Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

oh god, a world without the Irishman? what would we ever do??!!

Mallory [offscreen]: Well there'd be an awful lot less potatoes being drank, I can tell you that much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

id have 3 1/2 hours of my life back is what

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

legit thought this was just a racist tweet for a second

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lol yes parasite wouldnt get made under socilaism since it's a loving criticism of capitalism good job

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there’d be no capitalism to criticize!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Aglet56 posted:

Watch the true 3 hour epic. Avengers: Endgame.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

legit thought this was just a racist tweet for a second

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

never count out The Zeppo

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Besides being in the right time and place, Star Wars had a lot of talented people work on the movie. Hell I think it was Coppola who gave editing advice, Lucas's wife pretty much saves the movie in the editing bay by giving the attack on the Death Star some stakes. For as much praise as the prequels get now for being the last time a film maker had their unvarnished vision put to screen, the original trilogy worked because people were able to tell Lucas no, and which ideas were dumb. People say that oh used car salesman lizard Obi-wan would be cool, because it stands as a contrasting idea to what we actually got, and someone could find that alternative interesting n if that's what we'd gotten in '77 Star Wars would be a footnote. Though I wonder if ILM would have continued to be a thing if Star Wars had failed. I don't know if you get big special effects movies if Star Wars bombed.

It's been a while but iirc Coppola single handedly saved Star Wars because Fox was sick of Lucas and wanted to fire him at one point due to a ballooning budget. Coppola talked Fox out of it by pointing to Lucas's $13k salary for the entire production (famously offset later by Lucas having full merch rights and ILM/Lucasarts)

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I think the real tragedy is that Lucas's Modesto compound was meant to be a safe place for independent filmmakers like Les Blank and Ron Fricke to experiment but that all got set aside because the operation was so expensive to maintain

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think the irishman was good personally

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

didn't Coppola tell Lucas he needed a crawl at the beginning because of how bonkers the story was

e: or was that De Palma

e2: it was DePalma, and he just rewrote it to not be a mess. apparently Coppola was trying to convince Lucas to direct Apocalypse Now instead of working on Star Wars lol. also, DePalma did most of the casting work for Lucas. god drat this dude really just bumbled his way into these movies

indigi has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Feb 19, 2021

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
where were you when kim k split up with yeezus christ
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1362861019819728896?s=20

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

lmao I decided to dig out Blockbusting, by George Lucas (this thing is a beast) and the entry for Star Wars says it was originally supposed to take place in the 33rd century and Luke would 60 years old in EP IV. It took Lucas two years to write the screenplay once the treatment was optioned by Fox

There's contradictory info here from other stuff I've read by Lucas and Coppola– like it says that Lucas was paid 600k to direct but spent 400k of it on the hiring writers and concept artists, which I guess I forgot about

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that seems like a really high salary for a director in the mid 70s

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

drat, I forgot that this book uses numbers adjusted for inflation– I was way off the mark. here's the chart:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

indigi posted:

apparently Coppola was trying to convince Lucas to direct Apocalypse Now instead of working on Star Wars lol.

:psyduck:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

apparently Coppola was trying to convince Lucas to direct Apocalypse Now instead of working on Star Wars lol.

I'm just so tired of all these Apocalypse Nows

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Isn't Tropic Thunder sorta based on John Milius's original script that he wrote with Lucas for Apocalypse Now, which was way over the top because Milius was mad about missing Vietnam?

also, Lucas wanted Apocalypse Now to be shot like a documentary in 16 mm

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I literally just started watching Tropic Thunder on Prime and one of the trivia bits that came up was that Yasiin Bey was offered the role of Alpa Chino and turned it down. bad decision

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
remembering one of the special features of my apocalypse now dvd was John Milius gleefully describing wartime atrocities in the ‘Nam that vets told him about

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

um excuse me i think youll find that apocalypse now actually makes it very clear that wartime atrocities are bad and its only dumb people who thought the ride of the valkyries scene looked badass

