Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lodin posted:

Ok, enlighten me. I've seen a lot of people screeching like howler monkeys for Geno in Smash Brothers and what exactly is the appeal of this terribly designed naked emo puppet? Never played the game.

geno can hit reliably for 9999 damage and the other new party member created for the game is a yellow booger with garbage stats who iirc is introduced to you as a crybaby whining about everything, so his competition is practically nonexistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

!Klams posted:

I keep ragging on Doom Eternal, but it's still the best fps out there.

Tried to play Cyberpunk again, first there was an immortal grunt enemy that meant I couldn't get through a door, reloaded, got to the end of that area, and then 'nothing' exploded next to me, killing me instantly from full health. Played again, got to the end for real, and a dude just clipped through all of the scenery and detritus of the battle while talking to me.

Got outside and the framerate went to poo poo for no obvious reason. I tried to call my car, but it came driving through a bollard, which exploded (?) and totaled my car. Ran away and called it up again, drove about a meter forward and V just got out. He'd get back in and then just immediately get out. Ok I guess I'm walking.

Walked down the street and came across a murder scene, with cops patrolling. They decided I was trouble (?) and chased me for a few blocks shooting at me, during which someone called me up and gave me the tail end of a conversation I'd never started. Finally lost the cops, so I thought I'd explore a bit. A puddle turns out to be a lake with a car in it, there is no 'underwater' effect while I'm swimming down there despite having all settings cranked. There's a cat down there too, just walking around at the bottom of this random lake in the middle of an urban sprawl like it ain't no thang.

I take a moment to look down at my phone IRL, and another cop comes walking out of the wall in front of me, bumps into me, and opens fire. He disappears, but a hail of gunfire from behind me (presumably other cops?) kills me again, I respawn back near my broken car, which was still broken.

Cool.

like i get why this is objectively bad but on the other hand everything you wrote here is half the reason i love videogames

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

faust is too scary in gg strive :(

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

You should go play it. It probably won't change your opinion because Geno isn't very interesting and doesn't do much but you should still play it.

It has turn based JRPG combat so I most certainly shall not play it. Good day!

E: Is Bridget in the new Guilty Gear? They own.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
those weirdos who said steam was bad and you'd eventually lose all your games in 2002 were right
I hadn't logged into steam in 5 years and now gaben is demanding a photo of a receipt with a cdkey from a third party purchase to prove I'm me, despite still having the same name, e-mail, and phone for the privilege of playing my old games or giving him more money. No one ever hacked or stole my account because I still recieve daily messages about stuff steam wants to sell me on that email account.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lodin posted:

not in the beta at least but I kind of doubt it, I don’t think Bridget even made it to Xrd (?)

which is a drat shame

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Coolness Averted posted:

those weirdos who said steam was bad and you'd eventually lose all your games in 2002 were right
I hadn't logged into steam in 5 years and now gaben is demanding a photo of a receipt with a cdkey from a third party purchase to prove I'm me, despite still having the same name, e-mail, and phone for the privilege of playing my old games or giving him more money. No one ever hacked or stole my account because I still recieve daily messages about stuff steam wants to sell me on that email account.

Yeah I had an old account that only had a couple of games on it and they're asking me for the original retail cs1.6 key that I used to open that account lmao

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If Activision, EA and Ubisoft all closed up shop the world would be a better place.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think that's all that unpopular an idea. Add squenix to the list so I can get another goddamn deus ex

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rockman Reserve posted:

not in the beta at least but I kind of doubt it, I don’t think Bridget even made it to Xrd (?)

which is a drat shame

I get that it's an iffy character to include, but they should just own it. Mix in some Ziggy Stardust with an older Bridget and you have the perfect LGBTQ representation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lodin posted:

Ok, enlighten me. I've seen a lot of people screeching like howler monkeys for Geno in Smash Brothers and what exactly is the appeal of this terribly designed naked emo puppet? Never played the game.

the geno meme is pretty old, but it was new in 2008 and just kind of carried over across three games. being nostalgic for super mario rpg was hot in those days okay!

now that i think about it, the last time i finished it was in 2007. i was ahead of my time lol

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 20, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fur20 posted:

the geno meme is pretty old, but it was new in 2008 and just kind of carried over across three games. being nostalgic for super mario rpg was hot in those days okay!

now that i think about it, the last time i finished it was in 2007. i was ahead of my time lol

Was especially big when super mario rpg was still a nearly forgotten thing that never even released in PAL territories, very much like Earthbound.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Geno is cool and it doesn't take nostalgia to think that. I thought he was the best playable character in SMRPG when I played it back when the game came out and there's really been no reason to change that idea. Mallow was a whiny cloudbaby and rightful prince of the cloud kingdom but was raised by frogs and thought he was a tadpole. Geno is some kind of fuckin messenger of god from star road who happened to take over a naked emo puppet when he landed and needed a vessel but didn't care and was on a drat mission to gently caress up evil with an arm cannon. Geno is really one of the most unique characters in the history of Mario games. Anyways it doesn't matter because they will probably never put him in Smash because it wouldn't be useful for any marketing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Replaying fallout 4 and while yes, removing so much of the RP options and peaceful ways to complete quests sucked the Institute is a really well-written antagonist. You get told the entire game about how evil they are and all the atrocities they've committed and then you finally get there amd its this peaceful bright white utopia and everyone's extremely nice and polite to you and they all talk about their families and testing the laser guns for fun.

And then you overhear the scientists discussing their experiments like one of them talking about how the crops at Warwick homestead are doing and how old the youngest son must be. With the other scientists quickly trying to change the subject and say its best not to think too much about the experiments.

