Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

eonwe posted:

to the surprise of absolutely noone, they're merging the original Archeage and the 'Unchained' servers

and yes, there will be another land rush because everyone will be losing their property

lol this genre rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Everyone loves houses in MMOs. Someone should create a house-making MMO.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dev: We are going to make it so that you can own property and it will be a major status and economic monument to dedicated players

Players: Does this mean we get to keep the plots when we invest resources in them

Dev: lmao no

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the thing is, a lot of the zones could easily be adjusted very slightly to give plenty of people plots

A lot of the reason I wanted a plot in a certain zone was to stage packs or grow stuff. Hell, even the initial week of a server opening could restrict plot placement to 1 per acct

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Why did they never make townhouses or something where you can stack on top of your friends/guildmates :thunk:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

kloa posted:

Why did they never make townhouses or something where you can stack on top of your friends/guildmates :thunk:

because the inevitable result of this is [small house] [skyscraper] [small house] and people making penises out of buildings

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
the humanity

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The first MMO where I can do Sim Tower with my guild members will have my undying loyalty.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

eonwe posted:

the thing is, a lot of the zones could easily be adjusted very slightly to give plenty of people plots

A lot of the reason I wanted a plot in a certain zone was to stage packs or grow stuff. Hell, even the initial week of a server opening could restrict plot placement to 1 per acct

Sure, but the scarcity is what makes it special.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sure, but the scarcity is what makes it special.

for me what made it special was the ability to stage packs and grow stuff that people couldn't steal

but I wasn't a landless pleb, i had a manor, a merchant ship, and a house on freedich

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i remember getting my first thunderstruck on my land, which was just obscenely lucky early on

all the rest of mine were from illegal cherry tree farms in Lilyut Hills that was just unfinished zone that you could only get to by using a gilder in a specific spot on the mountain and using at least 6 seconds of your like 10 second "stop being out of bounds" warning

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Are there ANY Western MMORPGs on the horizon that aren’t doomed Kickstarters or being overly generous with the definition of MMORPG? The last big one I can think of was the pair of Everquest sequels that failed to launch, and before that it’s uh...Wildstar.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Project Gorgon

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pants Donkey posted:

Are there ANY Western MMORPGs on the horizon that aren’t doomed Kickstarters or being overly generous with the definition of MMORPG? The last big one I can think of was the pair of Everquest sequels that failed to launch, and before that it’s uh...Wildstar.

Amazon will launch that New World game one day!

Or they'll cancel it like all of their other games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I keep wanting to get into Project Gorgon but it seems like a game where I'd have a ton of questions

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Everyone loves houses in MMOs. Someone should create a house-making MMO.

Star Wars Galaxies :colbert:

SWTOR is a MMO where you go save the galaxy. Galaxies was the MMO where you danced in a strip club from 9-5 for weeks so you could afford a bigger house.

And it was drat good and we need another game like that, no joke. A game like FFXIV that went even harder in the Galaxies housing direction would be amazing.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

A housing/building focused MMO that could attract the animal crossing and stardew valley crowd might be the only way to make a successful MMO these days.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Kaysette posted:

A housing/building focused MMO that could attract the animal crossing and stardew valley crowd might be the only way to make a successful MMO these days.

This is what everyone wanted from ArcheAge and partly why it sold so well. I just want to chill with goons, grow some crops, and decorate my house :sigh:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kaysette posted:

You mean Valheim (multiplayer but not massively so)?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LLSix posted:

If you go that route then Minecraft would be a much clearer one

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

That's the unfortunate part, multiplayer but not massively so

I'd have immediately bought if it was a MMO with megaworlds

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

LLSix posted:

Nah not a survival game. A persistent world social, communal space for crafting and fishing and marrying NPCs and chilling.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

eonwe posted:

I keep wanting to get into Project Gorgon but it seems like a game where I'd have a ton of questions

I played it before it was on steam and was still free. It was kind of fun but also insanely grindy, especially for the higher levels. The developer (I think it's just one dude) also liked to make things intentionally obtuse or time consuming for no real reason. It looks like poo poo, which doesn't really bother me, but it also ran terribly.

I've thought about buying it because it was fun to just run around the world and grind my cheesemaking skills every now and then, but I am definitely not paying $40 for it. If it was on sale for $15 or something, I'd probably pick it up. I'm pretty sure my character's been deleted and I'd have to start all over though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

O_O

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
a curtly-worded response

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That’s a real unfortunate (or intentional) misspelling right there...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kaysette posted:

This is likely why Wildstar lasted as long as it did, which is incredibly ironic when you consider how hard it leaned on the hardcore raid crowd.

Seriously, why hasn’t anyone taken that and just copy-pasted it into their game? FFXIV is close but limits who can get houses. Pretty princesses also need pretty castles :allears:

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

eonwe posted:

i remember getting my first thunderstruck on my land, which was just obscenely lucky early on

all the rest of mine were from illegal cherry tree farms in Lilyut Hills that was just unfinished zone that you could only get to by using a gilder in a specific spot on the mountain and using at least 6 seconds of your like 10 second "stop being out of bounds" warning

I remember getting a thunderstruck log from the tutorial/community garden area on one of the fresh start servers. I used that to fund some land/a house/the stuff to build a boat. I also got myself to like level 50 by just buying a bunch of workers comp and crafting poo poo for a few hours. It was like what I imagine being born to an obscenely wealthy family is like.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kedo posted:

That’s a real unfortunate (or intentional) misspelling right there...

Tbf I learned that word from playing Euchre and thought it was spelled that way because that's how it's pronounced (or at least how it is in the Midwest) so I just avoided saying it entirely until I learned "no, its just french"

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Pants Donkey posted:

There is a company called Athlon Games making a f2p Tolkien mmo. They paid $8 million for the rights but there are next to no details about the scope of the game or who the devs are. The president of the company was a marketing guy for Shadow of Mordor. They are using the New World engine and co-developing with Amazon to some degree. Recent sale of their parent company shows they were looking at a late '22/early '23 launch before COVID hit.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

gnoma posted:

They are using the New World engine and co-developing with Amazon to some degree.

LOL.

Even leaving aside the Amazoness, building a game on an engine that isn't finished yet and has no games to its name is a remarkable decision.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

LOL.

Even leaving aside the Amazoness, building a game on an engine that isn't finished yet and has no games to its name is a remarkable decision.

Lumberyard is finished and has multiple games to its name though?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Is Lumberyard the new Frostbite?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Lumberyard is finished and has multiple games to its name though?

Oops, I just assumed that it was a new engine. A quick Wikipedia check showed something that I think is even worse though. As many games using the engine have been cancelled as have been released using the engine. Hilariously, Star Citizen claims to be using it if it ever gets released.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the funny thing about Star Citizen is that they likely aren't actually on Lumberyard yet. CryTek actually argued in court that they're still using elements licensed under CryEngine. so basically just unlicensed CryEngine

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Pants Donkey posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/17/22187930/riot-games-mmo-league-of-legends

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

This is almost certainly going to be themepark to the extreme with lobbies and queues and instances.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
All rendered in the unique and distinctive visual style of League of Legends

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hytale might be alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Riot is basically the new Blizzard in that they take an existing genre, give it some tweaks, put a poo poo-load of polish, and come out with a pretty good game. Both Legends of Runeterra and Valorant are both quite good for what they are, even if what they are isn't revolutionary.

Which is to say that their MMO is absolutely going to be "WoW, but" and if you're hoping for a modern MMO in the style of Everquest or Ultima Online, keep throwing money at Kickstarters.