Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They like to take their time over coronations, legally Charlie becomes king the moment his mum pops her clogs and has all the constitutional powers immediately, the coronation is just an incredibly expensive Under New Management sign going up in the window. It was almost 18 months between the death of George VI and the coronation of Elizabeth II (at least some of which was spent coming up with a way of explaining to the Scots that they weren't going to bother with calling her Elizabeth I of Scotland, the compromise of taking the highest reginal number from whichever of the crowns the monarch was wearing allegedly being Churchill's idea).

I also remember reading some where that Charles is a bit verboten as a royal name for a king- most of them change their names on being coronated. Charles and cervical disarticulation is the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dogatron posted:

I also remember reading some where that Charles is a bit verboten as a royal name for a king- most of them change their names on being coronated. Charles and cervical disarticulation is the reason.

charles the last

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

feedmegin posted:

This guy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_II_of_Greece ,your actual former reigning King of Greece (much later than 1922), is living in Greece, right now.

If you're going to be an arse, at least be right.

I apologise for being an arse, you are right.

I was just going on what I was told by an elderly Greek member of the resistance.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Dogatron posted:

one for liz- state funeral and then one for charlies coronation.

If that Guardian article that floats round every so often is right it's actually three bank holidays - the day of her death (or the day after depending on the time) would be a National Day of MourningTM, her funeral, and the coronation.

It would also crash the economy which is pretty fun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dogatron posted:

Regnal names aren't actually that common in the UK, I can only think of Edward VII - allegedly choosing become Albert I because he felt it would be disrespectful to his father (Prince Albert, husband of Victoria) who had in every way but officially ruled as co-monarch, but really probably just an attempt to avoid debt collectors from the brothels of Europe.

I know there are some rumous that the household aren't happy with the name Charles not so much because of Charles I (because of course to that sort of person Charles I is a hero) but because Charles II wasn't really discreet enough with his loving around and so is much less well-regarded than his father, whereas to the rest of the country Junior is beloved because after a decade of war and another decade of No Fun Allowed, having a monarch whose ambitions began and ended with big trousers and their removal was just what we needed. Also presumably having a Charles III would set off the Jacobites again and nobody wants to deal with them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm not sure the 17 remaining weirdos who identify as Jacobites and want the Bavarian on the throne are a major concern for anybody. Though I hope they are. I hope they launch another uprising and fail ignominiously.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I do find that once you get passed "Vicky" it becomes a whole fuckload of Georges and Edwards whose loving numbers I can never remember.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I lived in Cairo, one of the big chief Royals in Saudi died and all the tv programmes from the Gulf countries (lots of American movies with arabic subtitles) were suspended for 3 days, black edging and just a looped video of people walking round and round the kabbah.

Like this, but moving, for 72 hours.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They like to take their time over coronations, legally Charlie becomes king the moment his mum pops her clogs and has all the constitutional powers immediately,

As Pratchett said, and as we have discussed before ITT

“The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously." (Pratchett, Mort)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what's in that thing anyway

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

A big magnet

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

Superman's skeleton

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crispix posted:

You can take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oviQ-L9Kv9Q
(you can click and drag to look around)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure the 17 remaining weirdos who identify as Jacobites and want the Bavarian on the throne are a major concern for anybody. Though I hope they are. I hope they launch another uprising and fail ignominiously.

If you had an opportunity not to deal with them, wouldn't you take it?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh, okay

had assumed it was a sealed tomb type of thing, like a pyramid but different approach to the geometry

it looks very... hygienic, i suppose

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
like how bakers and butchers shops used to have tiled shopfronts

let you know the people in there are serious about hygiene

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

oh, okay

had assumed it was a sealed tomb type of thing, like a pyramid but different approach to the geometry

it looks very... hygienic, i suppose

It has an interesting history pre-dating Islam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

whereas to the rest of the country Junior is beloved because after a decade of war and another decade of No Fun Allowed, having a monarch whose ambitions began and ended with big trousers and their removal was just what we needed.
Also because nobody mentions that the first thing that Charles II did was give a bunch of failed royalists who forfeited their lands new land in the Carolinas, and had his son James set up a company to provide labor for those lands from the coast of Africa, because it upsets the gammons when you talk about that kind of stuff and how maybe we shouldn't have big equestrian statues to those sorts of people.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it is a travesty that nowhere in this land is there a statue to keith chegwin, imo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'll never abandon the cause of the Young Pretender!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They should do a remake of King Ralph, but its a Sinn Feiner from the Falls Road whose next in line.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

happyhippy posted:

They should do a remake of King Ralph, but its a Sinn Feiner from the Falls Road whose next in line.

lmao fund it, that would be amazing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
king charles (chucky) arlagh III

established the house of arlagh

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 21, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you know what bothers me about the falls road? i don't think the green post boxes are quite the right shade of green that's used on an post post boxes :/

and if they're going to that bother, why haven't they made the traffic lights make the clucking sound of southern traffic lights

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I'll never abandon the cause of the Young Pretender!

