Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Such a great movie. There's an infamous scene where Herzog listens on headphones to a recording of the fatal attack. Treadwell was always ready to record and someone, either him or his girlfriend turned on one of the video cameras but didn't take the lens cap off, so it recorded the audio only. After Herzog listens to it, he dramatically tells the woman who has it to never listen to it. Of course, this left viewers wanting to know what happened. Turns out she has let other people listen to it, including this guy, a grizzly expert who describes what you hear and speculates about what was happening:

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

As you might suspect, it's pretty goddamned awful.

They were just so loving dumb i even find it kinda cruel people came and killed the bears afterwards but I guess you don't want bears out there which know people are a viable food source

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I ordered a kukri I am excited to get my first ever package from Nepal in probably 3 or 4 months. I think this knife will be the last piece of gear I need to make my season 8 Alone bid the other 9 items I am taking are all tarps and sleeping bags I am planning on just laying on the ground for 3 months and trusting my several hundred pounds of body fat to carry me to victory.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

hemale in pain posted:

They were just so loving dumb i even find it kinda cruel people came and killed the bears afterwards but I guess you don't want bears out there which know people are a viable food source

Cops just unloading on a suspicious brown male who they swear was stalking them? Impossible.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

From the longer description in that article, the bears they killed weren't killed because they had eaten a human but because they were in the process of stalking the humans who were there and thus they were in immediate danger.

Could be a convenient explanation after the fact, but it doesn't sound like that from my read.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yeah, I have to emphasize, we were in cabins and this was a black bear, and not even a particularly big one at that. The presence of the tracking collar likely indicated that he had already become used to people and was a "problem" bear. I think he had to have come around before, either that or that girl really did have balls. It was hilarious. The bear didn't scurry off like it was scared, it just sort of turned around and slowly loped off like, "Ok, I'm going, I'm going."
Black bears aren't exactly fearless predators as a general rule. Never ever mess with a mama with cubs but they seem easily run off by like, cats and small dogs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
black bears are basically large raccoons.

but I mean, a raccoon could gently caress you up some if it wanted to.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Walrus posted:

black bears are basically large raccoons.

but I mean, a raccoon could gently caress you up some if it wanted to.

Particularly if it's a 300 lb raccoon that apparently doesn't appreciate being photographed.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hiker-took-photo-bear-it-killed-him-n257276

hemale in pain posted:

Assuming the descriptions of the shootings are accurate, they didn't have much of a choice. But that points to Treadwell's ultimate failure, and one he had been warned about. His actions caused the death of those two bears.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 19, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

From the longer description in that article, the bears they killed weren't killed because they had eaten a human but because they were in the process of stalking the humans who were there and thus they were in immediate danger.

Could be a convenient explanation after the fact, but it doesn't sound like that from my read.

Ah I must of skimmed that bit.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020
I don’t know how to deal with this bear problem

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1258348

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

Ah I must of skimmed that bit.

Yeah, they managed to scare off one bear that followed two of them back to the plane by getting up on one of the floats and making a bunch of noise. That, at least to me, lends credence to their story. If they killed the other two because they had eaten people, they would have killed that one too and just included it in their cover story, not let it run off.

The part that gets lost, I think, is just how quickly things went down. When the plane landed, the bear that killed the two people was still at the camp and the rescue party only knew one victim was dead for sure. It was certainly possible that Huguenard had either run off and was hiding nearby or had been mauled but was alive and just not making noise somewhere out of sight.

By the time they realized there was no one to save, a confrontation with the bear that killed the two victims was going to happen, if for no other reason than the rescuers were trying to take away the bodies it was trying to eat, and it possibly would have attacked no matter what even if they had retreated and left the bear to its own devices.

