Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The controls in Little Nightmares is the little nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I like the feeling the combat adds in specifically making Mono feel completely different from Six. Six is this helpless little thing for most of her game, which makes it's ending feel extra cathartic. But Mono's ability to fight back a little, combined with his rescuing Six at the very start of the game, makes him feel like a little hero of this world. It gives you a feeling of "Yeah, Yeah we're doing it! We're gonna do it we're gonna win!" Makes that ending hit just that much more of a gut punch.

But yeah I still feel the first game is just straight up the best part of the franchise. Still sad about the possible stop motion tv show by the Coraline guy probably never being a thing.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 21, 2021

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
On the subject of forced helplessness/bad controls for horror/outdated sensibilities, I finally dragged myself through the last of Nightcry. Why would I do this? Because I'm a big fan of the original Clocktower.

Anyway, I like to look for the positive and rather than call things good or bad, say that I liked or didn't like them, but I feel like Nightcry is poor enough all around to be called bad. The gameplay mechanics are not geared toward fun in any way, the presentation is hugely uneven, but overall poor, nothing makes sense, it's more frustrating than scary, etc. We could just do endless paragraphs of its problems. The fact that it's not fully voiced is particularly :psyduck: but then again the dialogue is poor enough that maybe it's for the best.

There are a couple glimmers of brilliance in it. One or two of the kills were brutal enough to be effective. The overall weirdness was such that at least it wasn't predictable. Most importantly, two things: 1. that the characters communicate via social media and 2. that the suspicion arises that members of the crew/passengers can't be trusted--these two concepts could just be amazing in a better game.

But that's not this game. Nostalgia and giant scissors are not enough. The game kind of felt like a well-intentioned but unfinished Source mod or something. I'm sure there are some wild stories about Nightcry's development; maybe someone hadn't made a game since 1995, or they ran out of money, or it was made by three people in a trailer--I don't know. It's a mess. I should've stopped after Clocktower 2.

I'm going to seriously and probably drunkenly try to finish Evil Within tomorrow!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Overall I'm glad I spent time with Little Nightmares 2, but there has to be a better way to implement combat that also still drives home that your character isn't used to fighting. The current system feels on the tedious side. They've obviously tried to tailor the opponents so they'd synch up with your own slow attack but failed to account for smaller details. Certain enemies actually rev up their attack a millimeter outside of your range and if you didn't notice this, you're now locked in a large animation that you can't cancel. You're basically already doomed, but have to play it out anyway.

On top of that, enemy behavior sometimes decided to randomly do something unexpected at the last moment. I've had opponents suddenly decide to not attack, run straight past my character, and then attack from another angle from an inch away. It happened in a way that was clearly not intentional, as you're once again locked in an animation and by the time you get to move your attacker is already latched on your face.

This coupled with other weird fight glitches(mono suddenly performing a Devil May Cry helm breaker, for instance(which missed and got me killed :v:)) made the fighting segments a weird trial and error thing where I was less busy figuring out the scenario as you're expected to and more focused on how to prevent glitched behavior and ensure the weapon would swing properly. That just sucks the mood right out of the moment.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

The controls on Little Nightmares 2 seem a lot tighter than the first. I'm dying a lot more to dumb impatience than just straight up not grabbing poo poo even though I PRESSED THE drat BUTTON in comparison to the first game. No idea who thought this series needed combat, though, it's not the worst but it doesn't actually add anything.

Pistol_Pete posted:

And the controls seem pretty sucky to me still. Any number of times I've been: "Ok, time to RUN! Oh, wait, my character's got stuck on the corner of an object/ random crack in the ground and now I'm dead. Oh well."

Okay so it's not just me, then. It's been about a year since I last played #1 (so it's not the freshest memory), but I really feel like the movement is worse in #2. It seems like I kept getting stuck on/brushing against level geometry, which slows you down to a crawl and/or interrupts your run like the player is a vehicle that just started dragging against a guard rail. It was really annoying.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Finally getting around to playing F.E.A.R. and it got me making GBS threads bricks pretty much immediately. So that's promising.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Finally getting around to playing F.E.A.R. and it got me making GBS threads bricks pretty much immediately. So that's promising.

Everybody likes to talk up that ladder scare early in the game, but the tru F.E.A.Rheads know what that game's best scare is.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

1stGear posted:

Everybody likes to talk up that ladder scare early in the game, but the tru F.E.A.Rheads know what that game's best scare is.

That ladder scare has legitimately made me distrust every ladder in any horror game. I don’t think any other game has pulled that though.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

FEAR is great.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Basically I am a big easily scared baby, but I actually love being scared by games and movies. So a game that has me "NYEEEEEEEH runrunrun" from the word go absolutely has my interest.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Danknificent posted:

FEAR is great.

FEAR's combat being so loving good that I still replay it once every year or two helps a lot, too.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I just started the Medium, and I'm in the middle of Evil Within, and I played RE7 recently enough that I have to ask... why are horror devs thinking that turning sideways and sliding through narrow spaces is cool? Is this bringing something to the table? Am I missing something?

It was effective in RE7, but now it's just distracting like... I see the narrow crevice ahead and it's like now I'll push a context button and she'll turn sideways...

Kind of takes me out of the game. (Obviously as I paused to post about it)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A lot of people have a certain degree of subconscious claustrophobia. Not enough to make them freak out from being in a brook closet, but enough so that squeezing yourself into a narrow space that you might get stuck in at any moment is a fairly nerve-wracking experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Danknificent posted:

I just started the Medium, and I'm in the middle of Evil Within, and I played RE7 recently enough that I have to ask... why are horror devs thinking that turning sideways and sliding through narrow spaces is cool? Is this bringing something to the table? Am I missing something?

It was effective in RE7, but now it's just distracting like... I see the narrow crevice ahead and it's like now I'll push a context button and she'll turn sideways...

Kind of takes me out of the game. (Obviously as I paused to post about it)

Those are generally barely disguised loading screens

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I replayed to fear series a month ago and the only scare I got was loss of vision due to my first encounter with stress induced migraine aura, that said I do remember being scared the first time I played through fear 1. I did find it amusing though that the second game has to include all the stereotypical horror environments like hospital, elementary school and asylum inspired ESP testing facility.

Going back to the dark souls as horror chat, I've been playing Nioh 2 since its PC release and the main game(but not the dlc or ng+) really scratches the survival horror itch for me. Not in that it's scary but the changes from the base DS formula makes it so that every mission is a short encounter where you have scarce resources and are going around unlocking more of the map by collecting keys and defeating monsters. Going back to the shrine to refill or change loadout almost feels like an item box in the RE games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Those are generally barely disguised loading screens

Yeah it’s the current gen equivalent of elevators and mashing X to slowly open a door but the action is slow and smooth enough that there isn’t a wildly noticeable drop in frame rate which you can totally see as Metroid Prime or Arkham Asylum struggles to load the next room.

In the UE5 tech demo Epic said that SSDs negated the need for loading tricks in the future but they had the character squeeze through a wall because it felt natural to audience expectations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm playing Little Nightmares 1 right now and it's pretty good. Is any of the DLC worth getting before moving onto 2?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm playing Little Nightmares 1 right now and it's pretty good. Is any of the DLC worth getting before moving onto 2?

If you’re enjoying the base game, the DLC is more content of a similar quality, albeit relatively short. You might glean some more of the story from the DLC as well.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

al-azad posted:

Yeah it’s the current gen equivalent of elevators and mashing X to slowly open a door but the action is slow and smooth enough that there isn’t a wildly noticeable drop in frame rate which you can totally see as Metroid Prime or Arkham Asylum struggles to load the next room.

In the UE5 tech demo Epic said that SSDs negated the need for loading tricks in the future but they had the character squeeze through a wall because it felt natural to audience expectations.

Good to know. And on the claustrophobia piece, I'm actually one who lives with this (mild) but it doesn't register at all in video games, but I'm not surprised that it does for some people. Makes sense.

I'm an hour into the Medium, and it's one of these games where if I was like... 16 years old and hadn't played 8 million games, I'd be in game heaven, but as a 32 year old who has played most of them, it's not hooking me--but this is true of like 95% of the games I play. I'll finish it.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Going through the hospital now and disregard what I said, gently caress this combat. Aiming your slow rear end for small, fast and fidgety critters is scary at first, frustrating the fifth time. At least it's still pretty infrequent.

The flashlight is absolute hell to manage with a Steam controller. I'm totally stuck on these mannequins and I might see if switching to a keyboard and mouse helps at all just to get past this.

Years later and I'm still in shock at just how incompetent that entire mess ended up being. Just the wrong decision made at every conceivable point. It's almost impressive how there isn't even a plot but still manages to be confusing. I can't even remember the last time I saw something squander that much potential (my monitor is on.)

The Clock Tower model must be a helluva lot harder to do well than it seems. Remothered did it...okay? But it still suffered from having too much confidence in its storytelling abilities and, from what I've heard, the sequel is about a billion times worse.

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 21, 2021

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

So the Clocktower formula isn't good. It never was. But in 1995, Clocktower did stuff that had never been done, let alone done well, and consequently was cool in its own stupid way, which bought it some nostalgia street cred with idiots like me--but we can't mistake that for actual goodness. A Clocktower game done as well as possible now would still be a frustrating game for most gamers. Alas. Nightcry was a dumpster fire. A modernized 'hide from the killer' game can work, citation Alien: Isolation, but you have to do more than awkwardly cut and paste old timey gaming sensibilities into a 3D engine.

