Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are there any visual signs or tricks to locating swamp? Do they spawn next to Black Forest? Spent the last few days sailing in every direction to not find the biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Harlock posted:

Are there any visual signs or tricks to locating swamp? Do they spawn next to Black Forest? Spent the last few days sailing in every direction to not find the biome.

If you're too far away for trees to spawn they will usually look like a series of small little plots of land. If you are close enough for trees to spawn the trees are large and dead looking.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Commoners posted:

I found this hidden gem on the steam community page and laughed my rear end off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgmt0q7UKw

Please add to OP

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Harlock posted:

I'm not sure if it's exactly how it works, but mine are all shoreline. I stumbled on the first small one, but reviewing my map I can see the brown bits peeking out a hair in several spots where I just must have missed them in the rain while sailing around. Thankfully they were real swamp and not the tiny useless patch I found at first.

Now, my mistake was not realizing the abandoned village I took over for portal and smelter use by my crypt area was in fact like 30 feet from a plains biome line. V awkward return to base loaded with scrap.

Is the merchants head light worth taking up the helmet slot? I think I have my enough for the belt, but I thought I might get that instead if I was just shy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm feeling like a game with no brightness slider should really have a shorter night cycle. Spending half the game unable to see poo poo gets irritating.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Any advice on the best silver tier items to start aside from the bow? I'm thinking its time to finally replace my troll hide armor with the wolf stuff. The silver sword is really tempting too, though I have no current skill in swords.

Weirdly enough at the moment I have easier access to silver than I do iron to my main base so I might just skip iron until the silver runs out.

If your mountain biome has even a couple of silver veins you're going to have more than you know what to do with. You should be pulling 50-60 out of each one if you're mining it thoroughly

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

xzzy posted:

I'm feeling like a game with no brightness slider should really have a shorter night cycle. Spending half the game unable to see poo poo gets irritating.

why not crawl in your bed and sleep through it

multiplayer? why not have everyone crawl in their beds, and sleep through it

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Jinnigan posted:

why not crawl in your bed and sleep through it

multiplayer? why not have everyone crawl in their beds, and sleep through it

I feel extremely dumb right now, thank you for this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because in multiplayer people are spread to the four winds and coordinating a bed time is impossible.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Make a torch. It's not much, but it's enough to get around.

Also, night time in the mountains and on the plains is actually not too bad light-wise (the night mobs on the other hand....)

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
this game rules. been playing solo and just beat the first boss. was trying to build an actual house near the black forest to use a base and got swarmed by greydwarfs after the ground shaking thing. will they gently caress my house up if I dont have fences? also exploring the crypts is tough with the torch and a weapon instead of a shield, got hosed up by some skeletons reaaaal good a few times - still have to go back to get my corpse. any tips for crypt spelunking? should probably keep a set of armor and weapons at my house for corpse runs now that i think of it... would love to play with some goons tho! i'm inxdisgust on steam if anyone wants to hang out and do viking poo poo with someone who hasnt found the second boss yet.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Just mine the barnacles first, they have a tendency to prevent building for some reason.

I didn't bring a pickaxe so I couldn't do this, I ended up just finding a little spot of Black Forest not far away on a different island and ferrying across. Will remember this for the future, but definitely wish that the game gave you a tooltip or something about barnacles blocking building.

Edit: Also thanks for the quick answer! :)

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 21, 2021

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

iirc it gives you some info about barnacle terrain after you mine a few of them

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Iron Lung posted:

this game rules. been playing solo and just beat the first boss. was trying to build an actual house near the black forest to use a base and got swarmed by greydwarfs after the ground shaking thing. will they gently caress my house up if I dont have fences? also exploring the crypts is tough with the torch and a weapon instead of a shield, got hosed up by some skeletons reaaaal good a few times - still have to go back to get my corpse. any tips for crypt spelunking? should probably keep a set of armor and weapons at my house for corpse runs now that i think of it... would love to play with some goons tho! i'm inxdisgust on steam if anyone wants to hang out and do viking poo poo with someone who hasnt found the second boss yet.

Build the huge 2h hammer and button mash the poo poo out of them :getin:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, so I'm hyping myself up to kill Bonemass and decided to explore the whole island it's on just in case I missed something.

Swamp turned it meadows, I'm very low on supplies and my boat is on the opposite end of the island.

I see some structures ahead, much more than they dilapidated huts you normally find. Maybe it's a new thing I haven't heard about?

OH gently caress ZOMBIE INVASION

I cleared about half of them and died running away.

Eventually I get my stuff back and win the day but as soon as I get home my base gets attacked by trolls for the first time. Mercifully I have a huge trench carved out so dealing with them was easy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Find the trader and get the circlet for light, I almost never take the thing off now.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Inzombiac posted:

Alright, so I'm hyping myself up to kill Bonemass and decided to explore the whole island it's on just in case I missed something.

Swamp turned it meadows, I'm very low on supplies and my boat is on the opposite end of the island.

I see some structures ahead, much more than they dilapidated huts you normally find. Maybe it's a new thing I haven't heard about?

OH gently caress ZOMBIE INVASION

I cleared about half of them and died running away.

Eventually I get my stuff back and win the day but as soon as I get home my base gets attacked by trolls for the first time. Mercifully I have a huge trench carved out so dealing with them was easy.

how deep is that trench? i've got one that's like.. 1 square wide, 3 squares deep. didn't seem to help

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Commoners posted:

I found this hidden gem on the steam community page and laughed my rear end off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgmt0q7UKw

LMAO

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Man, the Plains are kinda hosed if you're trying to solo. Fulling Villages contain like 15 guys that tend you aggro on you all at once.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

Man, the Plains are kinda hosed if you're trying to solo. Fulling Villages contain like 15 guys that tend you aggro on you all at once.

Is there anything worth it in those? I play solo too and I pass them all the time as they dont seem worth it.

I plugged one of the big berserker guys from like a quarter mile away though. Use poison arrows and aim high theyre big easy targets and run straight at you. Dropped like 16 bucks and thats it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Turns out this game has healing and stamina potions I probably should've been using to beat the third boss.

This feels like one of those, "So trivial nobody mentioned it", things.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mnoba posted:

very nice!

Thanks!

We got a really great seed where the sea our main capital is on has 2 rivers that lead into it from other seas so we are able to build these awesome entrances that you almost have to go through to get to the capital from any body of water.

Sailing through these bridges into the rivers and to our capital after a long adventure is a joy Ill never tire of.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jinnigan posted:

how deep is that trench? i've got one that's like.. 1 square wide, 3 squares deep. didn't seem to help

1-2 squares wide and about 5 deep.

The two entrances are littered with spike traps as well.

I think the trick is to hit them with arrows right away and then train them away from camp. Doesn't matter how many are coming after you so long as you keep moving and shooting. Their one ranged attack has terrible accuracy and range.
Plus you can parry all their attacks.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

sure okay posted:

Is there anything worth it in those? I play solo too and I pass them all the time as they dont seem worth it.

I plugged one of the big berserker guys from like a quarter mile away though. Use poison arrows and aim high theyre big easy targets and run straight at you. Dropped like 16 bucks and thats it.

Yeah, they're the only source of flax which makes linen thread, a component of the highest tier of armour. They're also the most reliable place where you can find the items you need to summon the 5th boss

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Definitely grow the flax and barley you nab, you get 2 plants per harvest so definitely plant like 60 to 75% of what you harvest until you're satisfied

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Iron Lung posted:

also exploring the crypts is tough with the torch and a weapon instead of a shield, got hosed up by some skeletons reaaaal good a few times - still have to go back to get my corpse. any tips for crypt spelunking?

You can equip the torch and shield and beat the skeletons with the torch :v:

I don't know if its my graphics settings, which are mostly high, but I felt like the torch wasn't worth it in crypts. The effects didn't help me keep track of enemies, everything still felt chaotic, and with the narrow twisting hallways it didn't help me navigate much either. I got in the habit of doing them in the dark, maybe I've missed some pearls and whatnot but many of the rooms with the best loot already have torches.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do cripts respawn?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

ChristsDickWorship posted:

You can equip the torch and shield and beat the skeletons with the torch :v:

I don't know if its my graphics settings, which are mostly high, but I felt like the torch wasn't worth it in crypts. The effects didn't help me keep track of enemies, everything still felt chaotic, and with the narrow twisting hallways it didn't help me navigate much either. I got in the habit of doing them in the dark, maybe I've missed some pearls and whatnot but many of the rooms with the best loot already have torches.

Yeah fair, feel like just equipping the tower shield and powering through hallways might be the way to go, can always equip the torch when its clear to find stuff I missed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gort posted:

Turns out this game has healing and stamina potions I probably should've been using to beat the third boss.

This feels like one of those, "So trivial nobody mentioned it", things.

General advice: almost everything the game lets you build has a beneficial purpose of some sort and you usually don't find out what that is until *after* you build it. So any time you unlock a new recipe you should make it your priority to build it just to see what happens. In this case the fermenter / cauldron

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I just discovered that for some reason the "dirty lens effect" in Valheim is tied to the bloom.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Built a new house that is a blood-crying skull

Game is real pretty

"I can't believe you've done this."

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like a lot of people sleep on the tasty mead. The tasty mead gives you like a 300% boost to stamina recovery for ~10 seconds or so and there is no cooldown. This can be invaluable when fighting bosses as it turbocharges your stamina regen when it is low. Remember it only helps stamina recovery, so it wont do anything if you are currently using stamina (running, jumping, swinging, etc).

I also sometimes use it when I am harvesting or running across the continent because I am impatient.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Do cripts respawn?

I don't think so.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Given how little of the circle is "bad wind" and how much of it is "you can sail with this wind" I am astonished how often the wind is literally exactly in the goddamn middle of that bad part of the circle no matter where I want to go

Game is 20/10 love it

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd kill for a boat upgrade that put a little roof, stove, and bed on the longboat in exchange for taking out the passenger seating

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Can anyone in the late game tell me if I need to kill the 4th boss in order to really get the ball rolling on crafting items from Plains materials? I can explore and kill everything in the Plains pretty comfortably solo with what I have, but am waiting to kill the boss with some buddies since we've been doing all of them together.

I've picked up a lot of different items from enemies and areas in the Plains, but gotten very few Recipes at the moment--am I missing something that's gated like the main mountain metal?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can Drakes, Lox, or Fenrings spawn starred? I think they are the only mobs I haven't seen with stars yet.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Can anyone in the late game tell me if I need to kill the 4th boss in order to really get the ball rolling on crafting items from Plains materials? I can explore and kill everything in the Plains pretty comfortably solo with what I have, but am waiting to kill the boss with some buddies since we've been doing all of them together.

I've picked up a lot of different items from enemies and areas in the Plains, but gotten very few Recipes at the moment--am I missing something that's gated like the main mountain metal?

Yes. While you can gather the black iron scraps before you kill the fourth boss, you can't do anything with them until you make something with what you get from her. You can also gather and start farming Flax and Barley, but again, you can't do anything with it without the boss item

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have an old haswell 8gb-ram laptop and I want to host valheim on it. If it's too bad I can get a server to host it on but in that case I have the same question: Can I use the same steam account to run the server on the one machine (laptop or hosted server), and to play the game on my desktop pc?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

redreader posted:

I have an old haswell 8gb-ram laptop and I want to host valheim on it. If it's too bad I can get a server to host it on but in that case I have the same question: Can I use the same steam account to run the server on the one machine (laptop or hosted server), and to play the game on my desktop pc?

Yes.

The server I've been playing on with friends is on a desktop in my friends living room while he plays on his main PC, and I know for a fact that he doesn't have any other steam accounts.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

So far as I can tell, my dedicated server isn't even authenticating through steam. I'm not super knowledgeable about how LinuxGSM works internally, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have the dedicated server because I downloaded it through steam. I ran it, and started up valheim on my main computer with the same account, and it's not working. Maybe I can just get the dedicated server for free? or yeah... maybe start it from the command line instead of through steam, durr. I'll try that now.