Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Fur20 posted:

wait, you get a huge planet from the baol precursors? this was the first time i ever got this chain but mine was a barren world :(

You get a size 25 tomb world, and a relic that transforms planets into gaia worlds. There's a strong synergy between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I don't know about you all, but I am getting to that part of the Stellaris DLC cycle where it's hard to play the current game because I'm waiting for the Next Big Patch. I'm so ready for the district and pop revamp, as well as all the probably broken things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

You get a size 25 tomb world, and a relic that transforms planets into gaia worlds. There's a strong synergy between the two.

me, seeing the relic: oh wow this is great!

me, using the relic: great for my homeworld lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaal posted:

I don't know about you all, but I am getting to that part of the Stellaris DLC cycle where it's hard to play the current game because I'm waiting for the Next Big Patch. I'm so ready for the district and pop revamp, as well as all the probably broken things.
I've been there since November 5th

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Splicer posted:

I've been there since November 5th

:same:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kaal posted:

I haven't played Stellaris in like half a year, but the new DLC has me itching to play Stellaris again. But certainly not before a much needed economy rework, and the new DLC features are quite intriguing as well. So now I'm like "hurry up and release the patch and DLC, I want to play Stellaris!".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torrannor posted:

I haven't played Stellaris in like half a year, but the new DLC has me itching to play Stellaris again. But certainly not before a much needed economy rework, and the new DLC features are quite intriguing as well. So now I'm like "hurry up and release the patch and DLC, I want to play Stellaris!".
I've started up a couple of games but my tolerance for the pop jank has dropped through the floor since I found out it was going away.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
For my current Stellaris game I was playing as the Kushan from Homeworld, and it worked out just like in the real game. I first encountered the Turanic Raiders, established an uneasy truce, then came into direct conflict with the Taiidan Empire. I defeated them and conquered Hiigara, only to then be embroiled in a conflict with the larger Kushan Republic (my lost colony origin counterparts). I defended my borders and they eventually broke up into pieces. Meanwhile the Beast is growing in strength in the galactic south, and the Turanic Raiders have built up a massive fleet outside my borders. I'm attempting to build up Kharak and Hiigara as industrial worlds to fuel my fleet production, and trying to stay on the good side of the advanced Bentusi merchants that are connected to me via wormhole.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I have no idea what Factions do exactly or if I should bother blowing 2 influence per month endorsing any of them but they don't seem to have any affect on the game? Or am I totally missing a great mechanic that will be huge if I spend time on it?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Factions can make or break your influence income. Keep them happy and your influence gain will increase, piss them off and it goes down the shitter. As an FYI never endorse or suppress them, both options are a waste of influence and you need as much as you can get.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
With all the things that should be done with this game, and there is many, my god they need to revisit the whole war thing. Having to go through each and every single solitary sector and capturing every planet, playing whack a mole with the fifty corvette fleets that are just strong enough to roll over every outpost and undo all your work, on top of any fleets you smash just respawning in their territory and promptly going to work reflipping sectors, is tiresome.

And then you throw allies in the mix, and now mother fuckers don't think they need to submit despite you holding every sector, completely obliterating their fleet AND have all their planets cause well, what did you do to their allies? Or better yet, your own allies lose one sector and suddenly your opponent thinks they're hot poo poo. I swear, the war goal mechanic is like playing with the most contrarian internet rear end in a top hat imaginable.

E: Like wars take so drat long that I can claim significant chunks of territory even with the double claim cost in war

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 20, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Only embrace a faction if you want to change your ethics midgame.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Leal posted:

With all the things that should be done with this game, and there is many, my god they need to revisit the whole war thing. Having to go through each and every single solitary sector and capturing every planet, playing whack a mole with the fifty corvette fleets that are just strong enough to roll over every outpost and undo all your work, on top of any fleets you smash just respawning in their territory and promptly going to work reflipping sectors, is tiresome.

And then you throw allies in the mix, and now mother fuckers don't think they need to submit despite you holding every sector, completely obliterating their fleet AND have all their planets cause well, what did you do to their allies? Or better yet, your own allies lose one sector and suddenly your opponent thinks they're hot poo poo. I swear, the war goal mechanic is like playing with the most contrarian internet rear end in a top hat imaginable.

