Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It is absolutely true that in all the modern disaster events that have happened people tend to come together and cooperate, but that is not always true in all situations. The one thing about these modern disasters is that it was a local thing and everybody knew that eventually help was coming from unaffected areas and things would eventually return to normal. People have every incentive to cooperate in such scenarios. In a situation like Sarajevo there are other factors that effect human psychology to bring people together, mainly being trapped in one place against an other that is arrayed against you and your neighbors. In an extreme situation things can be different. If there was an extremely strong solar flare that knocks out the entire continents power grid for years things look different. It is debatable whether that is even possible and what the chances are but for the sake of argument lets assume it did happen. At that point we exist on a continent that has several hundred million more people than it can support. People may come together at first, but it will not stay that way. It's unlikely it devolves into every man to himself, but further in to such a disaster the local group you've been cooperating with will be in competition for other groups close by for very limited resources.

The chances of that large of a disaster actually happening are slim. It probably isn't worth preparing for because no amount of preparation is going to get you through the entire thing and your just making yourself a big target, but there are (unlikely) situations when it does become every man/woman for themselves. Basic disaster preparedness is something everybody should be doing. Prepping has become a lifestyle and anybody who makes it their focus and talks loudly about it can be safely assumed to be an idiot. The people you don't know are preppers are probably the ones that are properly prepared and doing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

OwlFancier posted:

No that's totally a large amount of preppers, they hoard guns and ammo and are terrible at interpersonal relationships so their houses are basically just dungeons full of loot come the apocalypse for any semi-organized group of people.

People who just have to prepare for disasters because they live in tornadoland or whatever have already figured out what you need to hoard and it's not firearms.

A year or two ago I was like, "Huh, if there were a massive power outage here in NYC I'd be screwed, I wonder what I should do about that." And then after ten minutes of research I was like, "Oh, okay, people are lunatics and not actually interested in minimizing hardship, they're talking about barricading their apartments to keep away people who are coming after the supplies they do not have."

It turns out the very practical purchases of a hand-cranked radio/flashlight, some candles and matches, a couple gallons of water and a water filter, a sleeping bag, an extra high-capacity power bank, and some shelf-stable foods that I rotate as part of my regular grocery routine aren't anywhere near as exciting as guns and (in the city) machetes or whatever. (Jokes on them, though, I had several bandanas and dust masks ready when Covid hit.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/dougwiens/status/1362772663412920330

https://twitter.com/SatansJacuzzi/status/1362635522452119554

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1362616018661740544

https://twitter.com/mikescollins/status/1362586866743132161

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fake news.

They are absolutely dead by now.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Oh sweetie, I have some bad news... :smith:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tim Whatley posted:

Peppers are largely fat military cosplayers who only account for racist fantasy scenarios about the Chinese making the US dollar collapse and not actual survival scenarios

Don't talk about tasty vegetables like that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/appleciderwitch/status/1362882225461747715

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

D-Pad posted:

At that point we exist on a continent that has several hundred million more people than it can support.

gently caress off with this ecofascist bullshit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I didn’t read that wall of text but that starement is objectively incorrect

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/SheriffZard/status/1362247140232351744/photo/1

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I didn’t read that wall of text but that starement is objectively incorrect

I specifically said that in the case of power being off for the entire continent for several years. That means no fuel for farm equipment, so yes it's true.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Thank god somebody has it all figured out. I was worried for a minute.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
D-Pad was in the Texpol thread whining about how his wife won’t let him buy a bunch of prepper gear or several guns to defend their generator so that he can live out his mad max fantasy. Just so everyone knows who they’re dealing with.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/duttypaul/status/1362489470981988355

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

D-Pad posted:

It is absolutely true that in all the modern disaster events that have happened people tend to come together and cooperate, but that is not always true in all situations. The one thing about these modern disasters is that it was a local thing and everybody knew that eventually help was coming from unaffected areas and things would eventually return to normal. People have every incentive to cooperate in such scenarios. In a situation like Sarajevo there are other factors that effect human psychology to bring people together, mainly being trapped in one place against an other that is arrayed against you and your neighbors. In an extreme situation things can be different. If there was an extremely strong solar flare that knocks out the entire continents power grid for years things look different. It is debatable whether that is even possible and what the chances are but for the sake of argument lets assume it did happen. At that point we exist on a continent that has several hundred million more people than it can support. People may come together at first, but it will not stay that way. It's unlikely it devolves into every man to himself, but further in to such a disaster the local group you've been cooperating with will be in competition for other groups close by for very limited resources.

The chances of that large of a disaster actually happening are slim. It probably isn't worth preparing for because no amount of preparation is going to get you through the entire thing and your just making yourself a big target, but there are (unlikely) situations when it does become every man/woman for themselves. Basic disaster preparedness is something everybody should be doing. Prepping has become a lifestyle and anybody who makes it their focus and talks loudly about it can be safely assumed to be an idiot. The people you don't know are preppers are probably the ones that are properly prepared and doing it right.

This is stupid as hell, my dude. There is literally no situation where it's better to try and go it alone

oh but what if the solar flare blah blah bad news, you got caught in the rain once and got a flu and loving died because there was no one to bring you water. oh no you got scratched on the shoulder by a rusty nail and it's festering and killing you because you can't clean and treat it yourself. oh drat you tripped and twisted your ankle and now your prepper hoard is a giant loot crate for the next person who comes looking. oh hell you posted up with your wife and you're both socially isolated and developing cabin fever and there's a million guns everywhere. shut up

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Monkey posted:

D-Pad was in the Texpol thread whining about how his wife won’t let him buy a bunch of prepper gear or several guns to defend their generator so that he can live out his mad max fantasy. Just so everyone knows who they’re dealing with.

lol of loving course

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
as a species we love to cling to stories don't we. motherfuckers LOVE the walking dead etc. to the point where they think the fanfiction in their head is sober, cold light of day realism.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I can cultivate yeast and make beer and liquor. Let me in into your commune and I'll give you clean drinking water that also gets you buzzed. We can get wasted and laugh at all the solo weirdos who died in the first weeks of this poo poo and plan our rebuild.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
e: Wrong thread! But while I'm here, preppers are unhealthy dorks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

lol you weren't joking

D-Pad posted:

I can't even imagine how bad it would be if the whole state lost power for months. I'm using this to convince my wife to finally let me have some guns in the house "We have a generator. what do you think happens when the power has been out for weeks and we are one of the only people with one?"

it always comes back to fantasizing about murdering people at the drop of a hat

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

My doomsday fantasy is to die an hour before the disaster by pure coincidence. Like, slipping in the shower and banging my head just before the meteor is noticed.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Horace posted:

My doomsday fantasy is to die an hour before the disaster by pure coincidence. Like, slipping in the shower and banging my head just before the meteor is noticed.

:same:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

if you imagine the apocalypse being all about an endless slog of meetings building consensus with your idiot neighbors, you start having dark thoughts ok?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My doomsday fantasy is to be incinerated in the first nuclear blast, dying instantly and painlessly

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

To celebrate The Muppet Show reaching Gisnep+ in the UK

https://twitter.com/rajandelman/status/1174524168764895232?s=19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pththya-lyi posted:

My doomsday fantasy is to be incinerated in the first nuclear blast, dying instantly and painlessly

This is the way right here.

Most of us city dwellers will instead die painfully, making GBS threads out our guts as the radiation destroys our intestinal epithelium first, as clumps of hair and teeth fall out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

lol you weren't joking

lmao

imagine fantasizing about shooting people for daring to come near your precious electricity instead of welcoming in your neighbours so you can all get warm together

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why would you dream of living out your Mad Max fantasies when you could dream of living out your cottagecore fantasies?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

lmao

imagine fantasizing about shooting people for daring to come near your precious electricity instead of welcoming in your neighbours so you can all get warm together

You just know that if this dude's neighbour also had a generator he'd be over there either breaking it or stealing it to become the apocalypse generator king

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don’t have a clever way to say it because I’m not very clever but I also agree that that d-pad guy is stupid and even after reading all this consensus that he is dumb as wet cow poo poo he will still walk away thinking he is the smartest and his fantasy is real

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

Why would you dream of living out your Mad Max fantasies when you could dream of living out your cottagecore fantasies?

yeah, those people are the real post-society heroes.

I know of someone from high school who became ancap and while they constantly validate themselves as a community with their dumb beliefs, they don't really focus on any actual community building and im sure they would all turn on each other at the drop of a hat since they've all become apparent masters of self-sufficiency to own the illuminati-controlled government that only exists in their heads

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pththya-lyi posted:

Imma distill so much moonshine and trade it all over the valley for bread and weed and cheese. My wife will spin our alpaca fur into yarn and knit beaucoup sweaters and beanies so we can all survive the winter. My solar water purification diy kits will proliferate past many days' walk distance, as I teach people to build them from household scrap. My daughters' hands will grow callused from milking cows and pulling carrots, and then from playing guitar in the evenings as the sun closes in.

gently caress this life sounds fulfilling as hell.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh yeah, speaking of cottagecore:
https://twitter.com/cottaegecore/status/1361796706245951489?s=20

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

:same: There is no way I'd want to deal with my gently caress up of a body in the apocalypse. Y'all have fun out there

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

Imma distill so much moonshine and trade it all over the valley for bread and weed and cheese. My wife will spin our alpaca fur into yarn and knit beaucoup sweaters and beanies so we can all survive the winter. My solar water purification diy kits will proliferate past many days' walk distance, as I teach people to build them from household scrap. My daughters' hands will grow callused from milking cows and pulling carrots, and then from playing guitar in the evenings as the sun closes in.

gently caress this life sounds fulfilling as hell.

I mean you can do all of that now with the added bonus of not dying because the cow trod on your foot and the wound got infected. I grow vegetables and trade stuff I've grown with my neighbours all the time and play all kinds of poo poo as the sun goes down and I'm building an aeolian harp from some old pipes and fishing line, you can just do things, don't wait for the world to end

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/StrangeCoisas/status/1362933496713519107

https://twitter.com/adoptedhighway/status/1362867798674964491

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/badtakeblake/status/1362650998439776259?s=19

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

pentyne posted:

lol you weren't joking

Lol D-Pad you’re a loving maniac maybe don’t fantasize about killing people why don’t ya

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Lol D-Pad you’re a loving maniac maybe don’t fantasize about killing people why don’t ya

Doesn't he know that if you buy a pistol to defend Genny you're going to end up with water in all your cartridges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A great fictional book that goes into the struggles and benefits of a community post-nuclear attack is Alas, Babylon. I read it years ago and there are some parts of it that still come to mind.