Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Okay, the sitcom stuff in this weeks episode of WandaVision was really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I guess he was not impressed by Chris Evan's performance.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Shirkelton posted:

I guess he was not impressed by Chris Evan's performance.

There are three things that excite him — Captain America, of course, dinosaurs, and the violence of the MCU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

omg chael crash posted:

Okay, the sitcom stuff in this weeks episode of WandaVision was really funny

This and last week's really really landed for me, way more than the previous ones.

And also the ending to this one had me loving cackling like an idiot

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

There are three things that excite him — Captain America, of course, dinosaurs, and the violence of the MCU

There are only tree tings tha' excite me; Dynasores, there is ah woman of course and the vyolence of the MCU.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GSP, during the fifth round versus Jon Fitch: Eye ahm, ah, eenevatableh!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Abroham Lincoln posted:

And also the ending to this one had me loving cackling like an idiot

Yeah I loved that bit.

The space rover stuff felt like a contrived excuse to get Monica into her Photon outfit. They know stuff gets converted going through the barrier so their solution is...to just drive through it and hope?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Well clearly a space rover is very well protected. Nobody ever got hit by any weird radiation in outer space, after all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Were the frequent small continuity errors in some scenes related to the Modern Family pastiche, or Agatha(or genuine fuckups, which I kinda doubt)? The scene where she comes in to pick up the kids while Wanda is breaking down is littered with weird cuts and inconsistencies.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hahah that ending. *chefkiss*

This is the first episode with a post-credits scene, in case you're like me and skip the 7+ minutes of extensive end credits.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 19, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Well this sucks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That ending was great, And I killed sparky too! lmao :discourse:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That ending was wonderful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can't wait to see the good guy shoot red lasers at the bad guys purple lasers, and the lasers will meet in the middle and move back and forth a bit as the good guy and bad see who has the stronger lasers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there will be white lasers too

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you didn't see this coming from literally the announcement of that characters name, I don't know what to tell you.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Photon!!! The rest of the episode was good too, but Photon!!! Now give me Nextwave you bastards!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I don't think Agatha's theme lyrics should be taken too literally, though I agree it would be a pretty big copout at this point if Wanda is truly absolved of responsibility and I certainly hope the last two episodes don't go that route.

but if you wanted Wanda to be solely responsible for the Hex... I'm not saying that would make for a bad story, but I think you may have unrealistic expectations for the kinds of stories you can expect Marvel Studios to tell. idk

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Was that soldier supposed to be her aerospace engineer friend the actress hyped up? Was that someone I didn't recognize in the role?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Aphrodite posted:

Was that soldier supposed to be her aerospace engineer friend the actress hyped up? Was that someone I didn't recognize in the role?

It was The Captain

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Someone theorized in the TVIV thread that the engineer or possibly the entire team were Skrulls, which would explain that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

She didn't really hype anything up, she just said that she knew an aerospace engineer that would be up to a challenge, and people jumped to the assumption that she was referring to a superhero and not, you know, the fact that her mother founded, and she is currently employed by, Comic-Book--NASA.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

She didn't really hype anything up, she just said that she knew an aerospace engineer that would be up to a challenge, and people jumped to the assumption that she was referring to a superhero and not, you know, the fact that her mother founded, and she is currently employed by, Comic-Book--NASA.

Teyonah Parris did.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-aerospace-engineer-teyonah-parris/

People seem pretty convinced that wasn’t meant to be the engineer anyway. A career soldier probably wouldn’t also be an aerospace engineer.

Edit: Plus there's that Bettany interview where he talks about an unrevealed character who is played by someone he has wanted to work with his whole life.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 19, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Yeah I got nothin on that, then. Even them being Skrulls wouldn't be that big a deal, along with being super confusing for anyone who missed Captain Marvel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That lady was just a military woman who drove the truck, not the engineer.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Even though it was pretty obvious from before the show even started, that reveal felt a bit unearned, but damned if the theme song didn't make up for it.

