Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It looks like it is mostly fine in the smaller form factor, but it looks almost annoyingly unusable when fully extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The correct answer at the CSL end is to get the P1 and McLaren rims, because dual clutches are amazing

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Skip the p1 and get the WRC. Much better button layout, and a quick release that doesn’t involve a screw.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Bentai posted:

Skip the p1 and get the WRC. Much better button layout, and a quick release that doesn’t involve a screw.
tru. i got my p1 back before the wrc was available.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New update to Automobilista today, primarily focusing on AI and making them behave more realistically in the rain.

quote:

V1.1.1.1 -> V1.1.1.3 CHANGELOG

UI & HUD
Fixed Time Trial info incorrectly hiding current lap time in live sessions
Adjusted element/text size of audio device and controller model selection inputs to better suit long names
Exposing assignments for Gear 7 & 8 and Telemetry HUD mode switching
Added GT1 and G40C to vehicle filter definitions

PHYSICS
Further substantial reduction of slick adhesion on a wet track
Further adjustments to wet tires for various cars
Disabled legacy manifold pressure function (now solely using our own AMS1-based throttle mapping to adjust throttle response for each engine)
Disabled redundant legacy function applying aero torque to the frontend when car was airborne (could cause cars to nosedive after getting airborne)
Further adjusted aero draft effects
Corrected tire tread dimensions for Copa Classic, F-Trainer
Fixed error in Group A / Procar front tire tread
Fixed error in F-Ultimate tires speed effect
Adjusted tire tread optimal temperature range for Caterhams, ARC Camaro, Copa Truck
Further adjustments to dry tire falloff rates on wet surface (including grooved / road tires)
Minor default setup adjustments for Metalmoro AJR, Sigma P1, Metalmoro MRX, Roco 001, Mclaren 570S, Mclaren 720S GT3, Mercedes AMG GT3, Porsche GT3-R, Porsche Cup & all Copa Classic cars (setup reset recommended)
Metalmoro AJR: Small aero revisions; adjusted engine compression curves for Nissan V6 & Honda Turbo variants; Disabled redundant DRS icon for Nissan V6 & Honda turbo variants
Slightly reduced crankshaft mass for F-Trainers, MCR, ARC Camaro (less engine inertia)
F-Retro: Small aero revisions to all cars
Disabled AJR DRS icon for V6, Honda variants
Reduced F1 pitstop tire change timings

AI
Added car-specific overrides for AI performance on a wet track (on slicks & wet tires) & added new parameter to callibrate AI performance with wet tires on a drying track
Further AI callibration passes
Further slightly reduced AI CoG height scale to minimise chances of AI cars rolling over high curbs
Slightly raised AI lateral movement rate for overtaking & passing boosts (to mitigate getting stuck on straights)
Slightly reduced AI braking point offset
Reduced AI lifting off throttle over puddles to 50%
Slightly increased range of performance from AI drivers

TRACKS
Nurburgring: Minor art pass & fixes
Revised VR trackside cams at Silverstone & Spa-Francorchamps to disable DOF blur (ongoing process to be applied to all tracks)
Further weather probability adjustments (slightly less rain in rainy locations)

VEHICLES
Fixed missing wiper animations on Ginetta G40 Cup & Ginetta G55 GT4
Added Dirt/Scratch map for F-Retros, Lotus 72E, Mclaren M23 & Brabham BT44
Analogue gauges now light up when lights are on

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Has anyone made a custom driver/configurator for Logitech wheels? The LGS sucks so hard and G Hub sucks even more.
I installed LGS for the first time in a long while and it is only showing my keyboard despite showing my wheel exists in the settings.

Why is Logitech so bad ugh

E: Fixed it by installing older version. But still, it sucks so much, if there's a way to use these wheels without Logitech software I'd be super happy.

Another edit: This version doesn't let me change anything but the mappings and the sensitivities of various axis. Wtf

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 13, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Try using another usb port.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Absolute Drift is currently free on Epic Store.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Considering wetting my feet with racing games. Can be arcade-like. I seem to develop an interest in classic racing cars and I wonder if there is a game that offers that, perhaps including some of the ambience of that time (70's). I have a low-midrange PC (AMD 2700 + NV 1060 6GB). Is there a game that lets me drive a Lancia Stratos or Porsche 917? That would be cool. Thanks racing goons.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If you want variety, Assetto Corsa (the original one, not Competizione) goes on sale relatively often, has a ton of historic cars (make sure to get the expansions) and is pretty much infinitely moddable.