Anyway, I finished The Evil Within at 12 hours and some change. So... there's a lot to unpack here and I'm not doing paragraphs. There were some seriously obnoxious and frustrating sequences, but on the whole I want to say Evil Within is pretty cool on the grounds that the engine/chara movement/shooting is good enough to be empowering, but the game is menacing because it makes it clear from the outset with shenanigans and instant kills that it's not loving around. So you are powerful and competent, but you're not in control. It's not very scary, but it's very tense with that in mind.

The story was cool, but muddled, and could've been told better, but that's true of every RE game, so not unexpected. On the whole, I actually... mostly liked it? Despite the annoying stuff. I intend to play the two Kidman DLCs, but I want to try to get them on sale. I will never ever replay or NG+ the first game. I put the second game on my wishlist for the next steam sale.

Thanks to the thread for the tips; crit+stock does seem to be the optimal use of the jello. I struggled with the set pieces and instant kills, but never with the combat. Thread nailed it. Apparently I died 40 times. Oof.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
One could argue that Amnesia is more derived from the Clocktower formula than from anything else - the idea of running and hiding being the central game mechanic over combat is certainly something they share, and people loved that game.

Also, Haunting Ground is pretty fun.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Danknificent posted:

So the Clocktower formula isn't good. It never was. But in 1995, Clocktower did stuff that had never been done, let alone done well, and consequently was cool in its own stupid way, which bought it some nostalgia street cred with idiots like me--but we can't mistake that for actual goodness. A Clocktower game done as well as possible now would still be a frustrating game for most gamers. Alas. Nightcry was a dumpster fire. A modernized 'hide from the killer' game can work, citation Alien: Isolation, but you have to do more than awkwardly cut and paste old timey gaming sensibilities into a 3D engine.

Anyway, I finished The Evil Within at 12 hours and some change. So... there's a lot to unpack here and I'm not doing paragraphs. There were some seriously obnoxious and frustrating sequences, but on the whole I want to say Evil Within is pretty cool on the grounds that the engine/chara movement/shooting is good enough to be empowering, but the game is menacing because it makes it clear from the outset with shenanigans and instant kills that it's not loving around. So you are powerful and competent, but you're not in control. It's not very scary, but it's very tense with that in mind.

The story was cool, but muddled, and could've been told better, but that's true of every RE game, so not unexpected. On the whole, I actually... mostly liked it? Despite the annoying stuff. I intend to play the two Kidman DLCs, but I want to try to get them on sale. I will never ever replay or NG+ the first game. I put the second game on my wishlist for the next steam sale.

Thanks to the thread for the tips; crit+stock does seem to be the optimal use of the jello. I struggled with the set pieces and instant kills, but never with the combat. Thread nailed it. Apparently I died 40 times. Oof.
I think chase segments are something that is especially hard to translate to modern controls. Mr.X in remake 2 worked because he operated more as an assist for other enemies but as a main threat himself he was kind of toothless, the additional background processing you have to do with tank controls is just enough to make those old segments at least a little threatening.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nightcry would probably also be greatly improved if it wasn't breathtakingingly horny. Wasn't part of the Kickstart just videos of the heroine walking around in heels? Then you go to play and all the voice actors sound like they are trying out for third place in a middle school play

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clock Tower 3 was good because you turned into a magical girl to shoot the killers with arrows. Also the cutscenes were directed by Kinji Fukusaku, the last thing he did before his death (other than uh one scene of Battle Royale 2).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Clock Tower to me is just a point and click adventure except the monster can appear from multiple doors. It’s Gabriel Knight with only half the bullshit of a Sierra adventure.

Unfortunately my ideal Clock Tower is two games out of like 6 plus all the Twilight Syndrome games we never got. I think Ghost Head is kind of amazing conceptually but amazingly it is twice the bullshit of a Sierra adventure.

If I was given an infinite budget a Siren-like game is how I would approach modern Clock Tower. Siren is this weird adventure game in an interconnected world with non-linear storytelling and a focus on active stealth.

Either that or a straight Gabriel Knight 4.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Danknificent posted:

So the Clocktower formula isn't good. It never was.

:wow:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the formula of a Clock Tower game, it's extremely basic and is literally just the player having to balance solving puzzles with fending off/hiding from a stalker you can't completely defeat.