Also my guess is vision is still dead and the one who's there is just a fail safe Wanda put in

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Retro Futurist posted:

Even though it was pretty obvious from before the show even started, that reveal felt a bit unearned, but damned if the theme song didn't make up for it.

Also my guess is vision is still dead and the one who's there is just a fail safe Wanda put in

Well in the comics Agnes Harkness has almost always been a good witch, she was the baby sitter for the Fantastic Four for gently caress's sake so being caught unawares doesn't mean you need to hand in your nerd card.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Well this sucks.

I was also not a huge fan of the episode.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't like that Agnes is just "evil" and hope that gets walked back on, but it definitely won't be. Actually, I'm expecting Agnes to have a backstory where she too lost someone, and is manipulating Wanda to try and resurrect them. That'd fit neatly in with the theme of the show

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Hahah that ending. *chefkiss*

This is the first episode with a post-credits scene, in case you're like me and skip the 7+ minutes of extensive end credits.
Wait, the thing after the clever credits and before the black-and-white stuff, or is there another one after those too? Because I saw one post-credits scene and then Disney+ seemed to think it was all over based on how it wanted to boot me over to watch Age of Ultron, so I bailed.

Also, this show can do so much with just an aspect shift, and I think that's really neat.

Saw the Agatha reveal coming all along, same as everyone else, and i've had my chips on "Wanda's not the baddie" since episode 5, so yay me.

Didn't expect them to use a commercial to tease the Nexus of All Realities, of all things, though. That's... pretty loving neat!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't like that Agnes is just "evil" and hope that gets walked back on, but it definitely won't be. Actually, I'm expecting Agnes to have a backstory where she too lost someone, and is manipulating Wanda to try and resurrect them. That'd fit neatly in with the theme of the show

That makes sense but I don't know any way for it to be done well. Especially if Agnes started this whole thing. How did she know Wanda would have that kind of power? Was it just a coincidence that Wanda ended up in Agatha's town or did she somehow lure here there? If it really was "Agatha all along" then there's a big miserable exposition dump coming up that is going to suuuuuuuck

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I can't imagine that not at least getting lip service given she killed Sparky to see if Wanda could bring him back and even in this episode she mentioned the still unseen Ralph. I doubt Ralph is like just some dude she wants to bring back, but resurrecting someone appears to be the reason behind this gambit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Teyonah Parris did.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-aerospace-engineer-teyonah-parris/

People seem pretty convinced that wasn’t meant to be the engineer anyway. A career soldier probably wouldn’t also be an aerospace engineer.

Edit: Plus there's that Bettany interview where he talks about an unrevealed character who is played by someone he has wanted to work with his whole life.

RE: that last one, I'm convinced Bettany's loving with the internet and we're getting good Vision vs Evil SWORD copy Vision. Basically, i think he's doing a real life version of that Futurama joke where Shatner said he got great performances from himself when he directed Star Trek V because he respected himself so much as an actor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I understand why people don't want there to be a clear-cut villain because this show's been cleverer and subtler than that, but, like... 3200 innocent civilians have been kidnapped and tortured. Someone has to be the baddie here; your choices at this point are that it's Wanda and she can never be an Avenger again, or it's someone else, and that someone else is going to have to be a bit obviously evil at this point so they can draw the blame.

And I realize that WandaVision is about grief and how people try to escape from it and ultimately what it costs to live with, but... this is still superheroes, and one of the genuinely great things about the genre is that it can be about that, but also that theme can get personified so that someone can punch it right in its stupid face.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CapnAndy posted:

I understand why people don't want there to be a clear-cut villain because this show's been cleverer and subtler than that, but, like... 3200 innocent civilians have been kidnapped and tortured. Someone has to be the baddie here; your choices at this point are that it's Wanda and she can never be an Avenger again, or it's someone else, and that someone else is going to have to be a bit obviously evil at this point so they can draw the blame.

