Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
You also can't really show the inside of an american hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Are you paying for vaccines in the US? What's the cost?

no they are “free “

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fischtick posted:

I used to say it scares me that the older I get, the more I like trains. The quarantine has shown me there's something both better and worse out there: birds.

We've had feeders for years, and I filled them with a generic Costco seed medley until I noticed the chickadees sifting through the seeds, tossing everything on the ground to get at the black sunflower seeds -- the snickers of the birdseed world, apparently. So gently caress it, I started buying 40lb. sacks of black sunflower seeds. Chickadees, nuthatches, and finches love them. Nuthatches eat upside down! We broke out our old bird books and started keeping track. Warning sign #1: books

On a whim, I took a look at the suet feeders at the bird shop (warning sign #2: have a preferred bird shop) and found one I liked. The bird shop had a literal wall of suet, maybe 50 different flavors/kinds. A guy came in, squatted down next to me, and grabbed a case of Spicy Bugs. I asked him about it, and the gist was the suet is full of spicy stuff. Birds ain't got no taste buds, to make a generalization, but squirrels sure do. I got in line behind him with my own case.

The suet is amazing! In early winter we had scrub jays (which we thought were female Steller's Jays this whole time), then the Northern Flickers showed up, and the Downy Woodpeckers, and when it got super cold last week we had some varied thrush show up. I don't even mind the starlings. Imagine 12-16 little birds trying to feed from a feeder roughly the size of a CD case. It's hilarious!

The star of the show so far is the Townsend's Warbler. He's a tiny little fucker, but he's got these bright Nike-running-shoes looking, practically retroreflective yellow streaks. Photos don't do it justice. It's other worldly. According to the Cornell bird app (warning #3: there's an app for that), he's pretty uncommon! Imagine seeing this dude on a background of drab gray outside your window at the start of your day:

Again, the pics do him zero justice. It's this amazing swoosh of yellow that's 100% outside the palette of the PACNW this time of year.

*exhales* so yeah, I like birds.

we have a Townsend warbler that eats bugs in our yard all the time and my youngest is super creative and named him Yellowie.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SchnorkIes posted:

You also can't really show the inside of an american hospital

yeah but I still wonder how much it would matter

People panicked last year at the idea of an uncontrolled pandemic, but the reality kind of just washed over everyone like no big deal. I think you get that one big break for most people, but it's not going to impact behavior over the long term unless authority figures are telling you that it's dangerous to go outside. The people in positions of authority in the US never got farther than telling people to maybe limit their activities a little bit.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Tzen posted:

lol this owns. I haven't had that experience yet, looking forward to when I do though

It’s so good, people just don’t know how to react. My favorite thing is walking by a packed patio at a bar and just judgin fools.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

is covid defeated? when can i see my family

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

opener up

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1362987872056442881?s=20

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

yeah but I still wonder how much it would matter

People panicked last year at the idea of an uncontrolled pandemic, but the reality kind of just washed over everyone like no big deal. I think you get that one big break for most people, but it's not going to impact behavior over the long term unless authority figures are telling you that it's dangerous to go outside. The people in positions of authority in the US never got farther than telling people to maybe limit their activities a little bit.

I think part of the problem is that the media was so busy bouncing from outrage to outrage that something like the mass graves in NYC was just that day's hosed up story and the next day trynp tweeted something and the next day we did a warcrime or whatever etc

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

birds rock

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

respirators rock

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

pandemic sucks donkey dick

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Give Me Slut Juice I Crave Slut Juice

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The current realistic timeline is we're going to vaccinate every elderly person most at risk who wants the vaccine and every frontline healthcare worker who wants the vaccine within the next two months. We'll have a stockpile of enough doses to start giving a first shot to anyone who wants it by July. It will take a couple months after that of logistical bottlenecks to get us to 70-85% and true OPENRUP land that this thread dreads. This is all per Fauci in a recent podcast.

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1362916491352371201?s=20

The curve is crashing after the dumb holiday peak, every formerly infected person is a dead end for reinfection essentially, and we've got a lower powered but still effective third vaccine about to be made readily available.

MadJackal has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Feb 20, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thoguh posted:

Still dunno why they are so worried about how many people want the jab when there is a year long backlog of people who want the jab but can't get one yet because there aren't enough to go around.

If they pretend to be worried about that they get to jump to the front of the line and brag about it in the name of encouraging dipshits to get it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

euphronius posted:

no they are “free “

That's surprising but good.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

every formerly infected person is a dead end for reinfection essentially

Manaus

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Do you really think that by this fall if we've vaccinated 70-85% of the population for COVID classic, we couldn't transition to a booster shot for the worst case scenario strain? The mRNA vaccine is basically plug and play.

Stop jerking off to worst case depression scenarios that things can never, ever get better because that doesn't jive with your current mindset.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

MadJackal posted:

. It will take a couple months after that of logistical bottlenecks to get us to 70-85% and true OPENRUP land that this thread dreads.

I'm hoping either the government starts heavily investing in hard propaganda and/or opinion shifts as getting the vaccine is normalized, because every poll I've seen says we'll be loving lucky to get to those numbers. military hasn't even been able to hit that.

last poll I saw, literally 40% of Republicans said flat out they will avoid getting the vaccine if at all possible

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

Do you really think that by this fall if we've vaccinated 70-85% of the population for COVID classic, we couldn't transition to a booster shot for the worst case scenario strain? The mRNA vaccine is basically plug and play.