Whether the second bear they killed was actually being aggressive or whether their experience with the first bear colored their perception of its actions and it was just scoping out the area and wouldn't have attacked is unknowable, but I don't blame them for shooting it. Treadwell's actions put the rescuers in a position where they had to make a split second call on that, and so if there's any blame to be handed out, it's all on him. He killed that bear as surely as if the gun was in his own hand.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I've always been taught that avoiding acclimating wild animals to humans is as much for their safety as ours, if not even more so. You can love and respect bears all you want, but it's safest for the bears if they don't get used to humans being friendly, because even in the best case scenario that leads to them approaching humans that aren't so friendly.

In my general area there are wild turkeys and one in particular figured out how to interact with humans as a young year-old bird, made worse by the fact people would feed him french fries and stuff from the local fast food place. He started shaking people down for fries and people thought it was cute, like, he'd literally chase cars. Then he got bigger and more aggressive and suddenly it was less cute to have this dude following you around gobbling for a handout or so help you god.

Anyway he got put down.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I lived and worked in Alaska for 6 years (2006-2012) at a remote mining site. I saw shitloads of black bears and a not small number of brown bears also. Some sort of anecdotal and imparted local wisdom poo poo from my experiences:

1. If you're in or near camp and see a medium sized black bear you get out your camera because maybe it'll do something cute. Unless it has cubs, then you do 2.
2. If you're in or near camp and see a medium sized brown bear you immediately start running in the opposite direction for the nearest (hopefully) bear proof structure.
3. If you're planning on carrying a gun to defend yourself from a bear it better at least be a 44 magnum because if you shoot a bear with a 45 or a 9mm you're just going to piss it off while it's eating you. Better than a 44 would be a 460 or 500 or a large rifle.
4. Bear spray is probably better than a gun in most cases but who knows if this is real or just good marketing by bear spray manufacturers.
5. All the doors at the mining camp had levers instead of knobs, this was not super smart as was discovered about 6 months after it was constructed when a black bear opened an exterior door, went up to the third floor of the mill building and then charged past a surprised night shift employee dislocating his shoulder (the persons, not the bears).
6. Any time you're more than 100 yards from a commercial structure you should be shouting "HEY BEAR" at the top of your lungs every 60 seconds.

I'll go through some old pics and see if I have any good bear ones I'm sure I have a few

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
the 2014 movie Backcountry has a bear attack scene that is seriously loving terrifying

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
Watched Grizzly Man years ago 100% under the assumption that it was a fake documentary and that all was part of a story, including that ending. Welp. Please confirm at least Blair Witch Project was indeed play pretend?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

bird with big dick posted:

6. Any time you're more than 100 yards from a commercial structure you should be shouting "HEY BEAR" at the top of your lungs every 60 seconds.

This is the important one.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Anukahn posted:

Watched Grizzly Man years ago 100% under the assumption that it was a fake documentary and that all was part of a story, including that ending. Welp. Please confirm at least Blair Witch Project was indeed play pretend?

blair witch: real
grizzly man: fake

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ProperCoochie posted:

the 2014 movie Backcountry has a bear attack scene that is seriously loving terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0AHvPpGrDU

Yeah this is pretty brutal and exactly what I'm afraid of. I know it's a remote possibility but gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird with big dick posted:

lol nice try, guy trying to haze me

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Outrail posted:

Yeah this is pretty brutal and exactly what I'm afraid of. I know it's a remote possibility but gently caress.

:catstare:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I heard that polar bears are some of the few animals who see humans and wanna eat them. Like, they kill us with the intent to actually eat all us instead of just protecting the cubs or just beating the poo poo out of us or whatever.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think polar bears are just way hungry

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They are, but they also know it's our fault

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I heard that polar bears are some of the few animals who see humans and wanna eat them. Like, they kill us with the intent to actually eat all us instead of just protecting the cubs or just beating the poo poo out of us or whatever.

most other bears are omnivores who have specific prey animals they will bother to hunt, but polar bears live where there's long stretches of the year where meat is the only option and they're absolute apex predators (well unless you count orca competing for seals but they don't really compete exactly) so I would guess that's why. If it's lean times and a polar bear sees a human moving around they gotta seriously consider that might be the only meal for the next week or five.

