Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I'm watching the second power rangers movie, and man, it's not very good.

It does radiate with Cannon Film/Golan Brothers energy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Atrocious Joe posted:

there's Fantastic Four casting rumors going around. I firmly believe Nathan Fielder should be Mister Fantastic.

as long as it isn't loving john krasinksi like twitter kept harping about last week

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Krasinski would be a great reed richards as well, but im really not gonna hold my breathe for anything regarding x-men or fantastic four right now.

The fact they subverted expectations for spidey and still made it unique, of the character, and good, is still amazing to me. I watched the two movies back to back a couple days ago for the first time and im still blown away.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

My Face When posted:

Krasinski would be a great reed richards as well, but im really not gonna hold my breathe for anything regarding x-men or fantastic four right now.

The fact they subverted expectations for spidey and still made it unique, of the character, and good, is still amazing to me. I watched the two movies back to back a couple days ago for the first time and im still blown away.

i mean he'd be "great" in that Mr Fantastic is a smug prick and the worst Fantastic 4 character just like how John Krasinski is a smug prick and the worst actor in hollywood, sure

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Peanut President posted:

i mean he'd be "great" in that Mr Fantastic is a smug prick and the worst Fantastic 4 character just like how John Krasinski is a smug prick and the worst actor in hollywood, sure

I see your play and retort with "A Quiet Place".

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

john krasinskis full throated sucking off of the CIA is unbearable

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My suggestion for Mr Fantastic would be John Cho

John Krasinski is a loving Fed

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
john cho(kes)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

mr fantastic is a fed

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the only reason anyone even likes the fantastic four is dr doom

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I haven't read any fantastic four comics, or watched any movies - but the best fantastic four is in venture bros.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

If you're really worried about an actors politics, why arent you going after Pratt as well? He is a little chuddy as well and doesn't hide it, though much quieter than Gina Carano.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Atrocious Joe posted:

there's Fantastic Four casting rumors going around. I firmly believe Nathan Fielder should be Mister Fantastic.

Word on the street is that Jennifer Lawrence will play Mrs. Fantastic.

We all have to eat, I guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My Face When posted:

If you're really worried about an actors politics, why arent you going after Pratt as well? He is a little chuddy as well and doesn't hide it, though much quieter than Gina Carano.

I mean yes Chris Pratt sucks also

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

My Face When posted:

ok yeah sure gently caress him too.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Okay, just wanted to make sure we are spreading our love around.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
why are they trying the fantastic four again?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

My Face When posted:

he's Worst Chris for a reason

Eox posted:

more grist for the MCU mill

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nypost/status/1363231279349653506

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RushKanda forever

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

My Face When posted:

gina said that being a conservative is like being jewish in the holocaust so she got axed. pratt is nowhere near that stupid

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I thought all the chud poo poo about Chris Pratt was from his church and not anything he's said

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Eox posted:

Marvel/Disney have the film rights again.

Tiberius Christ posted:

I thought all the chud poo poo about Chris Pratt was from his church and not anything he's said

Yes, people hate Pratt because he goes to one of Hillingsong's branches and said his church isn't antiLGBTQ+.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 12:57 on Feb 21, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tiberius Christ posted:

someone on twitter revealed a while back that he was following a bunch of reactionary pundits on instagram. also abandoning his wife so he could marry a kennedy was pretty hosed up too.

i read somewhere jeniffer lawrence was a registered republican in kentucky so it's quite likely the first person she ever voted for was mitch mcconnell

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

My Face When posted:

what expectations did they subvert, they did a by the numbers Spider Man movie

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I'm moving my movie reviews over here since this thread is more respectable and I am trying to break into the big time

Used Cars 1980

A Dudes Rock Film.

