Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Hot diggity drat. You're my hero. Now I just gotta get around the region lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Decades posted:

Woah apparently Moxley is on the Bloodsport card tomorrow? Barnett's about to get my money.

I've only really seen Barnett vs Suzuki, which I thought was rad. Was Bloodsport 4 good?

I was inspired by this post to watch Barnett/Suzuki, having never seen boodsport before and my first thought was "Oh my those people are very close, and there's so many of them!". It's so jarring to watch this stuff while I still have quarantine-brain (obviously this is pre-restrictions, but I still didn't anticipate how out of place it should seem).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

XeeD posted:

You can sign up for Peacock (the freebie version), and watch the entire episode (3/18/00).

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

XeeD posted:

VPN.

Otherwise, hope that the region lock is similar to most region locks on SNL videos and randomly gets removed for a while before being put on again.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
This is my favorite chokeslam of all time from Big Show/The Giant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKABblKDu-4

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nick Jr. Face posted:

This is my favorite chokeslam of all time from Big Show/The Giant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKABblKDu-4

I prefer the one where he kersplats Ric Flair for his first belt. It helps that you have Woman and Liz freaking the gently caress out, because they know Flair is toast.

Come to think of it, Flair was often a good opponent for Show.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I was wondering if most of the matches on AEW PPVs were unique matches that werent previously shown on Dynamites. It seems like they wouldn't be...but maybe they are?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Okay so WWE famously fired CM Punk on his wedding day and they're scummy motherfuckers that knew when and where to twist the knife for maximum emotional distress.

But why exactly was Punk so bothered by this? He's claimed that after leaving he had no intention of returning to WWE or wrestling ever again. Surely when he walked out in January he must have known that was it.

Was he expecting WWE to yield and have him back?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Punk is an odd cat. In his RF shoot Hornswoggle tells the story of how he used to ride with Punk and by all accounts though they were friends until one time Swoggle asked for somebody's phone number and Punk decided that Hornswoggle was using him and froze him out. I don't even think he and Cabana are friends anymore, although admittedly that might be Cabana's doing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TV Zombie posted:

I was wondering if most of the matches on AEW PPVs were unique matches that werent previously shown on Dynamites. It seems like they wouldn't be...but maybe they are?

So looking at the six pay per views AEW have done or planned since Dynamite started:

Full Gear 2019: one Dynamite rematch (Page vs PAC).

Revolution 2020: no rematches

Double Or Nothing 2020: one Dynamite rematch (MJF vs Jungle Boy)

All Out 2020: two Dynamite rematches (Sammy vs Hardy, Jericho vs Cassidy)

Full Gear 2020: three Dynamite rematches (Darby vs Cody, Sammy vs Hardy, Mox vs Kingston) plus one PPV rematch (Shida vs Nyla)

Revolution 2021 (based on what's booked so far) one confirmed Dynamite rematch (Kenny vs Mox) potentially a second depending on who wins the women's tournament and faces Shida.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Okay so WWE famously fired CM Punk on his wedding day and they're scummy motherfuckers that knew when and where to twist the knife for maximum emotional distress.

But why exactly was Punk so bothered by this? He's claimed that after leaving he had no intention of returning to WWE or wrestling ever again. Surely when he walked out in January he must have known that was it.

According to Punk HHH called him a couple days prior wanting to talk. Punk said he was about to get married and he would have all the time in the world to talk after he was back from his honeymoon. This was after months of phone calls trying to get his merch money after they refused to send him a check.

So instead of waiting another couple weeks they specifically Fedexed his termination so it would arrive on his wedding day. Vince can deny that all he wants but they absolutely did it.