Bring back King Canute imo let us reunite with our Scandinavian brethren!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i like how the west belfast taxi association has the alternative public transport though, it's very efficient

although i once shared one of the hackneys with a bloke who was intoxicated and just much too over familiar for my liking :/

(for those of you who don't know and aren't motivated to look it up, the west belfast taxi association was formed during the troubles to function as public transport in territory that was too dangerous for state public transportation to operate in and to this day it still operates alongside the buses and that that are able to do their route without getting hijacked, most of the year

)

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 21, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

i like how the west belfast taxi association has the alternative public transport though, it's very efficient

Worst thing Ive seen there was when I was in a Translink bus on my way back home to the west of NI in late 90s, and the route just skirts the Falls Road area.
We come to a red light, with some ad boards and waste ground beside it. At the foot of the boards, sitting there, was three kids, about 10-12, huffing something from a bag.
The bus was packed, and everybody saw them. And they saw us, but were too out of it to even walk towards us. Absolute out of their minds.
One was giving us the fingers and was trying to get up but couldn't stand up, and then the light turned green.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

you know what bothers me about the falls road? i don't think the green post boxes are quite the right shade of green that's used on an post post boxes :/

and if they're going to that bother, why haven't they made the traffic lights make the clucking sound of southern traffic lights

Irish traffic lights cluck? Is this some weird ploughshare repurposing of the Blue Peacock nuclear weapon design?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Charitable to assume the ploughshare bit. Wasn't it designed during Churchill's second stint as PM to be left behind enemy lines in the event of a ~disturbance~?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Any who attack the noblest institution of Ulsterbus/Translink deserves to lose in NI, sorry that's just facts

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Irish traffic lights cluck?

there was a long period when the irish state was very (a bit too) keen to differentiate itself from the way things are done in britain

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
would yous consider a goon project for me as an alternative to becoming king of skomer: becoming leader of t'the labour party

i would just batter over the head with one of those giant holepunches you get in offices anyone who stood in my way

i definitely think i have the mettle

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

would yous consider a goon project for me as an alternative to becoming king of skomer: becoming leader of t'the labour party

i would just batter over the head with one of those giant holepunches you get in offices anyone who stood in my way

i definitely think i have the mettle

i'll start the kneecapping wiki

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Irish traffic lights just beep now, to alert blind people when its ready to cross.
Isn't this standard everywhere in the UK/RoI?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:/

dublin traffic lights definitely cluck

i've been there sober

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

i'll start the kneecapping wiki

been looking for an opportunity to bring this up and this is as good as any imo

i have an extreme interest in knowledge base software (wikis are sub-optimal) and i would like to find people who are interested in looking for new ways to use computers to store and organise what is going on inside their brains

if any of you are interested please pm me - it will likely be months before i host the applications i have developed but i am working entirely alone

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Every now and then I am seized with nostalgia for the Northern Ireland of my youth. It was a refuge from the wall-to-wall awfulness of my home life and school to go and stay with my Granny Sadie for various holidays, and I'm sure she'd be shocked to realize how many of my memories from back then do *not* revolve around me playing video games all day (Though there's plenty of that too). Sometimes I go and read stuff about NI or trundle around on Google Maps and the differences affect me far more deeply than I would ever have predicted they could or would. The tiny amusement park in Millisle, now gone. The video rental places in Newtownards, all gone, even Xtravision. They tore down Granny's old bungalow and the row it was on, and rebuilt them.

I don't usually struggle with feelings of nostalgia but nights like tonight get weird. And if it's a motivating factor for people - the idealized, imperfectly remembered youth - I can see why they start following people and movements who promise to bring it back. It can't be brought back, of course, even if I had Bezos money and somehow had perfect records of the place circa 1998 and I spent everything on recreating Harry's little rental store or demolishing the houses that now sit where Millisle's rides once were, the feeling of the time can't be revived, it wouldn't bring back the actual people who made it what it was, least of all Granny Sadie, nor could it actually bring back my own self of the time. Motion, of necessity, involves a change of perspective.

It probably doesn't help that it's not a purely idealized memory for me, it's very specifically just Northern Ireland I remember this way, because it was where I was loved and properly cared for as a child, compared to the constant abuse, neglect, unhappiness, alcoholism, and bullying I was surrounded by and victim of in England. So it's surely made more acute by all that, having one specific set of places and memories and times that were the best a kid could ask for, contrasted with the rest. Norn Iron in the intense last days of the Troubles was still like thirteen orders of magnitude more preferable, to me, than being elsewhere. And it's probably compounded because as an adult, like so many of my generation, we're in a world that has made our individual hopes and dreams difficult to attain, and our collective hopes and dreams have been stolen from us by an older generation that has hosed everything and won't even let us try to start fixing things. So with no apparent future to look forward to, the past, the time of simple joys and childhood certainties, becomes the only actual certitude in life.

I don't even know what I'm saying with this post really, just... guard yourself against letting nostalgia inform your politics because I can absolutely see how if this feeling is common rather than something that occasionally takes hold every few months, it's something you start to want changed, and you start listening to the people who promise to make you feel the way you did when you were young again.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you're okay, i get a lot of what you mean

and thank you for posting, that's a lot of food for thought

crispix fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 21, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Jose, are you being mean to Brown Moses again:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/feb/20/eliot-higgins-people-accuse-me-of-working-for-the-cia

quote:

Abuse from trolls is something I have come to accept in my life. What we do, revealing things, is worthwhile, despite the potential threats. I’m trying to wean myself off Twitter. People constantly accuse me of being a liar or working for the CIA. It winds you up.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what a stupid oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
shameless