Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They've graduated from being merely a poorly run team to an organisation designed to advance Easterby. Winning is hard enough when you're trying, it's near enough impossible when you're not.

Plus they're going into the management death spiral of making decisions based on how they're perceived rather than whether they're a good idea.

And the racism, and dicking him around with seeking his input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PupsOfWar posted:

Not one of them would ever think of refusing to do something on principle or out of personal disdain.

What? Billionaires do poo poo out of spite all the time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Same; the funniest part being that they did that because they were so shook from everyone making fun of them for the trade

Yeah that part struck me as potentially revealing, too. They might actually legit just hold onto Watson because they can't stomach a bad news cycle.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Deshaun should just go full cracker at this point. He's going to be slandered as a diva no matter what.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Deshaun should just go full cracker at this point. He's going to be slandered as a diva no matter what.

With the shitshow that is going on in Texas the only people ripping on him are the stupidest texan fans and the burner account of the gm.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd say Watson should just keep doing what he's doing. The vast majority of coverage is correctly regarding him as the reasonable party.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s hilarious that that burner is still going despite everyone calling it out. That’s gotta be a record.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

fsif posted:

Yeah that part struck me as potentially revealing, too. They might actually legit just hold onto Watson because they can't stomach a bad news cycle.

the media is on watson's side so if they wanna avoid a bad news cycle they should quit being shitheads

e: they meaning the texans

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 19, 2021

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd say Watson should just keep doing what he's doing. The vast majority of coverage is correctly regarding him as the reasonable party.

As soon as he's out the narrative will switch to "is he a bad team-mate?"

It'll be dumb but it's inevitable

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

PupsOfWar posted:

i don't know about that
or rather i don't know that they understand it in the same sense that a player would

they understand hierarchy, they spend their whole lives either schmoozing to bigger rich guys or expecting smaller rich guys to schmooze to them

but like..."I respect this person's abilities and appreciate the opportunity to collaborate with them" type respect, no

you have that with teammates and family and coworkers, which billionaires don't have

basically what I'm getting at is billionaires are all solipsistic sociopaths who believe they're the only person who exists , they might understand social inputs and outputs in the way you'd understand pushing a button, but they don't understand relationships beyond that. They're like squids.

when watson says "cal, i don't like you, i refuse to work for you any more" i think cal doesn't get it because the only "work" a billionaire ever does is cutting deals with people they don't care about in order to gain advantage over other people they don't care about. Not one of them would ever think of refusing to do something on principle or out of personal disdain.

i would never defend billionaires, but i don't think they're drooling idiots

if a player gets mad because they feel that they're being frozen out of decisions, that's something that an owner can understand and process, because they understand delegation and compartmentalization. they might not care, or they might not think the player has the right to make those calls, but fundamentally there is an understanding of hierarchical relationships because that's all that wealth is.

billionaires aren't 4 year olds; they might not care that someone's upset but they can understand the basic principles behind "oh my talented employee is upset because they don't have power/influence over decisions that affect them" and they definitely refuse to do things out of personal disdain for them. that's how deandre hopkins got traded in the first place

i think it's way more evil for billionaires to be spiteful and cruel and reactionary and arbitrary while they understand the needs and wants of others rather than because they don't

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Billionaires may not all be drooling idiots but their sons almost universally are. Cal McNair never made cent in his life that did not come from his dad.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like david johnson but dependable and tough are both debatable

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Because obviously I must put the disclaimer in I understand that there is no such thing as an ethical billionaire.

Anyway there’s definitely something to be said for how someone who grew up normal and then through whatever circumstances collected their wealth and how they behave vs those who are born right into said wealth.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

PupsOfWar posted:

I'd buy that if watson had signed his big extension before the hopkins trade

But he signed it afterwards, and after o'brien's other famously bad moves

Gotta be something there beyond concern over the roster

If that Athletic article is to be believed, (and it rings true to me) Watson was pissed about the Hopkins trade, but they assured him they had a plan for winning. Then they threw a poo poo ton of money at him to appease him. Hell, his getting a no trade clause indicates that he was aware of the potential problems he might face in the future. That clause hurts Houston's leverage because they can't just dump him wherever and puts a lot of the power in his hand.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What? Billionaires do poo poo out of spite all the time.

Facts. There is a real chance that Houston plays this thing out to the end. I wouldn't be surprised if Watson has to sit out the year to make something happen. To avoid looking stupid, billionaires will 100% do something even stupider.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

hifi posted:

i like david johnson but dependable and tough are both debatable

once upon a time...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I am an ethical billionaire

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

that must've been one hell of an oo-mox session

and i seriously hope i don't have to explain that joke, but if i do, here

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If I had a billion dollars I’d give $1 away to no longer be a billionaire and now I’d be morally in the clear.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I had a billion dollars I’d give $1 away to no longer be a billionaire and now I’d be morally in the clear.

I'm a billionaire. I sold the Manas steak I.P. to Disney.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

aperion posted:

that must've been one hell of an oo-mox session

and i seriously hope i don't have to explain that joke, but if i do, here

i don't get it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm a billionaire. I sold the Manas steak I.P. to Disney.
I never gave you permission. Would one of the resident TFF lawyers please help a brother out?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s hilarious that that burner is still going despite everyone calling it out. That’s gotta be a record.