He probably knew he was done, but they were still loving around with his money and he presumably wanted that taken care of first. That combined with the company being purposefully spiteful probably pissed him off to no end and Punk doesn't handle grudges well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, based on the way he talked about it, I'd assumed it was more about the principle of it, rather than the fact that he got fired. It was always a matter of time that he'd get his termination papers, but to do it in a way that, even in a small way, ruins what should be one of the best days of his and AJ's lives is some next-level petty poo poo.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lamuella posted:

So looking at the six pay per views AEW have done or planned since Dynamite started:

Full Gear 2019: one Dynamite rematch (Page vs PAC).

Revolution 2020: no rematches

Double Or Nothing 2020: one Dynamite rematch (MJF vs Jungle Boy)

All Out 2020: two Dynamite rematches (Sammy vs Hardy, Jericho vs Cassidy)

Full Gear 2020: three Dynamite rematches (Darby vs Cody, Sammy vs Hardy, Mox vs Kingston) plus one PPV rematch (Shida vs Nyla)

Revolution 2021 (based on what's booked so far) one confirmed Dynamite rematch (Kenny vs Mox) potentially a second depending on who wins the women's tournament and faces Shida.

And how many of those are different gimmicks or title matches? AEW is nowhere near as terrible about repeated matches month after month.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kvantum posted:

And how many of those are different gimmicks or title matches? AEW is nowhere near as terrible about repeated matches month after month.

i think their point is that it's very few rematches instead of a lot of rematches

or at the very least 'aew gives a lot of ppv-quality matches away on dynamite'

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hedgehog Pie posted:

- Turns heel by forming a tag team with The Undertaker, which is mostly notable for Paul Bearer driving them out into the desert and Undertaker having a motorbike and Big Show also maybe having a motorbike so Undertaker can bury Big Show up to his neck in the sand and Big Show said gently caress you or something and this was all a test to see if Big Show had what it took to be a dead man so Undertaker went back with his motorbike and

Hahahahaha

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That promo really does sound insane no matter how many times you hear it.

Big Show came out of the desert with a snake for a neck tie...

Then I guess Undertaker went back in the desert and turned snakes into those weird pants he wore a few years later.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does everyone else assume big show was bollock naked apart from his snakeskin tie and boots or is that just me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

That promo really does sound insane no matter how many times you hear it.

Big Show came out of the desert with a snake for a neck tie...

Then I guess Undertaker went back in the desert and turned snakes into those weird pants he wore a few years later.

please, you're underselling it

he came out of the desert with lizard boots and a snake necktie

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

jesus WEP posted:

does everyone else assume big show was bollock naked apart from his snakeskin tie and boots or is that just me

donkey kongin' it

that promo always felt like Taker trying to do a Hulk Hogan style promo to me

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Funny story about that terrible neverending promo: I got all my wisdom teeth out the week this segment aired, so I was all doped up on prescription painkillers, and I had set my VCR to record all the wrestling that aired during the week. So Taker gets in the ring and starts saying some weird poo poo about motorcycles, and I doze off from the loopiness of the meds. I woke up several hours later, it's dark outside, and Taker's still in the ring rambling about riding his bike out to the desert.

I later figured out that my VHS tape ran all the way to the end, rewound, then auto-played again, and I just happened to wake up during the exact same scene, give or take a couple minutes. But from my drug-addled post-surgery perspective, the Undertaker came to the ring and rambled for several hours about this time he buried the Big Show up to his neck in the desert. So however long it felt like that promo was for you, it was about the length of 3 Raws as far as I knew.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Psycho Mantits posted:

Question for you guys: which Bloodsport card is generally considered the best? My roommate was big into combat sports for a while, and though she doesn't like pro wrestling at all she tries to keep an open mind since she knows how big a fan I am; thus I figured Bloodsport would be right up her alley.
It's absolutely Jersey City/Barnett 1. The friends of Josh bookings overdelivered in a big way, everything that looked good on paper delivered big, it has three different Japanese imports, and even with the restrictions of the style, every match was different. Thatcher-Hideki Suzuki was more Muga/'70s-style, Barnett-Minoru Suzuki was more NJPW vs. UWF style, Gresham-Takeda was a wild style clash, Smith-Kross was a straight up UWF style match, etc.