It's not exactly arcadey, most people regard it as one of the better sim driving models for realism out there.

Slightly more sim-cade is Project Cars 2, has quite a lot of historic race car content (again, make sure to grab the DLC for extra tasty historics)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Considering wetting my feet with racing games. Can be arcade-like. I seem to develop an interest in classic racing cars and I wonder if there is a game that offers that, perhaps including some of the ambience of that time (70's). I have a low-midrange PC (AMD 2700 + NV 1060 6GB). Is there a game that lets me drive a Lancia Stratos or Porsche 917? That would be cool. Thanks racing goons.

Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Horizon 4 for arcadey games. They work with controllers or wheels. They have hundreds of cars and a game-like progression. They don’t have VR of that’s a concern. If you want to try sims, Assetto Corsa has mods available for those cars (and many others, as well as pretty much any track you can think of). Assetto Corsa isn’t great with a controller and there isn’t much “game” to it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Yep, I only have a controller so far. Anyway, those are some great recommendations. Thanks MazeOfTzeentch and GutBomb! I googled all of these and decided I'd wait and see how "Forza Horizon 4", which presumably has less tuning than its "Motorsports" counterpart, will turn out. Thanks again!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Horizon is very much the slidey drifty open world funtimes Forza so yeah, that's almost certainly the one if you just want to take a vintage Ferrari or something and thrash it around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you want to drive a lancia stratos, you want dirt rally 1 or 2.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Cojawfee posted:

If you want to drive a lancia stratos, you want dirt rally 1 or 2.

Not with a controller you don't

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Vando posted:

Not with a controller you don't

Dirt rally 2 is fine with a controller, imo. I played with a controller for a year before i bought my wheel (i'm slower with the wheel).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

GT Legends is a bit long in the tooth but it's still a lot of fun.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Sarrisan posted:

Dirt rally 2 is fine with a controller, imo. I played with a controller for a year before i bought my wheel (i'm slower with the wheel).

Yeah, I'm racing DR2 with a group and two of them play on controllers well enough.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Dirt Rally series is uh, not arcadey.

It's one of my favorite sims but it accommodates zero loving around.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I believe the Stratos is in Dirt 4, and the mainline Dirt games are more specifically made for gamepads, though I don't recall if they retooled Dirt 4's realism after Rally was so successful. Either way, people have made Rally work with gamepads, a d Steam has a generous enough refund period that there's no harm in loving around with DR or D4.

While I don't remember the car selection offhand, I remember Grid Autosport being a decent simcade experience, with the added bonus of having good "game" features, like career mode and such. The more realistic sims tend to omit those guided career modes, with the exception of Project CARS.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Sarrisan posted:

Yeah I remember the first game being tough on a controller but 2.0 is really nice.

Can’t go wrong with FH4 and DR2.0 imo.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The Stratos is also in FH4 so no worries there

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

While waiting for this past year for a deal and never finding one, I have given up and I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet.

My interest is mostly in Rally driving, so I'm looking for a good setup for that. I think I'm going to buy
this: (550$) https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/csl-elite-racing-wheel-wrc-for-xbox-one-pc
+ this: (230$) https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedals-lc

Is that a good idea or should I got with the normal packages they have here:
(700$) https://fanatec.com/us-en/bundles/csl-elite-f1-set-officially-licensed-for-playstation
(800$) https://fanatec.com/us-en/bundles/csl-elite-formula-set-for-xbox

I can't tell the difference between these two sets, I am not sure why one is 100 dollars more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One comes with CSL wheel and one comes with a clubsport wheel, which has more features and is more expensive. The way fanatec works is that the bits that work with playstation are in the base and the bits that work with xbox are in the wheel. I don't remember why they did it that way, but that's how it is. So the xbox version has a fancier wheel that comes with the electronics that make it work on xbox.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Cojawfee posted:

