Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
For those who don't know the difference between timber framing and conventional stick framing here is a video:

https://youtu.be/2gWxRVqNI3M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Elviscat posted:

Ry, don't end up like this.

Which of the two parties are you worried about him becoming?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oil sump would go dry.

Nah, the oil would start draining into the cylinders and hydrolock the engine, breaking a conrod or something.

Thanks for the video Ry.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Elviscat posted:

Ry, don't end up like this.

I actually read the article to this. Who has a back door going below the outhouse? I question that decision.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

I actually read the article to this. Who has a back door going below the outhouse? I question that decision.

Probably so it can be pumped out, rather than having to relocate the shitter every few years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Downstairs in the Outhouse, by Seymour Butts

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

Downstairs in the Outhouse, by Seymour Butts

Exactly what I was thinking lol.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Probably so it can be pumped out, rather than having to relocate the shitter every few years.

Usually you just pump it out the poo poo hole. No need to climb into the cesspool below to pump it out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rytheric posted:

No one can convince me these things are quiet. They were our go to for concrete coring for a while. They are not quiet.

I was without power for days and the last night after I almost got carbon monoxide poisoning/death a neighbor let me borrow this exact model. I can’t express how kind that was but deal Lord these things are loud AF. I have a bunch of cara and any of them parked against my fro t door would have been 10 times quieter than this 10 feet away, and it burned an entire tank of gas in 2.5 hours running a heater (poorly). Would not recommend and I have a Honda lawnmower I love and many Honda vehicles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My parents have a cottage and it has an outhouse, but it's a modern one and it's completely enclosed and it's designed so all the water evaporates through a tall venting pipe and the poop is turned into soil basically. A lot less smelly than a regular outhouse too.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
The last outhouse I took a poo poo in was located on a great vantage point but I don't think it was up to code?

I dunno what kind of vista you'll get at whichever property you buy, but being able to poop with a wide open view of nature is pretty sweet.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Point it right at the neighbor’s house.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Big thanks to whoever bought the ads for this thread. It's beautiful.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Rytheric posted:

The Americana thread taught me that in the snowy northern wastes, two story outhouses are popular. You poop upstairs in winter when the snow gets high enough.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Weka posted:

The Americana thread taught me that in the snowy northern wastes, two story outhouses are popular. You poop upstairs in winter when the snow gets high enough.

Wait, so you poop down stairs in summer then poop onto the first story pooper from the second story in the winter. That would be a lovely mess in the spring to clean up if you use the first story pooper again. Or is it just two stories all together which again excludes the need for an bottom door.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Kiavahr posted:

The last outhouse I took a poo poo in was located on a great vantage point but I don't think it was up to code?

I dunno what kind of vista you'll get at whichever property you buy, but being able to poop with a wide open view of nature is pretty sweet.

It actually has a decent view. Unless that's a composting outhouse then no it's not up to code.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The shitholes are offset

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

everdave posted:

I was without power for days and the last night after I almost got carbon monoxide poisoning/death a neighbor let me borrow this exact model. I can’t express how kind that was but deal Lord these things are loud AF. I have a bunch of cara and any of them parked against my fro t door would have been 10 times quieter than this 10 feet away, and it burned an entire tank of gas in 2.5 hours running a heater (poorly). Would not recommend and I have a Honda lawnmower I love and many Honda vehicles.

Thank you! Someone was like its only 70-80dB and I had to refrain from asking if they were deaf. There is no way those are silent unless you simply can't hear. If I can't hear the birds chirping and the wind blowing through the trees it's too loud.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

corgski posted:

The shitholes are offset

The bear came in through the back door and was able to look up the toilet. I dont see a reason to have an offset pooper. Why not just keep it two story and just have stairs going up that become less stairs to climb as it snows? I don't see an advantage to the down stairs pooper but many disadvantages. As one video I shared pointed out, what if the pee shield on the second floor fails. That's the most important part.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

My parents have a cottage and it has an outhouse, but it's a modern one and it's completely enclosed and it's designed so all the water evaporates through a tall venting pipe and the poop is turned into soil basically. A lot less smelly than a regular outhouse too.