Also it's totally loving heartbreaking the way climate change is starving all the polar bears to death because the sea ice melts too soon/doesn't form till too late and they can't hunt seals without the sea ice. Polar bears outside captivity probably gonna be extinct this century.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtC14cpwwXg

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Outrail posted:

Did she drop the bear spray a second time on the second attack?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Caesar Saladin posted:

A show that I saw pointed out that polar bears, unlike brown bears, are built head to toe for killing. For example, their claws are designed for that purpose. A brown bears' claws are shaped better for digging; they work just fine against animals because they are huge and brown bears are insanely strong, but their shape isn't optimized for that.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The title of that video reminds me of a segment I saw on Nightline a bazillion years ago. It was about a guy in Alaska whose property had become a sort of crossroads for all types of wild bears. The two scenes that are burned into my mind were a huge brown bear approaching him as he stood on a sort of deck, the bear stood and started to get a bit pushy with the man and he loving slapped it. And the bear backed off. The other was a black bear that looked to be half the size of a brown bear flipping out on the brown bear...which backed off.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I heard a story about a guy who got taken by a polar bear in Alaska somewhere back in the 70's. His buddy saw the bear dragging him away by his head and managed to run up and jam a shotgun into its mouth around the guy's face and blew its head off. The guy survived with a hosed up skull.

Equal odds it's bullshit but the 70's were kinda wild apparently?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Outrail posted:

I heard a story about a guy who got taken by a polar bear in Alaska somewhere back in the 70's. His buddy saw the bear dragging him away by his head and managed to run up and jam a shotgun into its mouth around the guy's face and blew its head off. The guy survived with a hosed up skull.

Equal odds it's bullshit but the 70's were kinda wild apparently?

Did he yell, "Eat this!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Did he yell, "Eat this!"

Probably something like "ICE to meet you!"

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I dunno if they do this or not, but they should totally pay the contestants on Alone for every second of footage that actually makes it onto the show.

Would encourage everyone to take lots of cool and interesting footage. Some of the contestants don't really even appear for some of the early episodes while there are still 10 people, so I wonder if it's bad footage, or boring people.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Every season should be re-edited to include Dick Proenneke as a ghost racer

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ante posted:

I dunno if they do this or not, but they should totally pay the contestants on Alone for every second of footage that actually makes it onto the show.

Would encourage everyone to take lots of cool and interesting footage. Some of the contestants don't really even appear for some of the early episodes while there are still 10 people, so I wonder if it's bad footage, or boring people.

That would just encourage people to do stupid, dangerous poo poo in hopes of getting on the show more.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Got through season 3 of Alone and drat, never thought I'd see somebody who had a relative abundance of food get medically DQ'd because he was hoarding it rather than eating enough to live

Was bummed when the biologist chipped her tooth and had to tap out, I liked her and thought she could've won

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Season 3 was depressing because the last several episodes are just people complaining about starving and inching toward medical disqualification.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rounded a corner on the trail and came face to face with a black bear a good 20ft away. We both just stopped in our tracks for a beat to register what it was we saw. The bear then ran off the embankment in one of the most comical scrambles I have ever seen. Just this big dumb idiot cartoon legs spinning and tripping over itself as it ran away. If that bear was more afraid and angsty itd probably have been a much different story but what I got was certainly hilarious.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Cojawfee posted:

That would just encourage people to do stupid, dangerous poo poo in hopes of getting on the show more.

Not seeing an issue here

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Got through season 3 of Alone and drat, never thought I'd see somebody who had a relative abundance of food get medically DQ'd because he was hoarding it rather than eating enough to live

I've heard this is something psychological that happens when you're starving. its one of the craziest moments in the show.

I have been way into this show for years. The contestants are getting really skilled, especially last season.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Brian Blessed once punched a polar bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9c05bvN6Z0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
This is the bear thread, right?

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1363085631870689283?s=19