Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

“International”

Does it seem more normal to people outside the US to see American flags all over something run by Americans and then be told that it’s an international effort with support from many countries?

If I had to guess, if you show a bunch of guys (even the good guys) running around firing laser guns everywhere that's scary. Being told "don't worry this is an elite American unit" still makes that scary. Because you don't automatically assume that the American soldier with a gun won't shoot you in the face.

If you are told that it's an International Special Force there is at least a small chance the guy with the gun is from your country and might not shoot you.
And if you watch the show about the super Military squad going all over the world to stop COBRA, knowing that they are an international recognised squad means "hey maybe they aren't just invading these countries."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Losing 'crashing from the sky, comes the fearful cry' I cannot forgive nor forget.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Was GI Joe similarly localized for other countries though? The UK is probably on the bottom of the list of countries that would be worried about the sudden arrival of US soldiers. Unless it was like within a few decades of 1800.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Was GI Joe similarly localized for other countries though? The UK is probably on the bottom of the list of countries that would be worried about the sudden arrival of US soldiers. Unless it was like within a few decades of 1800.

I think it was to minimize the jingoistic element and the military element. The original Joe dolls were call Action Man over here. And remember this was when we had weird rules that meant TMNT couldn't use the word Ninja or have Mikey use his nunchaku.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I think it was to minimize the jingoistic element and the military element. The original Joe dolls were call Action Man over here. And remember this was when we had weird rules that meant TMNT couldn't use the word Ninja or have Mikey use his nunchaku.

If it helps the latter bit made its way back to the States. The Turtles using their weapons (save for Donnie bonking people with his stick, because bludgeoning is fine) was less and less a thing as the cartoon drug on. Mikey eventually just used, like, a grappling hook. And there's that bit in the movies where Leo never draws his swords once, including when they were caught in a giant net.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is that new Batman animated feature Soul of the Dragon any good

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that new Batman animated feature Soul of the Dragon any good

It’s pretty good. They have a lot of fun with the 70s kung-fu movie theme, and Batman is much more of a side character so everyone else gets a lot of shine.

The actual plot is kinda weak, but I think the characters being great carries the whole thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Justice League, Justice League Unlimited and Batman: Brave and the Bold are on HBOMax now. Static Shock and The Batman (the one with rasta Joker) to be added feb 15.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It’s pretty good. They have a lot of fun with the 70s kung-fu movie theme, and Batman is much more of a side character so everyone else gets a lot of shine.

I didn't think in TYOOL 2020 we'd get something with O-Sensei in it.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Justice League, Justice League Unlimited and Batman: Brave and the Bold are on HBOMax now. Static Shock and The Batman (the one with rasta Joker) to be added feb 15.

The Batman wasn't that great for the first couple of seasons but then got better later on, if I remember correctly, right? Also is the Brave and the Bold on HBOMax as well? I miss John DiMaggio Aquaman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Achernar posted:

The Batman wasn't that great for the first couple of seasons but then got better later on, if I remember correctly, right? Also is the Brave and the Bold on HBOMax as well? I miss John DiMaggio Aquaman.

The Batman started off weak (that original theme, Jesus), but it was also a victim of preconceptions, because people hated it for Rasta Joker and because it did its own thing, rather than an attempt at BTAS Version 3.0.

The last few seasons are genuinely great, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'd probably like it more if it was more of a departure from BTAS. Some of its episodes feel like they're scripts from BTAS that were left in a locker for 10 years and dug out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really like The Batman, it definitely got way more poo poo than it deserved for not being B:TAS, but it was never trying to be anyways. First season's a little rough, but still got some decent episodes, but after that it finds its footing. I thought season 5 when they started to bring in the Justice League wasn't that great, but I do kinda wish they got to work on other DC shows. I think a Justice League by The Batman people could have been a lot of fun.

