Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What kind of people are they using for these focus groups lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nurmie posted:

films, games, memorabilia and countless lovely books about some random everyman going back in time and personally warning Stalin/Brezhnev/Andropov about evil nazi/capitalist/liberal plots against the mighty USSR just in time and changing history.
tbh this sounds much more cool and good than the actual real world effects of such nostalgia like nazbols.

MikeCrotch posted:

Boden has already reneged on ending deportations, Starmer should have just worked out he barefacedly lie here

Ofc saying anything about being woke would mean possibly alienating some gammons in Scunthorpe which would never do
Any question about 'woke' doesn't deserve any answer other than "what the gently caress is woke? I've never heard anything about woke other than people complaining such and such is woke. Tell me what it means first." because otherwise it just legitimizes it as a criticism.

Is he worse than Johnson now? (Boris and/or Alan)

How is decriminalization even still a debate? After Canada and the entire US West Coast it should be "legalization yes/no" and big boy pubis prosecutor should be able to say "well we've got a backlog of 3 years in the courts so I don't think the British public want to see time and money wasted on grown adults growing the wrong type of plant, it should be an issue for HMRC."

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

As if accusations of hypocrisy would ever slow the onrushing bulk of Johnson

Only small children can do that:

All things considered, it's probably a good idea to keep children out of reach of Tory MPs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you reason that he become the king poo poo prosecutor because he loves prison and putting people in it, it makes sense.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I posted last night about a couple of our local CLP officers being suspended (I don't know what for) but since then I found out that apparently over half the CLP Exec have quit any officer roles - partly in disgust at the stalinist approach of the Starmer & Evans, and now another few in solidarity with the suspended persons. It can't be the only CLP going through this! I do feel sorry for the Labour candidate for the senedd because she really is an excellent candidate (as a personal person).

Nostalgia chat:

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't even know what I'm saying with this post really, just... guard yourself against letting nostalgia inform your politics because I can absolutely see how if this feeling is common rather than something that occasionally takes hold every few months, it's something you start to want changed, and you start listening to the people who promise to make you feel the way you did when you were young again.

Very good post Ms A.

It's not just the British who get nostalgic for a non-existent past: I know Egyptians - younger than me and I wasn't born until 1960 - who come out with "Everything was so good under the King we had proper lorries for furniture moving and bread for everyone" (the last King of Egypt was deposed in 1953 when he was just 1 year old). Slovenians who were toddlers under Tito who say "Everything was so good under Tito - we all had a nice house and free education - so he killed 100000 people, but we were ok'

For a lot of people, I think it is fear of change. For Egyptians post-revolution, they no longer knew who to hand over brown paper envelopes pay commissions to in order to expedite the 3 days of pushing and shoving queuing in lines and getting stamps from window A before being told to queue at Window Z for another stamp then back to Window A for another 2 hours and so on to sort out the most minor government paperwork.

I also think that there is an element of people being actually very young (or not even born) and being mostly unaware of adult life under these past idylls - managing money, going to work, bringing up kids and so on, so the nostalgia is partly for a time when you didn't have to worry about any of that stuff because someone else was doing all the worrying on your behalf. Also, without the internet, a lot of people were blissfully unaware of things that were going on.

Total Meatlove posted:

Why is it so difficult for them to get one person, just one, in his staff to explain a sport to him? Like if he came out during the six nations and said ‘to be honest I don’t really follow a team, but I’m a big fan of Union and has a soft spot for the Tigers, can’t wait to see the England / Wales game’ it’d get literally gently caress all follow up.

Try getting to be PM in the UK if you don't actually give a stuff about which team wins a poxy football or rugby or cricket match or who wins Cake Off. This is why I'll never be absolute dictator a successful politician because I do not know or care about any of that crap and cannot pretend otherwise. Sport on TV is banned from my home.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 21, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you reason that he become the king poo poo prosecutor because he loves prison and putting people in it, it makes sense.

But he loves giving immunity to state operatives and right-wing politicians so it is openly class war lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Irish Twitter is getting extremely astroTERFed by Brit mutants at the moment and I don't like it

https://twitter.com/wendylyon/status/1363426093017915394?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

Remember years back when the BNP membership list leaked? And you could look up online to see which of your neighbours was a racist mutant?

It's that list. If you're a former BNP member you get invited to Labour Party focus groups.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

But he loves giving immunity to state operatives and right-wing politicians so it is openly class war lol

I mean yeah I guess that's sort of implied that prison is only for the povs.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Try getting to be PM in the UK if you don't actually give a stuff about which team wins a poxy football or rugby or cricket match or who wins Cake Off. This is why I'll never be absolute dictator a successful politician because I do not know or care about any of that crap and cannot pretend otherwise. Sport on TV is banned from my home.

Depriving yourself of culture to own the?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If that's culture I will deal with being uncultured.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Even the worst shambling corpses of West US Dems have figured out that the drug war is such a disaster that you can end prohibition and do a class war and make some money from vested interests at the same time, while throwing a few more billion at the security state.

This is a special kind of bad beyond that when BoJo was talking about 'proper' legalization a couple of years back (proper probably meaning you have to get your grow licence through country club nepotism, but still).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

The same people who are in every focus group. People too slow or too stupid to avoid a person coming towards them with a clipboard.

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1363459054899765254

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If that's culture I will deal with being uncultured.

:lol: this might be one of the saddest things posted in a UKMT

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

Lmao I see you wasted absolutely no time in spinning up a new avatar

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/BThroughParty/status/1363067190891675650?s=20

(I've never heard of the Breakthrough Party before now btw - just posted for the vid clip)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 21, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never felt that my life would be improved by watching tv or sports.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'll start giving a poo poo about football* when football fans start giving a poo poo about the best culture, videogames

*lmao no i won';t

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Total Meatlove posted:

:lol: this might be one of the saddest things posted in a UKMT

Only rivalled by

Total Meatlove posted:

Depriving yourself of culture to own the?