Like, sorry to be rude about this but this is just objectively wrong. Clock Tower isn't perfect by any means but there have been tons and tons of good games with the same basic mechanics of exploring a place while being hunted and solving puzzles along the way. Hell, for how basic it is, the entire genre of Granny games and clones are a good example of the evolution of that genre. Extremely amateur graphically but mechanically you're dealing with a creature of some kind that lays traps for you and tries to trick you and you have to avoid drawing its attention while solving puzzles and gathering the tools and items necessary to defeat or escape them.

e: hell, look at At Dead of Night if you want a more recent example of that type of game.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 21, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I finally booted up Observer and good lord, this game is actively unpleasant to look at. I'm not even photosensitive. Decided to shelve it after ten minutes. Given the story I looked up after, I'm not missing much. Also, the controls of "trigger to enter manipulation mode, stick to manipulate" is really clunky.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

:wow:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the formula of a Clock Tower game, it's extremely basic and is literally just the player having to balance solving puzzles with fending off/hiding from a stalker you can't completely defeat.

Like, sorry to be rude about this but this is just objectively wrong. Clock Tower isn't perfect by any means but there have been tons and tons of good games with the same basic mechanics of exploring a place while being hunted and solving puzzles along the way. Hell, for how basic it is, the entire genre of Granny games and clones are a good example of the evolution of that genre. Extremely amateur graphically but mechanically you're dealing with a creature of some kind that lays traps for you and tries to trick you and you have to avoid drawing its attention while solving puzzles and gathering the tools and items necessary to defeat or escape them.

e: hell, look at At Dead of Night if you want a more recent example of that type of game.

This is fine. My take, like I said as a fan of the original Clocktower, is that the point and click interface + hide from killer mechanic is not a good combo. It's just how I feel, and I don't need to evangelize anyone.

I like(d)* Clocktower. I didn't like Nightcry.

*in historical context--I would never play it again now. But in fact I liked it so much that I became a fan, sort of, of this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087909/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nightcry is a bad game but its got that big giallo energy sometimes

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Clock Tower 3 was good because you turned into a magical girl to shoot the killers with arrows. Also the cutscenes were directed by Kinji Fukusaku, the last thing he did before his death (other than uh one scene of Battle Royale 2).

The cutscenes are definitely something special. Especially the introduction of the acid bath killer who just loves being an evil bastard so much.

https://youtu.be/p2TlIa9Clg4

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Going through the hospital now and disregard what I said, gently caress this combat. Aiming your slow rear end for small, fast and fidgety critters is scary at first, frustrating the fifth time. At least it's still pretty infrequent.

The flashlight is absolute hell to manage with a Steam controller. I'm totally stuck on these mannequins and I might see if switching to a keyboard and mouse helps at all just to get past this.

You can actually kite the hands around. When they wind up to lunge, they will go straight forward, so you can maneuver yourself into the strike zone and wallop them as they land. I found them much more manageable than the kids in the school.

As for the flashlight, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out you can point it with the right stick while moving a different direction with the left stick. It's a common mechanic in other games but nothing like it is used in the rest of the LN games so until then I was running around trying to lead groups of mannequins around so I could cluster them together but it turns out the actual solution is far simpler, just unintuitive.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Slowly working my way through Silent Hill 3 for the first time and the sound design makes the game 10 times scarier than just the graphics and visual design would

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ferrous posted:

The cutscenes are definitely something special. Especially the introduction of the acid bath killer who just loves being an evil bastard so much.

https://youtu.be/p2TlIa9Clg4

checks out.

oldpainless posted:

Slowly working my way through Silent Hill 3 for the first time and the sound design makes the game 10 times scarier than just the graphics and visual design would

For me it's 3>1>2>4, in no small part because 3 was my first.

...I still need resolution on that text that appears in a single concept art for Closers. There's an under/undocumented thing going on with it in the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

About to dig into the Dead Space trilogy. How frequent are instant death attacks on a scale of none to The Evil Within?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not even close, DS has some bits where you might need to slow down a fan to run through without getting munched and that's about it. I guess 3 really liked those extended flying sections where you had to avoid debris.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
There are a few instant death things in the first two but they are few and far between, plus telegraphed well. There are probably a few sections where it's better just to run, even though you will be pretty comfortable for ammo and resources. Make sure to keep a spare upgrade node on you to open the doors that need them, its always worth it. By endgame if you are careful where you put the upgrade nodes you should be able to max 3 or 4 weapons no problem (assuming you find most and the various blueprints), plus most of the suit systems. Don't bother with air upgrades.

There are also a lot of collectibles and treasures, a guide is useful, especially if you want the one well hidden secret super valuable treasure.

I never played 3, but I think it has even less than the other two since it's designed with co-op in mind.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 23, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The most frequent and not even very frequent are the getting pulled scenes, either needing to shoot the big glowy bulbs on necro tentacles or shooting like shutter release switches above them.

What you should really be scared of is that drat asteroid shooter section.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There are probably more instant deaths in Silent Hill 3 than Dead Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Dead Space is vastly more forgiving than Evil Within in terms of gameplay. I personally found it a bit scarier though. I only played the first two but I liked them.