Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Re the swamp my seed has a wide canal between two islands with swamp on either side and like 5 crypts just overlooking eachother from the banks. Also a mountain at the starter island and trader right on the path to the third boss.

I found a village on meadows with large buildings that had draugr in there, is this something that happens after second boss it is there just random draugr on farther away meadows Biomes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Just built a raft for the first time and hopped on to test it out, didn't realize how the wind worked. Got like 50 feet out when I decided to turn back but of course the wind was against me. Sailed all throughout the cold, storming night in pitch black with the wind until I landed in a black forest near the 2nd boss. Still being the middle of the night I was immediately ambushed by two 2 star greydwarves, a brute, a shaman, and like 4 normal ones

I'm still in leather gear so I have no idea how I managed to survive but.... jesus christ :stare:

Think I'm gonna just turn on cheats and fly back to my main base because I didn't even put a portal down :smith:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Is it 8Bitdo?
Update the firmware to 5.0

Might be. I wasn't even using it on the PC, I was just charging it, I play Valheim with M+KB, haha.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

zeldadude posted:

Just built a raft for the first time and hopped on to test it out, didn't realize how the wind worked. Got like 50 feet out when I decided to turn back but of course the wind was against me. Sailed all throughout the cold, storming night in pitch black with the wind until I landed in a black forest near the 2nd boss. Still being the middle of the night I was immediately ambushed by two 2 star greydwarves, a brute, a shaman, and like 4 normal ones

I'm still in leather gear so I have no idea how I managed to survive but.... jesus christ :stare:

:black101:

zeldadude posted:

Think I'm gonna just turn on cheats and fly back to my main base because I didn't even put a portal down :smith:

:catstare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
First boss hilariously trivial, lol. Black forest is still a little rough and there don't appear to be any caves in the tiny patch of it near my first Real House, but at least I have the material for a t2 bow now and was able to kill a troll with my t1. Not cheaply, but it's not like I'm going to run out of trees for crummy wooden arrows.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Cactus posted:

LESS loving DEER NOISES!

"URGH URGH URGH"
-gently caress off.

More deer noises :colbert:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Woden posted:

Can I just skip the swamp?

I've got enough iron for tier 3 iron armour but I still don't know where the boss is and am getting kind of tired of swamps.

Took some frost potions to the mountains and found 2 mountain boss locations but no silver, sniped some plains monsters but can't refine the ores. Am I locked out of higher tier gear until I find the swamp boss?

Ironically, you still need Iron for T5 armor. There is also a way to chump the 3rd/4th boss. I forget what the spoiler tags are but you can find the vids on youtube.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

God drat, the third boss is a pain in the rear end.

Even with an iron mace, full iron armour and poison resist mead, the dude just has infinite hitpoints, and mine don't come back fast enough. He has a million adds at all times, too.

I might just try upgrading all my gear to max level and going again with the best food I can get - sausages and a couple of mushrooms weren't cutting it.

Get some carrot (Black Forest) and turnip (Swamp) seeds and use them to cycle between seed plants and plants and make carrot and turnip soup to go with the sausages.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just did the second boss after getting a l3 fine bow from a friend. He took a lot of hits to kill but overall he was a chump. a 1-star troll attacked at the same time so we killed that first, it did more damage to us by far. The boss did so little I swapped to a spear and did melee for the last part. Are other bosses harder?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

redreader posted:

I just did the second boss after getting a l3 fine bow from a friend. He took a lot of hits to kill but overall he was a chump. a 1-star troll attacked at the same time so we killed that first, it did more damage to us by far. The boss did so little I swapped to a spear and did melee for the last part. Are other bosses harder?

You notice the difficulty curve increasing from the first to second boss? It's going to continue to increase

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cactus posted:

LESS loving DEER NOISES!

"URGH URGH URGH"
-gently caress off.
I kill these things just to shut them up. So damned annoying. :sherman:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

More deer noises :colbert:

Valheimdeer.wav

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGTd1vejKw

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I need to sleep.

Shout out to my server buds for the amazing supply runs that kept this project going fast.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

zeldadude posted:

Just built a raft for the first time and hopped on to test it out, didn't realize how the wind worked. Got like 50 feet out when I decided to turn back but of course the wind was against me. Sailed all throughout the cold, storming night in pitch black with the wind until I landed in a black forest near the 2nd boss.

The "Speed 1" setting is rowing and works even against the wind, just so you know for the future!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Are you completely immune to the wind/driving the boat like a car with the sails disabled? You'd expect water currents and wind just against the hull to still gently caress you up for precision maneuvers, but I guess my viking has sufficient proficiency at rowing to automatically compensate for that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Big waves will still push you around and throw you off heading a lot.

The weird thing is boats basically freeze in place about a second everyone jumps out. Though they can still be pushed around by players (or monsters?) pushing against the hull they'll do nothing but float stationary and waves can't seem to move them (besides up and down with the water)

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Is there any in game mechanic that affects the rate of base invasions? We can go days without a single one and then three or four happen in rapid succession.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Got gifted this game by a goon friend and it is scary good. The visual aesthetic is downright gorgeous and I'm having a ton of fun just figuring stuff out. I beat the first boss and now I'm trying to go far enough out that I can find a burial chamber that wasn't ransacked by the other people on this server.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Disparate senses of aesthetics is stressful as hell. Until Viking HOAs are enforceable on a server level I'm building a secret base far away from my fellow players' reenactment of the Destruction of Isengard.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Protocol7 posted:

I figured out the brutes, they're pretty easy to kite and shoot with a bow+arrow or just repeatedly hitting it with a spear. Will try the plain old club on the bone dudes, thanks.

