Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Yinlock posted:

no, who on earth does

e: caring about things and thinking electoralism is a dead end are not mutually exclusive ideas, unless you've been successfully propagandized into thinking electoralism is all that matters

totally correct, please don't infer otherwise

the 'grillpill' is then a discussion about powerlessness, about what to do with all the emotion that comes from losing and realizing that you got crushed. that evil won. like you can get increasingly mad over tinier things, but it's cope for losing the stuff that was important

so the idea is if (and please note that if) you find your self spiraling into blind rage over the things that are happening, log the gently caress off. we're materialists here, you being enraged isn't good unless you have a productive conduit for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Paradoxish posted:

I know a guy who bought a car because he figured he'd never have to pay his student loans again :owned:

lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Squashy posted:

She's saying Brace Belden is a fascist now. I'm not one of those folks running around saying "OP OP OP" but Snyder's hysterics are problematic as gently caress

lol she's 100% an OP

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Doing something because you think Biden is going to give you money is some serious big brain stuff even with the media gaslighting us that he's going to be our kindly grandpa.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Stringent posted:

plz don't ever abandon the crucial work of being very angry online

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1363284806512050177?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Kaedric posted:

https://twitter.com/SvDeng/status/1328003122602663944

I know it's gauche to quote yourself but I had to go find out

it always feels good to be right about a poo poo lib

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

wheres my loving money joe

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

0 rows returned posted:

wheres my loving money joe

The man just tweeted that it's ONLY been a month!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

and still no covid relief lol

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

I know a guy who bought a car because he figured he'd never have to pay his student loans again :owned:

It seems like not enough people know that Joe Biden voted for not allowing student loans to be discharged in the first place, on top of preventing tens of thousands of families from not declaring bankruptcy right before the 2008 recession

spacemang_spliff posted:

it always feels good to be right about a poo poo lib

and the difference is literal, not an exaggeration, because they were saying that she delivered 800,000 votes, like the entire margin in Georgia and responsibility for every single person who decided to canvass

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Homora Gaykemi posted:

the real grillpill is estradiol valerate

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

galenanorth posted:

It seems like not enough people know that Joe Biden voted for not allowing student loans to be discharged in the first place, on top of preventing tens of thousands of families from not declaring bankruptcy right before the 2008 recession

yeah that's why I thought it was weird people thought he'd do any loan forgiveness. he's completely opposed to it because it's bad for his friends in finance. maybe because schumer was meekly pushing for it? I'm sure there was some aspect of "maybe we can push him left on this?" for people to justify themselves being guilted into voting for him

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

wasn't trying to tell anyhow how or what they should post, just saying that grillpill or w/e isn't an unreasonable reaction to the left getting so utterly trounced in the primary

these things take time. be patient, a decade ago nobody even knew what single payer was :)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Yinlock posted:

like all healthy and normal human beings, i repress all my anger into a tiny ball and let it fester, secure in the knowledge that it will never emerge at the worst possible time unlike those weirdos who just get mad at bad things

I scream at teenage drivers who cut me off, like a normal person

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Stringent posted:

as opposed to being very loud about how you watch every show and they all suck?

I can't believe people would talk about how democrats suck in the succ zone of all places

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah that's why I thought it was weird people thought he'd do any loan forgiveness. he's completely opposed to it because it's bad for his friends in finance. maybe because schumer was meekly pushing for it? I'm sure there was some aspect of "maybe we can push him left on this?" for people to justify themselves being guilted into voting for him

When Sanders gave up during the primary the Biden twitter account said they were going to respect his voters and offer some student debt relief but lol if you think Biden gives a poo poo what his twitter account says or is not notoriously dishonest.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

papa horny michael posted:

The House can pass bills with a simple majority of 218 votes in a full chamber. Democrats now hold 222 seats. However, the number will temporarily drop to 219 when three Democrats — Cedric Richmond of Louisiana, Marcia Fudge of Ohio and Deb Haaland of New Mexico — join Biden's administration.

cool now the squad can effectively dictate the House agenda

oh..whats that you say?

oh ok well nevermind

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Eggplant Squire posted:

When Sanders gave up during the primary the Biden twitter account said they were going to respect his voters and offer some student debt relief but lol if you think Biden gives a poo poo what his twitter account says or is not notoriously dishonest.

lmao holy poo poo really?

so that's where the 10k for some students who hold private loans (which is like 4% of borrowers) comes from

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Remember when the Biden campaign made a promise about universal childcare or something and now no one has mentioned it in probably over a year, good times.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Remember when the Biden campaign made a promise about universal childcare or something and now no one has mentioned it in probably over a year, good times.

