Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

I think they're trying to make it clear 'THERE IS A TWIST' without actually showing it, although even not knowing the source material I'm sure most people can guess what it is.

I'll bite. What's the twist? It's obvious there's one but I've got no idea what it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vandar posted:

I'll bite. What's the twist? It's obvious there's one but I've got no idea what it actually is.

Superman Dad is actually a Saiyan, not a Kryptonian, and was sent to Earth to take it over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vandar posted:

super dad is actually a baddy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I still have mixed feelings about Marvel scuppering the entire Ultimate universe to shoehorn Miles Morales into the mainline universe, but at least it means nobody is going to dig up the gorefest of Ultimatum to make into a movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I still have mixed feelings about Marvel scuppering the entire Ultimate universe to shoehorn Miles Morales into the mainline universe, but at least it means nobody is going to dig up the gorefest of Ultimatum to make into a movie.

I think it is less that they did it to move Miles but that they did it because Ultimate as a whole had kind of crashed and burned and Miles was one of the salvageable parts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
From what I read of the ultimate universe, it had already gone to poo poo by ultimates 2 and that was all the way back in 2006

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

From what I read of the ultimate universe, it had already gone to poo poo by ultimates 2 and that was all the way back in 2006

Spider-Man was good for most of it's run and X-Men was at least interesting even when it was bad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Mangaverse still got done way dirtier than Ultimate

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

Hickman did a revamp but then Marvel gave him the Avengers so he left and it fell apart again after that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ultimate Fantastic Four was an under rated book too, way more hits than misses even with a bunch of different creators working on it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

muscles like this! posted:

Hickman did a revamp but then Marvel gave him the Avengers so he left and it fell apart again after that.

God, right, completely forgot. Miles and Hickman's Ultimates were the UU's hail mary, then they yanked Hickman to real Avengers and Miles just kept trucking while the final 3 years of the Ultimate Universe gasped for air.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ultimate Ironman was pretty neat, I think Ultimate's take on Hulk was interesting even if it didn't get like a continuing title.

I think the broader reason I feel sour on how the Ultimate universe was scuppered for the sake of bringing Miles to the mainline universe is because as time goes on, the more I feel like all the work that goes into connecting all the books is what make me dislike superhero comics more and more. I don't just hate the events, I hate how so many of these heroes are in ever-shrinking worlds where all superheroes constantly associating with other superheroes instead of developing their own support casts and they can't have a genuine emotional connection with these other superheroes because they're busy being obligated to their own books and their own adventures where they do not give a gently caress about the character whose book they're visiting.

I also like the general principle of keeping a side universe to freely experiment with even if in the mainline universe they're gonna be super obligated to use 40+ year-old characters for everything. I just wish that they did more experimenting and less gore and incest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Marvel didn't kill the ultimate universe in order to bring Miles into the 616, Marvel killed the ultimate universe because the books weren't selling, and they decided to bring Miles into the 616 because he was one of the few thing they thought worth salvaging from the whole thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I do agree with the notion that Miles being a part of 616 waters down the stories you can do. I don't really read Marvel anymore, but when I kept seeing stuff online about Miles feuding with Eddie Brock it just made me tired. Meanwhile Gwen Stacy, though still crossing over constantly, gets to have something of a real cast and villains since she's in a standalone universe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why don’t they do that 90s thing where Miles moves to a different city and he’s the Spiderman of San Francisco or Denver or something, like how they did Thunderstrike, War Machine, US Agent, Venom, or Force Works?

Probably because those books sucked, but still...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Because it'll run for like 2 years, really 15 issues when you discount the crossover, and when the setting starts breathing the character will be taken back to New York with maybe some new writer and definitely in some B-Tier team book.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Miles deserves New York...Peter should move.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol they just attempted a scarlet spider book like last year or the year before in houston?? I think. You can guess how well that went. And hey miles is now involved in the second symbiote event in just as many years, so good thing he escaped the ultimate u

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

site posted:

Lol they just attempted a scarlet spider book like last year or the year before in houston?? I think. You can guess how well that went. And hey miles is now involved in the second symbiote event in just as many years, so good thing he escaped the ultimate u

That one really hurt. But it was 9 years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kaine got like 30 issues in Houston, I bet a Miles in San Francisco book could work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MorningMoon posted:

That one really hurt. But it was 9 years ago.

No there was a recent one and it had a ton of issues put out for a marvel title!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

site posted:

No there was a recent one and it had a ton of issues put out for a marvel title!

Completely forgot about this one! I think its mostly in Las Vegas? Kaine was Houston

My point still stands both Scarlet Spider books lasted 2 years

E: lol ben is then killed in spiderverse 2 because big crossover needs to kill someone to raise the stakes

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 21, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think being in a separate city changes whether or not other superheroes are gonna crowd out the title, it's just whether the writer wants to bring in those heroes. They can come in on implausible trips regardless of whatever they're doing in their own books. I think Hulk kept occasionally showing up with the Avengers when he was stranded on a distant planet out in space.

