Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Bungie Halos also managed an effective balance between the immediate story and the broader lore. There was enough to hint and draw interest in that broader world but it never distracted from the immediate goals of Chief and the Arbiter. The 343 Halos specifically hosed that up by trying to put the books and related poo poo into the main story because they were explicitly operating on the idea that Halo was a new generation's Star Wars, even though it was already fading by time they took over. Halo 4 expected you to either already know who the precursors were or to go buy the books to find out. Then when Halo 4 didn't really take off, they do another soft reboot with their OC, which also didn't work. Now Infinite is another soft reboot but the story is built on the two Halo Wars games, which had their own soft reboot between 1 and 2 and nobody really played in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time and this weird rear end soundtrack and sound effects are most assuredly going to give me a heart attack

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the opening riffs of "You're Not Here" still get my pulse up just from being part of the opening sequence

there's also something vaguely off about the song in a way that's different from SH's usual music, it's poppy rock on the surface but with the occasional yamaoka-esque yowling discordance mixed in

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Rise of the Tomb Raider: It was nice of Lara's dead mom to write puzzle-relevant information in ALL CAPS.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

oldpainless posted:

Playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time and this weird rear end soundtrack and sound effects are most assuredly going to give me a heart attack

That soundtrack is the music of young adulthood, existentialism and depression. It's great!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oxxidation posted:

the opening riffs of "You're Not Here" still get my pulse up just from being part of the opening sequence

there's also something vaguely off about the song in a way that's different from SH's usual music, it's poppy rock on the surface but with the occasional yamaoka-esque yowling discordance mixed in

Silent Hill 3 is a game about a teenager, it makes sense that the soundtrack reflects that too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Missed opportunity to literally do just that and have a completely unbroken one as a boss fight. Make it multi phase and when you beat him he turns into one of the regular ones.

Edit: ooh, a boss fight chain where the first time you fight the unblemish pure demon, you get a minor upgrade components like "demon skin" that unlocks higher tiers of upgrades and as you progress through the game you have rematches with the creature and it breaks down more and more, giving you more components for upgrade tiers until you finish it off, crippled, maimed, mutilated, harmless, and extract the final upgrade component from it.

I've never played Monster Hunter but this just sounds like you're talking about Monster Hunter.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Len posted:

Oof, uh I did not actually watch that entire clip. I originally learned about it from a show on either G4 or TechTV or G4TechTV

Edit: no slurs here up until the soccer ball. I stopped once he was gonna show me that

https://youtu.be/o6kq11ul1_o

I wonder if you can dual wield by combining both methods.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A deep cut but I’ve been playing the first Pajama Sam game with my 3yo and it’s really neat that they randomize their puzzle solutions. There’s only like three puzzles to solve but since we beat it and my kid wanted to immediately play it again, it was nice that it wasn’t the exact same experience.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Humongous Entertainment knew their audience for sure. I replayed those games a bunch as a kid, and it was really was nice that it wasn't always the same.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Doom Eternal:
Is there some story DLC that I missed? I played Doom 2016 a bunch and I have no idea what the gently caress a Khan Makyr or a Sentinel is. Reminds me of Halo 4 where they made a big deal out of some character in the halo novels but no one one who hadn't read them knew who the Didact was.

Also these first person jumping and dashing puzzles are bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doom Eternal is the anime after the timeskip chapter. That's honestly the best way to describe the story it plops you headfirst into.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not only can you wear the spider-punk costume in the ps4 game, J Jonah Jameson will comment on it. He was around when punk was born and he didn't like it then neither:argh:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Is there some story DLC that I missed? I played Doom 2016 a bunch and I have no idea what the gently caress a Khan Makyr or a Sentinel is. Reminds me of Halo 4 where they made a big deal out of some character in the halo novels but no one one who hadn't read them knew who the Didact was.

No, it starts in media res and expects you to figure it out yourself or read the in-game codex. I did not figure it out because holy poo poo I do not care, they took the wrongest lesson possible from people reacting positively to Doom 2016's plot, like 'we have lore you can read if you wanna deep dive in to this ridiculous world, we have doomguy smashing everything that threatens to tell him about the lore of the world or motives of characters doing evil stuff. For the sequel we'll make those things less at odds and make doomguy care deeply about lore stuff and watch ghosts and poo poo talk about it.'

