Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

If you were building a house, what would you do to make it the best possible house - not just build quality and materials, but layout or design?

Like This Old House, but your budget is $500,000 and you're not necessarily chasing tHe LaTeSt TeCh.

Hire an architect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Built in Funkopop display shelves

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

SpartanIvy posted:

Built in Funkopop display shelves
Ahh, the beanie babies of the '010's

Motronic posted:

Hire an architect.
And walk through a billion other houses and note down things you like and things you don't like. Also is $500k supposed to be a lot? It doesn't sound like it would be for a custom place.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

unlimited shrimp posted:

If you were building a house, what would you do to make it the best possible house - not just build quality and materials, but layout or design?

Like This Old House, but your budget is $500,000 and you're not necessarily chasing tHe LaTeSt TeCh.
Hire a good architect whose work you have seen and whose work you like. The same for a contractor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Also is $500k supposed to be a lot? It doesn't sound like it would be for a custom place.

Yeah, that's barely into custom home territory, which is why the architect would be pretty key to getting what you want. Mostly to control costs.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Y'all suck at daydreaming.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

unlimited shrimp posted:

Y'all suck at daydreaming.

It's incredibly person specific. What do you want in a house?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I'd need to add another zero to get to daydream stupid stuff (indoor pool, volleyball court, excessive yards with people caring for them)

Anything under that is just more poo poo to dust and vacuum.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

It's incredibly person specific. What do you want in a house?

Distinct rooms in an arts & crafts-style home. Lots of wood. But a more modern basement for the kiddos to have friends over and hang out in.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

unlimited shrimp posted:

Distinct rooms in an arts & crafts-style home. Lots of wood. But a more modern basement for the kiddos to have friends over and hang out in.

Do you mean "Craftsman" style? Because I'm with you there, I love that style. Actually worked as a IT person for a design build firm in town.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm just curious: do you feel that the $500,000 figure is more or less expensive than what you see on This Old House these days?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
For $500k you could probably get a 2000 square foot custom home with decent quality. A Craftsman-style home with nice period-appearing woodwoork? I think you're probably looking at $400 per square foot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I think part of this is - if it's truly just day dreaming that's fine and we can all play lottery winner, the confusion perhaps was us thinking you were serious and wanted to build a house. In which case you call an architect and start talking because it's the only way to be sure. There is a good building their dream house in Vermont right now, check out their website. (I forget where it is.) For example, if you said "I want an amazing craftsman style home in Los Angeles / Orange County, California" I would say call up these guys: https://www.hartmanbaldwin.com/service-area/ - for "only" $500k you're going to need a shell to gut and renovate, and you won't be getting the $LOL cabinet hardware Tezer was mentioning.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Sirotan posted:

I'm just curious: do you feel that the $500,000 figure is more or less expensive than what you see on This Old House these days?
What is the $500K going to be spent on? If the $500K buys the land for the house--that is going to be a major impact. Also depends on the market. In our area $500K builds a pretty large house. $40K to $50K in site prep--clearing, well, septic, foundation prep, and driveway. $350K in to the actual home gets you a 5,000sqft home with 2/3rds finished space. And then another $100K or so in landscaping. (In our area, people tend to care more about the outside living areas.)

One thing of note--costs of materials have skyrocketed in the last year. And there can be some scarcity of items--like lumber. Although it has been getting much better.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 20, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

For $500k you could probably get a 2000 square foot custom home with decent quality.

Right.....decent. Not great. And without the lot. And the lot better already have utilities, etc.

Hardly a number to "daydream" about in the context of a custom home, which is what I was getting at.

$500k reno budget on the right place? That could be interesting.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

I think part of this is - if it's truly just day dreaming that's fine and we can all play lottery winner, the confusion perhaps was us thinking you were serious and wanted to build a house. In which case you call an architect and start talking because it's the only way to be sure. There is a good building their dream house in Vermont right now, check out their website. (I forget where it is.)

http://www.vtwoods.life/

quote:

For example, if you said "I want an amazing craftsman style home in Los Angeles / Orange County, California" I would say call up these guys: https://www.hartmanbaldwin.com/service-area/ - for "only" $500k you're going to need a shell to gut and renovate, and you won't be getting the $LOL cabinet hardware Tezer was mentioning.

All I'm saying is, I know how to spend money. I'm very good at it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have been j/o to Rehab Addict lately if you like mostly period Craftsman renos

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Kind of related... what do you think provides the most sticker shock for new builds compared to what people have in their heads ?

For example I was amazed when I first shopped for faucets and plumbing fixtures how $TEXAS nice ones are. Almost an order of magnitude more than what I expected.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Do you mean "Craftsman" style? Because I'm with you there, I love that style. Actually worked as a IT person for a design build firm in town.

Probably, unless they're distinct things. I don't know much about architecture but this blog/site called it "Arts & Crafts":
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/ArtsandCrafts.htm

And that led me to this site:
https://homepatterns.com/

And that got me to daydreaming instead of working.