All of the Bloodsport shows have been at least good, but this show is the gem of the series so far. (Also: Matt Riddle's Bloodsport was less overtly shootstyle-centric, but still an absolute blast. It was best for the weird style clashes like WALTER-Tom Lawlor and Thatcher-Nick Gage.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

It's absolutely Jersey City/Barnett 1. The friends of Josh bookings overdelivered in a big way, everything that looked good on paper delivered big, it has three different Japanese imports, and even with the restrictions of the style, every match was different. Thatcher-Hideki Suzuki was more Muga/'70s-style, Barnett-Minoru Suzuki was more NJPW vs. UWF style, Gresham-Takeda was a wild style clash, Smith-Kross was a straight up UWF style match, etc.

All of the Bloodsport shows have been at least good, but this show is the gem of the series so far. (Also: Matt Riddle's Bloodsport was less overtly shootstyle-centric, but still an absolute blast. It was best for the weird style clashes like WALTER-Tom Lawlor and Thatcher-Nick Gage.)

im so mad i didn't get to go to any of those White Eagle Hall shows

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Alaois posted:

please, you're underselling it

he came out of the desert with lizard boots and a snake necktie

and carrying the motorcycle on his back

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

As others have said, it was the principle of the thing, especially since they knew about the wedding date, he and Paul Levesque had just made plans to talk when he got back from his honeymoon, AND his contract was up a month later. It was obviously their intent to gently caress with him further after loving with his money for 5 months. (It really should be stressed more that they tried to steal what he implied was millions of dollars from him.)

Dawgstar posted:

Punk is an odd cat. In his RF shoot Hornswoggle tells the story of how he used to ride with Punk and by all accounts though they were friends until one time Swoggle asked for somebody's phone number and Punk decided that Hornswoggle was using him and froze him out. I don't even think he and Cabana are friends anymore, although admittedly that might be Cabana's doing.
I believe the Swoggle story was after Punk retired, and according to Swoggle, he had gotten a new phone and needed a mutual friend's number, so he asked Punk. This led to random Reddit users claiming that Swoggle was trying to get Hayley Williams' number to creep on her, but I've never seen an actual source for that and have always assumed it was false.

Punk randomly deciding that Cabana was using him was, as best as I can tell, also what happened with them. Someone (Punk? A teammate at Roufusport?) had started a rumor that Colt went backstage at a WWE show in Chicago while Amann's lawsuit against the two of them was pending, but he's always sworn that it was made-up bullshit and I've never seen any reason to doubt him. (When Cabana sued Punk, Punk never claimed that this happened, either.) All of Punk's filings in the case that I've seen were to try to get the Cabana lawsuit thrown out on procedural grounds, so we don't have his side, but from what Cabana put into evidence, it reads like Punk freaked out when he got a legal bill in the mid six figure range and the sticker shock led to him disowning his best friend/co-defendant.

If you didn't keep up with the lawsuit over the legal fees from the Amann case, this article that I wrote summarizes the things you need to know with links to the court records: https://deadspin.com/cm-punk-got-back-into-the-ring-but-does-he-want-back-i-1834286922

The very short version is that it looks like Punk got sticker shock, blamed Cabana, and decided to stop coverage their entire defense...even though the retainer they signed explicitly stated that both were formally clients even though Punk was solely responsible for payment. Then, when Cabana was ready to substitute new counsel for himself, Punk's lawyer, for some reason, decided to tell Cabana that they could keep the existing arrangement going. Months later, Punk's lawyer sent Cabana a letter dropping him as a client without explaining why; it specified there was no conflict of interest, but Punk's lawyers would later claim there was without specifying anything.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I'm gonna hope I'm wording this right, has there ever been a wrestler that when you see them compete you can never suspend your disbelief that they can actually win?

Not someone with an underdog gimmick or is small or that kind of thing so let me give my example.

