Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Saoshyant posted:

Mythgard's pretty fun as far as CCG go. Production values are goddamn high for such a small studio. I'm pretty happy they are giving out the entire core set of cards with the codes -- I'll be able to play ranked instead of just faffing around in draft/brawl mode.

I kicked off a thread about it a while back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926753

I honestly think it's a fantastic game and I want it to get more love; absolutely they really knocked it out of the park with the art and setting considering they're an "indie" company. However their promotion of the game has been less than stellar and I'm disappointed with its growth so far. NOBODY knows about it whatsoever, and this is a game where you can instantly switch between PC and mobile if you so wished, and completely solves the issue of mana drought/flood with an incredible strategic mechanic.

EDIT: Just to say the free decks they allow you to use each week are totally ladder competitive so you should be able to get involved and enjoy ranked from the get-go!

perc2 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

steinrokkan posted:

It's also why text adventures were so popular all the way to the 90s. Because it was hard and expensive to get proper games, but it was easy for interested parties to learn how to make text based games on their ZX Spectrums or Amigas or whatever other platforms were accessible at their school, workplace, etc. So the whole Eastern Bloc gaming industry was until relatively recently dominated by these self taught people who spent their formative years writing Indiana Jones adventures in Pascal or some such.
You might have spent more time in actual East-block countries and thus have more practical experience, but as far as I know, the big genre identified with the 90s was graphic adventure game, with a thousand rip-offs, homages and "parodies" of the lucas-arts oeuvre. One might call the lovely unlicensed adventure game the Easter-European equivalent of a licensed platformer.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 21, 2021

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Imagine how miserable your life would be growing up with FFVII, that's the real issue here.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

PowerBeard posted:

Imagine how miserable your life would be growing up with FFVII, that's the real issue here.
After growing up with PC AD&D/Ultima/Sierra games and finally playing FF7 after it got released for PC it felt like baby's first videogame and looked like something released by Playmobil.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Are there any spaceship builder/sandbox games that are any good? I've tried Empyrion (three hours scraping dirt on a shithole planet), Avorion (actually in space at least but mining space rocks forever) and Void Destroyer 2 ( janky controls and incredibly lovely spaceflight )

A week late but maaaybe starmade? Minecraft in space and I think you can build spaceships and fly to different planets. But I might be misremembering.

https://www.star-made.org/

Latest update was a year ago so it might be dead but the version I played was stable enough for a weekend of gaming atleast.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zombiepop posted:

A week late but maaaybe starmade? Minecraft in space and I think you can build spaceships and fly to different planets. But I might be misremembering.
I've played that one and and it had some really cool ideas, but I definitely would not call it good or really recommend it. It has some major issues, and performance is only one of them.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Xander77 posted:

Don't know which part you find fascinating, but I might as well link this (turn subtitles on if you've somehow neglected to learn to speak Russian):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQr3tnjHlg

Just wanted to say this was a pretty cool video; I didn't expect to watch the whole thing but I got addicted to it. Thanks for linking it!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I know some goons like jigsaw puzzles and this is practically the PC games thread so here
https://www.jigsawexplorer.com/create-a-custom-jigsaw-puzzle

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flimf posted:

Not to keep harping on Diablo, but since many people mentioned it:
https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1362937581177077767
According to a PC Gamer interview, the mod support will be more or less the same as in the existing game with two differences - DLL injection mods like Basemod won't be possible due to modern Battle.net's security, but many previously-hardcoded parts of the game will be externalized into data files so they won't be as necessary.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m actually excited for this but I wish it came out like three months ago because Diablo II is hard coded into my brain as like, the Snowday game. Diablo I is for when it’s warm out.

It’s nostalgia poo poo, I can’t explain it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Joe Man posted:

After growing up with PC AD&D/Ultima/Sierra games and finally playing FF7 after it got released for PC it felt like baby's first videogame and looked like something released by Playmobil.

That step from the heyday of pixels to beginner polygons was rough.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Anonymous Robot posted:

Woah, when did this start?

A little late, but do you maybe own all the items in the bundle already? I’ve only seen the disabled button when that happens.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ymgve posted:

A little late, but do you maybe own all the items in the bundle already? I’ve only seen the disabled button when that happens.

It really is like that, because I got the same result when only owning Accent Core.

Buying the items separately without Accent Core costs a bit more than the entire bundle. That’s also true if the game you are not buying happens to be SIGN + its DLC bundle.

