Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I would like a needle, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
where's my fuckin vaccine Joe

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's okay though we can just tweak the vaccine and distribute another one because everyone was able to quickly and easily get a vaccine the first time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fosborb posted:

this is why I think it's drat insane to treat this as good news

if it didn't prevent severe disease, it would be loving horrific news. like, all the trials were clearly garbage and nothing can be trusted, news.

as is, it demonstrates vaccinated populations could easily still be vectors for community spread, especially when in contact with vulnerable, unvaccinated populations.

so if half the US gets slut juice this summer and goes about life just like normal, well, we still have 160 million cases to go

yeah, it's fun getting nervous over objectively good news because our vaccination strategy is so lovely

it's really clear at this point that "getting a cold" is just going to mean something significantly riskier from now on, but of course that won't in any way affect employer or school policies regarding sick time

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

it's okay though we can just tweak the vaccine and distribute another one because everyone was able to quickly and easily get a vaccine the first time.

Still dunno why they are so worried about how many people want the jab when there is a year long backlog of people who want the jab but can't get one yet because there aren't enough to go around.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that curried seagull has distracted me from my lack of being vaccinated thank u goons

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Still dunno why they are so worried about how many people want the jab when there is a year long backlog of people who want the jab but can't get one yet because there aren't enough to go around.

Focusing on the former makes us look bad while focusing on the latter makes them look bad.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

it's too bad only a few companies know how to make the vaccine and no one else is allowed to do it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

I would like a needle, please.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1362950116341080066?s=21

lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fischtick posted:

Again, the pics do him zero justice. It's this amazing swoosh of yellow that's 100% outside the palette of the PACNW this time of year.

*exhales* so yeah, I like birds.

I like birds too. Aus has been great for photos. e.g.

Let's do bird tax instead of cat tax.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Feb 20, 2021

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Vaccine plz

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/syracusedotcom/status/1362865825439485952

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

blatman posted:

that curried seagull has distracted me from my lack of being vaccinated thank u goons

https://twitter.com/Leconte_/status/1362537547033759748?s=19

Not sure what flavor this one is

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

overheard at a costco:

store manager to maskless woman: can i get you a mask?

maskless woman: i have a medical condition and you can't make me wear a mask, i can shop here without a mask if i want to, prove me wrong!

store manager: ok

*proves woman wrong*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CSPAM vaccine infiltration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONW46d50A0

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dank nugs cure covid.

Also can people get vax'd up yet???????????????????????????????????????????????

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Nothus posted:

Pics pls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kin7n6eJs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

lemon meringue probably

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

got my second shot yesterday was pretty hosed up with body aches and muscle spasms this morning... my county somehow an allotment of vaccine disproportionate to our population compared to surrounding counties and i am a frontline healthcare worker

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fosborb posted:

this is why I think it's drat insane to treat this as good news

if it didn't prevent severe disease, it would be loving horrific news. like, all the trials were clearly garbage and nothing can be trusted, news.

as is, it demonstrates vaccinated populations could easily still be vectors for community spread, especially when in contact with vulnerable, unvaccinated populations.

so if half the US gets slut juice this summer and goes about life just like normal, well, we still have 160 million cases to go

There is nothing that could happen that you would consider good news, and your expectation seems to be that a vaccine needs to be a magical healing potion to be a success. By your standards no existing vaccine has been a success yet.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Salt Fish posted:

There is nothing that could happen that you would consider good news, and your expectation seems to be that a vaccine needs to be a magical healing potion to be a success. By your standards no existing vaccine has been a success yet.

gently caress off

the good news was already the 95% efficacy of severe symptoms and more recently pfizer stored at 0 degrees.

white papers are starting to show indications of reduced transmissibility and infection, all good news

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZY51zFpS4&t=3s

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

pfizer is stored in the balls

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spoondick posted:

got my second shot yesterday was pretty hosed up with body aches and muscle spasms this morning... my county somehow an allotment of vaccine disproportionate to our population compared to surrounding counties and i am a frontline healthcare worker

supposedly the booster shot has the highest reaction but it goes away 1/2 days later.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We get free PTO days if the vaccine fucks us up or we get covid, as many as we need.

Thanks work

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm not hung over, the covid vaccine is just loving me up again

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My fuckin shoulder hurts. :mad:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it's good news cases and deaths to a lesser extent are dropping. it's good news j&j is getting closer to a one shot solution. it's good news India case numbers stopped exploding and Brazil is leveling off. it's good news we are vaccinating the most likely to die first, and we hit nursing homes immediately and not through retail pharmacies. it's good news talk around masks is growing at least more protective, and good news people are starting to see double masks. it's good news people like Osterholm at least have a seat at the table now, and Bergstrom is doing modeling for people who will hopefully listen to him about the needs for mitigation in schools. it's good news the mrna vaccines work at all,. and a loving miracle they came out so quickly

hth

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

I love how there's no category for remote elementary classes. Just throw them back into schools, no matter what. What could go wrong?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I like birds too. Aus has been great for photos. e.g.

Let's do bird tax instead of cat tax.

:hai:

And yeah, the salmonella outbreak is all along the west coast. Last I heard in west WA feeders stay down til March, eastern WA until May. I had some chickadees come by and tap on the window today, so I gave them some peanuts. I haven't seen finches or siskins(ostensibly the source of the outbreak) since I packed up feeders and birdbath in the middle of January, but I left the hummingbird feeders out because I have year round hummingbird neighbors in my yard. But yes...birds are the best.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/myedgeprop/status/1362969134703722498?s=19

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
my grandpa got his 2nd dose today i'm pretty stoked about that
maybe i will be able to get a dose sometime
meanwhile my mother won't and claims she had a bad experience with autoimmune issues and a previous vaccine

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KPIXtv/status/1362973002695114759?s=20

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm 12 hours away from my second dose of slut juice. I'm heading to the gym next weekend and am going to feel safe while wearing a surgical under a cloth mask.

Good times.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Doubt I'll ever feel safe again after witnessing modern civilization fall flat on its face trying to respond to a relatively mild crisis, but I think I can live with that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Paradoxish posted:

Doubt I'll ever feel safe again after witnessing modern civilization fall flat on its face trying to respond to a relatively mild crisis, but I think I can live with that.

I was talking with a nurse friend about COVID and her strong belief is that we couldn't handle it because it wasn't gross enough and if the disease had disfiguring poo poo like measles we absolutely would have shut down.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

I'm 12 hours away from my second dose of slut juice. I'm heading to the gym next weekend and am going to feel safe while wearing a surgical under a cloth mask.

Good times.

Enjoy your 59% protection from severe variant illness

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Are you paying for vaccines in the US? What's the cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I was talking with a nurse friend about COVID and her strong belief is that we couldn't handle it because it wasn't gross enough and if the disease had disfiguring poo poo like measles we absolutely would have shut down.

Nah, I really don't think there's any reason to believe this. Dying alone in an ICU is pretty horrifying. Americans just don't give a poo poo because this particular brand of mass death has a fairly minimal impact on daily life outside of direct government action like lockdowns. The ICUs can be overflowing and you still won't be tripping over any dead bodies on your way to Starbucks.

People panicked when they saw the crowded Chinese hospitals because it looked like the end of the world. Then it happened here to a far worse degree and, well, it turns out you can just kind of ignore it if your government doesn't give a poo poo if you live or die. Normalcy bias is way stronger than we like to admit.