E: Like wars take so drat long that I can claim significant chunks of territory even with the double claim cost in war

Don't hold your breath, war in EU4 has been miserable for like 5 years and they haven't done a god damned thing about it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

fashionly snort posted:

argghhhh I can't believe how much of a pain population management is in this game; after about 50 years it feels like 80% of my time is spent shuffling pops between planets and managing district and building construction. I grabbed a mod to start each planet with all its building slots unlocked and that helps some; unfortunately, even when I have the minerals for the buildings + districts I can't just build them all out at once without the upkeep crashing my economy.

That mod is a terrible idea. Also stop shuffling pops around, go egalitarian and never look back.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Aethernet posted:

Now I want an Egalitarian equivalent to the Galactic Imperium that spreads compulsory democracy all through the cosmos.

You can achieve this to a degree through the workers' rights laws, but other empires are free to not comply and I want to smash a 'liberate' button until they do.

You do this via liberation wars, and being fanatically egalitarian. Once you've liberated everyone into the correct ideology you subjugate and absorb any non-democracies.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Do we have any hints or qualified guesses at a release date for Nemesis?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I have no idea what Factions do exactly or if I should bother blowing 2 influence per month endorsing any of them but they don't seem to have any affect on the game? Or am I totally missing a great mechanic that will be huge if I spend time on it?

Essentially, factions represent 2 influence total, divided based on %support, and given to you based on how happy they are. So at minimum, keep the big ones happy. Each pop in your empire has an ethic, and so do the factions, so pops join the factions with matching ethics. Promoting/suppressing a faction increases or decreases the attraction for that ethic. Endorsing it shifts the empire ethics towards them, at the cost of your ethic with the lowest approval. This is why "governing ethics attraction" is a good thing, but also make sure your policies and actions actually match your ethics, or your biggest faction might be quite unhappy.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

We really need higher tier of resources, it just 75% of my planets are Refinery worlds. That really shouldn't be the case.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

We really need higher tier of resources, it just 75% of my planets are Refinery worlds. That really shouldn't be the case.

:stare: Holy poo poo, what are you doing with all those rares? I only occasionally drop down a refinery or a mine somewhere, and there are a handful planets and habs of dedicated refinery worlds, but 75% is absolutely nuts. I'm already drowning in rare resources just by normal play. (It's how I finance the gigantic energy deficits I tend to run for most of a game. :v: )

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Is there any way to change your banner, colours, or shipset after the game starts? I am having some fun with the Fatherland mod, just waiting until ideological dissidents fires and then finding out where in the galaxy I've wound up and with what ideology. Problem is that I lose out on customizing flags and ships that way.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Back Hack posted:

Libluini posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, what are you doing with all those rares? I only occasionally drop down a refinery or a mine somewhere, and there are a handful planets and habs of dedicated refinery worlds, but 75% is absolutely nuts. I'm already drowning in rare resources just by normal play. (It's how I finance the gigantic energy deficits I tend to run for most of a game. :v: )

Apropos: Refineries don't provide a lot of jobs. Do you provide more jobs through districts, or do you mix other buildings into your refinery worlds? Or just accept really high unemployment rates?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is a mod that lets you upgrade the refineries to get more jobs that really should be put into the base game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Phosphine posted:

Resort worlds, independently of living standards, should have at least the option of "throw consumer goods at them for unity/amenities". Infinite spare entertainer jobs perhaps? Or just having a better jobs/slot option than commercial megaplex. It already gets 50% clerks for free, the resort being 99% clerks is very weird

I put fortresses on my "resort" world. They provide housing and jobs, which fixes the issue of not otherwise having either housing or jobs. I guess it also means my military gets some nice R&R while they're stationed there.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Dirk the Average posted:

I put fortresses on my "resort" world. They provide housing and jobs, which fixes the issue of not otherwise having either housing or jobs. I guess it also means my military gets some nice R&R while they're stationed there.

I guess that's one take on resort. Uncle Sam's Resort and Spa: we will fight them on the beaches!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
In the USA at least there are tons of national parks and public lands that are directly adjacent to military bases and missile ranges and all sorts of poo poo. Checks out.

e: I was hiking a couple months ago and at a certain point the trail takes a hard turn and there's a sign that says something like "Danger, no tresspassing! US Army Land! Mine and explosive testing area" etc etc to that effect. Barbed wire, skulls on signs, the whole shebang.

