Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I know that, my views on school are forever going to be colored by my experiences unfortunately. I see how my nephews like school and miss their friends, which sucks for them. At the same time, I'd rather there not be a risk of them giving my parents, who are both in their mid 70's covid. Thankfully they've both gotten their first vaccine doses.

You are upset about the wrong side of that equation not being isolated. Your parents shouldn't be getting exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/02/19/colorado-education-association-teacher-survey-covid/

CO teachers are not liking it. 40% or so looking for the door.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My kid's school, which is taking all CDC measures, are calling more than once a week to let us know of another case in the school. And that's with a Hybrid system, and 50% coming in every other day.

My kids hate it, but are pretty good about their masks. I got the Rona last summer- really mild, but sucked bad for like 10 days- and we don't sugar coat stuff. They are both teenagers, so they understand it's slight hyperbole, but not unrealistic to remind them they could accidentally kill Grammy.

These kids have lost two years of learning that cannot be replaced. This is really bad for our kids.
But what is worse is them killing their loved ones because America is a collapsing Republic, and we have no safety net to prevent this kinda bullshit. If parents weren't forced to use schools as day care, if we paid people living wages, if we had a functional healthcare system- all the basic things we pay taxes for (in rational loving countries anyway), maybe we wouldn't have to decide on schools or living.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Teachers should have been right behind medical workers getting the vaccine

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Teachers should have been right behind medical workers getting the vaccine

Aren’t they?

In Illinois, both my mom and my sister have gotten shots. My mom because she’s been working in person at school district (part of IT/tech support). My sister because she’s a music teacher.

Different districts but both vaccinated.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thwomp posted:

Aren’t they?

In Illinois, both my mom and my sister have gotten shots. My mom because she’s been working in person at school district (part of IT/tech support). My sister because she’s a music teacher.

Nope. Only teacher I know who has gotten vaccinated did so on a willcall list, and had to drop everything to rush in and get hope to get one more than once.(note, this is only teacher I know personally, not a claim to be the only local teacher to get vaccinated)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lol remember this campaign promise as well

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/1304174234504179714

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The argument is that the detrimental effects to the young for missing out on a year of schooling outweigh their danger, as they are not generally a vector. Online schooling is a poor replacement and the consequences will follow for years. This is compounded in poor areas as they have less access to everything required to achieve a decent outcome online.

Resources should have been dedicated to allaying teachers and parents fears so students up to a certain age could resume in person instruction as well as helping poorer households achieve better outcomes. Now we are stuck with a poo poo outcome either way.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thwomp posted:

Aren’t they?

Georgia is currently Med Staff, Seniors, Caregivers of Seniors, LEO, Firefighters, and Dispatchers. Teachers are currently in the next phase which is "Everyone forced to go to work" thus far.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RFC2324 posted:

Nope. Only teacher I know who has gotten vaccinated did so on a willcall list, and had to drop everything to rush in and get hope to get one more than once.(note, this is only teacher I know personally, not a claim to be the only local teacher to get vaccinated)

About half the states prioritized teachers and the other half are being told "lol maybe April now let's open up."

lightpole posted:

The argument is that the detrimental effects to the young for missing out on a year of schooling outweigh their danger, as they are not generally a vector. Online schooling is a poor replacement and the consequences will follow for years. This is compounded in poor areas as they have less access to everything required to achieve a decent outcome online.

Resources should have been dedicated to allaying teachers and parents fears so students up to a certain age could resume in person instruction as well as helping poorer households achieve better outcomes. Now we are stuck with a poo poo outcome either way.

If by "allaying fears" you mean "spending money on implementing meaningful covid protocols" then sure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

These kids have lost two years of learning that cannot be replaced. This is really bad for our kids.

I figure the next step is them suspending standardized tests because it'll make this patently obvious. It'd be interesting to see ACT and SAT scores as well compared to pre-COVID times.

The old George Carlin bit about "pretty soon all you'll need to get into college is a fuckin' pencil" proves prophetic.

I still think the solution to "kids need two extra years of school" is to loop in community colleges nationwide to take in the former Juniors and Seniors.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Aren’t they?

South Carolina explicitly moved them to the very back of the line with the <65 healthy unemployed general public, behind manufacturing and retail.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I figure the next step is them suspending standardized tests because it'll make this patently obvious. It'd be interesting to see ACT and SAT scores as well compared to pre-COVID times.

The old George Carlin bit about "pretty soon all you'll need to get into college is a fuckin' pencil" proves prophetic.

I still think the solution to "kids need two extra years of school" is to loop in community colleges nationwide to take in the former Juniors and Seniors.

Most major universities have suspended standardized testing for applicants, so I would be shocked if that was the case.