But its not like I was interested in more GG right now. Let me know if they ever add Zappa to STRIVE :kheldragar:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 21, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I checked a few other bundles that I know don't have scaled pricing, and none of them allowed me to purchase them for myself. I could have sworn the option was there in the past, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I feel almost positive there is, or at least was, a warning on the checkout page for non-scaled bundles that you won't get any additional giftable copies for the games you already own? Then again 2- and 4-packs of games used to be a pretty standard offering for a lot of multiplayer stuff but that's apparently just not an option anymore for games coming out now, and it's been retroactively removed from games like L4D and Portal 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I feel almost positive there is, or at least was, a warning on the checkout page for non-scaled bundles that you won't get any additional giftable copies for the games you already own? Then again 2- and 4-packs of games used to be a pretty standard offering for a lot of multiplayer stuff but that's apparently just not an option anymore for games coming out now, and it's been retroactively removed from games like L4D and Portal 2.

I miss 4 packs. I know one of my best friends from giving away a spare copy of Shoot Many Robots on this site in 2012.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's definitely not a new thing. Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 pulled the same BS once they bundled the complete game together.

And of course from about the same time there's been the old classic "sell a hard-coded bundle of game + season pass that's an infinitely better deal than already owning the base game and just wanting the season pass because gently caress you".

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
So I realized that I am now somehow the proud owner of many grand strategy games, despite never playing one (except for CK2). Regarding space ones, between Galactic Civilizations 3, Stellaris and Endless Space 2, which should I try first as a total 4X baby? Is one easier to get into, more user-friendly, or "simpler" than the others? (Note that I only have the base game for each)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trickyblackjack posted:

So I realized that I am now somehow the proud owner of many grand strategy games, despite never playing one (except for CK2). Regarding space ones, between Galactic Civilizations 3, Stellaris and Endless Space 2, which should I try first as a total 4X baby? Is one easier to get into, more user-friendly, or "simpler" than the others? (Note that I only have the base game for each)

Galciv III is easily the best but II is better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Galciv III is easily the best but II is better.

Agreed.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks. I don't have GalCiv 2, but I'll line up 3 along with Civ5 as my non-space one. The rest can gather cobwebs in my backlog come after those.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trickyblackjack posted:

Thanks. I don't have GalCiv 2, but I'll line up 3 along with Civ5 as my non-space one. The rest can gather cobwebs in my backlog come after those.

I will buy you Galciv II.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I will buy you Galciv II.

Oh wow, that's extremely generous of you. I really appreciate your offer, but there's a chance that I'll bounce off the genre and I would feel really bad if that were the case. But that's definitely a ringing endorsement for GalCiv2 if I've ever seen one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trickyblackjack posted:

Oh wow, that's extremely generous of you. I really appreciate your offer, but there's a chance that I'll bounce off the genre and I would feel really bad if that were the case. But that's definitely a ringing endorsement for GalCiv2 if I've ever seen one.

It’s one of the best games ever made and the best of the genre, easily.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Has anyone else had their Xbox gamepass for PC just end?

I want back and looked and it hasn't charged me in Feb, but i've also not had any notifications about cancelling (not did i get one for signing up in hindsight).

I noticed that the new version of it is out with combined with EA access, so i'm wondering if it's to do with that.

In retrospect i barely played any of the games that came out on it due to time (and funky microsoft installs) so i might not bother subscribing again. It might be different if i ever get whatever the current xbox console is (unlikely), but after a year or so of testing the subscription thing i can say it's only really worth it if you've got the time to churn through games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kin posted:

I want back and looked and it hasn't charged me in Feb, but i've also not had any notifications about cancelling (not did i get one for signing up in hindsight).

I noticed that the new version of it is out with combined with EA access, so i'm wondering if it's to do with that.

In retrospect i barely played any of the games that came out on it due to time (and funky microsoft installs) so i might not bother subscribing again. It might be different if i ever get whatever the current xbox console is (unlikely), but after a year or so of testing the subscription thing i can say it's only really worth it if you've got the time to churn through games.

That’s most of why I avoid it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

You might have spent more time in actual East-block countries and thus have more practical experience, but as far as I know, the big genre identified with the 90s was graphic adventure game, with a thousand rip-offs, homages and "parodies" of the lucas-arts oeuvre. One might call the lovely unlicensed adventure game the Easter-European equivalent of a licensed platformer.

Oh yes, that came as a natural evolution as the available software and hardwere got more sophisticated, and those games would definitely get the spotlight, but for years graphics were beyond the means of many people, both in terms of computing power, and available know - how. I'd say the shift happened in mid - 90s, I checked and for example the, um, cutting edge graphical parody of Monkey Island, Donkey Island, was released four years after the original, and it was pretty much the first "real" graphical game I can think of, and still way more primitive than the original because it was made very naively by trying to reinvent the whole game making process.

It would take many more years for thing to converge bren East and West. Also most of the foundational stuff I was talking about in the previous post would be completely unknown outside of enthusiasts in the countries of origin, because there also was no official publishing and distribution of domestic video games.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 21, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Oh yes, that came as a natural evolution as the available software and hardwere got more sophisticated, and those games would definitely get the spotlight, but for years graphics were beyond the means of many people, both in terms of computing power, and available know - how. I'd say the shift happened in mid - 90s, I checked and for example the, um, cutting edge graphical parody of Monkey Island, Donkey Island, was released four years after the original, and it was pretty much the first "real" graphical game I can think of, and still way more primitive than the original because it was made very naively by trying to reinvent the whole game making process.