Right now it feels like they're pushing really hard on all the heroes being friends who hang out all the time, and I just don't enjoy that. Black Cat got a title of her own and it opens with Tony Stark telling her how much he knows and trusts her, because all characters can only be validated by their association with bigger name characters. It feels stifling.

MorningMoon posted:

Completely forgot about this one! I think its mostly in Las Vegas? Kaine was Houston

My point still stands both Scarlet Spider books lasted 2 years

E: lol ben is then killed in spiderverse 2 because big crossover needs to kill someone to raise the stakes

Man, I remembered Kaine's title way back, and I remembered Doc Ock getting his own book in his own city that I kept thinking was Vegas when it turns out it was San Francisco.

I can't fuckin' believe that they killed Ben in Spiderverse 2 after killing Kaine in Spiderverse 1 when he was also the Scarlet Spider. These writers are loving hacks.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 21, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

The book set in Houston was a different one starring a different clone of Peter Parker. That one was set in Vegas and had a pretty cool crossover where Mephisto tried to take over the city.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think being in a separate city changes whether or not other superheroes are gonna crowd out the title, it's just whether the writer wants to bring in those heroes. They can come in on implausible trips regardless of whatever they're doing in their own books. I think Hulk kept occasionally showing up with the Avengers when he was stranded on a distant planet out in space.

Right now it feels like they're pushing really hard on all the heroes being friends who hang out all the time, and I just don't enjoy that. Black Cat got a title of her own and it opens with Tony Stark telling her how much he knows and trusts her, because all characters can only be validated by their association with bigger name characters. It feels stifling.

That reminds me of when Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider got a second chance, and it ended in a single arc because nobody wanted to read the hundredth Circle of Four retread. In which X-23, Amadeus Cho, and Silk all find wacky excuses to go to L.A.

man, this is all just a great reminder of why I stopped reading comics from the big 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MorningMoon posted:

Ah dang, you're right. Got those parts mixed up in my head

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't fuckin' believe that they killed Ben in Spiderverse 2 after killing Kaine in Spiderverse 1 when he was also the Scarlet Spider. These writers are loving hacks.

I want to point out that both Ben and Kaine are alive. Hell Ben came back before Spidergeddon even ended.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I want to point out that both Ben and Kaine are alive. Hell Ben came back before Spidergeddon even ended.

that's even more hackish!

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

MorningMoon posted:

That reminds me of when Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider got a second chance, and it ended in a single arc because nobody wanted to read the hundredth Circle of Four retread. In which X-23, Amadeus Cho, and Silk all find wacky excuses to go to L.A.

man, this is all just a great reminder of why I stopped reading comics from the big 2.

Yeah this one hurt. You could tell that the writer was working hard to try and squeeze in side character stuff too with that mechanic, but it just got strangled in the crib by "Hey, look! Coulson and Melinda May are here!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ultimate Iron Man curing Banner, then having him force a Hulk because The Leader caught them, thereby destroying the nanotech cure, was pretty hosed.

Ben Grim becomes Wonderman and Reed goes crazy making a supercity was good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That Hulk/Iron Man story was real good. Except for how Ellis crowbarred Pete Wisdom into it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaine's Scarlet Spider was too good for this world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Kaine's Scarlet Spider was too good for this world.

He's still alive, right? they didn't kill him one of the Spiderverse thingies did they?

Donny Cates is gonna kill him in King in Black probably

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Probably means the book itself. Kaine is great, but he needs his married friends and Aracely to be complete. What's the point of seeing him if he's not dealing with four superhero bullshit things but only dreading the social interaction of going to a rodeo.

welp, i'm falling into the hole again. I forgot there was a swear jar :3:
"I swear.... I swear to God, this was the fastest way." Kaine thought, as he rode a horse to save the day.
god, right, the whole issue he's calling himself a monster, then goes on a spiel to the "villain" about people like them can't be in relationships because of how much pain they'd bring their partners yadda yadda and then Armadillo's girlfriend runs up, explains what happened and they get back together while kaine's just "..."

oh yeah, the very last thing in teh book is Yost thanking us for believing in Kaine and having the book miraculously run 2 whole years. Then telling us the story of Kaine isn't close to done and to pick up its next chapter... New Warriors. :smith:

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 22, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

Probably means the book itself. Kaine is great, but he needs his married friends and Aracely to be complete. What's the point of seeing him if he's not dealing with four superhero bullshit things but only dreading the social interaction of going to a rodeo.

Sometimes he punches Santa.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

He's still alive, right? they didn't kill him one of the Spiderverse thingies did they?

King in Black is almost over and Kaine hasn't been in it so that'd be an accomplishment

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

King in Black is almost over and Kaine hasn't been in it so that'd be an accomplishment

I've only read the Black Cat and Marauders tie ins. Other Donny Cates books makes me think he's the kinda guy who would bring back a character only to murder them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I am pretty sure he died in one of the Spiderverse things but then came back. I know he was in the Ben Riley series I didn't read.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
e: nevermind

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't see anything in quick search, did they collect the Kaine series in an omnibus?