Stop jerking off to worst case depression scenarios that things can never, ever get better because that doesn't jive with your current mindset.

Uncontrolled variant spread between now and fall could pretty much be as bad as anything we've seen so far lol, and you don't think we'll have an even escapier nastier variant by the time we can fully distribute both the original vaccine and the variant booster?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

fosborb posted:

I'm hoping either the government starts heavily investing in hard propaganda and/or opinion shifts as getting the vaccine is normalized, because every poll I've seen says we'll be loving lucky to get to those numbers. military hasn't even been able to hit that.

last poll I saw, literally 40% of Republicans said flat out they will avoid getting the vaccine if at all possible

Military has been able to get into the 65% range, but a lot of medical facilities have only made it into the 40% range with the staff lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I'm serious though. we clearly aren't locking down to end this (though we should and even now it would save so many lives).

rapid, mass vaccination is the only hope. anyone refusing the vaccine that isn't like allergic to eggshells should be seen as an act of dangerous deviancy by their communities and appropriately red lettered until they get their shot

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

SchnorkIes posted:

Uncontrolled variant spread between now and fall could pretty much be as bad as anything we've seen so far lol, and you don't think we'll have an even escapier nastier variant by the time we can fully distribute both the original vaccine and the variant booster?

See, the funny thing is I'd be willing to check in every first of the month from here till Thanksgiving comparing body counts compared to the peak until one of us taps out, but I'd be an rear end in a top hat for doing so.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

fosborb posted:

I'm serious though. we clearly aren't locking down to end this (though we should and even now it would save so many lives).

rapid, mass vaccination is the only hope. anyone refusing the vaccine that isn't like allergic to eggshells should be seen as dangerous deviancy by their communities and appropriately red lettered until they get their shot

You can't achieve that level of vaccine enthusiasm among covid ward workers

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

See, the funny thing is I'd be willing to check in every first of the month from here till Thanksgiving comparing body counts compared to the peak until one of us taps out, but I'd be an rear end in a top hat for doing so.

We're gonna get hammered by UK variant from all the opener up, that'll burn out or get vaccinated away, and then the escape variants come in, rinse and repeat. This can't be controlled without a lockdown period

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Give Me Slut Juice I Crave Slut Juice

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SchnorkIes posted:

You can't achieve that level of vaccine enthusiasm among covid ward workers

because people are idiots and they were given a choice in the matter. that's not how you quickly end a pandemic

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

fosborb posted:

Irrational beliefs respond well to irrational data.

I don't push people towards the vaccine's numbers alone, I push the emotional story of how I woke up like a kid on Christmas Day when I got my first dose. I've got my clothes laid out already for my second dose tomorrow because that picture is going on my dating profile.

Most people don't respond well to numbers, they respond to the things they've personally witnessed around them. So if they witness many of their vaccined friends feeling safe to return to public and their anti-vaccine friends getting sick and heading to Zoom funerals, they're more likely to take the vaccine.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Jesus Christ, how are they levitating!?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Happy Thread posted:

Jesus Christ, how are they levitating!?

We may never know.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

MadJackal posted:

Irrational beliefs respond well to irrational data.

I don't push people towards the vaccine's numbers alone, I push the emotional story of how I woke up like a kid on Christmas Day when I got my first dose. I've got my clothes laid out already for my second dose tomorrow because that picture is going on my dating profile.

Most people don't respond well to numbers, they respond to the things they've personally witnessed around them. So if they witness many of their vaccined friends feeling safe to return to public and their anti-vaccine friends getting sick and heading to Zoom funerals, they're more likely to take the vaccine.

ha, i told people i felt like a kid on christmas morning when i got my vaccine.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I don't really feel much about the first dose, it's going to be a tense 4 weeks trying to avoid infection and make sure I have a line on a backup second dose in case something happens (this state has been just cancelling a lot of second doses silently)

And hoping they don't go to a one dose protocol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I felt nothing after one dose of moderne also

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

MadJackal posted:

hopefully!

still not sure why 62% of nursing home staff refused the vaccine on the first go around. I hope they eventually realize the risk they put everyone in, despite likely altering their behavior very little and unlikely having any severe disease in their peer groups even with positives

but just like with parents at the pediatrician, you're right that PCPs have a roll to play here too

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I felt annoyed and guilty when I got my first dose tbh

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

we better hope there isn't a variant that escapes because people will put up with about 3-4 months of this and will never look back after being vaccinated, and the media will assist them in this.

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Feb 20, 2021

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

SchnorkIes posted:

This can't be controlled without a lockdown period

You do know I live in a city that went through a pretty long lockdown period that didn't solve this thing, right?

I agree with the original concept that a national lockdown with strict enforcement and heavy contact tracing would have saved half a million American lives. And I agree outdoor dining within breathing distance of sidewalks is nuts.

We're past that point. Give up on the idea of perfect, worldwide, isolate-every-person-in-every-nation-from-air-travel idealism.

This is triage.

We are protecting those most at risk, we are protecting their caretakers. The body count continued to crash because the nation got over the irrational exuberance of gathering for the holidays and murdering grandma.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

You do know I live in a city that went through a pretty long lockdown period that didn't solve this thing, right?

You never had a lockdown there lol, just ask the aussies

There's no triage with this, there's "lockdown to elimination" or "lose hundreds of thousands to endemic full escape covid every year forever as boosters lag a step behind"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The body count crashed because the virus ran out of people who could be easily infected, and it is becoming increasingly harder to "get to" people who weren't infected in the past 6~ months or so.