know about the restrictions of using forces in the US. I'm just disgusted that I've seen what the military is capable of.)

Texas has a low tax, low regulatio paradigm. This leads to less money to spend on services and I'm curious how much the lack of resources and local services is hindering national response. Biden and FEMA have already made federal resources available but local response has to be part of it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
At the end of the day, if I had to peg it all down,
my ultimate beef is with the power of corporations. They are responsible for this, as well as 90% of the problems we have in the world. If I had to be less “vague” about a call to action then I would say that’s what people need to be protesting against.

This has all been a rant about peoples’ lack of action about corporations, the people who run them, and how they are allowed to railroad us whenever they want, all in the name of profit.

I’m going to take a break. I’m obviously out of patience for diplomacy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

The fact that nobody, not even the capable, do anything to make anything better is loving frustrsting. I beat this drum a while ago before this happened. It’s not specific to this, this is just the latest dumb poo poo. People should be protesting for better loving representation in general. At some point if we are going to just roll over and let these lovely loving people do whatever they want with no pushback, then apathy has to get some of the blame.

It’s because you have not sufficiently motivated society to change the way you want it changed.

Now contemplate your failure as an activist and communicator. Why did you let this happen? Why haven’t you fixed it?

You see how what I wrote above is just being an rear end in a top hat and doesn’t motivate collaboration? You cannot just mock a bunch of people suffering and say they deserve it and then wonder why it’s not engendering, dare I say it, camaraderie.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seems like the margins were pretty close even with all that wonderful districting.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I am still trying to figure out why the NG wasn't activated and prestaged for this.

We were told to prepare. We were warned about potential outages. (allegedly) ERCOT stressed how dire the situation was. From what we were told by local news/government was to prepare for 2-3 days of this poo poo at MOST.

It really feels like since the community response to Harvey was so large, the state decided to rely on that instead of actually, you know, doing their jobs. Small level, extremely local efforts are the ONLY reason there aren't more dead people.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
If you call in the guard you have to pay them. Don't have to pay anyone to community organize. Hell, you don't have to do anything if your plan is "they'll figure it out on their own."

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Seems like the margins were pretty close even with all that wonderful districting.

Some one earlier posted a graphic of how many "native" Texans vote dem v how many "transplants" vote rep. The gap is still narrowing, but it's taking time for left leaning voters to catch up. From my anecdotal evidence, the midterm elections might see most incumbents voted out.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

orange juche posted:

Maybe it's because all the people I've met from texas aren't actually from texas and are California/NY carpetbaggers trumpeting it as a hyperconservative paradise but the folks I've met who claim to be from texas have been loving awful people, full throated MAGAts and "Patriots". It's really loving hard to disassociate that from my thinking process.

Beto won native Texans. Cruz won heavily among transplants. Read into that what you will. I am a transplant myself and think the distinction isn't super meaningful but there you go.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Top left is Dan Crenshaw and represents the vast expanses of McMansions that run from the north end of Katy all the way around the beltway to Kingwood.

It's cool though, just protest

https://twitter.com/JayRJordan/status/1362547051557318656?s=20

no not like that

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

It really feels like since the community response to Harvey was so large, the state decided to rely on that instead of actually, you know, doing their jobs. Small level, extremely local efforts are the ONLY reason there aren't more dead people.

Back when I lived in Dallas I was constantly hearing people preach how charity should be on the individual level, and community should be handling stuff like this, so that tracks.

This was by the same people complaining how broke they were with their pickup so they couldn't afford the big generator.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1362828754804965382?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Space picture break, this thread has some serious NASA flexes:

https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1362826212104634380

https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1362829347493728257

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

So many fellow citizens are suffering. They need to be aided and I'm disappointed at the level of the federal response.

That said, I'm not sure how a democratic system of government can function without engaged citizens that are responsible for their own governance, regardless of outcome. The mode where some other (the elites, the government, the rich) are blamed for problems (even when partially or substantially true) doesn't end up in a place where citizens are actually empowered. A substantial majority of the citizens of Texas have been able to participate in their own governance over the time period where the decisions leading up to the current crisis were made and as soon as the crisis is over it will be within their power to fix the problem. Denying the former results in the failure of the latter.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Is this whole thing affecting military bases in the area, too? I know it's a weird thing to focus on, but the thought of how much it'd suck to be in BMT with no water or electricity briefly came up.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Where is the martian face?!?

wins32767 posted:

So many fellow citizens are suffering. They need to be aided and I'm disappointed at the level of the federal response.