Road Dogg.

He doesn't look fit. He doesn't do awesome moves. He's not put over as fast, strong, technical, or extremely tough. He just looks like some guy out there and I can't buy that he can beat any of these wrestlers in a fight

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Thanks. Given how I feel like there are fresh matchups every ppv, I figured that couldn't be the case given the roster size.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

TheKingslayer posted:

So I'm gonna hope I'm wording this right, has there ever been a wrestler that when you see them compete you can never suspend your disbelief that they can actually win?

Not someone with an underdog gimmick or is small or that kind of thing so let me give my example.

Road Dogg.

He doesn't look fit. He doesn't do awesome moves. He's not put over as fast, strong, technical, or extremely tough. He just looks like some guy out there and I can't buy that he can beat any of these wrestlers in a fight

Eddie Kingston gives me this feeling.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

TheKingslayer posted:

Road Dogg.

Marco Stunt 100%. He's too small and doesn't really do enough cool stuff or flips to make me think he can possibly damage any of his opponents. Thankfully AEW doesn't really book him in a way to where you're supposed to believe he can beat bigger wrestlers.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Marco Stunt 100%. He's too small and doesn't really do enough cool stuff or flips to make me think he can possibly damage any of his opponents. Thankfully AEW doesn't really book him in a way to where you're supposed to believe he can beat bigger wrestlers.

Basically with Marko him getting in any offense at all feels like a victory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can at least buy Marko Stunt as a novelty part of Jurassic Express who picks his spots and then perhaps snags a surprise rollup, but the trick with Stunt is that they never push him beyond his station. There's a certain crop of wrestlers who always get booked above their ability because they're marketable. So their strikes always look too weak and/or the bigger & faster opponents slow down to wait to take their move, or have to oversell to make it look credible. The Riho/Nyla Rose feud in AEW made me feel that way. It just didn't feel like Riho could realistically beat her, where I could totally buy Shida winning.

Sexy Star had several matches in Lucha Underground that stretched credibility too. Her strikes were OK but her opponents, especially in intergender matches, had to slow down to take her athletic moves. By contrast, I always bought Ivelisse as a credible threat to the men, and I wish they'd made her the champion instead.

Koskinator posted:

Eddie Kingston gives me this feeling.
I feel the same but for a more personal reason. He looks and acts exactly like every rear end in a top hat kid I went to high school with who tried to act like a "wrong side of the tracks" tough guy bully but never actually followed through. They were always all talk and never got into fights. I'm sure he's talented, but I can't shake that image.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sticklefifer posted:

booked above their ability

What.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

new to sticklefifer posts, huh

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

because of the large amount of behind the scenes footage available, brandon cutler seems like someone who would feel extremely bad and need to take some time off if they hit another person

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

I feel the same but for a more personal reason. He looks and acts exactly like every rear end in a top hat kid I went to high school with who tried to act like a "wrong side of the tracks" tough guy bully but never actually followed through. They were always all talk and never got into fights.

That's pretty much describing CM Punk, except Punk decided to add "Muay Thai Expert" to the gimmick, so he's like every school yard kid who said they took karate and had learned the secret "death punch" so don't mess with them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get that she's been in the business for a long time, but her offense always looks weak to me.

Alaois posted:

new to sticklefifer posts, huh
Oh cool, I have a reputation for hot takes with <checks notes> Alaois

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ok brian last

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
ok I don't know who that is or who you are

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's a strange complaint coming off a match where Riho put her feet through Serena Deeb's ribcage

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

DeathChicken posted:

It's a strange complaint coming off a match where Riho put her feet through Serena Deeb's ribcage

Both directions in different spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was talking specifically about her strikes and her feud with Nyla, so it's not strange at all.

edit: lol I watched the Riho/Deeb match after posting this, and the commentary even brings up several times that she's 98lbs so strikes aren't her forte.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 27, 2021