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

lol Kris Jong-un

well I'm glad they are maintaining amicable communications as they tackle co-parenting

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Saw this just now and it made me think of Aguirre: The Wrath of God, which was a template for Coppola

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1362967021156204546?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BoosterDuck posted:

Ever since the wedding I've said it's all just a lead up to the great divorce of our time

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i've posted about it before, but i think kanye hate is way overblown. 99% of the things people hate him for are about him being an rear end in a top hat to other celebrities. like are we supposed to be upset that he hosed up taylor swift's award show speech 11 years ago? lol

he's obviously got big league mental health issues, which is sad. of course, he is a multi-millionaire, so you gotta temper that with some eat-the-rich mentality. i have no doubt he was a dick to his employees at that COVID-proof island resort he went to where he showed that creepy robert kardashian hologram. but that's hardly unique to kanye

really his biggest crime is that his last two albums were terrible

edit: oh yeah and he was a trump supporter lol. but that was pretty clearly just for-real brain worms

Aglet56 has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Feb 20, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Aglet56 posted:

edit: oh yeah and he was a trump supporter lol. but that was pretty clearly just for-real brain worms

As opposed to being a Biden supporter?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Aglet56 posted:

i've posted about it before, but i think kanye hate is way overblown. 99% of the things people hate him for are about him being an rear end in a top hat to other celebrities. like are we supposed to be upset that he hosed up taylor swift's award show speech 11 years ago? lol

he's obviously got big league mental health issues, which is sad. of course, he is a multi-millionaire, so you gotta temper that with some eat-the-rich mentality. i have no doubt he was a dick to his employees at that COVID-proof island resort he went to where he showed that creepy robert kardashian hologram. but that's hardly unique to kanye

really his biggest crime is that his last two albums were terrible

Yeah, he's a weirdo. But some of his tracks are great

That's the most I think about Kanye.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm not smart enough to write a full explainer thing, but MBDTF was an early welcomed indictment of Obama-era malaise. Kanye, despite already being rich and on top of the empire at that time, saw those tensions and dug into them.

I'll give him credit for not doing the "Obama's Spotify list" sellout pivot.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Some Guy TT posted:

um excuse me i think youll find that apocalypse now actually makes it very clear that wartime atrocities are bad and its only dumb people who thought the ride of the valkyries scene looked badass

milnius was definitely writing a love letter to atrocity that was only saved by coppola's direction

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

by sucking up to trump, kanye and kim got a bunch of people released from prison

objectively more of a positive result than any dem sycophant celeb has achieved

terrifying to think about!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

more of a positive result than nojoes as well tbf

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

VileLL posted:

by sucking up to trump, kanye and kim got a bunch of people released from prison

objectively more of a positive result than any dem sycophant celeb has achieved

terrifying to think about!

brb transforming into a slamming babe with huge tiddies

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

there's Fantastic Four casting rumors going around. I firmly believe Nathan Fielder should be Mister Fantastic.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

people forget but thx 1138 and american graffiti are really good.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Tricky D posted:

milnius was definitely writing a love letter to atrocity that was only saved by coppola's direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctaN72ySYlU

walter murch ftw

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ArmZ posted:

people forget but thx 1138 and american graffiti are really good.

The whole "Star Wars was terrible and George Lucas is a hack and Marcia Lucas made a good movie" narrative doesn't really hold weight. Every movie is terrible before a good editor gets their hands on it. Yes, Marcia Lucas' masterful editing is important to what makes Star Wars a classic, but she couldn't have done that without having high quality raw materials. I've seen many movies with great editing that were still trash.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Atrocious Joe posted:

there's Fantastic Four casting rumors going around. I firmly believe Nathan Fielder should be Mister Fantastic.

Yeah I've seen it. Nathan as Mr fantastic is some inspired fan casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

the studio originally wanted American Graffiti to go straight to TV because they thought it was just a long chain of music videos