That said, I'm not sure how a democratic system of government can function without engaged citizens that are responsible for their own governance, regardless of outcome. The mode where some other (the elites, the government, the rich) are blamed for problems (even when partially or substantially true) doesn't end up in a place where citizens are actually empowered. A substantial majority of the citizens of Texas have been able to participate in their own governance over the time period where the decisions leading up to the current crisis were made and as soon as the crisis is over it will be within their power to fix the problem. Denying the former results in the failure of the latter.

Our whole system of governance actually relies on representatives pursuing the good faith interests of their constituencies. We are not a direct democracy. State energy production policy and how it relates to interstate commerce is not a topic that anyone can expect the average voter to know much, if anything, about.

In this instance we have an example of regulatory capture by the entities that the government is supposed to constrain. Texas ERCOT grid doesn't present any tangible benefit for consumers, other than rhetoric. It never should have been established and certainly shouldn't have been allowed to continue and fail so spectacularly.

This of course is more or less the end game of all republican policy - reorienting government as a tool of commerce instead of a means of accomplishing the public good. Billions and billions of dollars have been dumped into convincing voters that what's good for business is good for the consumer. This is of course patently false in certain situations.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 19, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

wins32767 posted:

I haven't caught the national view on the Federal response (or lack thereof), locally I've been hearing that FEMA has sent aid, but it's up the the state/local government to distribute/use. Allegedly there is a FEMA response, but no one in TX with any authority is telling them what to do with said aid, who needs it, or where is needs to be. But this is all what I can glean from the absolutely amazing lack of communication from local and state gov'ts.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Our whole system of governance actually relies on representatives pursuing the good faith interests of their constituencies. We are not a direct democracy. State energy production policy and how it relates to interstate commerce is not a topic that anyone can expect the average voter to know much, if anything, about.
It's on the voters to select appropriate representatives and ensure they are doing their jobs. Engagement in governance by most citizens is too low to support that. There was a commission a decade ago that highlighted many of the underlying causes of the current crisis that was digestible enough if the citizens chose to engage.

I'm casting this stone at myself here too. I just hate the excuse making that disempowers us. We need to be holding ourselves more accountable to engage with governing so that we don't end up with this sort of crisis in our localities.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

I haven't caught the national view on the Federal response (or lack thereof), locally I've been hearing that FEMA has sent aid, but it's up the the state/local government to distribute/use. Allegedly there is a FEMA response, but no one in TX with any authority is telling them what to do with said aid, who needs it, or where is needs to be. But this is all what I can glean from the absolutely amazing lack of communication from local and state gov'ts.

It's entirely possible that the local county/state entities are completely hosed as well - there was a thread from an emergency manager who was talking about the wheeling-dealing between EMs being done to route diesel and water where it was needed, but a lot of them don't have power, water, or staff right now.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

wins32767 posted:

It's on the voters to select appropriate representatives and ensure they are doing their jobs. Engagement in governance by most citizens is too low to support that. There was a commission a decade ago that highlighted many of the underlying causes of the current crisis that was digestible enough if the citizens chose to engage.

I'm casting this stone at myself here too. I just hate the excuse making that disempowers us. We need to be holding ourselves more accountable to engage with governing so that we don't end up with this sort of crisis in our localities.

I agree with this. I hope some people come out of this tragedy realizing they need to make this a part of their routine; that they're normalizing this behavior. I tend to avoid interest or involvement in local politics because I move every two years, but maybe I should add a bit of civic research to my weekly routine. I regularly parse GAO articles on DOD affairs, for example. Why can't I extend that methodology to things like the commission you described?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There’s an awful lot of blame to go around and I think that’s getting lost among all the finger pointing.

The power company/broker’s shortsightedness and unpreparedness is certainly a direct source of blame.

Elite and local Texas politicians poor response is another.

But you can also point blame at the system of energy deregulation Texas embarked on that incentivized ERCOT’s behavior as well as loosened all regulation that could have mandated changes.

And that puts blame on the politicians of generations of Texans who setup and allowed such a structure to exist.

Which does come around to the voters of Texas being in some way responsible for the mess.