That's a composting toilet

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hey Ry, what's your plan for getting a timber framed building designed and produced?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Hey Ry, what's your plan for getting a timber framed building designed and produced?

So im building it directly from this book I have called how to timberframe. It has all the blueprints, timber sizes, and loads in it. As far as the Timbers themselves. I'm just going to send the cut list to a few mills around here the same way I got model kit and see which one will do it and for how much.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm really interested to find out how economically viable that idea turns out to be.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

I'm really interested to find out how economically viable that idea turns out to be.

Define economically viable.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So im building it directly from this book I have called how to timberframe. It has all the blueprints, timber sizes, and loads in it. As far as the Timbers themselves. I'm just going to send the cut list to a few mills around here the same way I got model kit and see which one will do it and for how much.

Are you intending to use pinned tenons and the like? All the timber framing I've seen uses rather complicated joinery and involves a lot of hand work.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Define economically viable.

% price difference over a comparable stick-framed structure of the same size.

I'm building my next house, and I'm interested in timber framing, but not for sat 50% more than a nice stick built in material.

E: that's another thing I'm interested in, do you plan to do the joints? Because that's either CNC or master craftsman poo poo.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 21, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you have the frame figured out, are you going with SIPS for the walls? One of the benefits of a timber frame is the use of SIPS and having really good potential to minimize ACH50, in your case I'd expect as low as 0.5. You can obviously pair SIPS with something like ZIP R sheathing for absolutely insane insulation values exceeding 30. You could definitely get passive house rating, which I would recommend if it's financially in your reach. Imagine being able to heat Murderhaus with just your body heat and being able to cool your entire house with a small window AC, and then being able to stay that way for days if you lose power. That's what we're talking about here.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 21, 2021

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

um excuse me posted:

Sounds like you have the frame figured out, are you going with SIPS for the walls? One of the benefits of a timber frame is the use of SIPS and having really good potential to minimize ACH50, in your case I'd expect as low as 0.5. You can obviously pair SIPS with something like ZIP R sheathing for absolutely insane insulation values exceeding 30. You could definitely get passive house rating, which I would recommend if it's financially in your reach. Imagine being able to heat Murderhaus with just your body heat and being able to cool your entire house with a small window AC, and then being able to stay that way for days if you lose power. That's what we're talking about here.

But would it be bear proof?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SIPS is two layers of 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood sandwiching ridgid foam. You can build an entire house with it sans floor, structurally. ZIP-R is a rigid foam backed with a plastic-y layer that acts as the houses control layers. Put wood siding on top of that and supported by timber and that poo poo is hurricane proof.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 21, 2021

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

um excuse me posted:

All I know is that you should stain and varnish/lacquer separately. Don't use a combination stain. I tried it once and had to sand back the polyurethane because it finished lumpy.

yeah dont do this

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

% price difference over a comparable stick-framed structure of the same size.

I'm building my next house, and I'm interested in timber framing, but not for sat 50% more than a nice stick built in material.

E: that's another thing I'm interested in, do you plan to do the joints? Because that's either CNC or master craftsman poo poo.

I dont really care about the price difference if there is one. But the book I have says it's about the same because of the insulation also needs frame or is offset by sips.

I will be doing the joints myself. You can take a class at with the people in the youtube video I shared and learn how to do it in a week. I have a wood working table that I did fake tenons with chisels. All the joints I need to do are detailed in the book I have then I have a supplementary book that reference more I can add to my reporteire.

Deteriorata posted:

Are you intending to use pinned tenons and the like? All the timber framing I've seen uses rather complicated joinery and involves a lot of hand work.

Yes. I will be using pins unless the county says otherwise.

um excuse me posted:

Sounds like you have the frame figured out, are you going with SIPS for the walls?