Because Warwick homestead had its dad kidnapped and replaced by a synth to run the experiment with orders to kill the entire family if discovered to protect the institute.

All the other antagonists with motivations beyond "SMASHING FUN" in Fallout have basically been open fascists with their moral grey being "the world needs order so what's a little crucifixions or ghoul genocide?

The institute is evil in the way the Pre-War world was evil everyone's smiling and happy but behind closed doors the military's dunking people in FEV, and Vault Tec's prepping people to be human guinea pigs. Its evil the way our worlds evil where all the brutality is sanitized through several layers of management with PR statements. Its legit refreshing to have this change of pace where you have to deal with the bad guys being very friendly and human but as soon as you let your guard down you remember they're massacring an entire town for not handing something they want over and engaging in literal slavery.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The problem is they have zero modus operandi. You can scour every terminal and dialogue in the game and never find a reason for anything they're doing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And was already done better with the Think Tank.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The institute is evil in the way the Pre-War world was evil everyone's smiling and happy but behind closed doors the military's dunking people in FEV, and Vault Tec's prepping people to be human guinea pigs. Its evil the way our worlds evil where all the brutality is sanitized through several layers of management with PR statements. Its legit refreshing to have this change of pace where you have to deal with the bad guys being very friendly and human but as soon as you let your guard down you remember they're massacring an entire town for not handing something they want over and engaging in literal slavery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also was already the Enclave's thing with being supposedly civilised from the inside- hell, they even have elections! But they don't consider anyone outside their faction to be real people, and even the ones they don't plan on genociding are expendable experiment fodder.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Putting a bullet in her head is one of the most satisfying things a person can experience.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gaius Marius posted:

The problem is they have zero modus operandi. You can scour every terminal and dialogue in the game and never find a reason for anything they're doing.

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means. Do you mean Method or Motivation?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah probably

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Enclave falls under open fascists and also they live in a loving oil rig instead of a place that actually looks more advanced than the surrounding wastes and while Vault City has a similar outlook and justification as the Institute they're not the main antagonists amd lol that you would use first citizen Lynette, the most legendary jerk in the wasteland in the same breath as anyone in the fallout games being nice.

I stand by my opinion in this the unpopular game opinion thread

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

blows my mind I didnt find out about sucking up to her until a decade+ later

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lodin posted:

It invented timing your button presses for bonus effects in JRPG combat! It tried to push the genre forward!!!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Timed hits in turn-based games are an aberration that doesn't belong, not an innovation. A menu based game gains as much from real time elements as a shooter does from having you go three layers deep in a menu to change weapons mid combat.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

hmm yeah if only it was menus just before or after the shooter combat then your analogy wouldn't be terrible and it would turn out that actually works fine

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah the analogy is fuckin whatever if you want to be tedious about it but it stands that if I want to time button presses for damage I'll play an action game. The interesting element in turn based games is selecting the right action and not whether or not you properly press a QTE button.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No, actually the most interesting part is selecting the right action and then pressing a button at the right time

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

lol that you would use first citizen Lynette, the most legendary jerk in the wasteland in the same breath as anyone in the fallout games being nice.

Oh she's nice if you take her side on things though. I mean the checklist you gave was brutality being sanitized through management and PR statements (this is what Lynette represents exactly), literal slavery (non-citizens), and massacring an entire town for not giving something they want (Gecko). She is absolutely a huge piece of poo poo, but she is also all about decorum and bureaucracy, which seems to me to be what you were talking about. She'll get upset with you for calling out slavery as slavery, and she even uses the power plant water contamination as an excuse for genocide and gets upset if you solve the problem without loving over the ghouls. If you show her your vault suit, agree with slavery, kill every ghoul in Gecko and shut down the plant, etc, then she'll be nice as hell. Bureaucrats love a sycophant.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tonfa posted:

Yeah the analogy is fuckin whatever if you want to be tedious about it but it stands that if I want to time button presses for damage I'll play an action game. The interesting element in turn based games is selecting the right action and not whether or not you properly press a QTE button.

final fantasy had real time elements of combat as early as 4. Ranging from just the atb system, to 'hit button for extra damage,' and even 'enter fighting game style combos to do a move'
It's cool if you don't like it, but it's not some weird anomalous blip.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Tonfa posted:

I quit South Park Stick of Truth on the first battle screen because of that poo poo. QTE "gameplay" can gently caress off forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Timed button presses are hot garbage in RPGs and every single one is worse for having it

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Witcher 1's combat system. Nothing but timed button presses and it's hot loving dogshit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pretty much everything about Witcher 1 was terrible. I get that people like grimdark fantasy poo poo but god drat

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well there was that one guy who sometimes shouted "Your mother sucks dwarf cock!" He was pretty cool.

Also Geralt asking "What if I'm gay?"

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I picked up Mass Effect Andromeda because I even enjoyed ME3.

Figured I could just refund if I hate it or something.

Game crashes while making a character.

Steam thought the game was running still, so now i've got like 20 hours "played".

Game better not suck!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Game better not suck!

About that...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Why are there so many discord servers and what do people who stay there 24/7 even do?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Workaday Wizard posted:

Why are there so many discord servers and what do people who stay there 24/7 even do?

Dunno.

One discord for gaming, one for hentai. What more do you need???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

even though warzone is my favorite battlegrounds type game i kinda wish it wasn't around because the actual multiplayer map design for the last COD was really good and fantastic fun for 10 minute games, i'm hoping cold war is the same.

Workaday Wizard posted:

they're just chatrooms with your friends, dude