Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Home builder lost 4 fingers on one hand at the second joints to his jointer, documented the accident and recovery. NO gore, first video is him in the hospital talking to the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8XEQ1XKYNDXTUhEZWcHAPZlpXBu__wui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

loving terrifying, not a mask to be seen.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Zopotantor posted:

Nice. I wasn’t much older when they taught me to drive big-rear end trucks in the army.

I was a bit younger when I learned to operate farm equipment. Combines, tractors, etc. Once I could reach the pedals, I could drive the two ton, IHR grain truck. Basically a deuce if one uses military terminology.

Single rear axle. We didn't have any trucks with a tag axle. We'd just hook up a drying wagon. 26,000 lbs for the loaded truck, 14,000lbs for the loaded trailer. The windshield was smashed right in your vision so you had to poke your head out the window. The rear view mirror on that side was broken too. The axle only worked in high range so It was really hard to get the truck moving. Also, it only ran on 6.5 cylinders out of 8. It had no power steering. The hydraulics leaked like crazy.

It worked though. Just not easy. It did have a functioning cigar lighter. Starter worked fine. The choke also was easy and you didn't have to fight with it. The headlights worked so that was nice. Radio didn't work, but it was cool to have the key on the left side and the starter was a button.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

SubNat posted:

it still produced ~400 kW/h of power

Kilowatts already include time in the unit. It generated 400 kilowatts of power and that's a continuous figure, every minute, every hour. If it produced 400 kilowatts for one hour that is 1.44 gigajoules of energy (or 400 kilowatt-hours).

:spergin:

I think the LED should fade in and out as the halves close and open

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 21, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

https://twitter.com/Bran_the_Onion/status/1363095934637273089

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

Kilowatts already include time in the unit. It generated 400 kilowatts of power and that's a continuous figure, every minute, every hour. If it produced 400 kilowatts for one hour that is 1.44 gigajoules of energy (or 400 kilowatt-hours).

:spergin:

And it produced vastly more than that. From this article it ran for around 3 days (jan 14-17 1998) at 720rpm, which is the right speed to provide 60hz AC. Calculations put that at around 375kW.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Found the other half of the video:

https://i.imgur.com/8i0HtgO.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Lgdll4akE

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, it's clearly producing 400kW/h, or 400kW after 60 minutes, 800kW after 120 minutes...

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Found the other half of the video:

https://i.imgur.com/8i0HtgO.mp4

That's amazing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

French Canadian posted:

That's amazing

As someone pointed out in another thread, the fire is exactly where it's supposed to be. The problem is that you can see it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I mean, I don't think it should be that wobbly either, but I am not a plane

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
There is a vibration monitor to measure the vibration of the engine in inches per second. If the monitor is still attached, it is probably reading a little high

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This is some Final Destination poo poo, at least some of these. My god.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Dirk the Average posted:

Nah, it's clearly producing 400kW/h, or 400kW after 60 minutes, 800kW after 120 minutes...

That's not how you measure power. It's an instantaneous measurement. A 60w bulb doesn't use 60 watts every hour, it requires 60 watts every instant to keep it illuminated and uses it uses 60 watt-hours every hour.

If it is putting out 400kW then after an hour it will have put out 400kWh

Imagine it was a horse putting out 1 horsepower. (If we assume a horse puts out 1hp) The amount of power the horse produces is 1hp. In an hour at capacity the horse will have produced 1hp for one hour, but at any given moment the it was producing 1hp.

Electrical power is amps x volts and amps is Coulombs (a very large number of electrons) per second, so the power figure already is [other variables]/time. Your utility is billed by kWh, cancelling out the time variable and essentially charging you for the number of electrons you used at a specific voltage.

May Contain Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 21, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

May Contain Nuts posted:

Thats not how you measure power. It's an instantaneous measurement. A 60w bulb doesn't use 60 watts every hour, it requires 60 watts every instant to keep it illuminated and uses it uses 60 watt-hours every hour.

Imagine it was a horse putting out 1 horsepower. (If we assume a horse puts out 1hp) The amount of power the horse can produce is 1hp. In an hour at capacity the horse will have produced 1hp for one hour, but at any given moment the it was producing 1hp.

ONE HORSE POWER HOUR is a good name for something. Mods?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

The Lone Badger posted:

As someone pointed out in another thread, the fire is exactly where it's supposed to be. The problem is that you can see it.