It would take many more years for thing to converge bren East and West. Also most of the foundational stuff I was talking about in the previous post would be completely unknown outside of enthusiasts in the countries of origin, because there also was no official publishing and distribution of domestic video games.

One day I’ll stop giving your the side eye for having a Svejk avatar. Bravest of the Lamps was obsessed with it. Not your fault.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Trickyblackjack posted:

Play Stellaris and skip the other two.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Trickyblackjack posted:

Galciv is good but very grognardy, Endless Space is offensively boring and generic, Stellaris has issues in the midgame but is really nice and accessible for many hours before you get there.

The only thing Endless Space offers is a fairly good UI, but you can have a fairly good UI in Endless Legend, which is also a thousand times better than Endless Space.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Antigravitas posted:

Galciv is good but very grognardy, Endless Space is offensively boring and generic, Stellaris has issues in the midgame but is really nice and accessible for many hours before you get there.

The only thing Endless Space offers is a fairly good UI, but you can have a fairly good UI in Endless Legend, which is also a thousand times better than Endless Space.

He has ES2, not ES. ES2 is like the polar farking opposite of generic, doubly so when compared to Stellaris. As a person with hundreds of hours in both, I'd totally skip Stellaris (not only is its UI made by an engineer I swear, but all of it's good stuff (the narration) is frontloaded in the first 1-2 hours for a 25+ hour playthrough that has literally no win conditions, just quitting and restarting) while recommending ES2. ES2 is a pleasure to play, and it only really ages once you get good at the game and realize the AI can't possibly match you (Stellaris also has this issue); by that time you'll probably have gotten a lot of great gameplay out of it.

No comments on GalCiv, I own it apparently but never mustered enough interest to properly play it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kin posted:

It hasn't ended for me but they also changed the way it's billed in January. They bill you for 3 months in advance since then so you might want to check that. If they billed you 30 in Janurary then the next payment is scheduled for April.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kin posted:

Game Pass PC doesn't have EA Access included yet. They delayed it to an unspecified date literally hours before scheduled launch because EA's new desktop client isn't even remotely ready.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Palpek posted:

It hasn't ended for me but they also changed the way it's billed in January. They bill you for 3 months in advance since then so you might want to check that. If they billed you 30 in Janurary then the next payment is scheduled for April.

Nah it was the standard £7.99 payment. I only noticed all of this when i went to launch AOE3 and it failed. Then i went into the launcher and it's acting as if i've never had a subscription.

I dunno if there was a set cutoff but i originally signed up in June 2019 so it's a bit weird that it just ended in Jan without notification.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mordja posted:

Forget it, Jake- it's twitter.

poo poo, you're right

On the topic of video games:

gently caress me, I thought I was done with open survival crafting games completely, but there's something about Valheim, playing with a friend. He's building the hearth while i hunt and put meat on the rack. I wonder how many other well made minimalist looking games like these that most people have missed

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The only good Endless game is Legend. The spaces are both offensively boring. Pretty but offensively boring. Stellaris, even at its lowest (and boy are there lows to match its highs) completely blows it out of the water.

GalCiv 2 does own though. Def get it if you can, it holds up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

steinrokkan posted:

It's also why text adventures were so popular all the way to the 90s. Because it was hard and expensive to get proper games, but it was easy for interested parties to learn how to make text based games on their ZX Spectrums or Amigas or whatever other platforms were accessible at their school, workplace, etc. So the whole Eastern Bloc gaming industry was until relatively recently dominated by these self taught people who spent their formative years writing Indiana Jones adventures in Pascal or some such.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/how-indiana-jones-fought-the-communists-and-led-an-era-of-activist-video-games/

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I appreciate the input on space 4X games. I suspected that it might be a contentious topic, but maybe that just means that they each have their strengths and weaknesses, some sacrificing depth for accessibility, etc.

The one I chose to install is a secret

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It was Distant Worlds, obviously. Which is the correct choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only good Endless game is Legend. The spaces are both offensively boring. Pretty but offensively boring. Stellaris, even at its lowest (and boy are there lows to match its highs) completely blows it out of the water.

GalCiv 2 does own though. Def get it if you can, it holds up.

Speaking of Stellaris, I tried to dabble in it again, but i don't seem to get whatever they did with the planet build mechanics. Because my save is from the earlier version, i need to start again and it's hard to be interested

Come to think of it, is there any 4X at all that has like a lightning start? because any 4X i've played poo poo seems to pick up around Turn 45, like an hour and a half later