Brutes attack super slow and the parry window is very generous. Bring a shield and just hit block whenever they try to hit you, get one hit in, repeat.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I've decided my favourite thing in this game is hacking away at tree when a greyling comes blundering by and catches an axe to the skull mid-swing. Never come between a Viking man and his daily deforestation, boys.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I hope when they expand taming I can just strap a boar to the cart and send it to my home instead of having to rikshaw a bunch of ore and wood over land

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

anatomi posted:

Disparate senses of aesthetics is stressful as hell. Until Viking HOAs are enforceable on a server level I'm building a secret base far away from my fellow players' reenactment of the Destruction of Isengard.

I ended up doing this because my friends are in a constant state of building teardown and rebuild to one up eachother and each eyesore is worse than the last.

Also its real laggy having multiple few hundred piece structures next to eachother.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Warbird posted:

I’ve seen folks asking about hosting servers in a few places and figured I’d share something I typed up for another group of folks here should it be of any usage. Friends don’t let friends pay a premium for hosted servers.

so this is really cool, thanks for that.

for people doing this on windows who presumably do not touch computer in quite such an intimate way for a living, my lessons are:

• the cat command doesn't work; just copy the contents of the id_rsa.pub file by opening it in notepad
  • take the BB tags out of the wget line to install the server manager
  • entering [External IP]:2457 won't work if you've set the config to port="2456"

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

I need to sleep.

Shout out to my server buds for the amazing supply runs that kept this project going fast.

very nice!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I found this hidden gem on the steam community page and laughed my rear end off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgmt0q7UKw

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Commoners posted:

I found this hidden gem on the steam community page and laughed my rear end off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgmt0q7UKw

and they were doing so well!

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The "Speed 1" setting is rowing and works even against the wind, just so you know for the future!

Hot drat, guess I won't have to use cheats! Thanks, wish I knew that last night hahaha. Still was a good time though

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The sailing music in this game is incredibly relaxing.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Well turns out I really enjoy the Crypts... but I think I'm done with them for awhile:

this took forever to refine by myself :smith:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goddamn!

Show me your docks! I have one that you park along and it handles many different heights but you gotta kinda k turn in.
I'm having a helluva time building anything more than a few squares off the coast, even with the core wood poles.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CRAYON posted:

Well turns out I really enjoy the Crypts... but I think I'm done with them for awhile:

this took forever to refine by myself :smith:

That's it, I'm building another longship and if it flips out due to wonky physics I'll just console myself the ingredients back.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

so this is really cool, thanks for that.

for people doing this on windows who presumably do not touch computer in quite such an intimate way for a living, my lessons are:

• the cat command doesn't work; just copy the contents of the id_rsa.pub file by opening it in notepad
  • take the BB tags out of the wget line to install the server manager
  • entering [External IP]:2457 won't work if you've set the config to port="2456"

Minor point of order, cat should work in powershell unless something weird is going on, but your point stands. Whatever works is best. Microsoft more or less has all Linux commands you want redirect to their Powershell versions. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll make a few tweaks when I have some time this afternoon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sorry yeah i should have said i was just using cmd.exe, forgot about the powershell mention

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn!

Show me your docks! I have one that you park along and it handles many different heights but you gotta kinda k turn in.
I'm having a helluva time building anything more than a few squares off the coast, even with the core wood poles.

I was having the same problem so I just decided to make it with the raise ground tool and add wood features later:

The longship scrapes a tiny bit when coming in but I kind of like that I just park and leave the exact same way every time. Before I had a straight dock and every landing was me running and jumping off the boat seconds before it was about to either fly by the dock or smash into it.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 21, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn!

Full disclosure: I cheated to make this. I've done enough runs for stone/wood so just flying around building stuff with no resource requirements is so much more fun at this point. Pretty proud of this though, the steps are a nice way to guide the boat in if I'm not quite at the right angle.

Edit: Also now that I have this next to my home the game runs considerably worse while I'm around it lol

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 21, 2021

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think I hit my first bug or weirdness. I'm sailing to Bonemass on the edge of the earth and his location is a swamp surrounded by Mistlands(scary) and plains(in my experience, instant death) and so I am trying to build my portal on this wee little island out off the coast but I can't get the portal or workbench to actually appear. Guessing that this is some kind of weird terrain or something and I don't have the tools to build on it, since it seems to also have a Barnacle resource that I haven't seen in any other biome. Am I missing something stupid here, is it a bug, or does this make sense later in the progression?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Omnicarus posted:

I think I hit my first bug or weirdness. I'm sailing to Bonemass on the edge of the earth and his location is a swamp surrounded by Mistlands(scary) and plains(in my experience, instant death) and so I am trying to build my portal on this wee little island out off the coast but I can't get the portal or workbench to actually appear. Guessing that this is some kind of weird terrain or something and I don't have the tools to build on it, since it seems to also have a Barnacle resource that I haven't seen in any other biome. Am I missing something stupid here, is it a bug, or does this make sense later in the progression?

Just mine the barnacles first, they have a tendency to prevent building for some reason.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Just mine the barnacles first, they have a tendency to prevent building for some reason.

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any advice on the best silver tier items to start aside from the bow? I'm thinking its time to finally replace my troll hide armor with the wolf stuff. The silver sword is really tempting too, though I have no current skill in swords.

Weirdly enough at the moment I have easier access to silver than I do iron to my main base so I might just skip iron until the silver runs out.