I was going to do the insulation my self via the diagram below

The down side of using sips is that you essentially need a crane to install it. However, I do like the idea of heating with body heat. That was some of the idea with why my boxtruck bedroom is so small. With 150 watts (one body plus two 50w electric blankets) can heat it 15 degrees above ambient. I really need a crypt bedroom to maximize it. Once I get my doors installed and the cieling and floor done it should only take 800-1000w to heat it. If getting it to r-30 and do as you say for cheap I would be inclined to go that route. I hate drywall though, so let that be known.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I will be doing the joints myself. You can take a class at with the people in the youtube video I shared and learn how to do it in a week.

Bada bing bada boom! So easy.

Rytheric posted:

The down side of using sips is that you essentially need a crane to install it.

Oh good thing you're getting your "excavator certification" then.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Had a date tonight. It was lovely. We talked for three hours and got along well. She is also tiny curious is hoping to become nomadic with an suv-travel trailer set up. I took her out for some gourmet milkshakes and tater tots. Also had take home vege burgers.

I accidently set up a $500 date in the immediate future though. Was going to take her on a pedicure date since she is on her feet all day for work and accidently referred to it as a spa date. So now I have to book us a spa... which is like $200 a person and of course I have to leave a 25% tip for anyone forced to rub my body down with oil. this was going to be our first date but everyone was booked. She was like, are you trying to have an awesome first date? Of course I want it to be awesome.

She asked when our second date was so I think she like me. That was the impression I got.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 22, 2021

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Rytheric posted:

She is also tiny curious

Thread keeps delivering

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

I was going to do the insulation my self via the diagram below

You need more insulation.

The R13 value isn't arbitrary. It's the rated value of a 2x4 insulated cavity. Note rated cavity doesn't include the thermal bridge from the 2x4 itself so the effective value is actually lower. So in order to get an R20 value you'd need an exterior isulation to supplement the wall insulation. That or make the wall THICC (R20 is the 2x6 insulated value). I'd personally chase R25 myself, but I'm an insulation pervert.

Also note foam board is a pain in the rear end to run electrical though. SIPS has the chases already installed.

Are you building on a slab? I've seen graded and compacted engineered (read: hard dirt) surfaces but I'm wary about long term stability. Are you insulating your slab? You should consider that as well since the entire earth is a pretty big heat sink.

Eh gently caress it, what about your ceiling? Attics or SIPS? A cathedral ceiling with maybe some transoms or a dormer may make the layout seem less claustrophobic and better lit. Unless Murderhaus isn't just a name and you want a single naked bulb hanging from a wire.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 22, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Bought the French doors today and the nuts I needed to bolt the GroverTruk seats down so they don't fling backwards when I accelerate, so it should pass safety inspection now.

I still need to get some sort of paint or stain or something to make the door weather resist. Once I get that, the hardware, and things for the wood and cieling and then the spa I will probably be tapped out financially for this month. But I will have plenty to work on.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

door pics?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rytheric posted:

I still need to get some sort of paint or stain or something to make the door weather resist.

The stain won’t do much on its own, you’ll need a good exterior polyurethane. Like someone else said, don’t buy the stain/poly combo.

If you paint them, buy a good primer like 123 or Kilz, and exterior paint.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

The down side of using sips is that you essentially need a crane to install it.
Nah, I've built a ranch with sips before and each panel needed like 3 guys. They're not all that heavy. To me, the best part is that all the fiddly work is done on the ground, making sure you have a level and square footer. After that, the sips just go up like nothing. A crew of handy amateurs got the exterior walls up in a day.

We did use a tall fork loader to get the trusses on top of the walls when it was time to do the roof.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

taqueso posted:

door pics?

I have to find my phone that doesn't have a broken camera. I will post when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Snowy posted:

The stain won’t do much on its own, you’ll need a good exterior polyurethane. Like someone else said, don’t buy the stain/poly combo.

If you paint them, buy a good primer like 123 or Kilz, and exterior paint.

Do I need paint over the poly? I want to still see the wood.