Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weka posted:

Stop trolling the OP.

Thank you.

Weka posted:

Dang that's a long time for a single dynasty, atleast for Europe. A quick Google tells me the Zhou in China were in power for almost 800 years and the current Japanese imperial house is over 1500 or 2500 years old depending on if you want solid historical attestation. Is there some fudging going on or a disparity in how dynasties are measured, like would you not count Queen Victoria and her son Edward VII as two different dynasties by the same metrics?

"Dynasty" is kind of flexible in its Asia use. The Japanese imperial line is claimed to be unbroken for that long, though that is considered questionable. The Imperial Household Agency will absolutely not let you do any research on it though so :shrug:. But the emperor often had no power and was just a figurehead, so everyone wanted to control him, not kill him. Changed the dynamics.

There are a lot of instances like that where the actual lineage is questionable, or a house would adopt (forced or not) someone and thus technically continue the same family. But the Chinese meaning of dynasty is more like a governmental apparatus that isn't necessarily the same family the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

I think they stole that music from America's Army

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
jesus it looks like both sides are trying to do riot control upstream :psyduck:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lol at the one guy who drowned.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
well, this is a bummer. China's indie music scene is awesome, and a lot of good local label releases were made easily accessible both inside and outside China through Bandcamp, but apparently some bureaucrat gently caress decided to torpedo that:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjp5pq/chinas-bandcamp-block-hurts-chinese-independent-music-censorship-streaming

music labels are a gently caress

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gotta poo poo on literally everything.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Gotta poo poo on literally everything.

Five Thousand Years

https://twitter.com/joexu/status/1363023448453177345?s=21

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

McGavin posted:

Lol at the one guy who drowned.

Serious question, how widespread is swimming ability in China? Though, I realize asking about a billion plus people as if they are a single group is a bit simplistic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I think you will find that China has 5000 years of history

In drowning

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hmm yes famous Anglo-NATO-Westerners the Egyptians

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Marcade posted:

Serious question, how widespread is swimming ability in China? Though, I realize asking about a billion plus people as if they are a single group is a bit simplistic.

My anecdotal experience is in both Korea and China, very very few people learn to swim. In Korea it made going to the beach a nightmare since if you go more than like, two meters from shore 50 lifeguards fuckin dive on you screaming.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They saw cleopatra and assumed rightfully that she was part of the ghost people sphere

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some chinese students got really mad locally when their textbooks mentioned 6-7 thousand year old first nations civilizations. How it's unfair to claim so much time when they did not have kingdoms or uninterrupted history. Also they were all savages so you can't say that's a civilization!!!! Also how do we know these artifacts are that many thousand years old, it's probably lies to try to one-up China.

My friend tough high school level history and anthropology and said almost every year there's one fat buzz-cut kid who just has to interject with china-facts any time the class covers any ancient civilization older than China.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

My anecdotal experience is in both Korea and China, very very few people learn to swim. In Korea it made going to the beach a nightmare since if you go more than like, two meters from shore 50 lifeguards fuckin dive on you screaming.

Last year in my job in Korea, I had multiple young students, (years 1-3) who would come to the hagwon after their swimming lessons. So I suppose that is changing.

And considering you mentioned Korean beaches, my anecdote related to that is apparently in Korea there is a hard and and fast rule as to when people go to the beach. As in one day, the beaches are packed to bursting with people covering every square inch of sand, and the next day, (even though it is just as hot and sunny, and indeed a Saturday), the beaches are empty. When I lived in Namhae, it was always cool to have the beach to yourself on these hot days outside of "beach season". Because trying to go to the beach when it was packed was always a hassle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was reaaaaallly lucky to not have to deal with that. When I did my ancient history courses I asked what they thought the oldest civilization was, fearing the worst, and everybody said Egypt. And they were really interested in how old some of the American cultures are, amazed people were building huge pyramids in Peru thousands of years before Chinese history, etc. They'd never learned about any of that before and had zero clue about the pre-Columbian Americas. If any of my students were huge morons they never spoke up about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

Last year in my job in Korea, I had multiple young students, (years 1-3) who would come to the hagwon after their swimming lessons. So I suppose that is changing.

That's good. I figured it was just because both countries were dirt poor until quite recently, so swimming wasn't high on the list of priorities.

Going to the beach outside beach season was the best. And it didn't cause as much pain as when every heater would be turned on full blast for Coat Season, regardless of outdoor temperature.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I think you will find that China has 5000 years of history

In drowning

Chinese civilization was literally founded after a bunch of people drowned in a flood.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Swimming has only been a common skill in the west quite recently - 100 years ago most white people, including sailors, wouldn't be able to swim. It's no surprise Chinese/Korean people are mostly unable to, if schools and culture aren't pushing them to learn.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 21, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm going to go even broader than that poster who asked about swimming and ask, is the middle east viewed as part of the west in different parts of east Asia?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

lolol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My grandfather just got an SA account and was a Korean War draftee. Literally was borderline shooting war with China the whole time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Probation: "Shut Up Leonard"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My grandfather just got an SA account and was a Korean War draftee. Literally was borderline shooting war with China the whole time.

I want to know how this came about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I want to know how this came about.