And I realize that WandaVision is about grief and how people try to escape from it and ultimately what it costs to live with, but... this is still superheroes, and one of the genuinely great things about the genre is that it can be about that, but also that theme can get personified so that someone can punch it right in its stupid face.

The problem is, this doesn't actually absolve Wanda. She has been confronted with the truth of what she's doing, but still decided to continue it. Yes, she was distracted at some points, like by the arrival of Pietro, but it's still been multiple days where she has known that she is hurting all these people but still kept it going.

We might get some lip service about that but really, we all know that now that there's a "bad guy" Wanda will shoot lasers at the bad guy and will come out as the good guy. As you say, Wanda will punch the personification of dealing with grief poorly in the face, and everyone will be happy.

It sucks!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

so you're upset that she's being absolved, and also upset that she's not being absolved, and are now upset about the finale that hasn't happened.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Abroham Lincoln posted:

so you're upset that she's being absolved, and also upset that she's not being absolved, and are now upset about the finale that hasn't happened.

Yes, I'm upset that the show is going to effectively absolve her by moving the blame to the character who was literally designated the bad guy by a musical number. Which doesn't actually absolve her if you think about it, but it will still let her be an Avenger, which is the most important thing. And yeah, fair point, maybe the finale will surprise me. But considering that they have revealed that it's all because of a literal evil witch who lives in a literal dungeon, I feel pretty safe in assuming that the show is not going to dip into morally complex deep character work for the ending.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Gripweed posted:

Yes, I'm upset that the show is going to effectively absolve her by moving the blame to the character who was literally designated the bad guy by a musical number. Which doesn't actually absolve her if you think about it, but it will still let her be an Avenger, which is the most important thing. And yeah, fair point, maybe the finale will surprise me. But considering that they have revealed that it's all because of a literal evil witch who lives in a literal dungeon, I feel pretty safe in assuming that the show is not going to dip into morally complex deep character work for the ending.

I'm actually fine with it, if that is how it turns out. But I have a feeling it still isn't that simple.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It's very clear through the arc of the show that Wanda's actions are still her own and that she's being coerced and manipulated into performing them. Having a convenient patsy doesn't absolve a character of grief, it absolves her of a tired rear end sexist cliche of "grieving woman goes crazy!!" This is a character already built on repentance for mistakes and coping with trauma, in backstory and events through fighting the Avengers and losing control of her powers blowing up a bunch of people. Grief and trauma isn't some binary switch that's flipped and it's incredibly naive to think she's going to come out the other end bright-eyed and chipper.

And for the ending, using my gigantic brain and the power of the internet, I know that the events of this series flow into 2 movies, including one called Multiverse of Madness, which is very interesting considering the commercial in the episode for a Nexus pill. And so I think it's safe to hypothesize that events may not conclude so neatly in order to get me to purchase a ticket of admission to a future motion picture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Blame is going to get portioned out very carefully and I imagine we'll get more answers next week, but I expect the answer to be somewhere along the following: Wanda took Vision's corpse back justifiably, as SWORD were being dicks and experimenting on him in an attenpt to build more against his express wishes. She took the body off somewhere and attempted to bring him back, possibly by creating a little pocket reality where they could be together. Agatha hijacked it, turning it into the Hex and overwriting Westview. Wanda woke up to the nature of her new reality quicker than anyone else, but rather than attempt to escape or stop it, selfishly decided to take advantage. Since then, it's been an unconcious duel of wills, as Wanda tried to surf the wave to get everything she's ever wanted, and Agatha tried... whatever it is she wants that she's been doing all of this for.

That'll be her defining sin coming out of this, that she had the opportunity to do the right thing, and (perhaps understandably, but still wrongly) chose to live an idealized life with the man she loved instead. Wanda handled her grief badly and it led her to make some really wrong choices, but she still stays on this side of the "created Ultron" line of Heroes Doing Bad Things.