That’s because it’s not real.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My favorite part of this Texans poo poo show is them hiring a billion dollar headhunting firm to come up with a list of GM candidates. They come back with a list that includes minority candidates as the top 2 on the entire list. The Texans ignore the list to turn around and hire some white guy from the Patriots. To be so blatant and obvious about it is absolutely stunning and I don't see how the league hasn't poo poo a brick over that given they're at least trying to look like they care about minority hires.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Q_res posted:

My favorite part of this Texans poo poo show is them hiring a billion dollar headhunting firm to come up with a list of GM candidates. They come back with a list that includes minority candidates as the top 2 on the entire list. The Texans ignore the list to turn around and hire some white guy from the Patriots. To be so blatant and obvious about it is absolutely stunning and I don't see how the league hasn't poo poo a brick over that given they're at least trying to look like they care about minority hires.

Don’t forget that they turned around and hired some white guy from the Patriots they nearly got hit with league tampering charges when they tried to hire him a few years before!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The problem is by the time you get the 1 dollar out of your wallet, your remaining wealth has created 5 more. Billionaires are victims of circumstance when you think about it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

General Dog posted:

The problem is by the time you get the 1 dollar out of your wallet, your remaining wealth has created 5 more. Billionaires are victims of circumstance when you think about it.

So you'd have to buy one of those cash money guns and have someone named The Accountant with you who's constantly reloading them for you to fire.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Q_res posted:

It seems like the NFL uses the Fritz Pollard Alliance as their canary in the coalmine for racial issues, and they had nothing to say about Caserio. I guess Houston's enough of a NFL backwater that stuff like this slips by.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kalli posted:

So you'd have to buy one of those cash money guns and have someone named The Accountant with you who's constantly reloading them for you to fire.

Not a bad idea, but I might just have to reload the gun myself. I don't want the little people thinking the money is actually coming from The Accountant; they might try to make him their king or something.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The more I read up on this dude, the more blown away I am.

Man, just... does anyone know how he got his initial start into the league circles?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Q_res posted:

I don't see how the league hasn't poo poo a brick over that given they're at least trying to look like they care about minority hires.

what would that even look like? I don’t think we’d ever find out about it, Goodell isn’t gonna start calling out ownership publicly or leaking stuff to the media

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Man, just... does anyone know how he got his initial start into the league circles?

Not to start ugly rumors with no evidence, but I bet he and Cal have hosed each others' wives. Kraft too.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just look for the Easterby puff pieces.

https://www.patriots.com/news/you-don-t-know-jack-the-most-influential-patriot-you-ve-never-heard-of

quote:

In 2006, he returned to The Palmetto State in the malleable role of character coach for the University of South Carolina's athletic department. He continued to refine this position until 2011, whereupon the Chiefs brought him on board to tailor it further for their organizational needs.

On the verge of Easterby's third season with Kansas City, Belichick reached out, perhaps because of Easterby's experience in dealing with a team tragedy months earlier in December 2012.

Jovan Belcher, a 25-year-old Chiefs linebacker, fatally shot his girlfriend at their home before driving to team headquarters, where Belcher then took his own life. Easterby subsequently helped the Chiefs pick up the emotional pieces. By early summer 2013, New England found itself in a similarly surreal situation with then-tight end Aaron Hernandez.

Coincidental timing or not, something intangible evidently was missing within the walls of Gillette Stadium. Belichick seemed to understand that his unquestionably successful management approach might work even better with a counterweight. Could Easterby provide that?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I never gave you permission. Would one of the resident TFF lawyers please help a brother out?

My thread, sorry.

maybe if you overlook my not so veiled insults and felate me on social media whenever you get the opportunity I'll toss you like a plat or something.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Amy Pole Her posted:

knew a guy who knew a guy; basically he went from SCAR to kansas city (ryan succop recommended him to scott pioli) and he embedded himself there after that one guy killed himself at the team facility and he ended up being really supportive and made a good impression on everyone, then scott pioli recommended him to the pats and to belichick because of the aaron hernandez disaster, and then he got brought in by b.o.b to the texans

the rest is history

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Eifert Posting posted:

My thread, sorry.

maybe if you overlook my not so veiled insults and felate me on social media whenever you get the opportunity I'll toss you like a plat or something.
uh, what?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

My thread, sorry.

Is this now a Gendo alt account or something?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Q_res posted:

The Texans have a problematic history with race but this specifically wasn't about race, they hired the one guy who wasn't going to push Easterby out and Easterby had McNair's ear on the hiring so

This entire offseason has been about Easterby consolidating power and cementing his position which makes it even funnier since he's basically a cross between a used car salesman and a tent pole pastor

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Easterby is pretty racist but this would have happened if like Josh Allen was QB

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

This entire offseason has been about Easterby consolidating power and cementing his position which makes it even funnier since he's basically a cross between a used car salesman and a tent pole pastor

His theoretical appeal is something that I am intrinsically completely unable to understand. It's like Joel Osteen—how do people see these guys as anything other than surface level hucksters? They're like Tiny Tunes level caricatures of snake oil salesmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:laffo: