Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Anyone who listened to me wouldn't be disappointed by how poo poo Smithers has been. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
William will either go by George or the whole thing with have collapsed and been sold to Trump by then (Donald III & I?)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

I have to admit "turn Isle of Man into a subterranean roundabout" is ballsy stuff even for our hypernormalised age.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1363447724285263874?s=19

i made what i thought was a ridiculous joke about connecting blackpool and ardglass the other day

i didn't even think of underground roundabouts

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

When it fails to produce enough power he launches the "poo poo for britain" campaign urging people to use the bathroom more often.

This is the plot of an awesome Korean anime called Aachi and Ssipak and everyone should watch it.

https://twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime/status/1363467810811305984?s=19

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 21, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/LeanneWood/status/1363565505722908674?s=19

Lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

It is actually shocking just how poo poo Keir has turned out. I knew he would be bad in terms of direction he’d take the party, but I didn’t actually think he’d alienate the broader electorate quite as much as he has in his first year in post (with a largely docile press, might I add).

Have any leaders of the (major) political parties actually resigned or lost leadership challenges before leading their party through at least one general election? Short of a truly disqualifying scandal, it doesn’t feel like anything - like bad local election results - might actually compel Starmer to stand down before 2024, right?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the least of the problems, by definition a bridge can, you know, bridge that sort of thing. The regular >70mph winds, whiteout fogs, and more tornadoes than a Missouri trailer park would make using it slightly more thrilling than trying to walk through the bombs.

I like that at least a couple of basic facts - the big trench full of explosives and the likelihood of Scotland leaving the Union immediately the thing was finished - seem to have penetrated his brain, and by the fourth iteration he might have realised the utter loving stupidity of making it a car tunnel rather than a train one. Progress and growth are good things!

I meant a tunnel bridge not a bridge bridge

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It just rules that everyone who was making waves about how any other leader would be 20 points ahead, how Corbyn keeps making unforced errors and how they would do things differently that this is what they meant. This is the strategy they would employ. And even with a compliant press, a disaster of a tory government and over 120,000 dead this is as good as they can do.

Lol.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gonzo McFee posted:

It just rules that everyone who was making waves about how any other leader would be 20 points ahead, how Corbyn keeps making unforced errors and how they would do things differently that this is what they meant. This is the strategy they would employ. And even with a compliant press, a disaster of a tory government and over 120,000 dead this is as good as they can do.

Lol.

"We're still dealing with the toxic legacy of the Corbyn leadership"

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Of course spending all that money on building out massive public transport across the country (including finally fixing the last-mile problem for rail freight) would have a thousand times the multiplier effect on the money spent but that would make Jeremy Clarkson frown and we can't have that.

Deliveroo have pretty roundly shown that the last mile is no longer a problem, haven't they? If only there was a rail based parcel service they could dovetail with...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_Parcels

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On a different note, is it weird to imagine how fun it would be if that Oprah interview Harry/Megan did includes chat about William's alleged affair a couple of years back?

I don't personally give a poo poo about the royal family, but the schadenfreude could be delicious.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I read that in my head with her accent and it basically made my day.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

kingturnip posted:

On a different note, is it weird to imagine how fun it would be if that Oprah interview Harry/Megan did includes chat about William's alleged affair a couple of years back?

I don't personally give a poo poo about the royal family, but the schadenfreude could be delicious.

queen would have them whacked first imo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Everything Starmer's doing makes sense once you hypothesize that he's completely under the influence of the Labour right. Then the spiteful, counter-productive attacks on the Left are suddenly understandable, as is his habit of formulating every announcement and policy decision to appeal primarily to a small group of centrist columnists.

The Labour right are pulling his strings and the Labour right are a bunch of petty, blinkered dipshits.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1363583228750225411?s=20

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm sure the fabulous dual lane roads of rural Ards will be able to easily manage the influx of travelers to Portavogie.

Maybe they'll splash out and add two extra lanes

I was going to say, likewise the conveniently located and well connected Stanraer. I guess it's easier to get to from Glasgow than the shorter crossing to Ireland from the Lorn Peninsula, but the A77 isn't exactly ideal as a major freight route.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Deliveroo have pretty roundly shown that the last mile is no longer a problem, haven't they? If only there was a rail based parcel service they could dovetail with...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_Parcels

Naturally, the private sector has 'innovated' by reinventing an idea from a former nationalised industry and doing it in a more fragmented, less useful and more expensive way. And without the slightly communism-evoking name and logo, of course.

https://www.intercityrailfreight.com/

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Everything Starmer's doing makes sense once you hypothesize that he's completely under the influence of the Labour right. Then the spiteful, counter-productive attacks on the Left are suddenly understandable, as is his habit of formulating every announcement and policy decision to appeal primarily to a small group of centrist columnists.

The Labour right are pulling his strings and the Labour right are a bunch of petty, blinkered dipshits.
This is sort of why I wasn't particularly annoyed by Starmer becoming leader. Fine, they won, and they gloated in the way that they do, but theres no evidence over the past decade to suggest that they're astute political operators. Starmer is their dream candidate, they've been swooning over him for over a decade, and they had five years out of power and a single year in charge to come up with some vision or some plan that they were so deeply passionate about that it justified all of the sacrifices they've made...and they've got gently caress all.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1363532383451029504?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1363532945265479683?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1363533998983688194?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1363540881970778112?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1363541041173962756?s=19

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the upcoming shellacking in the locals is undoubtedly going to be blamed on Corbyn

the question is whether the media are going to accept that excuse and move on or not, and considering they've already started to put the boot in I'm not so sure that Keith's leadership is long for this world

he might outlast Phil but not Brenda IMO

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Gorn Myson posted:

This is sort of why I wasn't particularly annoyed by Starmer becoming leader. Fine, they won, and they gloated in the way that they do, but theres no evidence over the past decade to suggest that they're astute political operators. Starmer is their dream candidate, they've been swooning over him for over a decade, and they had five years out of power and a single year in charge to come up with some vision or some plan that they were so deeply passionate about that it justified all of the sacrifices they've made...and they've got gently caress all.

It's hard to be OK with it given all the gaslighting going on though. Everything up to this point has been blamed on the left (even accepting the policy demands of the right on Brexit is spun as Corbyn Bad), and the right are already gearing up for the local elections, to blame leftist voters for choosing to vote for other parties that offer the policies they want. It's always up to the left to make sure they appeal to the centre, but once the centrists are in power it's the duty of the left to vote blindly for them, while they chase after Tory voters because "they count double!".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The problem is with all this... So what?

Johnson was found in high court or whatever the gently caress to have acted unlawfully in proroguing parliament (was it?) and a million other things and no one cares.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Scikar posted:

It's hard to be OK with it given all the gaslighting going on though. Everything up to this point has been blamed on the left (even accepting the policy demands of the right on Brexit is spun as Corbyn Bad), and the right are already gearing up for the local elections, to blame leftist voters for choosing to vote for other parties that offer the policies they want. It's always up to the left to make sure they appeal to the centre, but once the centrists are in power it's the duty of the left to vote blindly for them, while they chase after Tory voters because "they count double!".
Ah just let them do it. They were always going to blame the left/Corbyn for everything while simultaneously demanding that they volunteer and vote for them. I don't have any allegiance to the Labour Party, or even Corbyn, but I'm willing to put the work in for a genuine leftist who has a bright vision of the future, and Starmer's Labour Party definitely doesn't have that, and hes surrounded by people that fought tooth and nail against someone who did.

So to me, when someone tries to gaslight or shame me into voting for Labour under those circumstances, its feels so absurd that all I can do is laugh and tell them to gently caress off.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Johnson was found in high court or whatever the gently caress to have acted unlawfully in proroguing parliament (was it?) and a million other things and no one cares.

And Matt Hancock has only recently been found to have done a Widdle Fucko Boingo with COVID contracts. A bunch of Twitter melts get to recharge their orgone batteries by pretending this is a magnificent Toby Ziegler-style dunk on the Tories and then everything carries on as before

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Endjinneer posted:

CoD single player gameplay reminds me of the way a friend described Halo 4- "press X to jizz on Cortana's tits".
There are days when you want to spend an afternoon murderising your way through swathes of identical enemies, sure, but it gets a bit tedious.

Oh Cortana, could never be called a challenging wank by any stretch of the imagination back in the day. :circlefap:

I only played CoD/Battlefield when it was set during WW2 and single player only.

Nowadays it's Path of Exile along with some Borderlands 2 for catharsis. :stoked:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's like cleverer people than me have said: Starmer's ditched ideology and is running on a pure platform of being more competent than the Tories. This kinda worked for a bit but now the Tories are visibly getting ahead with the vaccine rollout and are nicking the more popular bits of Corbyn's 2019 manifesto, Labour are left with absolutely nowhere to go.

And yeah, at this point, I'm perfectly happy to sit back, fold my arms and watch Starmer and the Labour right faceplant in the grave they've dug for themselves (to mix metaphors slightly).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The people involved in running those targeted smear campaigns don't have the same sort of protection that a Health Secretary or Prime Minister do, though.
If electoral offences were committed, the people responsible would presumably be on the hook for fines at the very least. It won't be anything major, but it's something and if it can be linked to Boris it provides ammunition to whoever steps into Keith's shoes when he's politically defenestrated.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The most recent Chapo had a screed about how there's no desire for accountability in right or centre-right politics because they're just two slightly different methodologies of assisting capital, and so the only expectation of your elected representative is to be "on your team" and own the people you don't like. And if the people you don't like include both the Tories and loony lefty Joebbels Crobnoy, then it's easy to see the appeal of a sensible tutting module like Keith

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Halisnacks posted:

Have any leaders of the (major) political parties actually resigned or lost leadership challenges before leading their party through at least one general election? Short of a truly disqualifying scandal, it doesn’t feel like anything - like bad local election results - might actually compel Starmer to stand down before 2024, right?

Iain Duncan Smith is the example that springs to mind. Leader of the Conservatives from September 2001 to November 2003.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1363616992385765377

No opposition (except from unions who said what the hell) from Smithers so schools fully open on March 8th. First time in a while that Boris hasn't followed Sturgeons lead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
NEW: Management to announce the following shop floor changes tomorrow.

March 8th:

🚸 *ALL* safety guards replaced with a spinning meat cleaver called 'the thumb executioner' (which will infuriate unions)
☕️ Coffees/picnics one-to-one outdoors in public areas

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Gorn Myson posted:

Ah just let them do it. They were always going to blame the left/Corbyn for everything while simultaneously demanding that they volunteer and vote for them. I don't have any allegiance to the Labour Party, or even Corbyn, but I'm willing to put the work in for a genuine leftist who has a bright vision of the future, and Starmer's Labour Party definitely doesn't have that, and hes surrounded by people that fought tooth and nail against someone who did.

So to me, when someone tries to gaslight or shame me into voting for Labour under those circumstances, its feels so absurd that all I can do is laugh and tell them to gently caress off.

Oh I agree, there's no way I would vote for Starmer's Labour on the current path, and I won't feel bad about it. It's just a shame because if Starmer just kept on the Corbyn policies that he promised to, a) he'd probably poll better because they are actually popular with the public, and b) I would have a reason to vote for him, so I could feel a bit optimistic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm sure this roadmap to normalcy will definitely happen and won't fall apart within three months like the last two did.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
are picnics really that big of a deal for most people

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1363616992385765377

No opposition (except from unions who said what the hell) from Smithers so schools fully open on March 8th. First time in a while that Boris hasn't followed Sturgeons lead.

I can see why people wanted to call the police, nothing but replies from people who intend to kill hundreds with no remorse.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

crispix posted:

Just the Derbyshire police really.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

crispix posted:

In March, no less. Imagining people in winter coats huddled on a muddy picnic blanket, eating sandwiches

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

Halisnacks posted:

It is actually shocking just how poo poo Keir has turned out. I knew he would be bad in terms of direction he’d take the party, but I didn’t actually think he’d alienate the broader electorate quite as much as he has in his first year in post (with a largely docile press, might I add).

Remember when May was wheeled out to take the flak for a shitshow caused mostly by infighting in her own party? Perhaps once everyone's sick of this guy, we can get in a fresh face, and everyone will forget what the problem was that resulted in his election in the first place.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well the announcement of the R rate being 1.1 is now scheduled for the end of March so good luck everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's extremely promising data on the Pfizer vaccine coming out of Israel on both one and two shot and specifically against the UK variants, which is good news, but my brain is so internet poisoned I'm just wondering how the smooth brain foundation will square it as both a Jewish plot to sterilize the world and also being hoarded by Zionists at everyone else's expense.

I'm sure they will, I believe in them.