Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Holy moly - that's something I never expected to hear. Are the 200 comics the back collection?

I maintain their whole "I've been pretending to be depressed for profit" thing & associated kickstarter chaos was true art

Yeah, it's the Paul saga, plus a few custom comics they made for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Who could have known that PA was Gamergate all along:
https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/1362591633397678081

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

ooooooh this is not surprising at all but I want the deets.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Holy moly - that's something I never expected to hear. Are the 200 comics the back collection?

I maintain their whole "I've been pretending to be depressed for profit" thing & associated kickstarter chaos was true art

I was really shocked that more fans didn't think it was art. It was like the most avant garde thing on the internet at that point

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

habeasdorkus posted:

Somebody mentioned they did Kuchera dirty to begin with?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

stab stabby posted:

I was really shocked that more fans didn't think it was art. It was like the most avant garde thing on the internet at that point

Many of the creators close friends sure didn't think it was art and were clearly very worried for them, so that was kind of a tip off for me that it was a real mental breakdown. I think it was KC Green who tweeted about how hard it was to see someone you thought was a friend have a massively public meltdown and block your phone number while you're trying to find someone who can contact them to make sure they had someplace warm to sleep and weren't going to freeze to death.

If it was an artistic production, it was a spectacularly self-absorbed one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Precambrian posted:

Many of the creators close friends sure didn't think it was art and were clearly very worried for them, so that was kind of a tip off for me that it was a real mental breakdown. I think it was KC Green who tweeted about how hard it was to see someone you thought was a friend have a massively public meltdown and block your phone number while you're trying to find someone who can contact them to make sure they had someplace warm to sleep and weren't going to freeze to death.

If it was an artistic production, it was a spectacularly self-absorbed one.

The duelling statements on pretending to be depressed and lying about pretending to be depressed can simultaneously be sublime art and also a symptom of a very genuine mental health crisis.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Straight White Shark posted:

The duelling statements on pretending to be depressed and lying about pretending to be depressed can simultaneously be sublime art and also a symptom of a very genuine mental health crisis.

Wow no? No this wasnt a performance piece what the hell, this was an actual person in crisis, acting as though mental health issues in any way benefit either art or artist is very not great actually

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I don't think a mental breakdown has to be performative or deliberate to be art, if that makes any sense

there's a lot of overlap between art and cries for help, art as expression of things we can't talk about, art as representative of trauma, and in the age of the very public art I think riding that straight into imploding on stage for a cheering crowd is ... not inevitable, but you know it's in the chamber somewhere

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I don't think a mental breakdown has to be performative or deliberate to be art, if that makes any sense

Wow get hosed! A person's suffering isn't art! You can find meaning in it but it's absurdly cruel and cold to call it "art"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I could get one person with that weird take but how the gently caress are there 4 different people in the thread saying it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Kojiro posted:

Wow get hosed! A person's suffering isn't art! You can find meaning in it but it's absurdly cruel and cold to call it "art"

sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding, I thought that was the claim by the individual themselves--that it had all been part of the show or whatever--and so taking them not at their word would be to call them a liar. I was attempting to frame the fact that it can both be as stated and still real

also I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who's suffering is art

everything I've ever made has been a dude breaking down in real time, I sympathize with the position

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I misread the situation, and am someone who basically vomits his trauma onto the internet for a living

those two things combined lead to me saying something stupid, and I apologize

Edit: you know what, I am requesting a ban

every time I post it is loving stupid and incendiary, I contribute nothing and am just here to plug my lovely stories, gimme the L

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 20, 2021

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Apologies, I'm perhaps a little extra snippy on this one because I've seen too many "its helpful for an artist to suffer" takes over the years and they immediately make me bristle. Got a lot of thoughts about how public an internet person's everything has to be too, it's just a lot.

^^ it's fine it's okay you don't need banned!

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 20, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kojiro posted:

Wow no? No this wasnt a performance piece what the hell, this was an actual person in crisis, acting as though mental health issues in any way benefit either art or artist is very not great actually

I do not mean to suggest that it was a performance piece and I don't think I did? It was a very profound and resonant statement, and essentially indistinguishable from deliberate art without prior context. The entire thing is tragic and in no way does the pain the creator felt make the "faking depression" statement better as art, nor does any artistic merit it might have had make their suffering "better" or more justified. It's just a thing that happened.

There is a debate to be had here as to where these things cross the line into voyeurism, and I acknowledge that I am wholly unqualified to determine that, so I apologize if I am out of line. I certainly would have been less comfortable with this line of discussion had PFSC itself not just re-emerged, but I agree that still doesn't make all aspects of the creator's life fair game.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Kojiro posted:

Apologies, I'm perhaps a little extra snippy on this one because I've seen too many "its helpful for an artist to suffer" takes over the years and they immediately make me bristle. Got a lot of thoughts about how public an internet person's everything has to be too, it's just a lot.