Yeah, I read an internet forum post and that's normal and just like it should be.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

May Contain Nuts posted:

Thats not how you measure power. It's an instantaneous measurement. A 60w bulb doesn't use 60 watts every hour, it requires 60 watts every instant to keep it illuminated and uses it uses 60 watt-hours every hour.

Imagine it was a horse putting out 1 horsepower. (If we assume a horse puts out 1hp) The amount of power the horse can produce is 1hp. In an hour at capacity the horse will have produced 1hp for one hour, but at any given moment the it was producing 1hp.

It was a joke. 400kW/h is effectively an acceleration of energy, or a velocity of power. It would mean that the rate of power is linearly increasing by 400kW every hour.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

May Contain Nuts posted:

I believe Dirk the Average is pointing out that 400kW/h is a measure of the rate of change of power, so perhaps the engine starts out at 0kW and then ramps up to 400kW after one hour, 800kW after two hours, 1200kW after three, and so on. The instantaneous power figure is constantly changing and the total energy production can be calculated through integration.

e: yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also a horse can hit a maximum power output of around 15 horsepower. One horsepower was originally an estimate of how much power a horse could produce continuously over the course of a workday, for easy comparison to steam engines. Top human athletes can peak at around one horsepower, or sustain 80-120 watts for many hours.

:eng101:

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Ah yes, the elusive Exponential Motion Machine. Has thermodynamics disproved that yet?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OSHA IV: FUN WITH THERMODYNAMICS!!!

What's y'all's favorite equation? Mine's using the delta-m of the fission fragments from their parent nucleus to find the resultant energy release, simply multiply by the speed of light squared.

Fuckin' Nerds.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 21, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Doorbell cam of airplane parts littering the neighborhood. Sound on.

https://twitter.com/mattmauronews/status/1363332067577094144?s=21

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-zh7Sebr8

ATC from the 777

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

Also a horse can hit a maximum power output of around 15 horsepower. One horsepower was originally an estimate of how much power a horse could produce continuously over the course of a workday, for easy comparison to steam engines. Top human athletes can peak at around one horsepower, or sustain 80-120 watts for many hours.

:eng101:

That's rather outdated. A lovely cyclist can sustain 100 watt output with the pros over 300 with peaks much higher.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can sustain one hundred watts, thermal, just sitting here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Platystemon posted:

I can sustain one hundred watts, thermal, just sitting here.

Yeah, but once you factor in efficiency that ain't poo poo for powrr

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FCKGW posted:

Doorbell cam of airplane parts littering the neighborhood. Sound on.

https://twitter.com/mattmauronews/status/1363332067577094144?s=21

I think the pipe at 0:20 is this thing

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

That's rather outdated. A lovely cyclist can sustain 100 watt output with the pros over 300 with peaks much higher.

The 'sustain' number might be low, but saying a pro peaks at 1hp = roughly 750W isn't outdated. Here's a cyclist powering a 700W toaster... briefly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

ONE HORSE POWER HOUR is a good name for something. Mods?

I’m more of a POWER KHAN or Bigger Longer More Times More Sperms guy myself

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Tochiazuma posted:

The 'sustain' number might be low, but saying a pro peaks at 1hp = roughly 750W isn't outdated. Here's a cyclist powering a 700W toaster... briefly.

Something something, leg day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJbc7Vk9h0k

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tochiazuma posted:

Is it a quad toaster?

Ouch, it certainly is!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elviscat posted:

OSHA IV: FUN WITH THERMODYNAMICS!!!

What's y'all's favorite equation? Mine's using the delta-m of the fission fragments from their parent nucleus to find the resultant energy release, simply multiply by the speed of light squared.

Fuckin' Nerds.
I remembered the word fugacity in the shower the other day, along with my eternal disappointment that it ends in -ity yet it's an equation tidying concept instead of an apparent physical property or force. Getting to fugacity in physical chemistry like finally, an English word, and it ends in -ity. Bet it's real obvious! Haha, ofc not, nothing is obvious in physical chemistry besides the end of anything with organization or a form.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I produce at least a half hp when I yank my poo poo.
Thanks for listening.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/SZcvU8C.mp4

an honorary

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I produce at least a half hp when I yank my poo poo.
Thanks for listening.

Is that what, a two stroke engine?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Space Kablooey posted:

Is that what, a two stroke engine?

Four stroke, you know, suck squeeze bang blow.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

A wankel surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dysgenesis posted:

A wankel surely?

You keep doing it that way and you'll blow your seals early.