Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1362004052624756739

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have the Gaddafi’s Little Green Book. It owns. It’s pretty much galaxybrain.txt

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lichtenstein and Austria get the short straws there.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

I have goon friends from San Antonio. It's a collapse. The state was completely unprepared for the cold wave, and homeless people are freezing to death.

As much as I dislike US and wouldn't mind a few well targeted meteors dropping on it, the people hit hardest by this are the ones who did me no harm, and I'm furious at how much they've been failed by their countrymen. And there's a... special kind of disgust I feel for Yanks who are gloating about this tragedy. hurrrr, republican stronghold, as if a dirt poor black dude who died yesterday had the power to change anything.

My brother in law is burning furniture in austin right now to keep warm.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

lmao at Chile

Also I've always found 'Marruecos' for Morocco oddly festive-sounding, I like it

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/c_szabla/status/1361285438946779136?s=21

a doozy

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How is the area of Denmark used. Pretty self explanatory I hope, "primært foder" means "mostly feedstuff", and the area outside Denmark is soy production for livestock outside Denmark.

Source in Danish: https://videnskab.dk/kultur-samfund/nyt-danmarkskort-saa-meget-fylder-dansk-landbrug

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/xxxneonslavexxx/status/1361830441339215872

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Midwest smells like under-reporting to me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1362414960739897344/photo/1

Upshot: apparently about a third of Americans would be into dissolving into multiple nations. #statesrights

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Confederate States of Rural America

United Federation of Cities

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

BonHair posted:

I believe that's 'the cursed earth' and 'mega-cities'.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The United Federation of "I'm From One of the Good States Nuke Atlanta Lol Am I Right?" and "Pogrom All the Minorities and City-Dwellers in the South" agree: the union must be dissolved

e: what genuinely saddens me is that, anecdotally, the Chud States are far more likely to welcome in their brethren yahoos from eastern Oregon than Pacifitopia is going to be to accommodate the deluge of texans, the entire population of NOLA, etc.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 18, 2021

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1362414960739897344/photo/1

Upshot: apparently about a third of Americans would be into dissolving into multiple nations. #statesrights

lol at the fairly large amount of Republicans in the West Coast and Northeast who would be all for torpedoing their political power. Unless of course they have very different ideas of what the cut up would be.
It could also be moderate R's but even then.

The Democrats in the South, Midwest, and inland West know whats up.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The most fascinating thing to me here is Texas. Where the extremely culturally "Southern" east area is really bad and a lot like the rest of the South. But then that changes over abruptly to something still not very good but considerably more chilled.
I'm getting Poland partition lines vibes from that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BonHair posted:

I don't know if it will happen in the US but it's been a pet prediction of mine for a decade that cities globally will tend to gain power relative to other scales of government and will form confederations to protect themselves.

I'm the US (and most places) the only reason rural areas have any political power is because national governments want to balance the concentrated power of cities. If the US were to dissolve then the countryside would lose its precious Senate representation; they have no other forms of power aside from resource extraction.

(Yes I'm aware this is a crackpot idea, don't take it too seriously)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The United Federation of "I'm From One of the Good States Nuke Atlanta Lol Am I Right?" and "Pogrom All the Minorities and City-Dwellers in the South" agree: the union must be dissolved

e: what genuinely saddens me is that, anecdotally, the Chud States are far more likely to welcome in their brethren yahoos from eastern Oregon than Pacifitopia is going to be to accommodate the deluge of texans, the entire population of NOLA, etc.

all these texans are disrupting the character of the neighborhood, i say from my $5 million bungalow one block from a beach

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Steampunk Bundy Clan leading a reverse mormon migration from the accursed marxist west back to the original promised land of Indiana

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The Black Belt and reservations are depressingly easy to spot, but so is the Appalachian coal region.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that map looking a lot like poverty.png

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Count Roland posted:

I don't know if it will happen in the US but it's been a pet prediction of mine for a decade that cities globally will tend to gain power relative to other scales of government and will form confederations to protect themselves.

I'm the US (and most places) the only reason rural areas have any political power is because national governments want to balance the concentrated power of cities. If the US were to dissolve then the countryside would lose its precious Senate representation; they have no other forms of power aside from resource extraction.

(Yes I'm aware this is a crackpot idea, don't take it too seriously)

Hanseatic League II

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The entire west seems to have shrunk a bit in the wash.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol if you don't think lots of the West/Northeast republican refugees aren't NIMBY as gently caress suburbanites.
Not to mention really racist people from white-ethnic groups from the Northeast who will not be seen as white in the heartland whatsoever.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah that map looking a lot like poverty.png

Yes and no. It definitely seems that way in the south, but lots of those plains states, mountain states, and rural New England aren't exactly rich areas, and they are in the blue.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Steampunk Bundy Clan leading a reverse mormon migration from the accursed marxist west back to the original promised land of Indiana

...go on

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yes and no. It definitely seems that way in the south, but lots of those plains states, mountain states, and rural New England aren't exactly rich areas, and they are in the blue.
I wonder what it would look like, controlled for poverty.

Not that poverty makes the situation any less serious. As a map of where there are needs to be support and resources such, the original map seems useful. But obviously the best way to actually combat this stuff is addressing poverty. It'd be interesting if there were some areas where that wouldn't be enough, though.

So here's a poverty map:

For comparison:

At first glance it seems to correlate pretty strongly, unless there's some obvious anomalies I'm missing.

Edit: I think the reservations have extremely high poverty, but only pretty high domestic violence, compared to other places.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 20, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Space Kablooey posted:

Ironically people can prudish but also gently caress like bunnies.

- The entire recorded history of mankind

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

- The entire recorded history of mankind

I have some news about the Greek and Roman cultures for you.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BonHair posted:

I have some news about the Greek and Roman cultures for you.

Well the Romans were prudish as all hell but had 'secret' orgies so they fit.

The Greeks...I got nothing, they're an anomaly

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Well the Romans were prudish as all hell

wät

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The egyptians were not prudish in the slightest

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
People think the Greeks and Romans weren't prudes because we have access to all of their upper class celebrity gossip and whorehouse toilet scribblings. But that kind of stuff is a pretty bad example of public attitudes towards sexual mores which were generally much more repressive than what you'll see in media representations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i read a quote from a roman guy whos like "ugh all these women in their transparent silk dresses, how very vulgar"

which isnt the same thing as being a prude, just that they also had very specific thoughts about the body and nudity etc and comparing then/now one-to-one or vice versa is a fools errand

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Benagain posted:

The egyptians were not prudish in the slightest

when i was a lad, i jerked off to a tits out hieroglyph

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mos_maiorum

Zedhe Khoja posted:

People think the Greeks and Romans weren't prudes because we have access to all of their upper class celebrity gossip and whorehouse toilet scribblings. But that kind of stuff is a pretty bad example of public attitudes towards sexual mores which were generally much more repressive than what you'll see in media representations.

If any society was analyzed by gossip and whorehouse toilet scribblings, it would look pretty horny

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 20, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There is the point that before contraceptives, having sex included the risk of starting a family, and the family unit was the main economic unit as well, so infidelity was a lot worse than just breach of trust. That leads to some prudish behaviour I guess.

Homosexuality is a great contraceptive though, so the stereotypical Greeks found a loophole there.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol yeah won't someone think of those poor misunderstood friendly chud states, and how unfairly they are treated by those bloodthirsty genocidal coastal elitist states!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I cant believe pacifitopia did this to texas :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

internalizing Republican propaganda as a leftist so hard I come to think of red state republicans as genuinely open hearted jesus following good samaritans that love refugees, no big deal