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Which is so weird, because DOOM 2016 entirely made fun of that type of game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked giving Doomguy some personal involvement in the story in Eternal because it kind of funnels the game's universe back into one path after explicitly saying "every alternate universe doom adventure is practically canon" and opening the floodgates of creativity in the last game. The more in your face story of Doom Eternal is perhaps meant to reel it back in and say "from here on, this is the one true doom story and here's all the proper nouns and acronyms you need to know going forward".

edit: It's also really funny to watch Doomguy stomp around like he's in a wrestling promo and turn his back on the villain while they monologue at him and stuff. By now they've got to be at least partially aware of how stupid and funny it is for him to just stare everything down in complete silence.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Feb 20, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My take on Eternal is, if you’re making a Doom game and you find yourself creating a level where you walk down a long hall not killing anything but repeatedly triggering cutscenes for what feels like 10 minutes, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate everything that led you to this point

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
playing through DOOM 2016 and even in that one some of the cutscenes feel too long. like, okay, game... i get that olivia pearce is bad. tell sam hayden to hurry uo and open the airlock so i can stop her.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I was lukewarm on Doom Eternal overall but I love Doomguy’s attitude. He is an unstoppable force of nature, forever marching forward and killing everything in his path. When the Big Bad mouths off about fate or how Doomguy’s fight is useless, you get a real sense that DG is just silently putting them on a long list of “things to kill” without really listening or caring.

I also liked that there are no scenes where DG is made powerless for plot reasons. No sucker punches, no imprisonment or binding, no sucking his power away so the enemy can monologue. DG is canonically powerful enough to kill anything and if he hasn’t killed it it’s because the thing is a hologram or DG needs it to kill other things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I liked giving Doomguy some personal involvement in the story in Eternal because it kind of funnels the game's universe back into one path after explicitly saying "every alternate universe doom adventure is practically canon" and opening the floodgates of creativity in the last game. The more in your face story of Doom Eternal is perhaps meant to reel it back in and say "from here on, this is the one true doom story and here's all the proper nouns and acronyms you need to know going forward".

edit: It's also really funny to watch Doomguy stomp around like he's in a wrestling promo and turn his back on the villain while they monologue at him and stuff. By now they've got to be at least partially aware of how stupid and funny it is for him to just stare everything down in complete silence.

It's such an easy simple set up to have someone monologuing at him while a demon pops up in the background and Doomguy's head- and the camera- snaps to focus on that with aimbot accuracy.

Thankfully though, despite both Doom and Halo having stories I don't care at all about, neither of them have gone down the breeding camps direction that Gears of War did

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

the breeding camps direction that Gears of War did

what the gently caress :stonk:

i only played the first two... i don't actually want to know. but what the gently caress

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I was lukewarm on Doom Eternal overall but I love Doomguy’s attitude. He is an unstoppable force of nature, forever marching forward and killing everything in his path. When the Big Bad mouths off about fate or how Doomguy’s fight is useless, you get a real sense that DG is just silently putting them on a long list of “things to kill” without really listening or caring.

I also liked that there are no scenes where DG is made powerless for plot reasons. No sucker punches, no imprisonment or binding, no sucking his power away so the enemy can monologue. DG is canonically powerful enough to kill anything and if he hasn’t killed it it’s because the thing is a hologram or DG needs it to kill other things.

On the other hand, at one point some ghost king shows up and says that actually it's bad to kill demons, and doomguy...kneels before him as though this is a viewpoint he could respect? I had no idea what was going on but at that point I resolved to pay no attention to the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWKhlQzPnE

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sally posted:

what the gently caress :stonk:

i only played the first two... i don't actually want to know. but what the gently caress

This is something from the novels where women are required to make as many babies as possible to replenish CoG numbers. It gets referenced in some of the later games, I think, but never something the games make you a part of, to my knowledge.

edit: it may be worth mentioning the novels in question were written by a woman named Karen Traviss.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Feb 21, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

It's such an easy simple set up to have someone monologuing at him while a demon pops up in the background and Doomguy's head- and the camera- snaps to focus on that with aimbot accuracy.

Thankfully though, despite both Doom and Halo having stories I don't care at all about, neither of them have gone down the breeding camps direction that Gears of War did

But people online, even on left-leaning sites like SA, still get incredibly mad if you dare say that you think you should be able to play as a woman in those games and that you can't immerse yourself or click like you're supposed to if you're required to play a dude. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is something from the novels where women are required to make as many babies as possible to replenish CoG numbers. It gets referenced in some of the later games, I think, but never something the games make you a part of, to my knowledge.