Weird choice how the early theme song was way darker than the show itself though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I thought The Batman started off pretty strongly outside of being a bit heavy handed with how Toyetic it is at times and some of the villains being a bit undercooked(pretty much just Mr Freeze, Bane, and Catwoman though), and remained strong throughout almost all of it's run except for maybe the finale which was kinda weak and how it's version of the Justice League was an utter sausage fest

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I admittedly confuse The Batman (or as The Edge sings, "The Batmaaaaaan...") with Beware the Batman which had the cool idea of partnering Bruce up with Katana.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I thought The Batman started off pretty strongly outside of being a bit heavy handed with how Toyetic it is at times and some of the villains being a bit undercooked(pretty much just Mr Freeze, Bane, and Catwoman though), and remained strong throughout almost all of it's run except for maybe the finale which was kinda weak and how it's version of the Justice League was an utter sausage fest

I think the first season's issue was that the toyetic bits were, as you say, a bit heavy handed, and not using/being able to use various bits of Batman because they were "tied up" with other stuff led to some bits of weirdness, like Gordon not showing up until the... first season finale? Or was the first season finale Clayface? Either way, he showed up surprisingly late and then you got Batgirl showing up as the first sidekick because, if I remember right, they couldn't use Robin until Teen Titans ended or something, which worked but was certainly a choice.

There was that one episode with Hugo Strange that was absolutely supposed to be Scarecrow, he even uses fear gas, but I guess they couldn't use him because of Batman Begins? God, that was such a strange policy.

Dawgstar posted:

I admittedly confuse The Batman (or as The Edge sings, "The Batmaaaaaan...") with Beware the Batman which had the cool idea of partnering Bruce up with Katana.

I only saw the first episode of Beware the Batman, it looked like an interesting take on Batman, and I thought what I saw looked pretty good visually, but I never saw any other episodes and I heard they ended up showing the last half of the last season at like, 2AM or something to get it off the schedule?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Timby posted:

The Batman started off weak (that original theme, Jesus)

This put me down a mini rabbit hole, and yeah, that first theme isn't great. It's kinda going for a dark mystery vibe which could totally fit batman, but a third of hte footage being fitting animation made for the intro and the other two thirds just being whatever they could grab from the first few episodes kill it almost as bad as the song ending ten seconds before the intro is done. The one that replaces it, tho. Holy poo poo we go from that to 15 seconds of mashing mystery some strange escalations and then mashes up the Hawaii Five-O and Adam West's Batman themes together and kinda slaps??

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

I think the first season's issue was that the toyetic bits were, as you say, a bit heavy handed, and not using/being able to use various bits of Batman because they were "tied up" with other stuff led to some bits of weirdness, like Gordon not showing up until the... first season finale? Or was the first season finale Clayface? Either way, he showed up surprisingly late and then you got Batgirl showing up as the first sidekick because, if I remember right, they couldn't use Robin until Teen Titans ended or something, which worked but was certainly a choice.

There was that one episode with Hugo Strange that was absolutely supposed to be Scarecrow, he even uses fear gas, but I guess they couldn't use him because of Batman Begins? God, that was such a strange policy.

I'm not even sure what the idea of the embargos was supposed to be, especially when it was preventing the cartoons from using properties because of the movies. Like... surely you WANT the cartoons to have the things in the movie so kids see the cartoon and go "oh, that's like that thing I saw at the theatre/that mom and dad like".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't think that The Batman's theme was that bad, but to be honest, what I remembered at first was the Beware the Bat theme that has a similar mood but does it much better. Looking up the later The Batman theme, it sounds like a modern remix of the 60s theme, which seems to fit the more stylized and exaggerated design of the show.

I tried watching The Batman a while back, and I couldn't really stick with it because it was just so slow. I feel like the whole mystery aspect of the police always chasing Batman, is mostly a waste of time since the audience already knows the other side of the mystery, and it's not like any of the villains are subtle. Maybe I'll try skipping to later sometime.