Standardized test (at least SATs and ACTs) are poor indicators for college success. They correlate with wealth more so than anything else. It would be good to get rid of them in general. Even the graduate entries test are bullshit. At least the GRE and GMAT are useless, from what I understand LSAT and MCAT at least attempt to ask some relevant questions.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1363512058025762816?s=19

[Insert inappropriate comment about James Hodgkinson here]

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cugel the Clever posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1363512058025762816?s=19

[Insert inappropriate comment about James Hodgkinson here]

Does this mean... Does Steve Scalies think that Trump should have... Legitimately... Overthrown the government...?

Am I having a stroke?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Standardized test (at least SATs and ACTs) are poor indicators for college success.

Oh, agreed. I'm just implying that while local school districts are going to try and find a black hole to dump their cumulative grade data into for the foreseeable future, the national standardized tests might be the only real glimpse at just how collectively hosed things are educationally.

RFC2324 posted:

Does this mean... Does Steve Scalies think that Trump should have... Legitimately... Overthrown the government...?

Am I having a stroke?

First off, I'm going to start calling him Steve Scalies from now on.

And second, yes.

There's a quote by Arnold Rothstein that I'm probably going to butcher in paraphrasing. "If you don't take advantage of an idiot, you're dumber than he is." It should be the new motto of the GOP, which has very clearly developed an *overt* taste and craving for fascism which will just get louder and more apparent the closer we get to the midterms.

The only thing they seem to be collectively taking from the Grand Capitol Clusterfuck is that if they'd just had more competent people behind it, they'd have "won."

And that's terrifying.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 21, 2021

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

RFC2324 posted:

Am I having a stroke?

Why do you think they tried to do that? That's what they genuinely think. Or if they don't actually believe it, they don't care because it's a means to an end.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

It's an indictment of our priorities as a society that teaching doesn't require a professional degree and pays less than, say, banking or law.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's an indictment of our priorities as a society that teaching doesn't require a professional degree and pay more than, say, banking or law.

I've always felt like teaching nowadays would have a very high turnover rate with how many public school systems seem to be run and that eventually it'd be near impossible to find replacements for folks who do leave. I also despise charter schools and can't help but think they're just a scam to line the pockets of the folks that own them, but who knows.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I also despise charter schools and can't help but think they're just a scam to line the pockets of the folks that own them, but who knows.

Is this ever not the case when it comes to privatization? The only decent charter schools are run by non-profits, and even then it's hit and miss.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The longer we go without the Biden stimulus plan being passed the more I expect UI benefits to be replaced with "let's just reopen everything" as policy from the executive

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's an indictment of our priorities as a society that teaching doesn't require a professional degree and pays less than, say, banking or law.

But at least we're categorized as professional exempt employees just like doctors and lawyers!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Stultus Maximus posted:

But at least we're categorized as professional exempt employees just like doctors and lawyers!

Imagine the backlash if lawyers were expected to pay for their office supplies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lots of places require a master’s to teach but they still don’t pay poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bulletsponge13 posted:

My kid's school, which is taking all CDC measures, are calling more than once a week to let us know of another case in the school. And that's with a Hybrid system, and 50% coming in every other day.

My kids hate it, but are pretty good about their masks. I got the Rona last summer- really mild, but sucked bad for like 10 days- and we don't sugar coat stuff. They are both teenagers, so they understand it's slight hyperbole, but not unrealistic to remind them they could accidentally kill Grammy.

But what is worse is them killing their loved ones because America is a collapsing Republic, and we have no safety net to prevent this kinda bullshit. If parents weren't forced to use schools as day care, if we paid people living wages, if we had a functional healthcare system- all the basic things we pay taxes for (in rational loving countries anyway), maybe we wouldn't have to decide on schools or living.

https://twitter.com/maosbot/status/1363085317859921924
https://twitter.com/AlexHeffron20/status/1361946639158685696
https://twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1363359943282278400

Lots of people talking about Long Covid (god my irony poisoned brain just keeps thinking of it as Long Covid is Long and other dumb nonsense). Just cause people don't die doesn't mean that this is going to have very serious effects on society for the rest of our lives. You thought social services was stretched thin already? Wait till this poo poo works its way through the rest of the population.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/maosbot/status/1363085317859921924
https://twitter.com/AlexHeffron20/status/1361946639158685696
https://twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1363359943282278400

Lots of people talking about Long Covid (god my irony poisoned brain just keeps thinking of it as Long Covid is Long and other dumb nonsense). Just cause people don't die doesn't mean that this is going to have very serious effects on society for the rest of our lives. You thought social services was stretched thin already? Wait till this poo poo works its way through the rest of the population.

I haven't heard of Long COVID. I'm still having what I would call residuals, but I'm also pretty jacked up on the whole, so it's a chicken/egg thing.

This whole thing makes me irrationally angry, because when footage first worked out of Wuhan last year, I made a bunch of posts talking about how bad this was, and everyone called me paranoid and that I was over inflating things.