https://i.imgur.com/vEsLmg4.mp4

Directed by Robert Zemeckis, Used Cars stars Kurt Russell as Rudy Russo, a likeable shifty used car salesman who possesses that uniquely American devious low cunning you see in all of our iconic con men, junkies and politicians. Russo's number one ambition is to scrape together enough dough to pay off the local party machine so he can become a state level politician and "tell people what they want to hear" and get in on "the graft"

https://i.imgur.com/8eg4uci.mp4

The dealership, called NEW DEAL, where Russo works is owned by a kind hearted aloof codger Luke Fuchs whose big worry is that the new highway they are putting in will force him to sell the lot. Across the street, Luke's brother Roy runs a competing dealership, extra slick, gaudy in that tacky local notable kind of way. Roy finds out that the highway is, in fact, going to go through his lot and so he is desperate to inherit his brother's lot and life insurance money so he can stay afloat.

https://i.imgur.com/xDRWD7J.mp4

To that end, Roy hires a local demolition derby driver to drive Luke to death by aggravating his heart condition,

https://i.imgur.com/aLdDCv5.mp4

which he does. Luke stumbles into the office and collapses.

https://i.imgur.com/YUOl2Sx.mp4

Rudy discovers that Luke is dying and seeing his prospects for his entry into dirty politics fading, he colludes with his buddies Jeff and Jim to hide the body and concocts a weekend at bernie's style scheme (minus the body puppetry) to prevent Roy from collecting on the lot until Rudy can net his 10 thousand bucks.

Will Rudy be able to keep up the charade until he earns enough to become a bastard?

Watch to find out!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Zardoz 1974

Zardoz is about owning the libs.

Spoilers will follow.

This film has a reputation for being a "lol look at this weird movie" kind of film but that is only because of imaginative superficial things which are actually explained incredibly well in the narrative.

Ponytail Sean Connery, in his famous outfit, is a Brutal Exterminator riding horseback through the wastes culling the human population on behalf of his god, Zardoz, which is a giant stone head which pukes guns and makes derisive comments about procreation

Zed stows away on Zardoz one day because, as we later learn, the Exterminators have become suspicious of their god after he orders them to farm instead of just ranging around killing people

Inside the giant head, Zed discovers a man and kills him, that man, we later learn is a part of a community which is isolated from the harsh conditions of the wastelands, in domes of pristine beauty, where they live lives of ease and luxury. This man that Zed kills was tasked with constructing a social scheme to control the human population of the outlands and had a flair for the dramatic so he invented this garish religion angle to gussy up the task of administering a slow moving genocide

the bubble communities, Vortexes, we come to find, were created by the liberal elite as the apocalypse unfolded, they entrusted the maintenance of the basic aspects of society to an AI called the tabernacle which also used a genetic/conciousness uploading scheme to make everyone functionally immortal (that is why they are called Eternals) and gave themselves over to the pursuit of the great questions of the universe while conditions outside the vortexes deteriorated.

here is a brief history

https://i.imgur.com/pwtDduc.mp4

and continuing

https://i.imgur.com/tAL2aPm.mp4

the concept above, that the Eternals tried and failed to answer the great questions of the universe, is critical to the film and very poignant, that there is an epistemological horizon which can never be approached, questions which can never be answered. The whole entire Vortex project, the creation of the Eternals, was a faulty premise which has created an absolutely insane society which is every caricature of a bourgeois hippy commune/polycule you can imagine smashed together with the smarmy veneer of bourgeois academia slathered all over it.

A sizeable portion of the population is seething with resentment and craves death. Many have become "apathetic" a sort of dissociative catatonic hebephrenic state and that is why they had to grow bread in the outlands in the first place. a decadent society shot through with social pathologies

https://i.imgur.com/mCdqpSP.mp4

We later come to find that Zed was genetically engineered from the inside in order to bring down the vortex system by the man behind Zardoz himself, kwisatz haderach style

This exchange near the end earns deep respect from me as it plants the film securely on a dialectical materialist footing

https://i.imgur.com/DwrNlAm.mp4

also this film has the sickest burn on lib NIMBY attitude right here

"I always voted against forced farming"

"You eat the bread"

https://i.imgur.com/Gdhxwlv.mp4

loving sick!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Rollerball[ (1975)

A whole lot of movies do the corporate state dystopia thing but Rollerball is distinct in that it showcases the impact of the corporate state on the people at the very top.