^^ it's fine it's okay you don't need banned!

oh god no I definitely miscommunicated then

if brain problems could be tended to adequately and the entire system wasn't out to destroy the people who dream of bigger things, art would have a loving revolution

jesus christ I wish suffering and art didn't overlap so much, I have seen so many webcomics turn out to be burning fuses and I hate it

edit: to be clear when I say I wish suffering and art didn't overlap I don't mean they're intrinsically linked, I mean I wish trying to be an artist didn't so frequently have to be Hell

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 20, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

stab stabby posted:

im going to crack you like a walnut

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I could get one person with that weird take but how the gently caress are there 4 different people in the thread saying it

I feel like people have Big Brained themselves into "having a mental breakdown is actually good because it's sticking it to the libs"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Life can be painful, art can be a good way to cope with it. Art is not the root of the pain, except in the case of the three stooges.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
lol

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FunkyAl posted:

Life can be painful, art can be a good way to cope with it. Art is not the root of the pain, except in the case of the three stooges.

Wise guy, eh?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm rereading Dr Mcninja and on this page Doc is like "Haha Franz Rayner's plan to kill the President and take over never could have worked, the framers of the Constitution created checks and balances so that the government can't be taken over by one lunatic, he'd have to kill the legislative and judicial branches too!"

The 2000s were a more innocent time

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The United States is eventually taken over by a lone lunatic in that comic though.

Also the constitution is at least partially enforced by the negazone thing right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While the checks and balances didn't exactly prove robust, I think the overall structure of the constitution held firm enough that somebody couldn't just take the presidency by killing the president. The process of becoming president is stupid and doesn't require the support of the majority of the electorate, but it's not that stupid.

Also the whole reason impeachment didn't stick was because there's a whole cult of personality around Trump that the congressional Republicans want to ride on, but Frans Rayner specifically lacks the charisma for that sort of thing, hence the whole plan with Gordito's mustache.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

fun hater posted:

im going to crack you like a walnut

Ah, at the time, I had only seen the statement itself, and hadn't seen the stuff from the creators' friends. From the "i've been faking being depressed" statement alone, I thought it was a clever critique of that exact idea that artists had to suffer for their work. Then, a few weeks later, I saw a bunch of people who were really angry that the creator was slow to ship books, and thought that the angry fans were the reason they disappeared. Apologies!

edit: ugh, knowing it was a real crisis feels terrible. I saw a few fans who took the statement at face value and then stopped reading the rest of the posts that popped up around it. Now I wish I stuck around more to see what the creator's friends had to say

stab stabby fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 21, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wise guy, eh?

*Claps you two on the head* That's enough from the peanut gallery *turns around and walks face first into a low hanging street sign*

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Why I oughta...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[extremely Shemp voice] I'm Shemp.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'm kind of fuzzy remembering the whole PFSC episode. I remember it feeling like performance art at the time. Didn't it involve mailing dead wasps to people? Or was that just a fever dream of mine?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Pavlov posted:

I'm kind of fuzzy remembering the whole PFSC episode. I remember it feeling like performance art at the time. Didn't it involve mailing dead wasps to people? Or was that just a fever dream of mine?

I mostly saw it from the perspective of the author's horrified friends posting on twitter, so no.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pavlov posted:

the wasps were part of the kickstarter and presentation of the book. it wasnt performance art. im begging people to reign back the skepticism on a complete stranger's open struggles with mental illness.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I know nothing about this, but speaking personally it is also its very possible to be trying to do art even during a massive mental break, where the mental break itself is obviously not art but your brain is sort... of trying to make art from it, as an escape valve?

My crazytime art is generally a mess of half baked, half finished ideas though.

So even if art happened, that doesnt mean the mental break itself wasn't real.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I’m also thinking imposter syndrome combined with depression might lead someone to the flawed conclusion «I’m not feeling bad in the «correct» and expected way, do I have depression at all?»

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There is also the very real possibility that the "it's performance art" justification was made after the fact.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

literally the only people saying its performance art are in this thread. what the gently caress

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

fun hater posted:

literally the only people saying its performance art are in this thread. what the gently caress

Actually all these posts are performance art, not people missing the point.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Having inadvertently kicked this whole mess off, I guess I should clarify that I never once thought that the PFSC author was actually 'faking having depression'. That I think the statement is a good piece of art doesn't mean that I think it was all 'faked' or 'performance art' or not based on something real or whatever? Or that I'm saying that it's helpful for artists to suffer?

In their own words:

I'VE BEEN PRETENDING TO BE PRETENDING TO HAVE DEPRESSION FOR PROFIT AND I'M SORRY posted:

The idea of a happy person drawing hundreds to thousands of compulsively melancholic stick figures "for profit" is a funny idea.
The idea that a person could believe that all depressed people are "faking it" is funny.

e: as an attempt to steer the thread into more recent waters, Marblegate's starting to get particularly interesting, and has recently gone through a relatively successful donation drive; as a d&d themed, well drawn comic I don't understand how it's not more popular.

And as a bonus, have some Irritability, another vaguely d&d-themed webcomic I am becoming more and more convinced that no-one else has ever heard of.

Clean Your Teeth fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 25, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Clean Your Teeth posted:

And as a bonus, have some Irritability, another vaguely d&d-themed webcomic I am becoming more and more convinced that no-one else has ever heard of.

It's such a great comic, I just wish he'd update more.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I kind of remeber Irritability! Well enough to recognize Chappy at least, nothing else is ringing a bell. I dipped into the archive but theres a decades worth of comics in there I can't find anything I remeber reading so far.

Nice to see its still going at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The entirety of PFSC exists on a sliding scale between being a creative outlet to cope with depression and being an uncomfortably personal window into someone's raw depression and it's not always easy to tell from the outside where exactly it crosses from one to the other.