Did they? All I remember is Kamala bullshitting an audience once about it and spending the rest of the campaign walking it back because the donors melted down.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

totally correct, please don't infer otherwise

the 'grillpill' is then a discussion about powerlessness, about what to do with all the emotion that comes from losing and realizing that you got crushed. that evil won. like you can get increasingly mad over tinier things, but it's cope for losing the stuff that was important

so the idea is if (and please note that if) you find your self spiraling into blind rage over the things that are happening, log the gently caress off. we're materialists here, you being enraged isn't good unless you have a productive conduit for it

logging off and doing other stuff is fine yeah, no argument there. I just take issue with the whole smug ironic laid-back thing, as if feeling nothing is somehow superior to losing your mind

my eyeballs aren't spurting blood from anger, but I just can't write off the titanic amount of needless suffering as "well nothing i can do"

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Feb 21, 2021

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Clinton and Biden attained political office at 31 and 27.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

did biden cure cancer yet

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

also biden specifically has spent his entire career fighting "handouts", and has said that he feels no sympathy for the young. why anyone thought he would do anything for students is baffling

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yinlock posted:

also biden specifically has spent his entire career fighting "handouts", and has said that he feels no sympathy for the young. why anyone thought he would do anything for students is baffling

It's the sort of thing a legitimate primary opponent would have attacked him on but for some reason Sanders did not.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Orb Crabmelt posted:

lol Remember when Kamala introduced an M4A bill

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Look you can't make judgments based on things a person did before this very, absolute second in time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol Remember when Kamala introduced an M4A bill

Or said we should be getting $2000 a month?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Eggplant Squire posted:

It's the sort of thing a legitimate primary opponent would have attacked him on but for some reason Sanders did not.

Cucknard Blunders

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

one of the best ways to piss off a bidenbro/StillWithHer type is to point out to them that Bernie lost the primary because he was too loving nice to draw a distinction between himself and Biden

it makes them indescribably angry, and it's 100% true

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

one of the best ways to piss off a bidenbro/StillWithHer type is to point out to them that Bernie lost the primary because he was too loving nice to draw a distinction between himself and Biden

Yeah when you read the takes from voters it came down to the idea that Biden was electable since it's what they heard from every news outlet and getting rid of Trump was priority number one, and policy wise they were mostly the same on stuff they were concerned with like health care and protecting safety net programs. Part of that is the fault of the media for inventing a fake persona for Biden to wear while he was largely off camera but Sanders deciding that for whatever reason he was not going to fight his opponents in a primary was a huge mistake if he was actually trying to win (which in the aftermath I am convinced he was not).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eggplant Squire posted:

Sanders' main problem was that he saw fellow politicians as friends rather than bitter enemies, see also his good friend John McCain

loquacius posted:

seriously, Biden was an almost comically easy opponent. I would've just brought up his history of awful poo poo all the time, it's not like there's a shortage of it

hell Harris actually loving did this and it devastated Biden for a while, but we know how that turned out

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Expanding the amount of cages you can put kids in is progressive

https://twitter.com/AHomayouniVA/status/1363363978202726400?s=20

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Lol they haven't even done a single of of those progressive things before the goalposts can even be moved unless I missed the $1400 check or some statement on ICE.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Eggplant Squire posted:

Or said we should be getting $2000 a month?

the child concentration camps are still open but IDK if he ever said he'd close them

oh yeah he did say he was going to fix deportation rules and he just made them what they were when Obama was in office

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Eggplant Squire posted:

Lol they haven't even done a single of of those progressive things before the goalposts can even be moved unless I missed the $1400 check or some statement on ICE.

they're upset that a leftist is asking for something

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

they still think that Bernie lost because everybody hated how mean he was being to Dem leadership by actually standing for things just to make them look bad, the narrative that he lost because he is was in fact too nice rocks their entire worldview

and it's loving true

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

redkahina! there's a crackpot i haven't heard about in awhile. did she post on LF?

something about rich people who fell into money and live in manhattan turning toward what looks like ostensibly red, ultra-left politics but then over time turn into cranks in a funhouse hall of madness... hmm...

I'm late to this but after spending all afternoon posting about how AOC is a sheep-dog neofacist her next tweet was "We should have more proper restaurants that don't play music in NYC". It's just such obvious bullshit that I wish she just got into opiates or whatever else rich New york women do to pass their time of not working.

ZenMasterBullshit has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Chris James 2 posted:

With regard to the minimum wage, it's not moving goalposts. It's keeping the goalposts from moving backward due to inflation, or more specifically housing costs which rise faster than inflation. I need to look up what the equivalent of $15 or $20 is in terms of the percentile of the cost of living among working adults, and possibly other metrics like major metropolitan area, because it seems like it should be calculated backward from a living wage, not a round number. I don't know whether Daou was ever calling for $2k checks before calling for $3k checks, but the Twitter OP is probably confusing him with all the other leftists as if there's this big blob instead of individuals.

Eggplant Squire posted:

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Feb 21, 2021