When I saw the Chinese government causing landslides and digging anti-tank ditches through a highway to keep people IN, I knew how bad it was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fallom posted:

If we pay teachers too much we'll have too many teachers and not enough drones to do the actual *work*!

...is what I'm sure the people who pay teachers too little would say if pressed on why they pay teachers so little. I mean, there's the old "those who can't do, teach" saying which is the polar opposite.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bulletsponge13 posted:

I haven't heard of Long COVID. I'm still having what I would call residuals, but I'm also pretty jacked up on the whole, so it's a chicken/egg thing.

This whole thing makes me irrationally angry, because when footage first worked out of Wuhan last year, I made a bunch of posts talking about how bad this was, and everyone called me paranoid and that I was over inflating things.

When I saw the Chinese government causing landslides and digging anti-tank ditches through a highway to keep people IN, I knew how bad it was.

when china shut down new years it was a pretty good tell of how hosed things got. they dont shut down new years for anything.

for all those people saying kids arent generally vectors go gently caress yourself. they are not somehow immune due to age. that is some stupid poo poo that has been pushed by morons who want state paid babysitters back.

again yes this sucks. so what.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

It's my understanding that if you already have a bachelors in something you want to teach, you have to pursue the the masters because it's often the easiest way to acquire a teaching certificate at that point.

My exwife is a math teacher, went math education for her bachelors, had a job after a semester of student teaching (which was unpaid and that is bullshit in itself). She started a masters program but burned out fast, would've earned her another $5k/yr at first and put her on short list for administrative positions. She's still teaching, if my google stalking is accurate.

It's not uncommon for people to get a useless bachelors (fault or not, let's not argue that) and have to go the education route for a masters.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ded posted:

when china shut down new years it was a pretty good tell of how hosed things got. they dont shut down new years for anything.

for all those people saying kids arent generally vectors go gently caress yourself. they are not somehow immune due to age. that is some stupid poo poo that has been pushed by morons who want state paid babysitters back.

There's a reason I canned my USA trip in late January

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ded posted:

Hey maybe reread what I said as that wasn't my point so right back at you.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm sure. But ripping up infrastructure the way they did freaked me out. That's a serious loving response.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the cool part (well, one of them, let's get real there's a lot of them!) is all the people who back then said you're paranoid or overreacting may still be saying the same thing!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If a high school senior is willing to provide a $40k yearly check there are dozens of colleges happy to have them with no regard for academic ability or there being a chance in hell they finish four years or even one. At my not great Christian college I dunno if anyone got rejected, and there were guys sleeping through finals or known as being “that burglary guy” feeding a gambling addiction. They just stopped being around after a few months but now had a whole lotta debt.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Going back to long covid for a moment. Me and my husband have been exposed numerous times and always tested negative, but occasionally he'll show covid like symptoms for a day or so then everything is back to normal. Stuff like fatigue or lack of taste, then it just comes back and everything is fine. Same with me, occasional sore throats, but that may be due to dry air and my cpap. Could these things just be lingering residuals from asymptomatic covid in the past?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
We don't know what Long Covid actually means we just know that some people who got it a year ago are still feeling symptoms of some sort, brain fog, fatigue, etc. and it happens across any age. It's possible it'll go away eventually but that still means you can potentially lose a year or more of your life being completely wiped out by Post Covid until your body puts itself back together.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If a high school senior is willing to provide a $40k yearly check there are dozens of colleges happy to have them with no regard for academic ability or there being a chance in hell they finish four years or even one. At my not great Christian college I dunno if anyone got rejected, and there were guys sleeping through finals or known as being “that burglary guy” feeding a gambling addiction. They just stopped being around after a few months but now had a whole lotta debt.

Don't forget the "*I* went to college so *YOU* have to go to college or I'm somehow a failure" middle-class parental trope.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Eej posted:

We don't know what Long Covid actually means we just know that some people who got it a year ago are still feeling symptoms of some sort, brain fog, fatigue, etc. and it happens across any age. It's possible it'll go away eventually but that still means you can potentially lose a year or more of your life being completely wiped out by Post Covid until your body puts itself back together.

There’s also evidence that children are experiencing the effects of Long Covid as well.

Yes it sucks depriving children of the unquantifiable social education they receive in school. But I’d much rather deal them deal with the scars from that as opposed to literal scars on their lungs.

The parents whose circumstances necessitate school’s daycare-like function are in a rough spot. It’s the ones who can keep their kids at home and are screaming and shouting to open er up that really are morons.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1363468237309161472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Love the replies upset about potential desecration of the decorumplane and no mention of POTUS making a serious attempt to kidnap himself

You just know Kim was thinking "gently caress they're not gonna bother to ransom this guy its not worth it"