Sirotan posted:

I don't get to watch it :(
I just remember posters ITT (I think) complaining about how they used to show renos of middleclass homes and nowadays it's big budget renos in more wealthy/aspirational properties.

I guess the better question would have been, "What would your dream house look like if you had a half-acre lot, an architect brother, and a modest budget?"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Kind of related... what do you think provides the most sticker shock for new builds compared to what people have in their heads ?

For example I was amazed when I first shopped for faucets and plumbing fixtures how $TEXAS nice ones are. Almost an order of magnitude more than what I expected.

There's a spate of people trying to buy property out in the country.......

These people don't realize it can cost 6 figures to get power to their home, and another 6 to put in a well and septic. They don't realize they have no leagal access to the land they just bought, etc.

Site prep is another potentially huge number. So is paving (or even prep and stone) for long driveways in places like this.

Appliances and finishes? Pshaw.....you can buy cheaper ones. You can't NOT do that other stuff. You just don't have a choice.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

unlimited shrimp posted:

I guess the better question would have been, "What would your dream house look like if you had a half-acre lot, an architect brother, and a modest budget?"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

unlimited shrimp posted:

Probably, unless they're distinct things. I don't know much about architecture but this blog/site called it "Arts & Crafts":
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/ArtsandCrafts.htm

Ah, neat. That's a different style from "craftsman" but it seems to have some similar elements. They look pretty. For me a detached ADU would be the dream, I'm sort of living it right now but there is no plumbing out here. Big kitchen, lots of storage, and N+1 bathrooms to people who live there, and my bedroom on the opposite side of the house from the kids. Craftsman style but with all modern windows and comforts - AC/Heat full variable, solar power, good thermal properties, hepa filtration to keep the dust down, the whole nine yards.

Tezer posted:

http://www.vtwoods.life/

All I'm saying is, I know how to spend money. I'm very good at it.

I've flipped through those catalogs before and holy cow, budgets need not apply. I picked up some like $150? $250? shower heads from a "overstock garage sale" from one of those HGTV renovation shows, $20 for 2, and they look very nice. I would never pay retail for them though. They're just bog standard shower heads, single setting, literally nothing special other than brand. I worked in an office space next door to a GC who did a house on one of those shows, he said you just bought a bunch of extras of everything because you never knew what they would actually use and if you ever missed a deadline you would never get another house again from them. There were these $1000 things where it was a handheld shower that laid in a cradle on top of the tub filler/faucet thing as well. About as controversial as a pot filler above a stove as far as usefulness.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Somebody tell - he has a problem with the images in his blog post?

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 20, 2021

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

Somebody tell <snip> he has a problem with the images in his blog post?

I just emailed/pm'd him. Good catch.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Right.....decent. Not great. And without the lot. And the lot better already have utilities, etc.

Hardly a number to "daydream" about in the context of a custom home, which is what I was getting at.

Exactly my point, yeah. $250 a square foot gets you something decent -- better than the "luxury townhouses" and stuff popping up, and nothing to sneeze at, at twice the average square foot cost. But it probably wouldn't even get you the overall construction level of my very unremarkable 1924 Colonial Revival (even excluding the exterior, as Wissahickon Schist veneer is Not Cheap). If I were building new I'd want to hit $400-500 per square foot.

Totally agreed on how amazing that budget could be with, say, one of the Old Victorians In A Dying Midwestern Town. Especially with someone handy, which I decidedly am not.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It depends quite a bit on location for costs. Around here, much of what my fairly high-end (building houses for doctors and lawyers, but maybe not multi/ten millionaires) architect friend does is $225-300/sq ft. on an existing lot with pre-existing services etc. That's a very nice house with real hardwood floors and good doors/windows, fairly high-end but maybe not tip-top of the line hardware/fixtures/appliances/cabinets, nice mouldings etc. We're in a warm, hurricane prone area so some costs are higher, but we don't have to deal with tons of insulation or fancy heating considerations, and very few houses have basements, which all saves a bit vs colder climates.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'll put the practicalities that other people said to the side and actually engage with the idea:

For me, I'd want a house modeled after one of my favorite houses growing up, which was a passively heated/cooled place that had a greenhouse along the side of the house. It had open wood slat floors connecting the main room to the greenhouse and the piping ran along the top of the greenhouse alongside some solar panels.

In the middle of a Wyoming winter that place was nice and cozy and had fresh air because of the plants in the greenroom with very minimal extra heating or cooling needed just because it was built right and I've always wanted a place like it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'd start with something like this and have an architect update it.

https://www.antiquehomestyle.com/plans/wilson/10wilson-573.htm

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

You had me until bathroom master closet. Knock that off, nobody wants a closet that they have to go through the bathroom so they can retrieve wet, poo poo-smelling clothes.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

What are folks thoughts on humidifiers? We are working with an architect on a whole house remodel, and met with an HVAC contractor today to look at our current setup and inform options moving forward. The option to add a humidifier onto the forced air system was brought up.