One comes with CSL wheel and one comes with a clubsport wheel, which has more features and is more expensive.
No, both are Clubsport wheels, one is the Formula V2 Xbox wheel and one is the F1 Esports PS wheel. The only difference (aside from the platform compatibility) is there's more buttons on the V2 and I think the rim is carbon fibre.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
You have to pay a license fee to Microsoft for peripherals that work with the XBox, so they put the functionality into the wheel in order to not have that upcharge on every base sold.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That esports wheel would be a perfect indycar/ adjustment dial wheel depending on the price... But looks like it's not available as a single piece in the us.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I run IndyCar with the CSL Elite Mclaren GT3 rim and I have just enough buttons for everything I want, although I have to swap mappings for push to pass and weight jacker every week, although I could probably do away with a couple of buttons I don't regularly use and not have to worry about it

The top two buttons are look left and look right (single monitor poverty crew :smith:), two dials are for ARBs, left toggle is for fuel map, right toggle for brake balance, right two thumbs buttons are for weight jacker up/down or push to pass and look down (to check push to pass remaining as my simhub dash doesn't have it), N is voice chat, P is pit limiter, and the left two thumbs buttons are discord PTT and crew chief PTT. Funky switch is for black box stuff

If I took discord to vox, I could reclaim the discord button for P2P and bind the bottom right button to look down and be okay

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

tater_salad posted:

That esports wheel would be a perfect indycar/ adjustment dial wheel depending on the price... But looks like it's not available as a single piece in the us.

It doesn't have any dials, unless you count the funkyswitch which is a bit of a fiddly dial. Everything else is just buttons.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vando posted:

It doesn't have any dials, unless you count the funkyswitch which is a bit of a fiddly dial. Everything else is just buttons.

Yeah I think one funky switch would probably be enough i dunno. I might look into the McLaren rim at some point.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does anyone have any worn out grips (like from a fanatec formula wheel) that they replaced with new ones? I do leatherworking and I'm wanting to experiment with doing a veg tan leather conversion with some just to see how it turns out and whether it would be feasible to start producing them in my spare time. I'm in Canada but I can't imagine they'd be expensive to ship.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I stopped being lazy and swapped my racing stuff back onto my simpit, and god drat RaceRoom is so good. The audio effects are right up there with Elite Dangerous for my favorite in a VR game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The RaceRoom lover has logged on (that's me). RaceRoom is still my favourite sim.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would probably play RaceRoom more if had a way of actually navigating its menus without a mouse. Or if it played nice with the wireless mouse I have in my rig.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I use a wireless mouse...it's fine imo? I had way worse problems with AC

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's fine for the most part, then it won't recognise clicks in that loading screen prompt before a race where you need to press a button to proceed because that apparently needs to be a thing in a game being actively developed in 2021 and isn't a thing in practice mode. So if I'm in VR I need to get up and fumble around for my keyboard to get past that loading screen. It's not a gigantic deal, but it's enough of a pain in the rear end that it makes me not want to play R3E if the thing I want to drive is in something else.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm playing racing sims for the first time since getting a 3080 (I'd been on a flight sim kick prior to this weekend) and this is so much better now. Project CARS still has a bunch of weird shimmering that I can't seem to get rid of (any tips?), but AC at high res looks great, especially with a good PP filter and the custom shaders patch (Smart Mirrors is wonderful). I don't expect iRacing to be much different since it's such an old engine, but AC and PCARS' engines seem to take good advantage of the additional GPU power. Gonna gently caress with DR2 later.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Shine posted:

I'm playing racing sims for the first time since getting a 3080 (I'd been on a flight sim kick prior to this weekend) and this is so much better now. Project CARS still has a bunch of weird shimmering that I can't seem to get rid of (any tips?), but AC at high res looks great, especially with a good PP filter and the custom shaders patch (Smart Mirrors is wonderful). I don't expect iRacing to be much different since it's such an old engine, but AC and PCARS' engines seem to take good advantage of the additional GPU power. Gonna gently caress with DR2 later.

For DR 2.0 at 4K, you may still need to turn down crowd density and some of the foliage a notch. I have a 2080ti and I drop below 60 in heavy crowd density areas at anything above Medium for crowd. I'd not be surprised if that was still a thing with a 3080.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Been pulling my old DFGT out of the closest with increasing frequency lately and am starting to get the itch to upgrade my racing gear to match the quality of my flight sim gear.

The recommended path is to start with pedals right? What’s the go to these days? Fanatec CSL LC, Clubsport V3, or is there a another brand I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cannot answer without budget and if you need more than PC compatibility, for starters