The main character is a dedicated Rollerballer, Jonathan E, and he just wants to rollerball because he is the Tom Brady of Rollerball

he gets asked to leave the game because his popularity and prowess are perceived as a threat by the corporate directorate.

this sets off a chain of events where the directorate attempts to make the rules of the game more and more barbaric and offer Jonathan greater and greater luxuries to abandon his career in order to squeeze him out.

The liaison for the corporate system in the film, Mr Bartholomew,

https://i.imgur.com/9jb2dzD.mp4

straightforwardly describes why jonathan is rocking the boat, describing the game as a purposeful meat grinder, something no one was supposed to be good at, that just chewed people up like nothing for the sheer spectacle of it. Jonathan E begins to wonder how the world got to this sorry state in the first place and goes on a quest for information and discovers that the consolidation of data centers has allowed information to be tightly controlled by the corporate state.

https://i.imgur.com/E1GTYTt.mp4

So what does he do?

He loving rollerballs, that's what.

https://i.imgur.com/YBGhMvk.mp4

The film also depicts the psychotic decadence of the ruling class in a way that tracks very smartly with our lived experience with people of wealth

https://i.imgur.com/EakxWA0.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/HKViEdn.mp4

and it understands that nothing matters

https://i.imgur.com/X34porS.mp4

Learn more about Rollerball at your local library

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

God Hole posted:

someone on twitter revealed a while back that he was following a bunch of reactionary pundits on instagram. also abandoning his wife so he could marry a kennedy was pretty hosed up too.

i read somewhere jeniffer lawrence was a registered republican in kentucky so it's quite likely the first person she ever voted for was mitch mcconnell

I posted that once in here I think lmao, the first election she was eligible to vote would have been 2008 when he was up for reelection in her home state so it's very possible

Tiberius Christ posted:

one time he tweeted "man they just don't make movies about how hard it is to be a white guy these days" and then got dunked on a million times and so he was like "wow my bad I guess I was wrong" so I'm not sure he's actually right-wing, I think he's just not very bright

also apropos of nothing I remembered how in the comics the fantastic four originally got their powers from not following safety standards in their rush to beat the soviets to space lol

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

indigi posted:

what expectations did they subvert, they did a by the numbers Spider Man movie

tbh it's a big move from a movie company to believe their audience is smart enough to not need a spider man origin story or go straight into how half his high school is severely traumatized and 5 years younger than their friends because someone wished them out of existence(which I think most people thought they'd just put the movie before all that poo poo) in another movie franchise

of course, there probably weren't an insignificant number of adult marvel fans leaving the theater going "HOW DOES HE STICK TO WALLS?!??!!"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

john cho is almost too charismatic. Searching was just him acting into a webcam and posting for most of it's runtime, and it's still somehow watchable.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
JLaw will make a terrible Sue imo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zardoz owns and predicts social media amazingly well.

Rollerball owns in being a true corporate hellscape.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
chris pratt joined parler lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Laterite posted:

chris pratt joined parler lmao

Oof. Get em out of here.

Edit: it is unverified so no way to know if it is him.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Feb 21, 2021

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Curious if anyone has links to decent political readings on anything related to Star Trek?

From what I've seen the franchise as a whole seems pretty neolib IMO, but it's pretty novel to watch something like TNG with such sincere optimism in TYOOL 2021

I've been making my way through the films, too. If horny wasn't prohibited, I'd talk more about how much Ricardo Montalban owns but alas

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Curious if anyone has links to decent political readings on anything related to Star Trek?

From what I've seen the franchise as a whole seems pretty neolib IMO, but it's pretty novel to watch something like TNG with such sincere optimism in TYOOL 2021

I've been making my way through the films, too. If horny wasn't prohibited, I'd talk more about how much Ricardo Montalban owns but alas

watch ds9 if you havent

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

watch ds9 if you havent

I've seen a few episodes and really liked it.

Wanna get drunk at that ferengi bar real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the episodes where DS9 time travels back to San Fransisco are the best Star Trek ever imo

e: the only think I don't like is the plot twist involving Sisko