However, to blame the victims of shocking corporate and political mismanagement to a degree unseen since Maria or Katrina is, while not a bit much, essentially missing the trees for the forest.

The disaster, in the immediate, could have been managed so much better if not for the incompetence at the very top of Texas government and energy. Blame should start there and be righteous.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The "reaping" was done by utility investors, their lobbyists, and bought politicians 1989-present, HTH. That includes during this crisis when ERCOT allowed emergency price hikes so that nat gas generators wouldn't just shut down due to the spike in gas.

They're more or less (or in some cases literally are) the "rip their faces off" Enron guys, laughing while they run away with a sack of money. I guarantee they feel approximately 0% pwned by mean tweets.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/JarJarFan69/status/1362745205795872768?s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
https://www.khou.com/amp/article/ne...47-9a67daed34c2

The mother in this story is a student at the business school where I got my MBA. Didn't know her or anything, but it personalizes this a bit. Hope Ted enjoyed his night in Cancun.

I only have one kid but I'm pretty sure if anything happened to him I would be permanently broken.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 19, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GoGoGadget posted:

Is this whole thing affecting military bases in the area, too? I know it's a weird thing to focus on, but the thought of how much it'd suck to be in BMT with no water or electricity briefly came up.

Would they have generators for essential operations? Seems like a base being knocked out from a power outage is something to be avoided.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Off topic- any one ever FOIA DoD before?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Would they have generators for essential operations? Seems like a base being knocked out from a power outage is something to be avoided.

Can't say for sure, but I do know a guy who left his job as a wheeled vehicle mechanic MOS to change to whatever MOS works on the big generators that bases use for backup power. Apparently you go straight to doing literally the exact same job on the civilian side but making a minimum of six figures doing that.

McNamaras Morons
Feb 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thoughts and prayers Taexs

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Can't say for sure, but I do know a guy who left his job as a wheeled vehicle mechanic MOS to change to whatever MOS works on the big generators that bases use for backup power. Apparently you go straight to doing literally the exact same job on the civilian side but making a minimum of six figures doing that.

Its pretty standard in hospitals so I would be surprised if critical systems didn't have backup. There is the issue of duration as I think the places I worked at usually only had like 24-48 hours of fuel on site as UST, diesel has a pretty short shelf life, and depending on your prime mover theres a good chance you rely on natural gas for mains.

I think pay usually starts at $40/hr on the low end but that comes with a defined benefit pension and better benefits.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

And presumably they have power generation capacity for the very predictable circumstance of having to operate anywhere other than on base. Like if they're invading somewhere, surely theres more planning than "plug into the local grid, I guess."

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 19, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Package gen in a conex with a fuel bladder almost certainly.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JulieNBCNews/status/1362871641907298306?s=19

If you set aside the Manchin dumbness (he approved Grenell and Sessions), this is probably the first time someone's shitposting cost them a cabinet position.

https://twitter.com/PaulBlu/status/1362876491349045249?s=19

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

wins32767 posted:

Yeah Americans are loving idiots and it's hellish trying to discuss anything politically related with your neighbors.

Edit: What the gently caress is Joe Manchin doing? Can the loving democratic party not whip this idiot into shape? Are we really going to bend this entire administrations legislative agenda around one loving idiot from West Virginia?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Edit: What the gently caress is Joe Manchin doing? Can the loving democratic party not whip this idiot into shape? Are we really going to bend this entire administrations legislative agenda around one loving idiot from West Virginia?

A reply in tweetform:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1362876959986974724

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1362882716396625921

Neera Tanden doesn't have any friends on the Republican side and completely alienated the Bernie side of the party over the years. gently caress her, let Manchin torpedo the nomination if he doesn't touch the more important poo poo. Or, have the Senate/House recess and put her in on a recess appointment later.

And yeah, you basically have to bend the legislative agenda around the loving idiot from West Virginia. That's life in a 50-50 Senate. Otherwise, you're bending the legislative agenda around Republicans. You'll get Manchin before you get Collins/Murkowski and there is literally zero that anyone can do about Manchin. He's up in 2024 in a beat-red state and he's literally the only Democrat that could win that race (if he even runs). The solution to the Manchin problem was to not have poo poo candidates in Maine and North Carolina in 2020.

I more posted that thing because it's funny that shitposting torpedoed a nominee. :v: