Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Motronic posted:

Why do you want/need a mid sized sedan? You sound like a Prius candidate otherwise.

I'm a larger guy and have trouble getting in/out of compacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kilonum posted:

I'm a larger guy and have trouble getting in/out of compacts

You need to go sit in some cars. Just because it's a smaller car doesn't mean you won't fit. Just because it's a bigger car doesn't mean that you will. The relative size of the driver's area/leg room/width is not tightly correlated with the size of the vehicle overall.

Go find a carmax or similar and sit in some things, including a prius.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I had no problems getting into a Prius and Prius V when I was 6'0" and 330 lbs, never tried the Prius C. You'll need to sit in some.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

And you don't have to worry about electric or plug-ins on that budget.

You can get a Nissan Leaf that cheap.

You should absolutely not buy a Nissan Leaf that cheap unless the longest drive you plan on taking is 10 miles one way.

But, yes, go sit in some cars and see what actually feels good to you, and then try to find the nicest example of that with the newest tires on it that you can find for your budget.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Thanks, I'll take that on board. I do walk by 3 dealerships on my way to work (Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Chevy, and a used dealer that has nothing with 4 wheels under $10k at last check)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kilonum posted:

Thanks, I'll take that on board. I do walk by 3 dealerships on my way to work (Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Chevy, and a used dealer that has nothing with 4 wheels under $10k at last check)

Motronic's suggestion of Carmax or similar specifically was a good one. Unlike regular dealerships, CarMax employees are not on commission and are completely fine with you sitting in and test driving lots of different vehicles. Plus they'll have vehicles from all different makes and models to try.

I've sung Carmax's praises here before, but they really did make shopping for my mother-in-law so much easier. She was picky for reasons she couldn't even articulate, so we spent most of a day at a CarMax mostly just sitting in cars to see how she felt in them. We asked ahead for a patient salesperson since we knew it'd be difficult, and they were understanding and never rushed anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you're also more likely to sit in a wide range of poo poo at a carmax dealer - sure the CJDR dealer might have a decent used car lot, but it's not going to be nearly as extensive.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Nearest three carmax locations to me are all over 20 miles away and the cheapest they have is $8k

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
The price isn't important, the point isn't to buy from them, but that it's an easy way to sit in or test drive a variety of models from different manufacturers.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Kilonum posted:

Nearest three carmax locations to me are all over 20 miles away and the cheapest they have is $8k

If you're looking for good cheap used cars you need to expand your search radius beyond 20 miles

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Also, it really cannot be stressed enough how true their "no pressure" advertising is. I would maybe stop short of saying "everything on your lot is too expensive" but they won't have a problem with you just hanging out in their lot sitting in cars a bunch.

A 40 mile round trip in an uber or whatever is a pain, but it might be the difference between making a very large purchase that is merely acceptable vs one you're actually happy with.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Tyro posted:

The price isn't important, the point isn't to buy from them, but that it's an easy way to sit in or test drive a variety of models from different manufacturers.

It's this. You can spend all day at a CarMax sitting in cars to figure out which you like best, then go somewhere closer that has the car you would like (if it's available within 20 miles, I guess).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I should point out that I know I can fit semi-comfortably in a Smart fortwo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I should point out that I know I can fit semi-comfortably in a Smart fortwo

Go to Carmax and sit in cars. Bum a ride from a friend.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Go to Carmax and sit in cars. Bum a ride from a friend.

It feel like we've got some mismatched expectations going on here, because when someone in this thread says "but it's 20 miles away" I'm thinking so what? That's pretty close.

Kilonum, you came here for advice because you literally have never done this before. You got a consensus of a bunch of posters telling you what you need to do. Take the advice.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first car. I have decent driving experience with rentals/f&f cars for road trips over the years, but for personal use I've been happy with biking and using public transit till now (but that's going to change since I'm planning on moving somewhere with horrible transit and sprawl). As a result I know jack about car picking and maintenance.

Proposed Budget: 16k USD, but preferably under 12k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Road trips and groceries, driving my family around for things, no commute.
What aspects are most important to you? : Cost of ownership, mileage, reliability and lasting a long time. Something with decent storage size would be nice
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. I live in Canada.

My preference would be something like a Camry, but anything as reliable as that would do really. I'm looking for advice on what mileage vs price tradeoffs I should settle for, what model years to avoid, where to go for good deals, things along those lines.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 19, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unless you really cannot stand the way the Prius drives, the Toyota Prius is here to check your boxes. The Camry trades some pure utility for comfort and a generally better driving experience, at a price premium. What cars have you driven as rentals or whatever that you liked?

How to maintain a car for people who don't maintain cars:
1) Look at the owner's manual. There are usually two or three types of routine preventative maintenance services that should be executed based on either time in years or miles driven. Make sure you do these on time. You should probably be taking your car in for some kind of service once per year, even if it's just an oil change and tire rotation.
2) If the car starts making weird noises or behaving differently, that's not normal. It could be something bad, it could be something relatively easy to fix, but much like with your mental and physical health, ignoring symptoms is a sure fire way to make the problem worse. You can go to a mechanic, and or come to the AI stupid questions thread. We are mostly nice, I promise.
3) a AAA membership (or equivalent) can be very useful. Tows are expensive.
4) If you're so inclined there's quite a bit you can do yourself with just a few tools, so if that sounds interesting to you come visit us in AI.

A couple of other notes specific : If you are driving the car very infrequently, it's likely that when you drive the car again for the first time that the tires have gone slightly out of round. They might sound funny or the car might vibrate just a little bit or feel off. This should go away as soon as the tires get warm (so call it 5 ish minutes). If not, something else is wrong. Your disc brakes will also be coated in surface rust, so they may sound bad or feel bad the first time you stop. Apply them gently a few times before you really need 'em to knock the rust off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

It feel like we've got some mismatched expectations going on here, because when someone in this thread says "but it's 20 miles away" I'm thinking so what? That's pretty close.

Yeah just want to reiterate that a car is almost certainly either the second-most expensive thing most people purchase (you own a house) or the most expensive thing you purchase (you don't own a house). To find what you want at a price that you want, you need to expend a significant amount of time and effort.

Kilonum, congrats on getting your license! It's a tough step especially later in life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What if you own a house and the mortgage is less than your car payments? :saddowns:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

What if you own a house and the mortgage is less than your car payments? :saddowns:

KillHour posted:

Food: $200
Data: $150
Mortgage: $800
Aston Martin + Stinger + FoRS: $3,600
Utilities: $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this.
my family is dying

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

spend less on cars

KillHour posted:

no

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KillHour posted:

this was me for five years

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Congrats on having the nicest collection of cars in Fentanyl county, OH I guess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Congrats on having the nicest collection of cars in Fentanyl county, OH I guess.

Don't you live in Pennsylvania?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I mean, my sister's mortgage is less than her car payments but that's because she took out a 25 year mortgage in 1995 and just bought a BMW i3 in November.

On topic: test drove a 2006 Prius this morning (1.5k out of my budget :(), I was quite happy with how i fit in it and how comfortable i was,, my only complaint is the location of the speedometer. Gonna see if I can find one within my budget.

For the guy who said 20mi is not far: lol I am in Massachusetts, that was 20mi in a straight line, more like 35 by road, and 45 minutes to an hour drive time.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Kilonum posted:

I mean, my sister's mortgage is less than her car payments but that's because she took out a 25 year mortgage in 1995 and just bought a BMW i3 in November.

On topic: test drove a 2006 Prius this morning (1.5k out of my budget :(), I was quite happy with how i fit in it and how comfortable i was,, my only complaint is the location of the speedometer. Gonna see if I can find one within my budget.

For the guy who said 20mi is not far: lol I am in Massachusetts, that was 20mi in a straight line, more like 35 by road, and 45 minutes to an hour drive time.

I sympathize; Mass. is the most fractal place I’ve driven; no matter whether it was 3 miles or 30 miles away you were locked in to a 30-40 min drive.

Anyway, probably still worth investing an hour or two of effort into a 5k purchase. Walking into a cjdr dealership on foot and you will drive out in a 35% APR Dodge Dart.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The CJDR dealer has nothing under $11k. Chevy nothing under 8. This was at a dealer a couple towns over.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Call the place where it's 1.5k out of budget and offer them 5k exactly cash. Worst they can do is say no.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Someone smashed into my 2013 Elantra last week and it gotten written off, I'm looking to upgrade anyway...

Proposed Budget: around $16K CAD (~ $13K USD), might be willing to go higher if it's worth it.
New or Used: I'm mostly looking at used but recent year models right now
Body Style: Probably a hatchback? I had a sedan before and it wasn't well-suited for my job.
How will you be using the car?: Daily 10min commute, plus short drives around town for work several days a week which can involve carrying big boxes of stuff around hence wanting to go for something with a hatch-back and more cargo space. Highway driving to places a few hours away maybe a couple times a year.
Something I could put a roof rack on to carry a canoe would be a bonus.
Northern Ontario weather, so I'll be adding snow tires and it has to be able to cope with a few -40 nights every winter (though every car you can buy here comes with a block heater as a given)
What aspects are most important to you? I'm not a Car Guy, I wish I knew more about car maintenance but I don't, so my main concern is reliability. All I really want is a car that's not gonna end up costing me a bunch for maintenance, and has bluetooth.

I'm currently looking at a 2019 Kia Rio for about $15.7K CAD with 20,000 km (~12,500 miles) on it, and I actually have a 2021 Rio as my CAA rental right now which I've quite liked driving over the past couple days.
Does that seem reasonable?

If I'm looking at recent hatchbacks are there any particular make/model/years I should look out for as good deals or lemons?

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Looking for some suggestions. I have a 2008 2-door Civic with 105K miles. Looking to get something new/new-ish while my current car still has some trade-in value and to take advantage of the great interest rates right now.

Proposed Budget: $20,000 give or take

New or Used: I'm OK with either, but if used I'd be looking for <10,000 miles, at which point it seems like you're not really saving a ton of money over new? I don't know what I'm talking about. I haven't bought a car in over 10 years.

Body Style: 4 door compact or midsize. Hatchback preferred, but not a deal breaker

How will you be using the car?: Daily commuter. Half hour to hour long commute from suburbs to city. Rarely have passengers. Occasional transport of large German Shepherd.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No, I've never had a luxury car, so as long as I keep it that way I won't know what I'm missing out on. A backup camera would be nice. An easy way to mount a bike rack would also be nice.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability > cost of ownership > MPG are the main priorities

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DangerousSmells posted:

Looking for some suggestions. I have a 2008 2-door Civic with 105K miles. Looking to get something new/new-ish while my current car still has some trade-in value and to take advantage of the great interest rates right now.

Proposed Budget: $20,000 give or take

New or Used: I'm OK with either, but if used I'd be looking for <10,000 miles, at which point it seems like you're not really saving a ton of money over new? I don't know what I'm talking about. I haven't bought a car in over 10 years.

Body Style: 4 door compact or midsize. Hatchback preferred, but not a deal breaker

How will you be using the car?: Daily commuter. Half hour to hour long commute from suburbs to city. Rarely have passengers. Occasional transport of large German Shepherd.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No, I've never had a luxury car, so as long as I keep it that way I won't know what I'm missing out on. A backup camera would be nice. An easy way to mount a bike rack would also be nice.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability > cost of ownership > MPG are the main priorities

Prius

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That template absolutely need to have a Prius question

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread: Get a Prius

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kilonum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread: Get a Prius

Then someone will get a salvaged ex rental Prius and be mad at us.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unless you really cannot stand the way the Prius drives, the Toyota Prius is here to check your boxes. The Camry trades some pure utility for comfort and a generally better driving experience, at a price premium. What cars have you driven as rentals or whatever that you liked?

How to maintain a car for people who don't maintain cars:
1) Look at the owner's manual. There are usually two or three types of routine preventative maintenance services that should be executed based on either time in years or miles driven. Make sure you do these on time. You should probably be taking your car in for some kind of service once per year, even if it's just an oil change and tire rotation.
2) If the car starts making weird noises or behaving differently, that's not normal. It could be something bad, it could be something relatively easy to fix, but much like with your mental and physical health, ignoring symptoms is a sure fire way to make the problem worse. You can go to a mechanic, and or come to the AI stupid questions thread. We are mostly nice, I promise.
3) a AAA membership (or equivalent) can be very useful. Tows are expensive.
4) If you're so inclined there's quite a bit you can do yourself with just a few tools, so if that sounds interesting to you come visit us in AI.

A couple of other notes specific : If you are driving the car very infrequently, it's likely that when you drive the car again for the first time that the tires have gone slightly out of round. They might sound funny or the car might vibrate just a little bit or feel off. This should go away as soon as the tires get warm (so call it 5 ish minutes). If not, something else is wrong. Your disc brakes will also be coated in surface rust, so they may sound bad or feel bad the first time you stop. Apply them gently a few times before you really need 'em to knock the rust off.

Thanks!

Is there some reason the prius is a popular recommendation, the mileage from being a hybrid?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mila kunis posted:

Thanks!

Is there some reason the prius is a popular recommendation, the mileage from being a hybrid?

Low maintenance, low cost of ownership. Boring as hell to drive.

It's the ideal car for someone who doesn't actually care about cars or driving and just wants an appliance to get from one place to another cheaply and reliably.

Anybody who says their main criteria are reliability, gas mileage, and low maintenance is going to get recommended a Prius.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

mila kunis posted:

Thanks!

More than anything else, it's about the transmission.

Modern automatic transmissions - whether they're based on a planetary gearset and torque converter, dual-clutch setup, or belt-and-pulley CVT - are incredibly complex devices. They're amazingly efficient and reliable for what they are, but even so, they do have lots of important little pieces inside. When one breaks or wears out, the car can't move normally under its own power any more, and it's expensive to haul that complex machine that's sandwiched in the middle of the drivetrain out to fix it.

Toyota's "hybrid synergy drive" system takes all that complexity and throws it out the window. Electric motors are simple and well-understood technology, and it turns out that adding a couple of motors with the right electronic control to a very simple, robust gearbox can give you a near-bulletproof transmission with surprisingly few parts. Also, having an electric motor to help out with sudden changes in demand means that the engine side of the system typically doesn't see as much stress as a typical small-car engine - if you floor the pedal, the electric motor is the one that wakes up first, then the gas motor catches up in a nice leisurely way to fill in a bit more power. Even the brakes get a break, because the regenerative system means the friction brakes aren't used as much.

There are some potential downsides. For instance, battery cells do wear out - but, because there are a lot of Priuses puttering around to provide donor parts, rebuilt battery packs are pretty cheap. The Prius is also dire when it comes to "fun to drive" factors thanks to its low-grip, low-rolling-resistance stock tires and a suspension that does a good job masking the rough ride of those tires at the cost of any hint of sporty responsiveness. There's the image thing, too. And, although they're solid reliable cars, they're not perfect. You still don't want somebody's used-for-Uber beater.

But, overall, a moderately used Prius is a great choice for somebody looking for a sensible and efficient transportation appliance. So is any other mass-market Toyota hybrid.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mila kunis posted:

Thanks!

The prius is quite likely the most reliable car ever built.
This to some degree excludes the first gen prius (the one that looks like a Yaris or something, not a prius)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Prius is one of the few cars where even on a stupidly high mileage example, you could eat the two biggest expenses (new HV battery, new brake master/booster) and not be in a situation where you're throwing good money down the drain. It's not like having a beater where throwing a rebuilt automatic transmission at it is begging the engine to spin a bearing.

Rust belt cars excluded, of course. Rust kills indiscriminately.

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Well I guess I walked right into the Prius recommendation. Follow up question then: is it too early to be confident in the AWD models or are they good to go? I live near Chicago, so that would be a nice bonus for me in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DangerousSmells posted:

Well I guess I walked right into the Prius recommendation. Follow up question then: is it too early to be confident in the AWD models or are they good to go? I live near Chicago, so that would be a nice bonus for me in the winter.

Snow tires will generally do you more good than AWD. AWD helps you get going. It does not help you stop or turn, while good snow tires will do all three.