He answered some questions in the milHist thread and was like “wellllll... why not”

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

"Borderline" only in the sense that Chinese and US soldiers were very literally shooting at each other

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LimburgLimbo posted:

"Borderline" only in the sense that Chinese and US soldiers were very literally shooting at each other

And Mao’s dipshit kid got killed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah, I think we can put that one in ink. If Douglas "Mommy Issues" MacArthur had his way I'm pretty sure the entire Northeast of China would be a radioactive waste.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hey, at least American pilots never squared off against Russian ones in the 60’s.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Blistex posted:

Yeah, I think we can put that one in ink. If Douglas "Mommy Issues" MacArthur had his way I'm pretty sure the entire Northeast of China would be a radioactive waste.

If anything it's surprising they didn't nuke North Korea anyway once the US was getting their asses handed to them early after the entry of actual Chinese troops into the theater.

But in the end they just settled for bombing every man, woman, and child they could see north of the 38th.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just wish there were more translated works by Chinese historians and vets talking about the relationship between Mao, Kim, and their forces during the war. What little I have read and heard has been pretty funny with regards to how much each side hated/resented the other and how fragile the cooperation was at times.

It's honestly a miracle that N.K. didn't end up being completely absorbed by China and Kim being removed.

One of my favorite anecdotes (semi-related to Mao's son's death) was Chinese troops not believing (after North K. Troops tried to explain to them) that US airpower/artillery was so willing to waste ordinance that even fewer than a dozen people with no vehicles in sight was enough justification for a CAS/fire mission.

Also heard about actual exchanges of fire between PLA/NK troops because the Chinese would capture a UN aviator and the NKs wanted to execute him instead of trying to get Intel or use him as a bargaining chip later.

My father in law who lives in Jilin province (right on the border) is a history buff and heard from a lot of soldiers who fought in Korea saying that the average PLA soldier hated the NK more than the US because of how backwards, useless, and ungrateful they were. Also they apparently stole anything that wasn't nailed down. One of his funnier stories was the Chinese/NK thinking anything in a can that they liberated from the UN forces was food, and a bunch of guys getting really suck because they ate tins of captured leather wax.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sent the last half at least.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Blistex posted:

It's honestly a miracle that N.K. didn't end up being completely absorbed by China and Kim being removed.

That was never really on the cards. Not only had the China/NK relationship not nearly deteriorated enough in these early stages (and frankly their disagreements have never reached the level of 'must annex'), the Soviet Union would never have permitted it. At that point in history, the CCP was basically completely beholden to the Soviets and Kim himself was more or less installed as a Soviet puppet. Also fun fact, Kim had to be given language lessons to even speak Korean properly since he had actually grown up in Manchuria and been schooled in Chinese.

There's also a long list of other pragmatic reasons why that outcome was basically unthinkable at the time, but that's probably the main one.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Weka posted:

Stop trolling the OP.

Not trolling, but its not china so ill take it to the A/T thread.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

LimburgLimbo posted:

If anything it's surprising they didn't nuke North Korea anyway once the US was getting their asses handed to them early after the entry of actual Chinese troops into the theater.

But in the end they just settled for bombing every man, woman, and child they could see north of the 38th.

The U.S. was losing way before the entry of Chinese troops. NK troops had U.S. troops pinned in the Pusan Perimeter.

Ned Almond and MacArthur had no business leading and planning that attack. It was lucky that the landing at Inchon even succeeded in the first place.

OP Smith was under no illusions about the precariousness of the situation and made sure the whole group had a chance to get out by setting up supply dumps and securing the route out. Look up Fox Company and Captain Barber.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Daddy Ridgeway saved the day

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

AvesPKS posted:

The U.S. was losing way before the entry of Chinese troops. NK troops had U.S. troops pinned in the Pusan Perimeter.

Ned Almond and MacArthur had no business leading and planning that attack. It was lucky that the landing at Inchon even succeeded in the first place.

OP Smith was under no illusions about the precariousness of the situation and made sure the whole group had a chance to get out by setting up supply dumps and securing the route out. Look up Fox Company and Captain Barber.

Your timeline is a bit off. US and South Korean forces got its rear end handed to it early and got pushed back to the Pusan perimeter by Sept 1950, but then the US landed in Incheon and broke out and put the North Korean army on the retreat and pushed almost to the Yalu by November, and that’s when the Chinese started a full offensive on Nov 25th with the troops they had been bringing across the border in night to night marches since October. Up until then the North Korean forces had been completely broken and it was looking like the fighting would be over in a number of weeks. In reality there had already been some minor skirmishes with Chinese troops by that tome but UN/US leadership didn’t believe that China would fully commit.

This is of course regarding just official Chinese troops. China had in fact already released/sent some 10s of thousands of ethnic Korean combat vets to the North Korean army beforehand.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
That’s also one reason the conflict was so devastating, besides the general disregard for civilian lives from the US (who at the very minimum bombed indiscriminately) and South Korean forces who did at least a couple of known large-scale massacres and probably a number more unrecorded small ones, the battle lines basically went up and down most of Korea a couple times due to the back and forth.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Well, at the beginning of the conflict US troops weren't really there in force due to an ongoing withdrawal. Throw in that US leadership was wary of the South Korean government at the time and refused to sell them heavier armaments because nobody wanted them to start a war with the North and it's really not a surprise things initially went so badly.

Incheon wasn't just a big deal because it encircled DPRK forces - that was the point where the US finally had significant forces on the peninsula.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Let's just take a minute to remember how in '68 Nixon torpedoed the peace talks so he could win the election.

I guess running a back channel to a foreign power and getting insider info from the CIA director really helps you get a war going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
thats the vietnam war

vietnam =/= korea