When you're remaking a property and the last incarnation was pretty renowned, It's definitely the right decision to try going a totally different direction from the last one, but I think The Batman was trying to be both more subtle and thoughtful, but also more exaggerated and weird, at least early on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MorningMoon posted:

This put me down a mini rabbit hole, and yeah, that first theme isn't great. It's kinda going for a dark mystery vibe which could totally fit batman, but a third of hte footage being fitting animation made for the intro and the other two thirds just being whatever they could grab from the first few episodes kill it almost as bad as the song ending ten seconds before the intro is done. The one that replaces it, tho. Holy poo poo we go from that to 15 seconds of mashing mystery some strange escalations and then mashes up the Hawaii Five-O and Adam West's Batman themes together and kinda slaps??

Yeah I love The Batman's 2nd theme, it's catchy as hell.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Call me a heathen but The Batman S1 Batmobile is my all-time favorite.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

I only saw the first episode of Beware the Batman, it looked like an interesting take on Batman, and I thought what I saw looked pretty good visually, but I never saw any other episodes and I heard they ended up showing the last half of the last season at like, 2AM or something to get it off the schedule?

That sounds right. If I'm not mistaken it was a victim of the Cartoon Network imitative to strangle all their action shows as fast as they could because they decided whatever else was the hot thing to chase at the time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

That sounds right. If I'm not mistaken it was a victim of the Cartoon Network imitative to strangle all their action shows as fast as they could because they decided whatever else was the hot thing to chase at the time.

Really more that CN hated having to deal with shows from other Time-Warner subsidiaries cause they don't get all the money from airing them like with their own shows, hence why pretty much everything from either DC or WB Animation would end up dying a swift ignoble death, only reason Teen Titans Go didn't suffer a similar fate is because it got stupid popular and cause CN was given a much larger piece of the revenue pie than in past DC shows

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Got around to watching Superman: Man of Tomorrow and while it was pretty good, I can't help but feel that the writers realized that a story about the early days of Superman's career is dull as dirt so they stuck in Lobo because all the cool kids think he's rad, and then later threw in a Godzilla, because why not?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel like you could make a really loving awesome and kid friendly animated film based on Grant Morrison's 12 issues of New 52 Action Comics.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's because Lobo was in Max Landis' Superman: American Alien and Man of Tomorrow is a loose adaptation of that book but uncredited since Landis has rightfully been unpersoned for being a sex pest

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Poor max landis, how will he put food on the table now. Somebody please think of the millionaires.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Poor max landis, how will he put food on the table now. Somebody please think of the millionaires.

He could try not raping women for a while.

But I mean, when you have such a helicopter parent you're bound to grow up with some hosed up ideas about personal boundaries.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Skwirl posted:

He could try not raping women for a while.

But I mean, when you have such a helicopter parent you're bound to grow up with some hosed up ideas about personal boundaries.

Holy poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

eventually people are going to stop a.) making that joke and b.) reacting to people making that joke like they've never ever heard it before

Alaois fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 15, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jokes aside, I do think knowing your father killed two children and a stunt man with very little consequence might be an influence on your own attitude towards personal behavior and responsibility.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of light on details right now but HBO Max and Cartoon Network have announced a Teen Titans Go spinoff set in the world of The Night Begins to Shine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Boo. When they beat it into the dirt so hard it stopped actually being a joke, it stopped being entertaining. I guess in retrospect I definitely see how that second movie-special was actually a backdoor pilot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I agree. It was fun as a campy parody for a short time, but beyond that? Hard pass.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It can work if it happens to travel through a bunch of genres. If it's literally 80s Synthwave Vanart Rock then.... mehhh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o
Full trailer for Invincible. Yeah, if you weren't a fan of the ultraviolence in the comic it looks like it is still there. Also the trailer comes pretty drat close to giving away the first big twist of the series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think they're trying to make it clear 'THERE IS A TWIST' without actually showing it, although even not knowing the source material I'm sure most people can guess what it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o
Full trailer for Invincible. Yeah, if you weren't a fan of the ultraviolence in the comic it looks like it is still there. Also the trailer comes pretty drat close to giving away the first big twist of the series.

I always felt the violence was kind of a shame because for me personally it felt jarring but also I knew it meant there were a lot of people I knew who'd like Invincible otherwise but wouldn't read it because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait to see ultraviolence and limbs being ripped off and rape in poorly animated form.