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 20, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You'd think they'd welcome volunteers at a mine testing area. :v:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
By the time you can farm out ecumenopilli to need that many refineries your basically already overflowing with endless resources anyway. I'm really looking forward to the new patch to see how it shakes everything up, wonder if they're gonna change relic worlds and ecumenopilli at all. I guess probably they'll still provide T3 districts where normal worlds only get T1?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Ecumenopolises or Ecumenopoleis, it's greek not latin :argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is just something relaxing when playing as a devouring swarm with the origin that starts you with a hive world and slowly turns other planets you own into hive worlds. No stratum fuckery, no limits on what districts you can build, less resources to worry about. Just going down the list and and building whatever district you got the lowest income on, then slam picking alloys with the occasional research building. Also they have the nest colony designation which gives a bonus to those 2 things.

And with the hunger war goal you don't even have to worry about playing wack a mole!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bobfly posted:

Apropos: Refineries don't provide a lot of jobs. Do you provide more jobs through districts, or do you mix other buildings into your refinery worlds? Or just accept really high unemployment rates?

I'm heavy into roleplaying my space people, so every planet tends to have some "essentials" like civilian industry or theaters, even heavily specialized planets. And some refinery planets are more generalized "heavy industry" planets with alloy forges mixed in. Plus districts, of course.

For 95% of a game run, I tend to have the opposite problem: Too many open jobs and the AI going nuts trying to decide which ones should be filled first.

Around the time a planet runs out of jobs, it also runs out of space, at which point I replace first any robot plants, then any buildings solely boosting pop growth, like cloning vats. After that, I activate that planetary decision to minimize pop growth and then the planet is basically finished.

Even on large maps and playing egalitarian, I tend to abandon or end games long before unemployment shows up. Sometimes I also "cheat" by resettling robots/droids from overflowing planets first, before I'm advanced enough that I have to give them citizen rights.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Could someone at Paradox *please* fix the loving Baol/Zroni digsites not firing off? I shouldn't have to open the goddamned console to continue these chains.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want to start a new game of Stellaris but I'm afraid it won't matter in a week when Paradox goes "LOL SURPRISE NEMESIS UPDATE IS OUT gently caress YOU" :suicide:
I'd like to put the rest of my mods into custom folders but I'm not sure that would work.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thats a nice holy world you got there

It'd be a real shame

If someone blew it up

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Leal posted:

There is just something relaxing when playing as a devouring swarm with the origin that starts you with a hive world and slowly turns other planets you own into hive worlds. No stratum fuckery, no limits on what districts you can build, less resources to worry about. Just going down the list and and building whatever district you got the lowest income on, then slam picking alloys with the occasional research building. Also they have the nest colony designation which gives a bonus to those 2 things.

And with the hunger war goal you don't even have to worry about playing wack a mole!

Unfortunately (?) That's not a vanilla origin. I thinks it's from planetary modifiers.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Oh my god I didn't know you got to HAK HAK HAK :allears:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Leal posted:

Thats a nice holy world you got there

It'd be a real shame

If someone blew it up

War it is then.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm way behind on Nemesis updates (just learned the name today) but becoming the crisis sounds like one of the better endgame mechanics since Realm Divide or its Fall of the Samurai equivalent.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

I'm way behind on Nemesis updates (just learned the name today) but becoming the crisis sounds like one of the better endgame mechanics since Realm Divide or its Fall of the Samurai equivalent.

I really like the name Aetheric Engine; it basically converts the game into AstroSteamPunk.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Aethernet posted:

I really like the name Aetheric Engine; it basically converts the game into AstroSteamPunk.
Is that only for becoming the End of the Cycle / the Unbidden? They show it happening as a machine intelligence so I hope the other archetypes translate somehow (and the Prethoryns are a completely separate thing that can happen multiple times in different spots like the Tyranid hive fleets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so what, will nemesis add an Evil Benevolent Empire modifier to you if you're a snowballing conqueror with an egalitarian democracy that enforces utopian living standards or smth