We live in a pretty dry climate in that humidity is very low
when it’s not storming, and storms tend to be only in the winter (Sierras). When we first moved here I felt like I was on the verge of a nose bleed every day for like 6 months, but since then have adjusted and it feels normal. I do feel like I need some bedside water a bit more often than I did before the move, but that’s about it in terms of me noticing the dryness.

Are there benefits I might not immediately see here? I’m sure it would be nice for shorter term visitors, which I’d love to have a lot of once the pandemic is over, but want to understand what other advantages there might be to justify the added costs.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

You had me until bathroom master closet. Knock that off, nobody wants a closet that they have to go through the bathroom so they can retrieve wet, poo poo-smelling clothes.

Our house is laid out like this. I like it because I wake up about an hr before my wife so I can get ready without turning the lights on in the bedroom. Just keep the door closed between the closet and bathroom and it’s fine. Also our master bathroom has a separate room for the toilet.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

DaveSauce posted:

Rando plan.

But counter point (e:fb!) --if you have two people using the master bedroom, one person can stay soundly sleeping while the other is getting ready for work. Between 120sqft bath and the shitter being in a water closet, you aren't going to have moisture or pooh smells to worry about. And think dressing room instead of closet. If was going to build that--I'd want to figure out how to steal space from the storage area to make dressing room big enough to hold a center island (which means 13' of width if your doing a shared closet) and have easy access to the laundry room without having to go through the master bedroom. And if you are making closet big enough for a center island--make sure there is a built in bench.

Alternate design--easy to change the door area to a traditional corner with two doors. Move the bathroom door away from the corner and closer to the WC so whoever wakes up in the middle of the night to pee has a shorter distance to cover.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Steve French posted:

What are folks thoughts on humidifiers? We are working with an architect on a whole house remodel, and met with an HVAC contractor today to look at our current setup and inform options moving forward. The option to add a humidifier onto the forced air system was brought up.

We live in a pretty dry climate in that humidity is very low
when it’s not storming, and storms tend to be only in the winter (Sierras). When we first moved here I felt like I was on the verge of a nose bleed every day for like 6 months, but since then have adjusted and it feels normal. I do feel like I need some bedside water a bit more often than I did before the move, but that’s about it in terms of me noticing the dryness.

Are there benefits I might not immediately see here? I’m sure it would be nice for shorter term visitors, which I’d love to have a lot of once the pandemic is over, but want to understand what other advantages there might be to justify the added costs.

We've got one on our system. In NJ it's used only in the winter since the summers are humid. I think the upsides are that it's more comfortable to live with 40% humidity to avoid scratchy skin and chapped lips. The downsides for us are that it drips water down a pad and the hard water here clogs the pad up with white mineral crust so it needs to be switched out fairly often (twice a year, but since it's only used in the cold I only change it in the Fall usually). The water flows through the pad and then is piped out to the condensate pump that usually empties the condensation from the heating oil combustion through a tube in the wall (same opening in the wall that the AC lines travel through). The last couple of winters have been cold enough for that small tube to freeze outdoors and the pump's reservoir has overflowed making me need to get a little tube on there to pump it into a container I usually use for a dehumidifier in the summer which is actually happening right now. I'm sure the humidifier add to the amount of water I have to empty out but it's maybe 3 gallons a day so it's not too bad. I've had the dehumidifier collect more than that in a day before.

Anyway small nuisance issues aside, I think it's worthwhile. It's probably not only beneficial for humans but also all of the materials in the house that might prefer to not have extremely low humidity over time like wood.

edit: there's a lot of articles online about low humidity affecting hardwood floors that are possibly relevant. The humidifier units themselves are under $200 but the install will include plumbing a little water line to it and making sure it can drain to something so I'm sure that all adds to the cost.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 20, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

two words: central vacuum

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I mean at that point might as well add a goofy pneumatic tube system while you're at it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean at that point might as well add a goofy pneumatic tube system while you're at it

They literally just suggested that.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

Just to put it out there, My renovation in total consisted of approximately 1700 feet and included structural changes + underpinning, creating a bathroom out of nowhere on a slab foundation, replacement of the main and subpanel, decent custom finishes (but not excessive), along with:

- kitchen remodeled with custom european-style cabinets and a top of the line range, with quartz countertops and a center island
- four bedrooms remodeled, including two masters
- three bathrooms remodeled, including two custom showers
- installation of a Mitsubishi mini-split HVAC system with 6 total zones

And the total cost ended up being about $310,000 (This is low for the region, and I've now realized I've made out pretty well on the whole project). So with $500k you can do a lot if you get the right sort of place.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Would you mind sharing what region that is or what the average home value is? Be nice to get an idea what the cost of living is where you did that project.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'd start with something like this and have an architect update it.

https://www.antiquehomestyle.com/plans/wilson/10wilson-573.htm

That's a lovely exterior. Interior-wise, move the dining room into the den, put the kitchen where the dining room was, and move the third bedroom to the back of the house. Add a second bath somewhere and that's the perfect house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I wish there was a robot vacuum that docked with a central vac system. And enough great things can't be said about toe kick sweeps.