I don't think not watching the cooking competition & City vs United is actually much in the way of depriving yourself of culture. It's light entertainment, & if you don't enjoy it why would you watch it? I don't want to go watch musical theatre, so I don't really feel much in the way of deprivation.

Anyway, more importantly

https://twitter.com/alasdair_clark/status/1363455293301149697?s=20

Imagine getting your tongue bitten off in a fight only to see a seagull nick it. Raging.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I've never felt that my life would be improved by watching tv or sports.

Man, there's so much good tv... :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"Everything was so good under the King we had proper lorries for furniture moving and bread for everyone"
Didn't Egypt have a (3-)ton of surplus Bedford QLs around that time?

It may have been an oppressive autocracy, but you can't deny that they're good at moving a sofa.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Sport is culture, crappy reality TV is culture, lovely transphobic fantasy novels are culture everything people create to entertain, compete, inform or distinguish themselves is culture.

Culture is and should be value neutral in and of itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Man, there's so much good tv... :smith:

There's good other stuff too. Videogames, being outside, staring at the ceiling, I have lots of other ways to spend my time.

Basically though I don't like the format. Like, the entire format of "you watch a thing happen at you" so that means no TV, movies, theater, music shows, anything like that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 21, 2021

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Didn't see it mentioned earlier but Kieth also came out in favour of 'Nightingale classrooms' in his push to have schools reopening. Obviously no details in what that phrase means. Use the local town hall/church/Costa for classes?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1363455574487236608?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sad Panda posted:

Didn't see it mentioned earlier but Kieth also came out in favour of 'Nightingale classrooms' in his push to have schools reopening. Obviously no details in what that phrase means. Use the local town hall/church/Costa for classes?
It means all the kids get cholera.

No idea how he'll achieve that in 2021, but by George and Saint England he'll try.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sad Panda posted:

Nightingale wards were a Victorian attempt to mitigate cross-infection from one ward to another: each ward stuck out on its own from a central core.

The cruciform shape of the old Waterhouse design of University College Hospital in central London was an attempt to replicate this in a much smaller footprint by going vertical:

Quite how you could achieve something like this with existing schools, I have no idea.

Ed: Fun fact: I've actually worked in 3 of the buildings in this photo!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 21, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/ChardineTaylor/status/1363458249756966912

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Might not even be a lie, might be "voted for blair, never since"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1363463041334018049?s=21

Lol at how stupid and disingenuous this argument is. If this is his reasoning, surely he should support decriminalising possession and allowing people to grow their own.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Only rivalled by

In response to ‘sport is banned from my TV’.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

In response to ‘sport is banned from my TV’.

If I were absolute dictator, I would make all tvs have a compulsory V switch so any one person in a home could block all sport from ever appearing on a tv in that home.
I go to my sister's, there's this huge tv dominating the living room and it's always full of poxy sport (her husband is a sports fanatic) and that horrible noise of commentators and crowds.
Never any actually entertaining progs on such as Law n Order, NCIS, CSI, Lewis*, Midsomer Murders, Murder She Wrote, Taggart...

*less enjoyable since finding out what a twerp the sidekick bloke is in real life.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Quite how you could achieve something like this with existing schools, I have no idea.

You sell off the existing schools to property developers and relocate the pupils to the now empty lovely town centre office space (one class per floor).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jose posted:

The thing is starmer has himself just been implicated in a corruption scandal so if he calls on Hancock to resign it'll get turned back on him

That's exactly it, the timing on the media choosing to make a big deal of something that was seemingly known in December to clash with the same sort of wrongdoing by the Tories is pretty special. Strong "We can destroy you any day of the week (not that we need to)" energy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If I were absolute dictator, I would make all tvs have a compulsory V switch so any one person in a home could block all sport from ever appearing on a tv in that home.
I go to my sister's, there's this huge tv dominating the living room and it's always full of poxy sport (her husband is a sports fanatic) and that horrible noise of commentators and crowds.
Never any actually entertaining progs on such as Law n Order, NCIS, CSI, Lewis, Midsomer Murders, Murder She Wrote, Taggart...

source your quotes

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'll start giving a poo poo about football* when football fans start giving a poo poo about the best culture, videogames

*lmao no i won';t

My friend have you heard of a series of videogames called FIFA?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bump_fn posted:

source your quotes

source: me and what I watch on tv.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mrpwase posted:

My friend have you heard of a series of videogames called FIFA?

I think "series of opportunities to pay for the same game" might be more accurate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1363463041334018049?s=21

Lol at how stupid and disingenuous this argument is. If this is his reasoning, surely he should support decriminalising possession and allowing people to grow their own.
Ash and Kieth are both right and wrong here for different reasons.

Decriminalizing personal use it good for public health, because a century of prohibition has proved that it does nothing to decrease use and probably increases it, but decriminalizing personal use and doing nothing about the other end of the equation does nothing to address the crime, gangs, 'county lines' or whatever we're calling it now, and knock on effects of the trade.

Which is why almost all sensible discussion has blown past decrim and into how sensibly licensed legalization would look.

(But that's not a good reason to avoid talking about decrim at all kieth.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I think "series of opportunities to pay for the same game" might be more accurate.

I've always wondered about this particular critique. Does it extend to all of the CoD games as well?

Also, I don't think I have sat down and watched a TV programme in about a decade now. I'm glad people are having fun with it though.