It gets mentioned offhand in the games but you wouldn't actually realize the implication without it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Even then the games are terrible about their female characters, like Dom's wife, who only exists to get tortured so badly that by the time Dom rescues her all he can do anymore is mercy kill her, and use that to spur him on the rest of his story. It's a pretty gross variant of fridging.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

But people online, even on left-leaning sites like SA, still get incredibly mad if you dare say that you think you should be able to play as a woman in those games and that you can't immerse yourself or click like you're supposed to if you're required to play a dude. :v:

The reason there isn't a female doom slayer is because they know their writers wouldn't be able to hold off the "yas slay queen" lines.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's weird and I don't get why everyone keeps getting so invested as to make it an argument every time the topic comes up.

Push El Burrito posted:

The reason there isn't a female doom slayer is because they know their writers wouldn't be able to hold off the "yas slay queen" lines.

While I'm sure they wouldn't go and make Doom Slayer into some kind of lovely 'Come and Play, My Lord' mobile game characters with 4-inch heels, I can't stop thinking that the game would turn into all the demons sweating over her coming to kill them like what's going on with the giant vampire woman from the currently unreleased Resident Evil game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doom Eternal's story was much weaker than Doom 2016 but all the dumb lore didn't come out of nowhere, it was more or less a direct sequel to Doom 64.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You know as I'm playing through Doom 2016 right now and while it is a really good game, I think the superlative praise it got was more about bethesda not loving up as everyone expected them to. I bought Doom Eternal on release (still haven't played 2016 then) and the dumb exposition and forced tutorials made my eyes turn back inside my skull. I'm already annoyed at the game locking you in place to TELL YOU THE PLOT in Doom2016 despite the promising intro.

Oh man if they just stuck to that 100%. Have the villain do their smug poo poo, camera pans and HOLY poo poo DOOMGUY IS BREAKING THE BULLETPROOF GLASS WITH HIS HEAD

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

exquisite tea posted:

Doom Eternal's story was much weaker than Doom 2016 but all the dumb lore didn't come out of nowhere, it was more or less a direct sequel to Doom 64.

I respect the angle of deciding to make the game a sequel to Doom 64 of all things... but it's a VERY weird angle. That would be like making the new Elder Scrolls a sequel to Battlespire.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

edit: it may be worth mentioning the novels in question were written by a woman named Karen Traviss.

what the gently caress

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

The reason there isn't a female doom slayer is because of Gamers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

I respect the angle of deciding to make the game a sequel to Doom 64 of all things... but it's a VERY weird angle. That would be like making the new Elder Scrolls a sequel to Battlespire.

Makes sense mind since Doom 64 is the one that actually followed up on the story and gave some sort of closure.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Gears of War Omegaverse

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Quoting myself but this is terrible. Clicking through to Molly gives us the story of a traumatized rape survivor:

dumb loving gears poo poo posted:

...Molly was a prisoner in the Jilane Birthing Creche, where she was raped by staff members and Gear volunteers...

...Molly was found by Sgt. Marcus Fenix, Cpl. Damon Baird, and Pvt. Augustus Cole. Their appearance frightened her, and Marcus asked her if she was okay, but she didn't answer, causing Baird to remark that she was retarded...

...he evacuated everyone out of the bunker through tunnels except for Molly. She was left behind and locked in the bunker with several Locust who survived the explosion, and was killed by them...

So again - what the gently caress

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know what film I just love when video games go out of their way to remind me of? Bone Tomahawk.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

The Gears of War Omegaverse

The "I'm JD, elite COG soldier... And a secret omega?!?" webtoon ran for 150 chapters and was very popular in korea.

Yeah it's super garbage. Probably a society technologically advanced enough that they could just have cloning programs, or whatever. (Were the locust not created because of one? I can't remember.)
But no, some writers insisted they had to have rapefarms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SubNat posted:

The "I'm JD, elite COG soldier... And a secret omega?!?" webtoon ran for 150 chapters and was very popular in korea.

Yeah it's super garbage. Probably a society technologically advanced enough that they could just have cloning programs, or whatever. (Were the locust not created because of one? I can't remember.)
But no, some writers insisted they had to have rapefarms.

Karen Traviss is notorious for some reaaal lovely licensed fiction that she somehow keeps getting hired to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Women in the Birthing Creche were given extra rations over a non-serving male,[3] and doctors gave young girls hormones at age ten so they could begin menstruation.[4] The women would be impregnated by artificial insemination or sexual intercourse. Ideally, the goal was to have the women become pregnant with genetically strong offspring, and the women in the farms were often partnered with Gears.

Who the gently caress at Epic Games signed off on this?! :stare: